Mesmer and Thief portals need adjusting for wvw and spvp

Swagger.1459

It’s not healthy to have any skills that can port a player out of combat 5,000 range, and it’s equally unhealthy to easily gain access into a structure.

Portal skills need adjusting to 1,200 range inside of pvp modes. Portals should also be restricted to line of sight rules, and prevented from travel onto uneven terrain such as on top of hills, walls and such.

Ty!

I guess portals should not be functional if walls/gates are closed.

Quite annoying having to deal with a perma-stealthed Deadeye hiding in a keep or a tower that can port a Mesmer in to port a zerg.

I won't mind portals, just mind their functionality when the structure is closed as in getting others inside without sieging.

@Yannir.4132 said:A good way to dumb down the game even more.

“Dumb down” examples...

-Set portal inside structure.

-Exit structure and attack player(s).

-Port back safely inside structure, up to 5,000 units away, when it gets hairy within that 60s.

-Rinse and repeat.

.... ... ...

-Lose battle for objective against opponents.

-Hide in permastealth.

-Port your side right back in a few minutes later like it’s nothing.

...Sorry, those 2 examples are not healthy to have inside pvp modes.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Yannir.4132 said:A good way to dumb down the game even more.

“Dumb down” examples...

-Set portal inside structure.

-Exit structure and attack player(s).

-Port back safely inside structure, up to 5,000 units away, when it gets hairy within that 60s.

-Rinse and repeat.

.... ... ...

-Lose battle for objective against opponents.

-Hide in permastealth.

-Port your side right back in a few minutes later like it’s nothing.

...Sorry, those 2 examples are not healthy to have inside pvp modes.

I hear u but at least it requires some premeditation and planning in a mode most just blob and spam aoe's around said blob. With fb/scourge around doing what they do and revs sitting back hammering away adding to it, what's the point of complaining about ports in wvw. Let's not pretend its anything but a brainless spam fiesta of aoe and boons that a 8 yr old could reliably do if u showed them the keys lol. Least the portal require a little pre planning and thought even if only a little. Still more than what's going on in this games so called blob vs blob epic battles lol

@Auburner.6945 said:I guess portals should not be functional if walls/gates are closed.

Quite annoying having to deal with a perma-stealthed Deadeye hiding in a keep or a tower that can port a Mesmer in to port a zerg.

I won't mind portals, just mind their functionality when the structure is closed as in getting others inside without sieging.

this.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@"Swagger.1459" said:-Port back safely inside structure, up to 5,000 units away, when it gets hairy within that 60s.

That would be 30 seconds. Which is why Portal isn't run in PvP. You can't do anything worthy of sacrificing that utility slot in 30 seconds.

Duration 60s.

I mean if you're cool with it, then my Necro would like to have https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Necrotic_Traversal go 5.000 units and not obey line of sight. We could also make https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spectral_Walk last 60s and allow the player to port up to 5,000 units... Let's not forget to update this https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sand_Swell to 60s, be able to port back to my starting spot 5,000 units away and not obey line of sight rules...

@"Swagger.1459" said:Duration 60s.

I mean if you're cool with it, then my Necro would like to have https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Necrotic_Traversal go 5.000 units and not obey line of sight. We could also make https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spectral_Walk last 60s and allow the player to port up to 5,000 units... Let's not forget to update thishttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sand_Swell to 60s and be able to port back to my starting spot 5,000 units away...

Are you looking at the PvE duration?https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Portal_EntreClearly says 30 seconds.

@Yannir.4132 said:

@"Swagger.1459" said:Duration 60s.

I mean if you're cool with it, then my Necro would like to have
go 5.000 units and not obey line of sight. We could also make
last 60s and allow the player to port up to 5,000 units... Let's not forget to update thishttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sand_Swell to 60s and be able to port back to my starting spot 5,000 units away...

Are you looking at the PvE duration?
Clearly says 30 seconds.

Right, just for Mesmer portal, but it's still used in both modes. Thief is 60s. Regardless, these skills break things in wvw and spvp, and if you think they are ok, then I want those changes on my Necro so I could see the crying on the forums.

