Complete noob

Hi guys,I know you probably get these posts a lot but basically I’m completely new to the guild wars games. I’ve played WoW, all the Diablo’s etc, just looking for a new game. I’ve purchased the upgrades so I have a level 80 hero ready to go but also got a level 20 I’ve been playing through. I’m just looking for a bit of guidance, some friendly people to help me along with some useful tips as to where to start! I watched several YouTube videos and read quite a lot of posts but always best to just go straight to the source and ask opinions! A guild would be handy too, I’m a really active gamer and willing to put the hours in to learn all about this game.No flame pls I have feelings :(((

Edit; sorry I realise it’s probably good to mention I’m an EU player

Thanks in advance!

Hi @"DAVIDISWIN.3182" and welcome to the game,

one of the most repeated advices for gw2 is to level your first character manually. I know, using the lvl 80 boosts is tempting and all, but you'll quickly find yourself overwhelmed.

Every race has a capital city and Lions Arch (short LA) is the capital of them all. Your race's capital city is close to where your character first starts and has a portal that leads to LA. This is important to know since it allows you to get around and to other low lvl maps quickly.

Don't try to level by killing mobs, especially not above your level. The best way to level is map completion. Take part in events you come across, unlock waypoints, vistas, etc. and help NPCs by completing the yellow heart quests. If you've completed your map and still don't have the level for the next map, you can travel to another race's starting area and level there. Being a higher level than the map's level cap is no problem, you still get full exp.

Currently in LA there's our annual Halloween Event running. I recomment participating there, since it has rewards that are only available once a year. 3 Candy Corn Cobs for a 20 slot bag is a really good offer.

If you feel you're getting around too slowly, take one of your boosted lvl 80 characters and start the Path of Fire story line. In the very first mission you'll get a raptor mount. Likewise if you feel you're falling to your death too often, start the Heart of Thorns story line and get yourself the glider. The expansion content is a lot harder than core Tyria though. Mobs are hitting harder, have a greater range and sometimes have special mechanics to defeat them.

Once you're lvl 30, the game will show you where the first dungeon is. Dungeons are not required in GW2. In fact they're rather dead content. You can still find groups via the looking for group tool for the dungeon paths that have a farm status though. If you join such a group, tell them you're new and they'll most likely explain what you have to do. Don't stay silent hoping no one will notice, people really don't like that. The real "dungeon" experience is found in LA and is called Fractals of the Mists. So if Dungeons were your thing in the other games, try Fractals.

95%+ of game content is after reaching level 80, including fractals, mounts, etc. Don't let that dissuade you though; going through personal story, dungeons, and open world events will get you there quite quickly. There's a ton of options of how to play this game. I'd say you should explore the world and find out what's right for you!

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:Every race has a capital city and Lions Arch (short LA) is the capital of them all. Your race's capital city is close to where your character first starts and has a portal that leads to LA. This is important to know since it allows you to get around and to other low lvl maps quickly.

The portal to LA is actually not all that important because every character starts with a WP unlocked in each starting zone. This has been in place since at least core became free to play.

Currently in LA there's our annual Halloween Event running. I recomment participating there, since it has rewards that are only available once a year. 3 Candy Corn Cobs for a 20 slot bag is a really good offer.

The pail is okay but it shouldn't be any sort of deciding factor. A lv400 armorsmith/tailor can craft an equivalent 20 slot bag for slightly less. The crafted bags can also be bought from the TP for slightly more than the pail.

@DAVIDISWIN.3182 said:Okay fractals sound good, is there a level requirement for that?

Technically no, at least for tier 1. You can enter at any level and the game will scale you up to 80(but this is just a stat increase, you will still be missing traits and using lower tier runes and sigils) and you can use a consumable to cover the Agony Resistance up to scale 22/23 but most people will expect a lv80 in there.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice.

I ran a couple of fractals last night and enjoyed them! As much as I didn’t really know what was going on haha, I held my own and didn’t die anyway so that’s a plus. Told everyone I was new as soon as I joined the party and everyone said it was fine and I was doing alright!

So now I’ve got a few more questions, in terms of getting good gear is this a case of crafting? Coming from a mainly Diablo background I’m used to running dungeons in an endless search for items to drop, everything that drops for me just now has been pretty crap but I guess I’m running at pretty low levels though.

There’s items, can’t remember what they’re called, that you can consume for a MF bonus, is this permanent or a buff? I used one but couldn’t see it appearing as a buff.

In terms of crafting I’ve got loads of stuff there to craft but no idea where to start, is there perhaps a good video guide or something you could recommend?

