how is ranger currently

kiritsugu emeya.3962

@kiritsugu emeya.3962 said:i have been taking a break from the game for a while now, just wondering about the current state with ranger in both pvp and wvw, is it really that bad?

Nope. From my POV is not bad. In both PVP and WvW he is still doing very good. Even they nerfed GS and Longbow AA, even they nerfed Sic'Em! , Ranger is still a very good class for roaming and in sPVP. In PVP I was only in Platinum I, I don't how it can perform in Platinum II or III or Legendary. But in Platinum I, I can say I beated most of the time the enemy in 1 vs 1, and I defended a point vs 2 enemies for many seconds till the reinforcement came. Ofc my playing time 4am-7am London time and 200 ping didn't help me much, but still.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

Nope. From my POV is not bad. In both PVP and WvW he is still doing very good. Even they nerfed GS and Longbow AA, even they nerfed Sic'Em! , Ranger is still a very good class for roaming and in sPVP. In PVP I was only in Platinum I, I don't how it can perform in Platinum II or III or Legendary. But in Platinum I, I can say I beated most of the time the enemy in 1 vs 1, and I defended a point vs 2 enemies for many seconds till the reinforcement came. Ofc my playing time 4am-7am London time and 200 ping didn't help me much, but still.

from what I heard so far they only swapped gs4 to a full 4s block i think, this shouldn't be considered as a nerf, did they mess with any other gs skills that I'm not aware of?

@kiritsugu emeya.3962 said:did they mess with any other gs skills that I'm not aware of?

Yes - they took the evade out of the end of the GS autoattack chain, which messed up a lot of folks who came to depend on it as part of a good melee rotation. Instead of giving an evade frame, the final attack in the chain gives back some endurance. It still takes forever and a day to channel the whole final attack.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

@kiritsugu emeya.3962 said:did they mess with any other gs skills that I'm not aware of?

Yes - they took the evade out of the end of the GS autoattack chain, which messed up a lot of folks who came to depend on it as part of a good melee rotation. Instead of giving an evade frame, the final attack in the chain gives back some endurance. It still takes forever and a day to channel the whole final attack.

WAIT WHAT!! Who in the hell in the balancing team thought it was a good idea to remove the evade frame???Devs do me a favor and play ur kitten game, you dont play it therefore you dont understand it. Thats why you dont know how to balance it.The evade frame on 3rd auto skill has been in game SINCE LAUNCH. So you just now remembered to remove it? Did MANY ppl complain about it? I guarantee it may have been 1% who did, others didnt even care about it. Rip our matchup with condi mes now, Ranger basically may not be able to get head to head in 1v1s at a high skill match with most of melee classes, nor it can in team fights. The 3rd auto evade was so unique for ranger it gave us room to get toe to toe with mesmers, weavers, staff thiefs, wars, power fbs, timing enemy burst skills with it. Its why i loved the weapon.

Nerfed sicem and lb it was fair, nerfing soulbeasts dmg its still fair, nerfed boonbeast fair aswell, nerfed druid... idk why but ok... not many play it anyways because of you. And now you nerf/remove this? Whats next? Rip

@kiritsugu emeya.3962 said:

WAIT WHAT!! Who in the hell in the balancing team thought it was a good idea to remove the evade frame???Devs do me a favor and play ur kitten game, you dont play it therefore you dont understand it. Thats why you dont know how to balance it.The evade frame on 3rd auto skill has been in game SINCE LAUNCH. So you just now remembered to remove it? Did MANY ppl complain about it? I guarantee it may have been 1% who did, others didnt even care about it. Rip our matchup with condi mes now, Ranger basically may not be able to get head to head in 1v1s at a high skill match with most of melee classes, nor it can in team fights. The 3rd auto evade was so unique for ranger it gave us room to get toe to toe with mesmers, weavers, staff thiefs, wars, power fbs, timing enemy burst skills with it. Its why i loved the weapon.

Nerfed sicem and lb it was fair, nerfing soulbeasts dmg its still fair, nerfed boonbeast fair aswell, nerfed druid... idk why but ok... not many play it anyways because of you. And now you nerf/remove this? Whats next? Rip

Didn't they give us a full block on GS4 to better deal with melee classes?

@Arheundel.6451 said:

Arheundel, you can say whatever you want, but all changes were a nerf for GS. Yes the block now it is a proper block, better than before, but we lost an evade and 1 damage skill , a range skill.

Arheundel, you can say whatever you want, but all changes were a nerf for GS. Yes the block now it is a proper block, better than before, but we lost an evade and 1 damage skill , a range skill.

