Anet, stop putting so much junk in the Rare drop table

Yeah well, how else they going to make it into loot bags. They don't want you getting the same thing over and over. It was like grothmar. Despite me hating the first way they had the loot out of the charr chest, it was low amount of bs. Now its increased bs, still crap rate. It is like they want you to feel you got "lucky". I dunno. But yah not a fan of it either.

@"Kameko.8314" said:Yeah well, how else they going to make it into loot bags. They don't want you getting the same thing over and over. It was like grothmar. Despite me hating the first way they had the loot out of the charr chest, it was low amount of bs. Now its increased bs, still kitten rate. It is like they want you to feel you got "lucky". I dunno. But yah not a fan of it either.

Except that is exactly what happens.. we get the same over and over and over.If they have to fill loot bags in all aspects of the game with trash, at least make it vendor sellable.. I mean all those tonics, and low level foods that no one really uses.. we can't even salvage them for food craft mats.. its just garbage over and over, which is why this year I am spending less and less time even bothering with the event.. and this on top of the Khan Ur debacle, just isn't winning me over and I would put money on it it's not going down well with others as well.Of course there will always be those who enjoy brain dead lab farming.. I get it, it was fun the first, second, third time....

@kharmin.7683 said:Maybe it's by design to tamper the economy? If players farm for a bunch of gold, then when things go on sale they have the resources to easily convert gold to gems. This prevents players from purchasing gems with cash ... cash that Anet desperately wants.

How do you know ArenaNet is desperate for cash...do you have inside information on their finances? Last I saw they made decent money on a quarterly basis, so I highly doubt they're desperate for cash.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@"Kameko.8314" said:Yeah well, how else they going to make it into loot bags. They don't want you getting the same thing over and over. It was like grothmar. Despite me hating the first way they had the loot out of the charr chest, it was low amount of bs. Now its increased bs, still kitten rate. It is like they want you to feel you got "lucky". I dunno. But yah not a fan of it either.

Except that is exactly what happens.. we get the same over and over and over.If they have to fill loot bags in all aspects of the game with trash, at least make it vendor sellable.. I mean all those tonics, and low level foods that no one really uses.. we can't even salvage them for food craft mats.. its just garbage over and over, which is why this year I am spending less and less time even bothering with the event.. and this on top of the Khan Ur debacle, just isn't winning me over and I would put money on it it's not going down well with others as well.Of course there will always be those who enjoy brain dead lab farming.. I get it, it was fun the first, second, third time....

I think all food from ToT bags is salvageable, other consumables are utility and tonics. Tonics are rubbish. But utility items give 30%MF bonus.

This is not to say that I disagree with the overall sentiment. ToT bags could use a lot of improvement (and way-way fewer tonics).

@"kharmin.7683" said:Maybe it's by design to tamper the economy? If players farm for a bunch of gold, then when things go on sale they have the resources to easily convert gold to gems. This prevents players from purchasing gems with cash ... cash that Anet desperately wants.

Facts: ANet makes money by selling the gems that get converted to gold in the exchange. Buying gems to get gold looks more attractive the more gold players put into the exchange to get gems -- because their doing so raises the amount of gold per gem. A lot of the players who exchange gold for gems would not spend cash, no matter what happened.

Conclusion: ANet has monetized gold by making it available for gems. They've also monetized the players who will not spend cash for gems but who will farm gold to get those gems. These players supply the gold which ANet is selling to other players. ANet has monetized their activity in a way that takes gold out of the economy. Why would a company which you speculate "desperately wants money" mess with that source of revenue?

Speculation: Sure, ANet could have just "made" the gold to sell to the gold buyers. That is likely to cause inflation, which is bad for players and bad for publicity. However, that might result in at least some of the players who spend gold to get gems spending cash instead. Since ANet has not done that, either they aren't that desperate or they think that inflation would be worse for them than whatever increase in revenue that unknown subset of gold-for-gems players would provide.

Were ANet to remove the exchange entirely, they'd be out the cash spent by players who want gold. Would the amount which might be spent by players who currently get their gems via gold counter-balance that loss? It's hard to say for sure. However, it's instructive to look at F2P metrics from other games, where over 90% of the players spend nothing, while less than 10% support the game, with some of them spending a lot.

Finally, I believe it's a mistake to believe that the gold/gems exchange was put in -- at a cost in revenue to ANet -- as a kindness to players who want gems but don't want to spend money for them. The system monetizes gold buyers by shifting their buying away from illegitimate gold sellers. It reduces customer service demands by players whose accounts get compromised by those 3rd party dealers. It monetizes players who won't/don't spend cash. It also provides a gold sink to combat inflation. That looks too much like a well-designed monetization scheme to be charity.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Maybe it's by design to tamper the economy? If players farm for a bunch of gold, then when things go on sale they have the resources to easily convert gold to gems. This prevents players from purchasing gems with cash ... cash that Anet desperately wants.

How do you know ArenaNet is desperate for cash...do you have inside information on their finances? Last I saw they made decent money on a quarterly basis, so I highly doubt they're desperate for cash.

I think you may have mis-read me? I didn't say that they were desperate for cash; rather, that they desperately want cash. Subtle difference, to be sure.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

with everything getting more expensive to the point of ridicule, yes, they are desperate for cash.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

I think all food from ToT bags is salvageable, other consumables are utility and tonics. Tonics are rubbish. But utility items give 30%MF bonus.

This is not to say that I disagree with the overall sentiment. ToT bags could use a lot of improvement (and way-way fewer tonics).

Actually - I always forget about the composter.. so yeah its salvageable just not sellable, but as I don't really look to craft Ascended food it is just...throwawayable :)

I believe John Smith debunked this ages ago. All gems in the gem exchange with the exception of the 400 from every 5k AP chest, are bought or paid for already in some fashion.

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Actually - I always forget about the composter.. so yeah its salvageable just not sellable, but as I don't really look to craft Ascended food it is just...throwawayable :)

Almost everything is sellable. But you need to wait about 6 months before the TP price is above vendor price. This does not apply to tonics... they are there just to frustrate us and clutter inventory.

@Ol Nik.2518 said:

Almost everything is sellable. But you need to wait about 6 months before the TP price is above vendor price. This does not apply to tonics... they are there just to frustrate us and clutter inventory.

Sorry the foods are like 2cp sell price, less commission.. not worth the bother - its throw away... the prices for those foods have not changed in donkeys years