Equipment Templates QOL

Firstly, let me say I am blown away by the Build Templates, these look great and will provide a huge QOL improvement. A big thanks to all the Devs for their hard work.

However, the Equipment templates don't seem to have the same impact, and from what I saw on the Guild Chat last night, actually have a negative effect on QOL making it more cumbersome and difficult to change gear between characters.

Currently, if I have a staff, (a weapon used by many classes) in my shared inventory slot, it is so easy to swap this weapon between multiple characters.

Now, with the new Equipment Templates, I have to remove the weapon from one characters Template slot, then move it to the shared inventory slot, then swap characters, and add that to his Equipment Template. Then when I'm finished, unbind the weapon form his Equipment Template, move to shared, slot go back to other character, and add it to his Equipment Template.

This is a very clunky system, and seems to be a step backwards having 2 extra steps to swap weapons between characters. Also, given that legendary gear is designed to make swapping builds between characters a lot easier, this new system actually discourages the pursuit of legendary gear, as it would be cheaper and easier to have lots of ascended weapons of the same type, i.e. 6 ascended staffs are probably still cheaper than Bitfrost.

All it would take is for the weapons, once added to an Equipment Template, to be account bound, and the weapons stored in some sort of shared inventory slot, with a sense checker to make sure that you're not trying to give a Mesmer a longbow for example.

If Equipment Templates functioned like build templates, this new system would be perfect.

This. Please change this. Swapping legendary weapons around through countless loading screens as I try to remember which character had them last was the main thing I wanted build templates to address. They're account bound, so why not let them be used between characters without swapping? It's not like you're going to be playing two characters at once. Make a counter to keep track of how many your account has so you can't apply it to more than one slot (like two incinerators in one weapon set if you have only one).

This was the only real problem I had with the current system, so leaving this as a major problem severely detracts from the system's usefulness for me and I'm sure many others. I'm more than willing to pay for as many slots as I need, but not if this part remains how it is, because then build swapping is just as much of a headache as it was before.

Another QoL they could add at some point in the future would be the ability to save "virtual" gear templates. These would allow a player with legendary items to save variations of a single gear set that might be brought up by right clicking on a gear tab with legendary items in it. I realize this might be difficult to do given the current engine code, but maybe not.

You're thinking about it from the point of view of a game, but you need to look at it as a data transaction or database.

Character 1 would be user 1 / row 1 , the item they equipped would be a field in a column for example NevermoreCharacter 2 would be user 2 / row 2 , the item they have equipped would be a field in a columnAccount Shared inventory would essentially be another row separate from the first 2.

(maybe it is stored such that it is transposed , i.e. what I'm calling rows are columns)

When you unequip into a shared inventory slot it moves the data from the character 1's field to another field designed as shared inventory. Accessing another character's item would bring into question data integrity. The only way I can see it working is if there was a 2 click process , where you unequip all legendaries into an account-wide storage (shared inventory or bank) and then re-equip them on another character via loading templates or otherwise. You'd still have the data transaction that removes it from the 1st character , into the shared inventory, and the onto the other 2nd character.

From what I've seen in the guildchat it seems switching templates dumps all items back into the character bag slots.

" Right-clicking on a tab brings up a menu with the following options: Copy Equipment Template, Paste Equipment Template, Rename, Unequip All Items. Equipment templates cannot be loaded if the gear is incompatible with your current build.""Right-click on an item and select "Unequip from All Equipment Templates" to return it to your inventory."

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I dislike the most about the Equipment Template system is the equipment storage. It complicates things a lot when you are looking for a specific item. I wish they had kept unequipped gear in a character's inventory, which is much more convenient for swapping items (i.e., between equipped and unequipped slots).

I also hope they will find a way to ease the usage of legendary equipment...

@Ashantara.8731 said:The one thing I dislike the most about the Equipment Template system is the equipment storage. It complicates things a lot when you are looking for a specific item. I wish they had kept unequipped gear in a character's inventory, which is much more convenient for swapping items (i.e., between equipped and unequipped slots).

Half the feature interest for me is that fact that its stores gear out of inventory.