I know these are a lot of basic questions but bare with me haha, appreciate the help though!

most gear once you reach level 80 needs to usually be bought or crafted. Dropping full sets of similar stat gear would take a while and gathering currencies (like dungeon tokens) would be pretty slow-going. This game is mainly built on crafting goods...and there is rarely "good drops". In this game it is a material farm :(

You can buy full sets of exotic gear relatively cheap...find something you like in that tier then craft the ascended version later. Usually people start off with soldier gear (power, toughness, vitality) and work their way up to berserker once they learn the class a little better. Or, you could go with a condi version if you choose...so Dire would be like the equivalent of soldiers.If you are leveling up on lower levels just use whatever drops...it won't make a huge difference overall but again, you can just buy full sets relatively cheap on the trading post.

Crafting guide I used a long time ago was here:https://gw2crafts.net/You can go to the fast guides at the top of the page and chose one for your armor type and/or weapon type. We use to use these pretty often because it also leveled up your toons fast too. I think it was nerfed later but should still allow you to level a bit.

Good luck and take your time :)Its a marathon, not a sprint

Ah okay I get you, I rolled a ranger to begin with so I have full soldier for her. So you would say the best next step would be to get myself a full set of exotic gear?

How do the sets work, I’m used to the likes of Diablo etc where a set is specific for a class mainly, and each one is suited to a different build. I guess this is similar? Would you be able to recommend me a set for a ranger who uses bows?

In terms of getting a guild should I just go for anyone who will take me really?

Thanks for your help!

@"DAVIDISWIN.3182" said:Hi guys,I know you probably get these posts a lot but basically I’m completely new to the guild wars games. I’ve played WoW, all the Diablo’s etc, just looking for a new game. I’ve purchased the upgrades so I have a level 80 hero ready to go but also got a level 20 I’ve been playing through. I’m just looking for a bit of guidance, some friendly people to help me along with some useful tips as to where to start! I watched several YouTube videos and read quite a lot of posts but always best to just go straight to the source and ask opinions! A guild would be handy too, I’m a really active gamer and willing to put the hours in to learn all about this game.No flame pls I have feelings :(((

Edit; sorry I realise it’s probably good to mention I’m an EU player

Thanks in advance!

I have a few advices I give to new players so they can understand some things early on.

1) if you type /wiki in the game chat and shift click on objects/or type the name of an object it will open up the browser to the wiki page on that specific topic if one exist. Great for getting information on stuff.

2) with the above advice, Event Timers is also an important feature. Type /wiki ETwill open up the wiki page with the Event timer. the big Boss fights we call Meta Events. the Core Maps is what we call the maps that dont require Expansions. aka like Vanilla Maps in Vanilla WoW compared to WoW's Expansion maps. Same thing. Endgame really consist of getting skins and collecting mats to craft a Legendary. So some people follow the Meta Train in core maps. which leads me to my next point.

3) You will get Unidentified Gear bags as loot often. Just save the Yellow ones to open, and salvage all the rest of them ( Green and Blue). Sometimes the Yellow Unidentified Gear bags have exotic loot which may have a skin you dont have, or a Precursor for crafting a Legendary. If its just a yellow reward when you open them, salvage them as well.

4) You can do a "Salvage All" based on quality type (Blue/green/yellow) by right clicking the Salvage tool you are using. With the suggestion above, you may not want it to Salvage all Yellow items since you may want to open the Unidentified Yellow Gear bags. Placing them in Shared Inventory Slots (something from the Gemstore I highly recommend), and it wont get salvaged when you do the Salvage all Yellow items command as mentioned.

5) Jumping Puzzles, Mesmers are the masters of this since they get a portal teleport ability that not all classes get. But You can get a tool in the game that does something similar. I will link to it below to the wiki page that better explain how to get it. there are multiple similar items but this one is easy to get and reusable.Called "Prototype Position Rewinder"https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Prototype_Position_Rewinder

6) WvW allow you to play at lower levels by scaling you up to max level. You wont be as powerful, but can still be an impact on the gameplay of the large scale fights. I recommend sticking with what we call the "Commander Tag Zergs". Sometimes can be fun, and rewarding as well. You can select reward tracks, and level up your character there using Tombs of Knowledge. Same for SPvP. But unlike WvW, in SPvP you are scaled up to max level and have all skills unlocked there and gear dont matter there. So if you like that sort of gameplay, you can do it from the start if you want and still level up your characters.

7) A Good way to make coins in the game as you learn to farm Meta Event train, is to sell your unwanted crafting materials. You can easily right click on the material in your inventory and click "Sell on trading post" and with small listing fee, automatically sell it and get coin. This is helpful when bag space gets tight.

8) Damage Stats tend to be way more valuable than the defensive stats. Some may disagree with this, but generally I believe most people agree. So when you get down to making endgame Ascended gear which can be a little costly and time consuming, I would start off with a set of Power/Condition gear unless you really want to just do your own thing as a Support player. I myself enjoy playing support, but I havnt even taken the time and resources to make a full ascended support gear or heavy Toughness gear. Damage>Healing>Toughness in this game unfortunately.

