Searing Chain Gloves Overly Contrasted

Every now and then, there seems to be an armor skin released that's SO shiny or glossy that you can barely even dye it. Such is the case of the Black Lion Chest exclusively obtained Searing Chain Gloves. ... Why?

Except for the obligatory glowy part added in as the third dye channel in just about every new glove skin lately, the chains themselves vary from bright white with a tawny-colored underside (Shadow Abyss) to slightly brighter white with a tan-colored underside (Permafrost), and only slightly change hue. The actual glove part, on Asura, can change colors at least, but on female human, they're very, VERY dark by default. I was unable to even distinguish them as anything but black outside of Permafrost, where they were still darker than my character's fingers!

Please allow better color variation on the base textures of these. For an item you can only achieve by gambling, it's really, REALLY lacking in dye customization.

Its the metallic shader they use on the chain. Its there to give it the reflective quality so the light effect stands out on it correctly. I don't know if its the exact same shader as Juggernaut, but without it, if it went with matte material lighitng (which many heavy armors do have) it would just look spray painted when using dark colors.

@starlinvf.1358 said:I know, but there are plenty of metal shaders on things in the game that aren't nearly as drastic. I like having the dye decide the contrast, like darkness, godless, and cinders. Be that as it may, it doesnt excuse the darkness of the glove part (I haven't tested all race and gender combinations though), and there may as well not be a dye channel there.

Yeah, this abhorrent texture they have been obsessed with since PoF kills so many good skins. Why spend time making a skin when there's so little room for dye diversity? There are too many different metallic textures for armors, which makes it hard to mix and match them without it looking awkward. This is further exacerbated by how different lighting affects these textures differently as well; what may look matching in one lighting may look disjointed in another.

I just got these myself and googled around to see what others had to say - seems like the same thing. Very strange dye patterns for this one, most seem to only change the color of the subtle glow and the color of a finger glove looking thing worn on the hands underneath the chains.

The main thing I wanted to post about though is I think I found what it was intended to be dyed as - if you look at my screenshot, this was using "Destroyer Orange" in all three slots. I also have Postprocessing OFF (i much prefer the graphic style this way overall). With this, it definitely seems like they were going for chains that appear to be heated up as they get closer to the hands, giving the appearance of searing hot metal, with very subtle whispy heat looking marks coming off. This is pretty much the only dye that looks fairly normal that i've found.. and I don't think it looks bad at all (goes with my set pretty nice at the moment) however they really missed a huge opportunity to let people dye the chains more solid colors so they can match better, like seen in Jesse's post above me.

Hope this helps someone.s46QHpX.jpg