Why are there so many open plot points?

Clyan.1593

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Aaron Ansari.1604" said:(And then there's me, who just thinks three out of the four Canthan regions were bland and depressing.)

GW1 was a fairly depressing and dark game by design. I don't think any of the regions were "bland" but I can definitely agree with "depressing" but the same goes for half of any campaign really.

GW2 lost a lot of this.

It's a matter of taste. Echovald was overwhelmingly one color palette, and the Jade Sea and Kaineng had the same issue to lesser extents (as did the Crystal Desert, Ring of Fire, and Kourna- it certainly wasn't confined to Factions, just more pronounced there). There was still a variety of assets and regional variations in play, but especially with Echovald and Kaineng, those distinctions tended to bleed together and get lost in the broad strokes.

While I don't mind dark, those three also had a vibe going that the other devastated regions of GW1 lacked; places like post-Searing Ascalon or the Realm of Torment may have been nightmares, but they were nightmares that we were actively fighting back against. Other places- the Crystal Desert, the Desolation, the Ring of Fire- were avoided by civilization. Cantha was the only place where humans took the wastelands (and, in Kaineng's case, the waste) for granted as the daily backdrop of life.