9) Keep an eye on the LFG tool (default Y button) which brings up social list of friends as well, but its on the side tabs. We have a thing we call "Taxi". Taxi is when a Commander tag (Raid leader pretty much in WoW terms) advertises their Squad in the LFG tab under whatever map they advertising on, and people can freely join that squad and when they enter the map, they have a option to right click on anybody in the Squad UI and click join in that map. See in Guild Wars 2, there are multiple map copies of the same maps. Sometimes people will get spread between these copies. Taxi helps get everybody onto the same map. Useful when trying to get people together for Meta Events and other hard group fights. But be warned, sometimes these maps are full, and the Squad may still be listed in the LFG page and you will only know if they say its full or if you right click to join map and message say its full. Try a different taxi, or start your own Squad to taxi players to your map.

10) As you move up in level and decide to get PoF expansion, since HoT is free, I personally suggest going to PoF and getting the Mounts first then going to HoT. made the HoT much more enjoyable to me to get around, but thats a personal opinion. Some people may just like the original design intentions of HoT in itself and prefer to get around with those limitations in mind.

@DAVIDISWIN.3182 said:Ah okay I get you, I rolled a ranger to begin with so I have full soldier for her. So you would say the best next step would be to get myself a full set of exotic gear?

How do the sets work, I’m used to the likes of Diablo etc where a set is specific for a class mainly, and each one is suited to a different build. I guess this is similar? Would you be able to recommend me a set for a ranger who uses bows?

No, set is used more in the mathematical sense as in 1 of each slot.

In terms of Diablo set bonus like things, those are from the runes which usually have different effects on their 4th and 6th piece in addition to the stats given by the other 4. With the current iteration of runes they are pretty much all used in a full set of 6(as opposed to mixing multiple sets). You will also need to put a 7th in the aquabreather if you want to retain the 6th piece effect when underwater

As for recommendations for bows that is a bit questionable. Longbow is power damage(smack things until they are dead) while shortbow is condition damage(damage over time). Hybrid damage stat prefixes exist but traits system isn't particularly great at supporting hybrid builds.

Pretty much all classes can do anything to some degree so there is nothing to recommend just based off of class. It depends on what you want to do with the character and what playstyle you prefer.

For example I generally prefer damage oriented characters with some additional form of sustain besides the heal skill.

@DAVIDISWIN.3182 said:Ah okay I get you, I rolled a ranger to begin with so I have full soldier for her. So you would say the best next step would be to get myself a full set of exotic gear?

In terms of getting a guild should I just go for anyone who will take me really?

Thanks for your help!

I am not sure how diablo works for 'sets' but luckily here you have a little more freedom as to whom can use what.All armor here (as you have probably figured out) is weighted as heavy (warriors, guards, revs and their elite specs) medium (ranger, engi, thief) and light (mesmer, ele, necro) and you can mix all six pieces as you see fit to accrue the stats you want.For example If I use all soldier gear I get power (which longbow uses) toughness and vitality (both for survivability) which is a good mix for having some output of damage while still being able to survive attacks.As you progress, though, you will learn how to play with less survivability traits and can focus on more damage output.E.g. power often needs precision and ferocity for crit chance and crit power. It takes down mobs faster but ofc lacks any durability traits.Or you can go the route of condi which would not need the extra precision (unless trying to proc a trait of effect) or ferocity (which does not help condi damage.Longbow is using power as @Khisanth.2948 said while shortbow would go with condi.So, if you already have longbow as your main weapon and all soldier's gear you can start adding in more berserker gear to get more crit and crit damage (e.g. 4 pieces soldier 2 pieces berserker.....then 3:3 , 2:4 , etc until you are comfortable going all berserker.Once you have the gold switch all your rares to exotics and once you learn how to craft switch to ascended for the increase in stats.

The armor pieces however can be supplemented with runes which will offer more features/effects. These can be mixed but usually they are not because you miss out on the 4th and 6th bonus as Khisanth.2948 also mentioned.

Ofc there is also the amulet, accessories, rings, and backpiece which you treat like armor. Keep adding more offense as you get comfortable and work your way up to ascended.

As for the guild, Sure, just find some people to play with at first.Luckily you are not stuck and you can join up to five guilds (which is good and bad but that is a different discussion). Eventually you will find ppl that suit you best.Don't be alarmed if ppl arent too talkative in /g chat at first though. People are usually spread out across multiple modes and timezones and don't always have a chance to type or pay attention all the time :)

It takes quite a lot of time to get use to this game but just keep doing what you are doing. Learn as you play and keep asking questions.

Honestly can’t thank you guys enough, I wasn’t expecting to find so much useful knowledge on my post if I’m honest

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me and with such useful info, I had learned a lot from videos and posts etc but it’s always good to get your own specific questions answered rather than just a general sweeping tutorial.