Edit- Furthermore, my request has nothing to do with duration.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:Duration 60s.

last 60s and allow the player to port up to 5,000 units... Let's not forget to update thishttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sand_Swell to 60s and be able to port back to my starting spot 5,000 units away...

Clearly says 30 seconds.

Right, just for Mesmer portal, but it's still used in both modes. Thief is 60s. Regardless, these skills break things in wvw and spvp, and if you think they are ok, then I want those changes on my Necro so I could see the crying on the forums.

Making spectral walk port up to 5000 would be a nerf as is has no range limit.

As for what is healthy, wvw has the marked debuff, traps, and the upcoming patch is going to restore/expand reveals even more. Spvp encourages fast rotation and running from unwinnable fights.

Maybe you just don't like necromancer? Try playing a profession with higher mobility.

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

Clearly says 30 seconds.

As for what is healthy, wvw has the marked debuff, traps, and the upcoming patch is going to restore/expand reveals even more. Spvp encourages fast rotation and running from unwinnable fights.

Maybe you just don't like necromancer? Try playing a profession with higher mobility.

“Spectral Walk lasts for 10 seconds, after which you can no longer use Spectral Recall.”

@Swagger.1459 said:

Clearly says 30 seconds.

“Spectral Walk lasts for 10 seconds, after which you can no longer use Spectral Recall.”

I thought your request had nothing to do with duration.

Regardless, moving it from no range limit to 5000 would be a nerf. And if you think a Necro can't possibly move 5000 in 10 seconds then perhaps starting this topic was ill advised.

@Daniel Handler.4816 said:

Clearly says 30 seconds.

Regardless, moving it from no range limit to 5000 would be a nerf. And if you think a Necro can't possibly move 5000 in 10 seconds then perhaps starting this topic was ill advised.

Clearly says 30 seconds.

The only thing “Ill-advised” is you thinking Necro spectral walk is even comparable to Mesmer and Thief portals...

You should probably read the op before replying again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Engal.6359 said:kitten who actually thinks portal is op? Literally no one runs it because it sucks.

Actually in wvw (and in pvp too) i think the nerf to mesmers portals should be undone. Or at least be the same as in PvE.

Yes mesmers leaving portals behind to reset themselves and return back to combat inside enemy structures can be exploited but that is a minor annoyance in the grand scheme of things. And Mesmer's using portals was the most fun mechanic that class has as it needed preparation and active gameplay.

It wasn't really unfair and with an added small chanelling and visual cues when opening portal exteunt (so it provides some counterplay) it should have been perfect for competitive. Mermers get to be useful again and roaming gets the needed counterplay window.

That nerf accomplished nothing and I really felt sympathetic for wvw mesmer mains.But thats just my opinion.

@youle.5824 said:

@Engal.6359 said:kitten who actually thinks portal is op? Literally no one runs it because it sucks.

Top 10 in current season Flandre still use portal .. in ranked not even AT mind you where you see better plays with portal.

@youle.5824 said:And on thief the portal is used as well sometime by giving up signet of agility mostly on dd or de if not much cleansing is needed. Ex faeleth use it ...

So if a skill is -sometimes- getting used, it means it's op? Solid. :D

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

Top 10 in current season Flandre still use portal .. in ranked not even AT mind you where you see better plays with portal.

@youle.5824 said:And on thief the portal is used as well sometime by giving up signet of agility mostly on dd or de if not much cleansing is needed. Ex faeleth use it ...

So if a skill is -sometimes- getting used, it means it's op? Solid. :D

No but means its viable if used in highest tier of pvp... dont go putting words in people's mouth.. never said anything about portal being op. Forums...

Portal should never be given to thief. It was a mesmer specific thing and was never as abusable as thief's version. Revert portal nerfs back, remove thief portal. At least mesmer portals have huge tells (visual and sound).

Yet the portal is a minor issue if we look at the total class balance. Maybe new balance team can find a solution.

@Auburner.6945 said:I guess portals should not be functional if walls/gates are closed.

The problem is clearly not the portal, but the amount of stealth.Portals add a strategy to sneak objectives that are being carelessly defended. (if the defenders dont bother looking for remaining attackers with a portal, shame on them)The problem is, that even if you look for them, you can hardly find or kill them because they just vanish and run away to whereever.