People may disagree with me and all but..in the end of the day the GS AA chain cancel has been identified as an exploit or unintended action . In the past, other professions have received the same type of treatment : like RTL on ele, they removed the ability to use it mid air, while it was left untouched on ancestral grace; or when they removed the ability to shoot back from scepter ele, mantra mesmer and rifle engi or when they removed the ability of thieves to preload vault from distance and steal/teleport on unaware target.

The kick after a successful block is also an evade, people tend to forget about it... We lost an evade on one attack and gained one on another.

@Miellyn.6847 said:The kick after a successful block is also an evade, people tend to forget about it... We lost an evade on one attack and gained one on another.

many times useless, when you didn't kick because of the enemy steps back:). In the same time, I don't think you can compare an evade at 12 sec with an evade at every 2 sec.

@Miellyn.6847 said:

The kick after a successful block is also an evade, people tend to forget about it... We lost an evade on one attack and gained one on another.

That evade on GS4 after successful block is another root that lasts 3/4 s. You can't move and kite with it, like you could with #3 from AA chain. GS5 is still a root too.3rd attack of AA chain remains 3/4s when endurance gain is trash and there is a huge aftercast, while both warrior and guardian GS chains have 1/2 s cast time.

Ranger is in a total mess now weapon wise at least imo.

I am going to talk from an sPvP perspective. Ranger does not really shine anywhere but is a good class for solo queue. Sustain is not great so you cannot hold nodes and have to rely on mobility, the damage not impressive but what ranger does still have is sustain damage/harass and versatility. This was usefull to increase your rank this season because many players tried different builds that they were not used to.

Core power ranger is what I played this all season and describe next. If you played ranger a lot you can skip to overall ^^ (I think this applies to ranger in general)

Range : Core ranger is still a good way to have the long range play style. You can assist your allies with cc, aoe barrage and deal a decent amount of dmg to someone locked down. It is also mandatory if you want to contest someone on a point. Repositioning is still mandatory as you are weak to professions with tp who will prioritize you (scourges taking the dmg for you become rare these days :cold_sweat: ). I often had 2 or 3 people on me at the start of the mid fight.

Close combat : Other described the greatsword changes. You have a great antiburst now but overall weak sustain for longer fight so knowing if you can go in or not is crucial. GS/gazelle combo can still deal 60% of someone hp but is hard to pull off. Running away is also something the GS is good at. Not to mention smokescale combo. (but you do not chase someone with GS you will never get them)

Overall : Great to decap, contest and even have an impact in TF, you can still “solo carry”. Just do not expect to be a master of kills or tank (ranger has decent anti burst for both condi and physical but not a huge sustain) because you cannot really challenge other professions for this. Having an eye on the mini-map, and allies number of alteration is helpfull because letting your allies die and moving from point to point is often the best thing to do if you see one ally down and ennemies still having high HP.

HEY MAN!

Ranger is FIRE right now! Seriously. The GS auto evade nerf SUCKS and there are times where I eat prime light beams or full power mes shatters or something because I am mid "ENDURING STAB" and thinking it's still gonna let me evade. The nerf of GS throw SUCKS and it's pretty brutal not being able to chase someone down without it. Or being able to swap, throw it in, and then come in with swoop or smokescale assault....

What this has meant for me, is I have to be more opportunistic with when I go into the fight, and since it's no longer as optimal to just swap to GS if they have CDs up and can just run away from me now that crippling throw is gone - and this is actually kind of a good thing, it makes ME play smarter imo.

What we gained: GS 4. A three second block feels like an eternity, yeah we could auto GS evade for about 3s, and we had the block that we could use to kite and whatnot, but this FEELS way longer and gives a nice reprieve from the mental speed gymnastics you'd have to do on ranger before when your counterattack got triggered. On top of that, the Counterattack kick now hitting 3 targets is actually major. I too was worried about mesmers and clones and whatnot, but being able to just straight up block everything for 3s and then cleave all the clones out in front of you with an evade knockback is actually pretty sweet - and one of the main reasons why this skill turned out OK, even if I lament the losses of the other skills.

I solo queued up to Top 10 this season and had some of the most fun I have had in awhile. Of course, I play a little more DPS and roaming oriented than you do, but I actually was forced to make sure home was ok for most games which meant fighting wars, eles, mesmers, thieves, etc and I came out on top or held long enough for the situation to change where I could get a + or I could leave - a big part of this was GS 4.

