for ascended cooks; places for finding Varietal herbs- based on anecdata*

Batdogi.7142

Herb nodes are pretty scattered and the varietal versions seems even more that way. So hunting around the core Tyria area thus far I've found the following:

Varietal Peppercorn - Diessa Plateau, EotM (N.B. after nearly 2 months and lots of hours spent scouting on my thief/cook no drops at the synthesizers in regular WvW)Varietal Mint - Fireheart Rise, Iron Marches, rarely in Bloodtide Coast south edgeVarietal Clove - Mount Maelstrom-more than you will likely need. I often get multiple harvests on each swing without a booster & frequently(1 out of 4) net 2-4 varietal cloves per swingVarietal Cilantro - Bloodtide Coast northern halfVarietal Sesame - Bloodtide coast southern half, and The newer Path of Fire desert areas.

*Anecdata is multiple anecdotes pasted together to appear "like" actual data.**will update as I poke around a bit.

The Varietal comes from hits on the same type of Herb gathered. So if you're looking for a specific type, you can simply look up the herb and see which level range of herb nodes it comes from. Most of the time its one for one.... but for some odd reason I see a lot of multiple clove seeds from single clove hits.

@starlinvf.1358 said:The Varietal comes from hits on the same type of Herb gathered. So if you're looking for a specific type, you can simply look up the herb and see which level range of herb nodes it comes from. Most of the time its one for one.... but for some odd reason I see a lot of multiple clove seeds from single clove hits.

yep. I have like 3 stacks of varietal cloves in the bank. as opposed to the others which are all in the 30-50 range...but it may be I use the others up faster than the cloves or that Mount Maelstrom is just an easier place to gather + the multiple per strike thing.

Unless you have no access to the maps there is no reason to go anywhere else for Cilantro and Sesame besides Domain of Kourna and Sandswept Isles. Both have clusters of desert herbs in close proximity to each other.

@starlinvf.1358 said:The Varietal comes from hits on the same type of Herb gathered. So if you're looking for a specific type, you can simply look up the herb and see which level range of herb nodes it comes from. Most of the time its one for one.... but for some odd reason I see a lot of multiple clove seeds from single clove hits.

That is because cloves have always been weird with how they handle getting multiple items from a single gather. Pretty much every other gather result will give you 1 stack of 1-N items. Cloves on the other hand always gives you 1-N stacks of 1 item each instead.

A glyph of bounty is nice but glyph of crucible and glyph of alchemy are also good for these.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Unless you have no access to the maps there is no reason to go anywhere else for Cilantro and Sesame besides Domain of Kourna and Sandswept Isles. Both have clusters of desert herbs in close proximity to each other.

That is because cloves have always been weird with how they handle getting multiple items from a single gather. Pretty much every other gather result will give you 1 stack of 1-N items. Cloves on the other hand always gives you 1-N stacks of 1 item each instead.

A glyph of bounty is nice but glyph of crucible and glyph of alchemy are also good for these.

yep I haven't opened content for Kourna or Sandswept isles. Since doing PoF shortly after it came out I've mostly been in WvW except for a few PvE dailies and PvE guild missions