Storyline Disconnects - [Merged]

This worked like a charm. You’re a lifesaver.

@"DannyBoy.9601" said:So, i've had the same issue getting disconnected in story instances, keep trying and eventually sometimes manage to get through it, however i've been stuck on Hearts and Minds for a while now (only attempted it around 5 times) always disconnected after beating mordremoth in the dreamscape. I went through everything with Anet tech support, (stopped services and startups, flushed dns, changed in game settings etc, eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".

Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnects (well, not tonight anyway) finished hearts and minds, even got cocky and halfway through went to make something to eat! i'm not sure which routers have this setting other than my own, but, if you are on Virgin Media with a hub 3.0, login to your router, advanced settings, security, firewall, uncheck ip flood detection and apply changes. i went from numerous dropped packets on every hop to basically no dropped packets other then to unreachable hosts.

I hope it works for some of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this issue a few times in the past, which was resolved by a re-log, or a patch that was waiting to download for me. But this time the problem persists. Going on five failed attempts at my Icebrood Saga: Bound by Blood. I complete where I get back to my companions, and then the game disconnects me. I even went to bed last night, hoping that it might have been resolved, or a patch had come my way. But nope. Still booted me out again this morning. It's a little frustrating, as issues like these tend to discourage me from pursuing my story quests, and I get left further behind the pack of players who are already advancing well past me.

@"DannyBoy.9601" said:So, i've had the same issue getting disconnected in story instances, keep trying and eventually sometimes manage to get through it, however i've been stuck on Hearts and Minds for a while now (only attempted it around 5 times) always disconnected after beating mordremoth in the dreamscape. I went through everything with Anet tech support, (stopped services and startups, flushed dns, changed in game settings etc, eventually i stumbled across a setting in my router i never knew existed "IP flood detection".

Turned that off and bingo, no more disconnects (well, not tonight anyway) finished hearts and minds, even got cocky and halfway through went to make something to eat! i'm not sure which routers have this setting other than my own, but, if you are on Virgin Media with a hub 3.0, login to your router, advanced settings, security, firewall, uncheck ip flood detection and apply changes. i went from numerous dropped packets on every hop to basically no dropped packets other then to unreachable hosts.

This also worked for me, literally right after I switched this setting off. Finally managed to complete HoT story, now I can try finishing My Story too! Thank you so much for sharing! <3

I, too, have been suffering from this problem. The disconnects seem totally at random. I can play all day and not have one, and then in one evening I can have several in a row.

I'd like to try the IP Flood Detection, but sadly that is not an option on my Arris modem/router's Firewall. Only DoS Attack Protection (which I disabled, and still got disconnected), and Ping Blocking, which I have not disabled yet, but might try. There are a few Pass Through options (IPsec, PTPP, L2TP) but they're all enabled and disabling a pass-through sounds like it might make more problems.

The strangest thing is, I'm not actually disconnecting. I was running story with a couple of guildies last night, and we got disconnected twice. The whole can't move/act after dialogue or cutscene thing, movie reel icon over head, then disconnect. But it takes about 15-30s for the game to actually kick me back to the character select screen. During that time, I learned I was still able to talk to party members in party chat, and they could respond, before I got dropped. So I'm not losing connection to the game (at least, not totally), but it seems like something is wrong with the way the connection to the story instance works. Don't know enough to hazard a guess.

It's still supremely frustrating to lose big chunks of progress like that, and I can't help but feel slighted that this is still a problem years later. I know the Dev team says it's hard to replicate and therefore fix, but it's been years. No one has come up with anything? The cynic in me says they don't care about fixing it, because it's only a problem for some people and the ones who are affected can usually brute-force their way through. I'd like to not believe the cynic, but...

@"Valdacil.5367" said:I was plagued with this problem too. Tried 5 times to complete Victory or Death. Something I read in one of the forums got me thinking and I changed one setting that seems to have helped. I'm not going to guarantee it will work and requires more testing to be confident... but I was able to complete 2 story quests where I'd disconnected repeatedly and my wife also finished one she'd tried 3 times.