Give it a shot,I think ranger is in a solid place. The new sword changes are sweet, the new GS change is actually good, I've seen viable boonbeasts, core rangers, and lb/gs soulbeasts as well. Game is in a pretty decent spot right now imo.

@"Eurantien.4632" said:HEY MAN!

Ranger is FIRE right now! Seriously. The GS auto evade nerf SUCKS and there are times where I eat prime light beams or full power mes shatters or something because I am mid "ENDURING STAB" and thinking it's still gonna let me evade. The nerf of GS throw SUCKS and it's pretty brutal not being able to chase someone down without it. Or being able to swap, throw it in, and then come in with swoop or smokescale assault....

What this has meant for me, is I have to be more opportunistic with when I go into the fight, and since it's no longer as optimal to just swap to GS if they have CDs up and can just run away from me now that crippling throw is gone - and this is actually kind of a good thing, it makes ME play smarter imo.

What we gained: GS 4. A three second block feels like an eternity, yeah we could auto GS evade for about 3s, and we had the block that we could use to kite and whatnot, but this FEELS way longer and gives a nice reprieve from the mental speed gymnastics you'd have to do on ranger before when your counterattack got triggered. On top of that, the Counterattack kick now hitting 3 targets is actually major. I too was worried about mesmers and clones and whatnot, but being able to just straight up block everything for 3s and then cleave all the clones out in front of you with an evade knockback is actually pretty sweet - and one of the main reasons why this skill turned out OK, even if I lament the losses of the other skills.

I solo queued up to Top 10 this season and had some of the most fun I have had in awhile. Of course, I play a little more DPS and roaming oriented than you do, but I actually was forced to make sure home was ok for most games which meant fighting wars, eles, mesmers, thieves, etc and I came out on top or held long enough for the situation to change where I could get a + or I could leave - a big part of this was GS 4.

Give it a shot,I think ranger is in a solid place. The new sword changes are sweet, the new GS change is actually good, I've seen viable boonbeasts, core rangers, and lb/gs soulbeasts as well. Game is in a pretty decent spot right now imo.

yes i can see how gs4 change is a benefit for us with a full 3s block, but if you compare it to the gs AA evade, an evade every AA is what helped us in sustaining fights, it was mostly our staying power "counter pressure" other than the gs4+jump, we literally can't stay in team fights any longer in PVP which is our only winning condition in high tier matches, holding points as well, I'm pretty sure you have done it as well where game score was so close where you had to hold the node for a good amount of time in order to get some benefit out of the timer. also, why would anyone go through a full gs auto chain currently to get endurance? but at what cost? especially when going against warriors, holos,revs they would gain alot from attack spaming us during our hope to get some endurance out of it.I still can't believe that they labeled the nerf as a RANDOM DODGE. this alone brings up many questions, is the current balance team working in anet or did they get them from another mmo? it was literally implemented in the game 7 years ago... do you guys know what skills you're creating in each class?

anyways Eura i havent played so i cant judge, but its just soo fraustrating and depressing. I just can't see ranger having 1v1s on "node" at least holding it, and staying in team fights happening.

@"kiritsugu emeya.3962" said:anyways Eura i havent played so i cant judge, but its just soo fraustrating and depressing. I just can't see ranger having 1v1s on "node" at least holding it, and staying in team fights happening.

But you can hold a node 1 vs 1, many times vs 2 (depends of their classes ofc) if one of them is not Reaper, Mesmer or another heavy condition build. You can stay in team fights too, with a little more in/out moves of the hot zone.

@"Eurantien.4632" said:HEY MAN!

yes i can see how gs4 change is a benefit for us with a full 3s block, but if you compare it to the gs AA evade, an evade every AA is what helped us in sustaining fights, it was mostly our staying power "counter pressure" other than the gs4+jump, we literally can't stay in team fights any longer in PVP which is our only winning condition in high tier matches, holding points as well, I'm pretty sure you have done it as well where game score was so close where you had to hold the node for a good amount of time in order to get some benefit out of the timer. also, why would anyone go through a full gs auto chain currently to get endurance? but at what cost? especially when going against warriors, holos,revs they would gain alot from attack spaming us during our hope to get some endurance out of it.I still can't believe that they labeled the nerf as a RANDOM DODGE. this alone brings up many questions, is the current balance team working in anet or did they get them from another mmo? it was literally implemented in the game 7 years ago... do you guys know what skills you're creating in each class?

anyways Eura i havent played so i cant judge, but its just soo fraustrating and depressing. I just can't see ranger having 1v1s on "node" at least holding it, and staying in team fights happening.

