Capes and cloaks

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:Eh, I honestly don't see the appeal of cloaks and capes for the game. They would look shoddy and bad with most of the armor sets which were not designed with capes and cloaks in mind. If you want it for Guild Recognition, I would rather they add the Guild Symbol on the actual clothing instead. Just not as bad as the Guild Uniform one.

many ranger players would disagree with you. every ranger wants to look like sylvanas.

@Forty Keks.9620 said:

@Doctor Hide.6345 said:Eh, I honestly don't see the appeal of cloaks and capes for the game. They would look shoddy and bad with most of the armor sets which were not designed with capes and cloaks in mind. If you want it for Guild Recognition, I would rather they add the Guild Symbol on the actual clothing instead. Just not as bad as the Guild Uniform one.

many ranger players would disagree with you. every ranger wants to look like sylvanas.

I hope thats sarcasm :/

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Cloaks and capes are cool, I don't know why you wouldn't want them, but something tells me the people who don't want a tasteful and fitting fantasy cosmetic like capes are the same people who want to make their character into bikini Kasmeer.

Because scarves exist and are equally lore-fitting compared to something that will clip though my weapons and get me more aggrivated more times than not.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:

@ProverbsofHell.2307 said:Cloaks and capes are cool, I don't know why you wouldn't want them, but something tells me the people who don't want a tasteful and fitting fantasy cosmetic like capes are the same people who want to make their character into bikini Kasmeer.

Because scarves exist and are equally lore-fitting compared to something that will clip though my weapons and get me more aggrivated more times than not.Except scarves aren't considered back items.

@ErikTheTyrant.4527 said:

@"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:Cloaks and capes are cool, I don't know why you wouldn't want them, but something tells me the people who don't want a tasteful and fitting fantasy cosmetic like capes are the same people who want to make their character into bikini Kasmeer.

Because scarves exist and are equally lore-fitting compared to something that will clip though my weapons and get me more aggrivated more times than not.Except scarves aren't considered back items.

Yes and? It still moves like a cloak? I haven't seen one game where cloaks and capes haven't looked tacky except for RuneScape. And RuneScape capes were there for bragging rights. So unless the casual crew wants to scream about the ever famous "elitism" again, having cloaks or capes serve no actual benefit.

Now if they did something like passively boost magic find while equipped as a reward for doing a collection, well then that's when we are talking about something useful.

@Forty Keks.9620 said:

I believe you mean Faramir, actually... ;)

@Lilyanna.9361 said:

@"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:Cloaks and capes are cool, I don't know why you wouldn't want them, but something tells me the people who don't want a tasteful and fitting fantasy cosmetic like capes are the same people who want to make their character into bikini Kasmeer.

Yes and? It still moves like a cloak? I haven't seen one game where cloaks and capes haven't looked tacky except for RuneScape. And RuneScape capes were there for bragging rights. So unless the casual crew wants to scream about the ever famous "elitism" again, having cloaks or capes serve no actual benefit.

Now if they did something like passively boost magic find while equipped as a reward for doing a collection, well then that's when we are talking about something useful.

Oh, and shiny wings do.... Having a cape on my norn, which fits perfectly the lore and ambience serves no purpose, but having some raven wings on my back is ok? Those do not "clip"? Those do not block other players view in fights? I don't get your arguments... Capes are just as valid, if not more, as a back item as is any of those damn wings and banners...

@"Mortelentus.9236" said:Oh, and shiny wings do.... Having a cape on my norn, which fits perfectly the lore and ambience serves no purpose, but having some raven wings on my back is ok? Those do not "clip"? Those do not block other players view in fights? I don't get your arguments... Capes are just as valid, if not more, as a back item as is any of those kitten wings and banners...I still curse the day wings were implemented.

The answer is simple - there won't be capes because we have backpieces. Backpieces and capes cannot coexist unless you make some backpieces be capes. That could work, but introducing a new system for covering character's backs would mean that the old system would have to be scrapped - and since a lot of the backpieces on the gem store sell for real money, and because people have invested in it, I doubt it would ever be "retired".

Best we can hope for is that some capes are introduced as backpieces in the future. I'd very much like that!

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Inb4 @kharmin.7683 notes the search function exists.

Would love capes.

And the whole ‘clipping’ issue? Get over it.

If capes where made transparent, id have no problems, but otherwise they are a negative for me as they hide the armor and colors that i spent a load of time making. And god if they are like the ones in GW1 i hope they never get added.

@Mortelentus.9236 said:

Oh, and shiny wings do.... Having a cape on my norn, which fits perfectly the lore and ambience serves no purpose, but having some raven wings on my back is ok? Those do not "clip"? Those do not block other players view in fights? I don't get your arguments... Capes are just as valid, if not more, as a back item as is any of those kitten wings and banners...

