Leveling Masteries?

TESLA.7415

I'm not a complete noob, some parts are on backorder, but seriously, I have played off and on since launch (was in beta). However, I have typically just played casually because I enjoyed just exploring and killing stuff. I also like variety so I have 8 toons, four that are level 80, one 71, a 67, 64, and a 50-something.

Now I want to start doing some of the more advanced things. I just got my first mount the other day and wanted to master some things.

Can you have only one mastery gaining experience at a time?

Do masteries have to be done in specific order?

Do you need to be in specific areas to level them?

I have HoT and PoF. I can't seem to pick the masteries I want, like the bouncing mushrooms.

Thanks.

you can level a section in any order... example can choose exalted or gliding, but then you can't level the last one inside that section, you have to start with the first.

You need to be in Hot and LW3 maps for HoT mastery exp.And Pof and LW4 for pof mastery expetc

you also need to earn mastery points to be able to unlock your masteries, once you've gained enough experience.

@TESLA.7415 said:I'm not a complete noob, some parts are on backorder, but seriously, I have played off and on since launch (was in beta). However, I have typically just played casually because I enjoyed just exploring and killing stuff. I also like variety so I have 8 toons, four that are level 80, one 71, a 67, 64, and a 50-something.

Now I want to start doing some of the more advanced things. I just got my first mount the other day and wanted to master some things.

Can you have only one mastery gaining experience at a time?

Yes, any spillover experience will go to another not selected mastery (in case you current selected mastery is full but you have not leveled it by using mastery points).

The only difference here is that you have core Tyria, HoT and PoF masteries which all gain experience in their respective game areas.

@TESLA.7415 said:Do masteries have to be done in specific order?

Only as far ashaving to finish earlier ranks in order to complete later ranks (you need gliding 2 before you can get gliding 3 for example). There are some minor outliers, like having to get Raptor far jump before gaining access to the Bunny. Most often though you are free to chose which mastery you want to level.

Some masteries require certain story progress.

@TESLA.7415 said:Do you need to be in specific areas to level them?

Yes, HoT masteries will only progress in HoT areas and experienced gained there. Core Tyria gains experiences from dungeons, fractals and vanilla open world. PoF from it's areas respectively.

@TESLA.7415 said:I have HoT and PoF. I can't seem to pick the masteries I want, like the bouncing mushrooms.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Heart_of_Thorns_mastery_tracks#Itzel_Lore

Bouncing Mushrooms is part of the Itzel Lore mastery track and requires completing the story mission: Torn from the Sky

@TESLA.7415 said:I'm not a complete noob, some parts are on backorder, but seriously, I have played off and on since launch (was in beta). However, I have typically just played casually because I enjoyed just exploring and killing stuff. I also like variety so I have 8 toons, four that are level 80, one 71, a 67, 64, and a 50-something.

1) Can you have only one mastery gaining experience at a time?

2) Do masteries have to be done in specific order?

3) Do you need to be in specific areas to level them?

4) I have HoT and PoF. I can't seem to pick the masteries I want, like the bouncing mushrooms.

Thanks.

1) Yes only one mastery per area(map region since mastery are region specific)So in HoT/LW3 zones you gain mastery for HoT Mastery.In PoF/LW4 you get Mastery for PoF MasteryCore Maps get mastery for Core Mastery

2)Most of the time yes.

3) Yes as I stated in answer 1.

4) Bouncing Mushroom is a HoT Mastery, which you need to be in HoT/LW3 zones to progress in the mastery to unlock.

hope this helps

Yes, this helps, as all replies have.

I assume, that like unlocking gliding and mounts, all masteries are account unlocks?

I see some masteries that have completion percentages and others with a yellow bar but those have no percentages but say "in training". Are the latter ones the ones you are currently training and in the proper area?

And mastery points must also be obtained and these are gotten by just reaching certain points on the map?

Thanks again.

@"TESLA.7415" said:Yes, this helps, as all replies have.

I assume, that like unlocking gliding and mounts, all masteries are account unlocks?

I see some masteries that have completion percentages and others with a yellow bar but those have no percentages but say "in training". Are the latter ones the ones you are currently training and in the proper area?

And mastery points must also be obtained and these are gotten by just reaching certain points on the map?

Thanks again.

Yes they are account wide.Master points are at points on map called insights but also from achievements like killing karka queen and tripple trubble wurms in core for example.EditAnd you get one for level 10, 20, 30 total of 8 for core storySome for just finishing hot and pof stories and some you have to do achievements in said stories.

@"TESLA.7415" said:Yes, this helps, as all replies have.

Thanks again.

Most was answered above me, but to answer about the bars... You can train one thing in each area (Tyria, hot, or PoF) at a time. So try to be sure something in each area is "in training" if possible. Once a bar is filled, if you have the mastery points available, you can master that ability.

Also not mentioned, if you have Living World Season 2, there are core masteries there for story completion, plus other achievements.

I think I have it nailed down now, thanks to all. I finished Glider Updraft, Bouncing Mushrooms, and even accidentally ended up by some Juvenile Fire Wyzens that I could train. It was a pet I wanted so I began to learn the masteries to get up there. I just ended up there by accident from gliding.

@TESLA.7415 said:I think I have it nailed down now, thanks to all. I finished Glider Updraft, Bouncing Mushrooms, and even accidentally ended up by some Juvenile Fire Wyzens that I could train. It was a pet I wanted so I began to learn the masteries to get up there. I just ended up there by accident from gliding.

There will, or usually does, come a point where you have all your available masteries trained up, but you are short on mastery points to complete it and start the next level. What helped me was creating an account on gw2efficiency.com and data mining the achievements section for your account. Once you save your API key there, you can filter the achievements page to only show you achievements that you haven't completed that will give you a mastery point - and in the specific area that you need the point for (HoT, PoF, Core). If you don't have a gw2efficiency account, I strongly suggest making one, and the instructions on creating an API key are is on that site. Really a helpful web site, may be one of the most helpful external sites after the wiki.