I initially felt the EXACT SAME WAY, but honestly, the thing now is, you just straight up don't get autos off a full auto chain unless you're chasing someone, cleaving, or invulned up (to the best of our ability), and you're pretty much never autoing for the endurance but just because you can do it safely and you've got NOTHING left.

I did not mean to give off the impression I was solely home noding. I was zerker lb/gs and I definitely waded into teamfights, and stayed and stuck it out a lot easier with the new GS 4. I was able to provide way more counterpressure with the new Counterattack Kick because it's a 3 target "cone" type CC that does solid damage and since I run MM if I get an interrupt it proc's bonus damage on the follow up maul and that a huge damage combo. It provides way more counterpressure than the old auto attack evade chain used to (especially since we never let the third hit land for the dmg anyway)., You can even do things like block -> smoke assault -> counter attack now. It's really quite good.

WAIT WHAT!! Who in the hell in the balancing team thought it was a good idea to remove the evade frame???Devs do me a favor and play ur kitten game, you dont play it therefore you dont understand it.

meh, pretty sure they understood how the evade chain was abused. Is that really the point you're trying to make? That they ""didn't understand"" people gained 3 x the intended evade?

I still can't believe that they labeled the nerf as a RANDOM DODGE. this alone brings up many questions, is the current balance team working in anet or did they get them from another mmo? it was literally implemented in the game 7 years ago... do you guys know what skills you're creating in each class?

You use it out of context btw. Nobody ever said the dodge randomly found its way into the game, tbh I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

WAIT WHAT!! Who in the hell in the balancing team thought it was a good idea to remove the evade frame???Devs do me a favor and play ur kitten game, you dont play it therefore you dont understand it.

meh, pretty sure they understood how the evade chain was abused. Is that really the point you're trying to make? That they ""didn't understand"" people gained 3 x the intended evade?

I still can't believe that they labeled the nerf as a RANDOM DODGE. this alone brings up many questions, is the current balance team working in anet or did they get them from another mmo? it was literally implemented in the game 7 years ago... do you guys know what skills you're creating in each class?

You use it out of context btw. Nobody ever said the dodge randomly found its way into the game, tbh I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

lol i laugh so loud when you saud abuse the evade . man just move from the ranger forum if your such an hater comon people need to be real for once sake

I'd say core ranger is the best for ladder at the moment, with soulbeast lagging right behind it. The burst is still there, shredding inexperienced players, and the GS 4 change actually helps a lot against warriors and revenants. You won't be holding 1v2 for long against players who know what they're doing, though.

If you can time your time stuff, it's fairly decent against thieves. Just be sure to take the condi cleanse line in Nature Magic.

@BadSanta.6527 said:

lol i laugh so loud when you saud abuse the evade . man just move from the ranger forum if your such an hater comon people need to be real for once sake

Wait, so you're seriously saying it wasn't being abused? :lol:

And what about taking "random dodge" out of context?Seriously, how about you actually answer to that post instead of trying to brush everything to "being a hater"?

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

Wait, so you're seriously saying it wasn't being abused? :lol:

And what about taking "random dodge" out of context?Seriously, how about you actually answer to that post instead of trying to brush everything to "being a hater"?

Can you link me a thread about 3rd skill of GS being abused? I didn't hear ANYBODY complaining about this. I can bet with you that more than 95% of Rangers didn't know about this either. Please stop being a hater for nothing ...

@"Dragonzhunter.8506" said:

YOU can say whatever you want. But GS AA evasion was a crutch exploit for "top" players. Who cares if a bug was in the game since launch. Now instead of having to engage opponents to earn evasion and having block easily counter by a melee hit that locks you into an vulnerable animation, you now can block completely and evade after at your own choice. In other words, linear players got nerfed. True rangers have seen the buffs for what they are.

@Sobx.1758 said:

I am assuming that you don't play ranger based on your reply alone... 98% of rangers don't even KNOW ABOUT this, so how can they abuse something they dont know about LMAO ? i can literally count the rangers that know about the gs AA chain evade on both na and eu, you just can't predict the reason for the change based on the first thing that came into ur mind "abuse" when in FACT ITS NOT . not many knew about it and not one single person thought it was strong and hence deserves a removal.

You use it out of context btw.
Nobody ever said
the dodge randomly found its way into the game, tbh I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

I recommend reading the notes of the class section that you're here for... https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/88470/upcoming-balance-notes-10-1-2019/p1"We hope these changes will make the weapon feel a little smoother while removing some of the frustrating random dodges that happens when fighting against it"I mean anet are contradicting what they implemented in the game from what they wrote, arent they?