Equipment Templates make Shared Equipment really annoying to use - Preemptive Complaint

[i'm starting this thread early because I know its going to be a problem. This also applies to legendaries.]

I use some of my shared inventory slots for legendaries. Every one of my characters have a disposable item. I can simply double click each piece to easily swap and use them. Then double click them all before logging off the character.

Here is a list of problems with equipment template swapping:

1. When I have an item equipped but then switch a build, my character isn't using the equipment anymore.
  2. If I try to swap with my shared inventory slots before logging, it isn't putting the equipment back and instead equipping them into the new build.
  3. If I link all the equipment on all the builds but put them in my shared inventory, the builds have forgotten them.
  4. Every time I switch characters, I have to re-equip the items on every one of my equipment templates.

Solving each problem leads into another problem or inconvenience. Its not playing well with shared inventory slots and easily swapping equipment between characters.

The only solution I can think of is to make it so that unused equipment builds remember what is slotted.

The announcement specifically says gathering tools are not part of equipment templates. It looks like they'll continue to work exactly as they do now.

(Also, forgive the stupid question but I'm not entirely awake yet, this reads like it's a problem you've actually enountered while playing. Did I miss something where we get to try build and equipment templates before they're released, or is this based on the announcement article and guild chat video?)

@Funky.4861 said:Or make it such that unequipped gathering tools return to their shared inv slot, instead of dumping to the first available char inv slot (which should have been the case since they were released tbh.)

The simplest way is to equip normal, mithril or orichalcum tools then put your permanent gathering tools in the shared inventory slots, then you can equip the shared tools by double clicking them and when you're done you re-equip the normal tools by double clicking them and your permanent tools will go right back to their shared slote.

I know and agree pifil, but that's a workaround for bad implementation. We shouldn't have to jump through hoops to make something work like it should have since it's introduction. If equipment from a shared inv slot remembered where it came from when unequipped, that might go some way to alleviating the upcoming gear/build template issues for legendary gear- at least it would dump into shared inv instead of char (so you don't have to move it to bank to equip on another char).

@Danikat.8537 said:The announcement specifically says gathering tools are not part of equipment templates. It looks like they'll continue to work exactly as they do now.

(Also, forgive the stupid question but I'm not entirely awake yet, this reads like it's a problem you've actually enountered while playing. Did I miss something where we get to try build and equipment templates before they're released, or is this based on the announcement article and guild chat video?)

I specifically said in the title and at the top of the post this is preemptive.

I have a potential solution, albeit forced and dirty:

DON'T INCLUDE ANY GEAR YOU SHARE AMONG YOUR CHARACTERS IN THE EQUIPMENT TEMPLATEFor example: You have a legendary sword you use for your thief, revenenant and guardian. When you make their gear templates, exclude the sword when you save it. This way, it doesn't go in the armory or whatever they call it.

Unless of course, gear templates are auto-saved in which case, disregard this potential solution.

@borgs.6103 said:I have a potential solution, albeit forced and dirty:

DON'T INCLUDE ANY GEAR YOU SHARE AMONG YOUR CHARACTERS IN THE EQUIPMENT TEMPLATEFor example: You have a legendary sword you use for your thief, revenenant and guardian. When you make their gear templates, exclude the sword when you save it. This way, it doesn't go in the armory or whatever they call it.

Unless of course, gear templates are auto-saved in which case, disregard this potential solution.

Gear templates auto save.

@Seera.5916 said:

@borgs.6103 said:I have a potential solution, albeit forced and dirty:

DON'T INCLUDE ANY GEAR YOU SHARE AMONG YOUR CHARACTERS IN THE EQUIPMENT TEMPLATE
For example: You have a legendary sword you use for your thief, revenenant and guardian. When you make their gear templates, exclude the sword when you save it. This way, it
doesn't go in the armory
or whatever they call it.

Gear templates auto save.

gear and traits auto save as you change them but at borgs..theres no reason to keep a sword out of templates, you can unequip the sword at any time and it will leave the armory and return to your inventory.

The problem is the gear tempates won't save what stats you used on that sword for any of your characters..and you have to remake the templates, everytime you re-equip

@kharmin.7683 said:Curious. OP, did you watch the live stream?

I did in full.

@Linken.6345 said:Well OP easy fix make ascended armors/weapons for all your alts ( or legendaries if you really want the stat swap funktionality across toons)Should have been like that from the start imo.

Simply because legendaries exist and were designed to be friendly to be used on alts, this would be a solution that would further discourage the point of legendaries. Remove stuff from a slot removes their selected stats/rune/sigil choice.