Options > General > Streaming > Content Streaming >> change to "On Demand"

The setting was set to 'Idle'. Something someone said in a forum post regarding the disconnects seeming to come during transitions from cutscene to non-cutscene made me think that perhaps the game was trying to get some piece of content and since the download setting was set to Idle, it was waiting for the connection to be Idle. After waiting a period of time, it failed out the download which caused it to lose the instance. By setting it to On Demand, it allows the game to download that content when needed. This is totally just a theory, but has been working for me so far. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

This worked for me! Thank you! I also encountered the same problem on another account when doing the "Descent" instance; off course I had not changed the settings on that account yet.... :( But after I put Streaming to "On Demand" I could finish the instance no problem (after having started it all over again off course). Pity that Anet will not respond to this, make this fix official, fix it, or whatever. I will post Valdacils fix in another thread too where people are complaining about this issue. I guess we have to do Anets handywork.

There's many threads of this issue involving several cinematics from the game, not just this one. ArenaNet can't track down the problem because it seems to be client-side, some issue with the player's machine causes either their net or GPU to drop out, like some kind of power saving, and there's many potential fixes mostly involving lowering or increasing settings, closing or starting background applications, etc.

Its paradoxial because it can be from either pushing the network card (especially over wireless) or GPU too hard or not enough, and there may be other factors. Two of the main settings to look at are streaming content downloading and shader quality, For example, one common problem is that the machine gets taxed too hard showing the cinematic and there's not enough CPU to send packet data.

Remember, cinematics don't work like gameplay, even if they look similar sometimes. The tried and true solution that's helped people through problems like this is in the past is "use another machine or connection".

@Tyncale.1629 said:

@"Valdacil.5367" said:I was plagued with this problem too. Tried 5 times to complete Victory or Death. Something I read in one of the forums got me thinking and I changed one setting that seems to have helped. I'm not going to guarantee it will work and requires more testing to be confident... but I was able to complete 2 story quests where I'd disconnected repeatedly and my wife also finished one she'd tried 3 times.

Options > General > Streaming > Content Streaming >> change to "On Demand"

The setting was set to 'Idle'. Something someone said in a forum post regarding the disconnects seeming to come during transitions from cutscene to non-cutscene made me think that perhaps the game was trying to get some piece of content and since the download setting was set to Idle, it was waiting for the connection to be Idle. After waiting a period of time, it failed out the download which caused it to lose the instance. By setting it to On Demand, it allows the game to download that content when needed. This is totally just a theory, but has been working for me so far. Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

This worked for me! Thank you!
I also encountered the same problem on another account when doing the "Descent" instance; off course I had not changed the settings on that account yet.... :( But after I put Streaming to "On Demand" I could finish the instance no problem (after having started it all over again off course). Pity that Anet will not respond to this, make this fix official, fix it, or whatever. I will post Valdacils fix in another thread too where people are complaining about this issue. I guess we have to do Anets handywork.

The reason ArenaNet doesn't 'make this fix official' is it does not work for everyone.The posted work-arounds are:Use a VPNContinuously move your character or use a skillChange your 'Streaming' settingMinimize cut-scenesAnd more...

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

This worked for me! Thank you!
I also encountered the same problem on another account when doing the "Descent" instance; off course I had not changed the settings on that account yet.... :( But after I put Streaming to "On Demand" I could finish the instance no problem (after having started it all over again off course). Pity that Anet will not respond to this, make this fix official, fix it, or whatever. I will post Valdacils fix in another thread too where people are complaining about this issue. I guess we have to do Anets handywork.

The reason ArenaNet doesn't 'make this fix official' is it does not work for everyone.The posted work-arounds are:Use a VPNContinuously move your character or use a skillChange your 'Streaming' settingMinimize cut-scenesAnd more...

Are these workarounds posted/endorsed by Anet? It is a really bad bug that should be fixed by Anet. Some of these instances are very long, and can actually be pretty tough if you are hunting certain achievements. Not fun if you managed to keep alive the icon of some difficult "try not to be hit by..." achievement till the very end, only to get disconnected at the very end and thrown out of the instance. I have had this happen twice now and I usually do not swear at my computer but this sure made me.

Also I sincerely hope that "Use a VPN" is not an official Anet workaround, if you have to jump through hoops like that to play your game, with probably 80% of people not even knowing what a vpn is.

Continuously moving is also a crazy advice for a self-respecting company. Sorry, we can not fix this bug, just keep moving guys, keep moving! Also, does not work.

