Massively OP- “had been prototyping a possible Guild Wars 3”

Swagger.1459

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the piece, the game still has stuff to give and i wouldnt want anet to move on and make a new game unless they are in the best shape to make it.

That being said i dont think the systemic issues of gw2 can be solved in gw2, the game is just too big to take everythomg into acount when it comes to large systemic changes. A blank slate would be their best option.

@zealex.9410 said:I agree with the piece, the game still has stuff to give and i wouldnt want anet to move on and make a new game unless they are in the best shape to make it.

That being said i dont think the systemic issues of gw2 can be solved in gw2, the game is just too big to take everythomg into acount when it comes to large systemic changes. A blank slate would be their best option.

On this note, essentially like a reboot / Guild Wars 2.5, like how Final Fantasy XIV had to do. Get a new engine for an optomization and graphics overhaul. I wouldn’t even mind if I had to re-buy the game for that. The fact Guild Wars 2 still runs on a modified Guild Wars 1 engine holds it back in quite a few areas.

People do have to face facts here.. the ones that want or believe Gw2 has much more to give.

The games populace has beyond severely dropped. The only action we basically see now is some sort of meta train on reset then back to whatever farming activities players were doing prior. Or they'd be standing around in Lions Arch RP'ing. You may have guilds running odd things here and there.

WvW population has drastically dropped. PvP population has drastically dropped. The raid population has dropped significantly, and any new maps Anet adds only has people there for about 2 weeks before going empty. It's next to impossible to find anyone to help with any type of achievement; you could sit in LFG all day and not have 1 person join. Even now, the newest map is close to vacant more often than not.

People need to face the realization here that Gw2 is likely at the end of it's life span when it comes to churning out more content. The population isn't really there to justify it. Now if Anet did the smart thing and focused on PvP and WvW like they initially did upon release, this game would likely still be bustling with activity.

It makes no real sense to continue any further; they're best best (if NCsoft allowed it), would be to create Gw3 with a better engine, similar combat, but address the actual issues that have plagued the game since release.

@Operator.2590 said:

@zealex.9410 said:I agree with the piece, the game still has stuff to give and i wouldnt want anet to move on and make a new game unless they are in the best shape to make it.

On this note, essentially like a reboot / Guild Wars 2.5, like how Final Fantasy XIV had to do. Get a new engine for an optomization and graphics overhaul. I wouldn’t even mind if I had to re-buy the game for that. The fact Guild Wars 2 still runs on a modified Guild Wars 1 engine holds it back in quite a few areas.

Ff14 still has legacy code in it too. But yeah i wouldnt mind that either, tho id presonally rather see 1.5 over 2.5.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Was there ever any evidence that they were working on GW3?

anet wont come out and tell u unless they had to but some outlets with good track record havw come out to share information they've got.

You mean Kotaku? Lol

Every outlet refers to that article.

Pmuch, they have released multiple hit articles with information on internal development of games and moreq and pmuch all of them are regarded very highly.

@zealex.9410 said:

anet wont come out and tell u unless they had to but some outlets with good track record havw come out to share information they've got.

You mean Kotaku? Lol

Pmuch, they have released multiple hit articles with information on internal development of games and moreq and pmuch all of them are regarded very highly.

And yet this article was highly speculative based solely on an “anonymous source”. Let’s also not forget that highly biased article from a year ago when they fired two employees. Oh and that “well researched” article earlier this year about a word which may or may not have been in a song in Smash Bros.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:

Now if Anet did the smart thing and focused on PvP and WvW like they initially did upon release, this game would likely still be bustling with activity.

According to who? I dot buy that the smart thing would be to focus on pvp and wvw and let pve suffer their current fate, esp when ff14 is doing the opposite and its seeing massive success.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You mean Kotaku? Lol

And yet this article was highly speculative based solely on an “anonymous source”. Let’s also not forget that highly biased article from a year ago when they fired two employees. Oh and that “well researched” article earlier this year about a word which may or may not have been in a song in Smash Bros.

I can also talk about all the hit pieces on bungies, ea, activision blizzard etc.

Speculation is for us to do, they simply get sources and publish based on them.

As a developer. Watching anet developments and bugs gives me a pretty good idea of the state of the code in the game.

It must be an utter disaster. They can't even figure out why story instances crash during cut scenes. That means they have little to no tracking or logs. And they have no idea what to even try to fix it, which tells me it's old legacy code that all the surviving developers are scared to touch.They have hilarious bugs like breaking the Mount position on the beatle because they added a new blc? How can those things be related?They have no ability to force an automatic reconnect on disconnect, really? I've got games from 1998 that had this figured out.They can't even make dyeable backpacks because it's too much work? What's wrong with them?It seems the game code is barely hanging on and takes enormous work for any change.That's a sign of eminent failure. And anet layed off the teams trying to fix the problem with a new game.

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:As a developer. Watching anet developments and bugs gives me a pretty good idea of the state of the code in the game.