Fractal wing and PvP wings serve their purpose. Fractal and PvP wings both reside in the mists where things like odd magics and weird essences can take place to make things like that. Those are justified. Lore friendly for their location. (Just not on actual Tyria)

Now the stupid golden wings, heart wings, angel wings, dragon wings, macaw wings and all of those other ones? Yea, I'll give it to you there that those are garbage tier and equally as tacky as bulky capes that clip and hide the armor I grinded gold to make.

Either way, you are banking on Anet, who, on release of the racing scarves, couldn't even be bothered to put physics on the cloth and it just looked like cardboard jutting out from your neck. If you want 'in-lore' capes to look like that, be my guest, because we both know they will do that and will only change it if a mass of people cry.

Tdlr: Don't trust Anet with cosmetics like that.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:

Oh, and shiny wings do.... Having a cape on my norn, which fits perfectly the lore and ambience serves no purpose, but having some raven wings on my back is ok? Those do not "clip"? Those do not block other players view in fights? I don't get your arguments... Capes are just as valid, if not more, as a back item as is any of those kitten wings and banners...

Fractal wing and PvP wings serve their purpose. Fractal and PvP wings both reside in the mists where things like odd magics and weird essences can take place to make things like that. Those are justified. Lore friendly for their location. (Just not on actual Tyria)

Now the stupid golden wings, heart wings, angel wings, dragon wings, macaw wings and all of those other ones? Yea, I'll give it to you there that those are garbage tier and equally as tacky as bulky capes that clip and hide the armor I grinded gold to make.

Either way, you are banking on Anet, who, on release of the racing scarves, couldn't even be bothered to put physics on the cloth and it just looked like cardboard jutting out from your neck. If you want 'in-lore' capes to look like that, be my guest, because we both know they will do that and will only change it if a mass of people cry.

You are right about the technical issues, i may have over reacted a bit and i didn't even think about that part. As right you are about the wings.As for capes i could settle for some more mantles like the Lunatic Light Mantle or the Houndskin Mantle as a compromise! ;)

@Mortelentus.9236 said:

You are right about the technical issues, i may have over reacted a bit and i didn't even think about that part. As right you are about the wings.As for capes i could settle for some more mantles like the Lunatic Light Mantle or the Houndskin Mantle as a compromise!

See, now that, I can drink to that suggestion. My DnD nerd self went absolute nuts for that houndskin mantle.

@"lokh.2695" said:That poor horse....

I wouldn't mind ANet bringing capes to the wardrobe as more options are always better. Stil, I would never equip a cape. I think capes are rediculous and cover too much of my char. Why would I play fashionwars, chosing skins and colors that I like only to cover them with a single and probably undyeable piece of cloth? I just don't get the logic of the "cape ppl". Aslo clipping, also why not spend resources on something else, also nostalgia justifies nothing. Yaddayaddayadda, we'll see this thread again in a week. See you there.

Still applies.

@lokh.2695 said:

@lokh.2695 said:That poor horse....

I wouldn't mind ANet bringing capes to the wardrobe as more options are always better. Stil, I would never equip a cape. I think capes are rediculous and cover too much of my char. Why would I play fashionwars, chosing skins and colors that I like only to cover them with a single and probably undyeable piece of cloth? I just don't get the logic of the "cape ppl". Aslo clipping, also why not spend resources on something else, also nostalgia justifies nothing. Yaddayaddayadda, we'll see this thread again in a week. See you there.

Still applies.

Good to know... Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about Houndskin for charr? That's somewhat of a cloak or cape, right? And it was a efficient workaround clipping technicalities. Notice that this is more in the line of what I mean by cape, rather then the all noble cape of a king or Robin Hood. Which are also valid for many people if it wasn't for the technical issues, which is the only argument i consider valid for not having them ingame considering all the incredibly "idiotic" things we do have.PS - again I apologize if i went a bit out of line in previous posts.

• 4 weeks later...

Was about to create my own post, but found this one.Cape-style backpack is something that i am looking forward to have in GW2. Been waiting long time...

But with the release of Mandalorian series, i want this backpack style more than ever. Simply because, we have Mandalorians in GW2 too!!!RWQMmnA.pngThis is the prime example of possible cape skin:OqcfNQN.jpgAnd this is really a missing piece to complete Mandalorian set =)

@lokh.2695 said:

@lokh.2695 said:That poor horse....

Still applies.

You could always just not equip the cape if it offends your fashion sensibilities that much

Not sure what the attitude against people asking for the same thing every week is about. It's not like there's anything else to discuss. Even the reddit is nothing but low effort memes and art dumps outside of any content release