I’m gonna get on quite a lot this weekend and start having a look around at what I wanna do, ran some more fractals and stuff so have a very small stockpile of resources.

Looks like I need to make some friends so that’ll be this weekends job haha!

Once again thanks guys it’s really appreciated

Dungeons are a good way to obtain exotic armour, notably berserker stats which are great for PvE. For characters you hit level 80 on I would recommend you use full berserkers (power*/precision/ferocity). From personal experience, using soldiers/knights or generally stats that gave me significant increased personal survivability at the cost of damage really held me back when I was newer to the game. Avoiding damage via dodges or blocks etc is a core part playing the game effectively, and you will improve considerably faster by running "glass cannon" gear while using your class utility or dodge to avoid damage than simply taking hits and killing stuff slower. You will probably die a lot of first, but it will be worth it. I'm experienced with all forms of high-end PvE content so if you need tips or questions you can message me in game

Op best advice is bench that level 80 char and start a new one. by skipping to level 80 you are literally missing out on a hundred plus hours of great gameplay and exploration fun. GW2 is very different ftom wow and eso etc in that there Is a firm gear cap that has been in place for many years. This means there is no difference between hitting 80 now and a years time. Furthermore if you like pvp (spvp in GW2 world) , you automatically get max stats and access to everything.

@Painbow.6059 said:Dungeons are a good way to obtain exotic armour, notably berserker stats which are great for PvE.

They are okay for that but exotic berserker armor is pretty cheap these days(by getting the named sets, Devona, Nika and Zhed) and you'll have to make sure you are doing the right dungeon because each has 3 prefixes and only some have berserker.

Thanks for the support guys, I know you probably get new people asking for help all the time so appreciate you taking time to get back to me.

I had a look at the auction house but I’m not really sure what I’m going for, I scrolled down to the berserker but there were a few options so wasn’t really sure. Also in terms of crafting do I need to just start with crafting the low stuff and build myself up a bit?

I’ve kinda used my level 80 as a taster for what the end game is like but I’m focusing a new character at the moment, what’s your recommendations for the most noob friendly class and build?

Cheers

@"DAVIDISWIN.3182" said:Thanks for the support guys, I know you probably get new people asking for help all the time so appreciate you taking time to get back to me.

I had a look at the auction house but I’m not really sure what I’m going for, I scrolled down to the berserker but there were a few options so wasn’t really sure. Also in terms of crafting do I need to just start with crafting the low stuff and build myself up a bit?

I’ve kinda used my level 80 as a taster for what the end game is like but I’m focusing a new character at the moment, what’s your recommendations for the most noob friendly class and build?

Cheers

For crafting, yes, you need to craft the low-level stuff to attain a higher crafting level. As for noob friendly classes, I would recommend Dragonhunter (guardian Heart of Thorns specialisation) and Warrior (core or base warrior is probably the easiest). It is easy to grasp the basics on both classes, and both classes have good innate survivability along with bursty aoe skills. Play Axe/Axe with the Discipline traitline on warrior, with a greatsword on swap. Use skill 5 on axe for big damage. For Dragonhunter, play greatsword and sword/scepter focus . Use skill 4 followed by 2 on greatsword for big damage. Both Warrior and Dragonhunter are also sought after classes in end-game PvE, although you will want to play Berserker (warrior Heart of Thorns specialisation) instead of core most of the time when it comes to end-game.Metabattle has some information and resources regarding builds generally https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki. The Snow Crows website also has builds along with optimal gear, rotations, and class guides, although it is focused on raids and you don't need to pay too much attention to the website until you're ready for raiding (https://snowcrows.com/). Moreover, the Snow Crows website it a much better resource for raid builds and rotations than Metabattle, as it is pioneered by top-tier PvE players as opposed to casuals who pioneer metabattle.

Couple of other items:

1. During Halloween, you can go in mad king's labrythin and get up-leveled to 80. You'll still have your junk low-level weapons and armor, but you'll be able to tag everything as you run around in a zerg. MASSIVE experience to power level. I did my necro this way a couple years ago. I think I went from level 15 to 75 in like 4 or 5 days, just playing after work and after finishing my dailies.
  2. FOOD. Make sure you are always, ALWAYS, running around with a food. 10 to 15% bonus experience from kills with a food, and you can get free food from the trick or treat bags right now. Same for utilities. If you have any boosters from login rewards and such, make sure you are using them too. And when you do get a guild, make sure you get the experience gain booster from the bartender in the guild hall tavern - that booster is 10% bonus experience by itself.

Necro is a very easy class to play in open world. Ranger also. Minions and pets keep most mobs off you. Plus necromancer has shroud to hide in, which is almost a second health bar. Once you get to heart of Thorns, you get Reaper, which is even more powerful with "Rise!" Reaper becomes a raiding party on its own if you time your shouts correctly.