A New Game Mode Idea - An Actual Arena

Build a large arena somewhere in the open world where people can go in, either solo or as a group, and select their foe/foes and their difficulty level. Essentially a PVE arena that allows huge customization of combat. You could take it one step further and allow pvp in said arena. Call this place whatever you want, but I'm picturing an open world fusion of pvp and pve. It could become the most competitive scene in the GW franchise if done properly. If it was good enough it could replace the poorly executed current pvp system entirely. I think they should test pilot something small to see how it goes, like a "Festival of the Four Swords", if you will lol

I like to test new builds in the Crystal Desert, usually luring 3 or 4 Veteran Fire Hydras together to test survivability, dps, etc. Then the thought occurred to me after all this time of luring big monsters together, hmm sure would be sweet to have a gladiator style arena :)

Should say that I have grinded pvp for the legendary armor so I experiment with many, many builds. In the process of grinding for that armor in rated pvp I learnt to despise the rating system. You should be rewarded for personal contribution, not as a random team. So much time is wasted when 1 person afks for whatever reason, be it legit or not, then you have a snowball of a bad game with no chance of a win. It happens too often that even this post is pure redundancy due to the high volume of complaints. Having a proper arena and rating system would do wonders for the future health and profitability of this game.

Ps: Boon application/strip and corrupt should also be considered when awarding points in pvp. That being some of the most important counterplay, its odd that it's not counted as something important to build for. Many aspects of good pvp play are left unrewarded while you still get punished for other peoples decisions. Not cool.

In this arena you could have competitions surrounding all things GW. Everything from dps competitions, boon application and uptime/strips and corrupts, literal fashion wars... There is just so much potential in this idea and I sincerely hope it is looked at as something worthy to discuss.

They’ve stated that they cannot do PvP on open world maps.

How’s this different from instanced content such as the gauntlet, raids, fractals, etc?

How’s this different from the already available arenas that Anet has created and are probably unused by the very players that requested them in the past?

It would still be instanced, hence why 1 person could go in, select 5 fire hydras and fight them. Respawning them at will or adding more, etc. That is what I mean. 2 people choosing to go into the instance together to fight 1 v 1 whenever they want. This idea is way different than what is available.

@Tsunami.4516 said:It would still be instanced, hence why 1 person could go in, select 5 fire hydras and fight them. Respawning them at will or adding more, etc. That is what I mean. 2 people choosing to go into the instance together to fight 1 v 1 whenever they want. This idea is way different than what is available.

They have something like that in NE Gendarran and central Plains of Ashford. All of which involve hearts but they don’t possess any difficulty. Once a year we get something with difficulty through the Queen’s Gauntlet.

A year or so ago I made a suggestion for something like the Maelstrom Arena in ESO. Essentially it’s a series of battles with waves followed by a boss. I guess the closest we got to it in this game would be the arena with Dragon Bash. Essentially you survive the waves through proper skill usage and positioning and then the same on the boss while also executing its specific mechanics similar to what we see with raid bosses.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Tsunami.4516 said:It would still be instanced, hence why 1 person could go in, select 5 fire hydras and fight them. Respawning them at will or adding more, etc. That is what I mean. 2 people choosing to go into the instance together to fight 1 v 1 whenever they want. This idea is way different than what is available.

They have something like that in NE Gendarran and central Plains of Ashford. All of which involve hearts but they don’t possess any difficulty. Once a year we get something with difficulty through the Queen’s Gauntlet.

so far as i know they disabled the plains of ashford one with the NPE, has it ever been fixed?

Imagine having a 10 v 10 guild vs guild fight...... Or that same fight but with monsters on each teamImagine having swarms of unlimited undead to fight through... Do instances solo or with a partyImagine LFG for 1 v1, 2 v 2, etc matches... No more unnecessary waits for games. LFG could be sorted by rank like Fractals
Imagine custom choosing encounters... Fight whatever combination of creatures/players you want, at will, in an instanced pve/pvp arena

If you don't have a lot of time to spend in game this kind of feature would ensure the ability to have a "drop in" or "pick up and play" mentality. Imagine being able to build better gameplay understanding and class mechanics at your own pace

Imagine the possibilities within an instanced custom Arena

@"Tsunami.4516" said:Imagine having a 10 v 10 guild vs guild fight...... Or that same fight but with monsters on each teamImagine having swarms of unlimited undead to fight through... Do instances solo or with a partyImagine LFG for 1 v1, 2 v 2, etc matches... No more unnecessary waits for games. LFG could be sorted by rank like Fractals

Imagine custom choosing encounters... Fight whatever combination of creatures/players you want, at will, in an instanced pve/pvp arena

If you don't have a lot of time to spend in game this kind of feature would ensure the ability to have a "drop in" or "pick up and play" mentality. Imagine being able to build better gameplay understanding and class mechanics at your own pace

Imagine the possibilities within an instanced custom Arena

I miss this "Imagine having swarms of unlimited undead to fight through", from one of the first text based games I played.Basically it was non stop invasion and plenty of wipes and bodies. There would be so many mobs in one area, risky to go there. Basically an Invasion where we can actually not win. We don't always have to win Anet. The bad guys winning once in a while keeps things interesting :).

The mobs also dropped uniquely named(text based games, the description made the item cool) armor only seen during that invasion. Although it wasn't magical, you can imbue it with magical abilities in future festivals from a special vendor, thus you get to use an armor which when someone inspects you, knows you were there during that invasion. It brought lore and history.

@Mushuchalaka.9437 said:

I miss this "Imagine having swarms of unlimited undead to fight through", from one of the first text based games I played.Basically it was non stop invasion and plenty of wipes and bodies. There would be so many mobs in one area, risky to go there. Basically an Invasion where we can actually not win. We don't always have to win Anet. The bad guys winning once in a while keeps things interesting :).

This kind of custom encounter is exactly what I am talking about. Simply have a menu from which you select what enemies you want, a slider for how many enemies you want, a few options for numbers, waves, groups, timers, etc. I think it would be quite easy to build. Even if it wasn't, this kind of idea has, to my knowledge, never been done outside of imagination based games like D and D. If ArenaNet were to pull something like that off with GW2(likely the most artistically astounding game I have ever played, with massive potential still) they would be grabbing a piece of the gaming market that just isn't there yet. To be frank, the idea I am suggesting could easily be its own standalone game/platform. So, if an already existing game, especially an MMO, does something this revolutionary within game, they would attract many millions of people who would want to participate in legit gladiator style games(and way more), with their hand crafted characters. The fact that it would be PVP and PVE implies you could literally build your own encounters in a private instance(Basically, the same idea as the Golem in the Lion's Arch Aerodrome(Raid lobby), but built upon, immensely). Or you could participate in open to the public PVP, both drop-in style unranked and competitive ranked. Between these instances is the open world, at the arena, where people come to buy and sell their wear's, show off their attire, compete in friendly competitions.....

@NYG.2568 said:

If it's the slightest bit challenging or not a huge fireworks display, that they can make profit on. It will NOT be implemented in the game!

I hope that is not the case because this idea sells itself. Especially for a game that already has such a deep backstory and at times mystifyingly beautiful art. Even if they built it as a separate expansion and sold it for $100 people would buy it and feel it was worth it, but only if it were designed/built with "pure customization of combat" in mind; well, I know I would.

• 2 months later...