Minimizing cut-scenes is sort of sad when you realize that Storytelling in their game is rather a big thing with GW2 and Anet. Also, skipping the scene does not work.

It seems like a bug that could actually be tracked down, but somehow Anet does not feel it is important enough. The fix from Valdecil has helped more then one person and should be an indication where to look for Anet.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe this is STILL something that has not been addressed. I am playing through PoF and the story instances are ridiculously long, often fighting 3 or 4 mini bosses one after the other, taking half an hour or more. Yet if you have a power outage, internet DC, or even if you just take a wrong turn when riding along through an obstacle course and get kicked out of the instance, you have to do it all over again right from the start, including sitting passively through all the dialog that cannot be skipped.

This is CRAZY considering they do save the progress in these instances for when you die. Why not just use these saved checkpoints when you come back? Doing the same content over and over again is NOT FUN and makes me want to find another MMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude you're the man - thank you for this!Another virgin super hub "fixed"

• 1 month later...

I have had this exact issue on a VM super hub 3. I have made the change to the IP Flooding and will see if it fixes it. It does seem absurd that we are having to make these workarounds when this has clearly been a problem for so long. I'm a returning player and I just want to close out the game storyline, but this nonsense is putting me off!

An issue I've had for YEARS. To be honest I don't know how I even put up with it anymore. Just dc'd from the Hearts and Minds story mission twice and always after being ported outside mordremoth's mind. Worst missions for me were Hidden Arcana from season 2 which I had to replay countless times and I always disconnect in the same exact moment (before the last cutscene) and same goes for the season 4 mission where you have to clear the spiders from the suns refuge. EVERY time there's a cutscene or the game takes control of the camera, I cross my fingers and hope that I don't dc. It's completely ruining my enjoyment of the game...Worst thing is when I'm playing with friends and we all have to restart entire missions because of my disconnects. It's incredibly annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so very disappointed with this issue still being alive. I quit a couple years ago because of disconnects during story missions. Came back recently this week and low and behind the disconnects still happen(forcing me too restart the missions, losing tons of gameplay time with absolutely no gains).. never during open world, only instances. I just bought full upgrades for me and my wife.. regrettably now. You guys really need to get this resolved.. but obviously its not a priority. This is a major issue and needs too be FIXED.

It is clear that they are not able to fix this due to error prone dev design.. It uses multiple proccesses(binaries), each isolated with own connection so thats why you can use UI (write to chat etc), watch stucked graphics and know that its matter of time to be disconnected. I saw this conncept in few other games and still don't understand benefits of this approach.

My own story disconnects have only been happening noticeably to me since I swapped to Virgin around Christmas, so I'm going to give this a go as well. It certainly sounds promising. I'll come back and update this if it doesnt' seem to solve the problem.

Edit:

I wasn't convinced I was totally sorted (seeing a lot of client graphics sync issues as well), so I also set up port triggering on the GW2 ports (I'd normally have done that or similar, but when I swapped ISPs things were somewhat hectic and it seems to have fallen though the cracks). Whatever - so far things seem better. But this was always an intermittent problem for me, and after a career testing software I know only too well not to relax too early...

Edit 2:

Nope. Didn't fix it. I just "finished" the "Darkrime Delves" story within "Visions of the Past: Steel and Fire". And got the "character watching cutscene" icon on my head, followed by a disconnect. And I'm right back at the start of the story. Damn.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I'm here to keep piling on this disconnect thing.

Anyway, couldn't we just get some half measure like adding more, closer together, checkpoints during story line instances or something like that? I'd be much less pissed off having to replay 10 minutes than a whole freaking hour or something... plus, that would work for everyone, even if we are getting disconnected for different reasons.

Cheers!

Adding to the pile. Disconnect error "7:11:3:191:101" again, same story instance and result as Doghouse.1562. (For the record, I'm in Canada, with Shaw as my ISP.) The third time I went through the story instance, I skipped the cutscenes altogether as soon as they started, and that did get me through to the end without another disconnect, but man, did it ruin immersion. :( I get similar disconnects in story instances while playing with friends, though the person hosting the story doesn't get kicked. In those cases, I play it through alone, usually without issues. Still a bummer either way.