Mad Lab experience

In the current Halloween event I have been running the Mad Lab and noticed most players are max level.

Am I correct that they are there to gain XP for Masteries? What area (Core, Hot or Pof) does the XP in Mad Lab count towards? Lastly, when the wiki says the first chapter of the story must be completed to work on Masteries does it refer to Personal story in the respective area or Living World Story?

No, they are not there for the XP gain, although it can be substantial if that is what you need. And I think it should count toward Core Masteries.But no, the overwhelming majority of the players in Lab are there to farm the Trick-or-Treat Bags.

Edit: Besides, max level is relatively easy to achieve, anyway, and since Lab is a max level map, players will bring their level 80s to party.

Most players don't really care about getting experience once they are at their max level. What drives players to the labyrinth is the loot.

I am pretty sure acquired experience counts as central Tyria, as players don't need any expansions to participate.

To unlock masteries, one must complete the first step of the story from the corresponding expansion. For hot that means the verdant brink mission which allows one to work towards the glider, for pof that means the Amoon starting mission, which unlocks the raptor.

@MikeG.6389 said:No, they are not there for the XP gain, although it can be substantial if that is what you need. And I think it should count toward Core Masteries.But no, the overwhelming majority of the players in Lab are there to farm the Trick-or-Treat Bags.

Edit: Besides, max level is relatively easy to achieve, anyway, and since Lab is a max level map, players will bring their level 80s to party.

That makes sense.

I brought a lowbie into the Lab as a number of videos suggest it is a quick way to level. Thus my thinking that max level players were also after XP.

@"Skotlex.7580" said:Most players don't really care about getting experience once they are at their max level. What drives players to the labyrinth is the loot.

I am pretty sure acquired experience counts as central Tyria, as players don't need any expansions to participate.

To unlock masteries, one must complete the first step of the story from the corresponding expansion. For hot that means the verdant brink mission which allows one to work towards the glider, for pof that means the Amoon starting mission, which unlocks the raptor.

When you say "first step of the story", does that refer to the Personal Story?

The personal story has several sections, called "chronicles" (if I remember right) in the hero panel (marked with a green star icon).The first part of this is the core game's story, it's all about rising against zhaitan. Many people refer to just this part as "personal story".Then came living story season 1 (forever unavailable) and 2 (which sets up the story for hot)Then comes the hot campaign, in which one unlocks the glider related masteries.Then came living story season 3, which is what happens between hot and pof.Then comes the pof campaign, which takes place in the desert (you unlock pof masteries after finishing the first part).just for completion, afterwards comes living story season 4,which recently finished, and now we are starting the fifth season.

It is a fast way to 80, but also a good gold source if you can stomach mindless farming. I know I can't.

Yes, to unlock your first Masteries you have to do the first few chapters of HoT and/or PoF in your Personal Story. In case of HoT, the first one you unlock is Gliding, while it's the Raptor for PoF. The other Mastery tracks will become available for you to train as you go through the stories of the expansions. They unlock for the account, so you only need to do the stories on one character and the benefits will be available for all your other ones, as well.

I know I go in it to get all the candy corn I can. There's no way I'll get the shadow raven this year -- I'm at a whole 8/140 cobs now -- but it's a long term goal. I'm not pushing that hard. An hour here and there. What's lovely about it is that it's the easiest commander task possible. Put on a tag, accrue a zerg, run from door to door zapping everything on the way. I tag things and by the time I get to them the zerg has finished murdering them. Loot (and xp that I only get spirit shards from) just rolls in. My only responsibility is to keep an efficient path, get to all the doors, and do some quick info at Lich and Viscount to help newcomers with the key mechanics.

I swear it's like my chrono's GS becomes a magic laser wand. I wave it at mobs and they vanish!

So I find it relaxing and fun, with a sense of progress toward a goal that isn't urgent.

(Yes I know I could sell the ToT bags and directly buy more corn, but that wouldn't be as fun as the frisson of opening a stack that miiiight hold a rare item -- though so far nothing very valuable has dropped for me. I'm just happy to accrue mats).

I wish it did give mastery xp. On the other hand, I introduced a friend to it today and they decided to bring in a level 2 alt since they'd get no mastery on their 80. After a short run, they were 10, very painlessly.

@Providence.7185 said:

@"Skotlex.7580" said:To unlock masteries, one must complete the first step of the story from the corresponding expansion. For
hot
that means the verdant brink mission which allows one to work towards the glider, for
pof
that means the Amoon starting mission, which unlocks the raptor.

When you say "first step of the story", does that refer to the Personal Story?

No. "Corresponding expansion" means just that: corresponding expansion (HoT or PoF).