If they get rid of that thats half the appeal of the Equipment templates gone with it.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:The one thing I dislike the most about the Equipment Template system is the equipment storage. It complicates things a lot when you are looking for a specific item. I wish they had kept unequipped gear in a character's inventory, which is much more convenient for swapping items (i.e., between equipped and unequipped slots).

Half the feature interest for me is that fact that its stores gear out of inventory.

If they get rid of that thats half the appeal of the Equipment templates gone with it.

Dont you mean all of the appeal?Since there is no point to have 1-6 diffrent equipment sets if the spare 1-5 sets still reside in inventory.

@Linken.6345 said:

Dont you mean all of the appeal?Since there is no point to have 1-6 diffrent equipment sets if the spare 1-5 sets still reside in inventory.

from what I understand, the gear in templates are not in inventory. So that saves me bag space and allow me to freely switch between my gear when I want by clicking a template. So thats both major appeals to me. I am more willing to make different stat armors now since it wont take up inventory which is limited. I dont raid, so Legendary armor is not a factor for me.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

from what I understand, the gear in templates are not in inventory. So that saves me bag space and allow me to freely switch between my gear when I want by clicking a template. So thats both major appeals to me. I am more willing to make different stat armors now since it wont take up inventory which is limited. I dont raid, so Legendary armor is not a factor for me.

Yes and I say without that all the appeal of equipment template is gone not half of it.

@Linken.6345 said:

Yes and I say without that all the appeal of equipment template is gone not half of it.

well for me half the appeal is that free inventory space, and the other half is ability to swap gear on the fly

Actually this is a perfect design imo. You dont want to fuck the economy by having it shareable. And it would be pointless to even make legendary because there are only a few major stat builds, berserker with scholar, viper with renegade, blah blah blah. Besides if you do have all these builds chances are you already all the armor you need. It feels like people want to cheat the system. If it was sharable between all characters i would never need to make any gear ever again. And things like character slots would be useless after 9.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

well for me half the appeal is that free inventory space, and the other half is ability to swap gear on the fly

I assume you guys only have exotic gear? That would explain why you are in favor of this inconvenient design.

If equipment storage was account wide and unequipping an item wouldn't remove it from it, then I would approve of equipment storage as well.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

I assume you guys only have exotic gear? That would explain why you are in favor of this inconvenient design.

If equipment storage was
account wide
and unequipping an item wouldn't remove it from it,
then
I would approve of equipment storage as well.

No I have ascended on every toon so dont matter that it aint account wide.

@Linken.6345 said:No I have ascended on every toon so dont matter that it aint account wide.

So? Just because it doesn't matter to you - I mean, that is a very selfish stance. I have ascended and legendary equipment on all of my characters as well, but I still feel for those who don't.

Also, the points being made about this template feature's technical limitations still stand. A simpler version would have been preferable.

I can't wrap my head around the inconsistency of the template upgrades.Build templates have an account template and a character template, so why can't Equipment templates use the same system?I mean, the downside would be that then there is quadruple monetisation, and I can see that irking some people, but I'd happily put my hand in pocket if it got around the problem of having to unequip gear from a characters equipment, before swapping, then having to re-add it to template.What I can see in the future is I'm going to have to completely re-build my equipment template every other day, or however frequently I swap gear between characters.Bottom line, this is not a well implemented system :(

@"Stu Grockalot.2937" said:I can't wrap my head around the inconsistency of the template upgrades.Build templates have an account template and a character template, so why can't Equipment templates use the same system?I mean, the downside would be that then there is quadruple monetisation, and I can see that irking some people, but I'd happily put my hand in pocket if it got around the problem of having to unequip gear from a characters equipment, before swapping, then having to re-add it to template.What I can see in the future is I'm going to have to completely re-build my equipment template every other day, or however frequently I swap gear between characters.Bottom line, this is not a well implemented system :(

Because they dont want this to become a way for Elite Min/maxers to use this to see your gear.

"Hey you, link your Gear Template if you want to join the raid"

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Because they dont want this to become a way for Elite Min/maxers to use this to see your gear.

"Hey you, link your Gear Template if you want to join the raid"

Or they could simply make it that you can only ping your build, but still allow you to combine build and gear in one save = one click to swap.