It must be an utter disaster. They can't even figure out why story instances crash during cut scenes. That means they have little to no tracking or logs. And they have no idea what to even try to fix it, which tells me it's old legacy code that all the surviving developers are scared to touch.They have hilarious bugs like breaking the Mount position on the beatle because they added a new blc? How can those things be related?They have no ability to force an automatic reconnect on disconnect, really? I've got games from 1998 that had this figured out.They can't even make dyeable backpacks because it's too much work? What's wrong with them?It seems the game code is barely hanging on and takes enormous work for any change.That's a sign of eminent failure. And anet layed off the teams trying to fix the problem with a new game.

Where are you getting all this? How do you know they can't make dyeable backpacks? How do you know they can't figure out crashes?

And I hate to rain on your theory but those other employees left to make a new studio (manaworks) and a MOBILE game. They were not working on a new MMO engine or gw3.

In its current state I just don't see GW2 going very far any longer.It may continue to 'run' but I just don't see it growing/improving. New mechanic, sure. New mini-event, no problem. New map extension, ofc. But improve as a game overall? Unlikely.AT BEST, even IF an expansion announced...it would take too long to push that out, some people would come back for the elite specs but then I think the game has ran its course. One more good expansion could have propelled it forward a few more years BUT, as-is, nah, ppl are just gonna keep trickling out as they are now.I understand why some people are still optimistic about GW2, it really is/was a good game but its no different than your favorite tv show. By season 6 or season 7 it just kinda becomes predictable, you want to still love it, you want to keep watching, but eventually you just stop tuning in.

@DeadlySynz.3471 said:People do have to face facts here.. the ones that want or believe Gw2 has much more to give.

The games populace has beyond severely dropped. The only action we basically see now is some sort of meta train on reset then back to whatever farming activities players were doing prior. Or they'd be standing around in Lions Arch RP'ing. You may have guilds running odd things here and there.

WvW population has drastically dropped. PvP population has drastically dropped. The raid population has dropped significantly, and any new maps Anet adds only has people there for about 2 weeks before going empty. It's next to impossible to find anyone to help with any type of achievement; you could sit in LFG all day and not have 1 person join. Even now, the newest map is close to vacant more often than not.

People need to face the realization here that Gw2 is likely at the end of it's life span when it comes to churning out more content. The population isn't really there to justify it. Now if Anet did the smart thing and focused on PvP and WvW like they initially did upon release, this game would likely still be bustling with activity.

It makes no real sense to continue any further; they're best best (if NCsoft allowed it), would be to create Gw3 with a better engine, similar combat, but address the actual issues that have plagued the game since release.

You don't focus on pvp (wvw is pvp) in a pve majority game to keep it going. And certainly the game is not at the end of it's life span.

the pvp population could be entirely gone and the game would be fine, due it's main focus being pve.

@SinisterSlay.6973 said:As a developer. Watching anet developments and bugs gives me a pretty good idea of the state of the code in the game.

Pretty certain they've said they could have done it, but chose to go in a different direction for the dyable backpacks, if you bothered to go read their response.

developer indeed

@Acheron.4731 said:In its current state I just don't see GW2 going very far any longer.It may continue to 'run' but I just don't see it growing/improving. New mechanic, sure. New mini-event, no problem. New map extension, ofc. But improve as a game overall? Unlikely.AT BEST, even IF an expansion announced...it would take too long to push that out, some people would come back for the elite specs but then I think the game has ran its course. One more good expansion could have propelled it forward a few more years BUT, as-is, nah, ppl are just gonna keep trickling out as they are now.I understand why some people are still optimistic about GW2, it really is/was a good game but its no different than your favorite tv show. By season 6 or season 7 it just kinda becomes predictable, you want to still love it, you want to keep watching, but eventually you just stop tuning in.

Yah this game is is so dead that the over the 50 Labrynth groups in the LFG i can't get into any of them because all the maps are full.

@wrathmagik.3518 said:

@Acheron.4731 said:In its current state I just don't see GW2 going very far any longer.It may continue to 'run' but I just don't see it growing/improving. New mechanic, sure. New mini-event, no problem. New map extension, ofc. But improve as a game overall? Unlikely.AT BEST, even IF an expansion announced...it would take too long to push that out, some people would come back for the elite specs but then I think the game has ran its course. One more good expansion could have propelled it forward a few more years BUT, as-is, nah, ppl are just gonna keep trickling out as they are now.I understand why some people are still optimistic about GW2, it really is/was a good game but its no different than your favorite tv show. By season 6 or season 7 it just kinda becomes predictable, you want to still love it, you want to keep watching, but eventually you just stop tuning in.

Yah this game is is so dead that the over the 50 Labrynth groups in the LFG i can't get into any of them because all the maps are full.

I take it back. The game is thriving.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You mean Kotaku? Lol

Kotaku's opinion pieces are often controversial and politically influenced. But when it comes to insider info, they are among the best in the business (probably because many in the industry share those same leanings).

I can't count the amount of hit stories they broke first while everyone else was sleeping. Anet related stuff included. And those type of pieces can only come from anonymous sources. Unless those sources are keen on facing consequences for breaking NDA.