Game Uninstalled itself.

This has happened twice now. Sometimes last month, I didn't record the dated, and yesterday sometime before midnight central time. Game is just gone, game folder has a few items in it but when I double click on the exe I get a prompt telling me the app can't run on PC and I need to contact the creator for a PC version. Downloading the whole thing again currently.

@Grishnaakh.2143 said:It apparently installed to the temp folder. I am never asked where I want to install the game. How do I remedy this?

If you have GW2 installed to your %temp% folder, simply move it elsewhere. Specifically, you want to move Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat to somewhere like C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\

If you don't have a Gw2-64.exe, look for a ~34 MB Gw2-64.tmp or Gw2-64.### in the same folder as Gw2.dat and rename it back to Gw2-64.exe. If no such file exists, you can download Gw2Setup-64.exe and simply rename it to Gw2-64.exe.

@Healix.5819 said:

@Grishnaakh.2143 said:It apparently installed to the temp folder. I am never asked where I want to install the game. How do I remedy this?

If you have GW2 installed to your %temp% folder, simply move it elsewhere. Specifically, you want to move Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat to somewhere like C:\Games\Guild Wars 2\

If you don't have a Gw2-64.exe, look for a ~34 MB Gw2-64.tmp or Gw2-64.### in the same folder as Gw2.dat and rename it back to Gw2-64.exe. If no such file exists, you can download Gw2Setup-64.exe and simply rename it to Gw2-64.exe.

Good deal, thank you.

ok so i have the same thing. when u click to download it will install in the temp folder and ask you where you want to install the game i have a disc C:\ and a disc D:\ i install all my game in the disc D:\ but for some reason it install it on the 2 of them and in my situation when u uninstall 1 u cant uninstall the other i can find it but all the files are scatter in temp and i have other thing in there so i don't know what to do to uninstall the game from there even Nvidia experience show me that the hole game is in there

@david.3140 said:ok so i have the same thing. when u click to download it will install in the temp folder and ask you where you want to install the game i have a disc C:\ and a disc D:\ i install all my game in the disc D:\ but for some reason it install it on the 2 of them and in my situation when u uninstall 1 u cant uninstall the other i can find it but all the files are scatter in temp and i have other thing in there so i don't know what to do to uninstall the game from there even Nvidia experience show me that the hole game is in there

move Gw2-64.exe and Gw2.dat to the folder you want game in and run gw2-64.exe again.

• 1 year later...

Avast antivirus puts some file of the gw2 to virus quarantine for some reason... if you use avast go and make exeption to gw2 files to stop gw2 from deleting, or change settings that avast doesn't delete anything without your permission.

3 hours ago, ninohh.7403 said:

Avast antivirus puts some file of the gw2 to virus quarantine for some reason... if you use avast go and make exeption to gw2 files to stop gw2 from deleting, or change settings that avast doesn't delete anything without your permission.

I'm not sure that had anything to do with the issue from a year ago.

It seems the Avast issue is mostly affecting the screenshot file/folder. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 6:49 PM, ninohh.7403 said:

Thank you! This is exactly the answer I needed!
This is what happened to me today

On 5/7/2021 at 10:41 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

I'm not sure that had anything to do with the issue from a year ago.

It seems the Avast issue is mostly affecting the screenshot file/folder. 

It directly affected the .exe file for me, as ninohh stated it was in the virus quarantine.

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, Jechtt.4795 said:

It directly affected the .exe file for me, as ninohh stated it was in the virus quarantine.

Yeah this has just happened to me I've been playing for 2 weeks and today the game wouldn't load I had to reinstall the game then when playing my Anti virus (AVG) locked it away and deleted it so I've had to reinstall it yet again. I've been told to make exceptions for Guild wars in my Anti virus to stop this happening again

On 6/2/2021 at 10:23 PM, Jechtt.4795 said:

Oh thank you for this! Was wondering why the game disappeared. Found out Avast ate it after I almost finished installing it again...