New Generation Roamers lack the Bravery of the Old Guards — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home WvW

New Generation Roamers lack the Bravery of the Old Guards

EremiteAngel.9765EremiteAngel.9765 Member ✭✭✭✭

For the past few weeks, I have logged into WvW to see Tier 3 enemy supply camps in EBG and Borderlands.

This would have been a rare sight in the past when roamers would have gone deep into enemy lands to take their camps.
It wasn't easy to tier up a supply camp.

Now? Tier 3 Supply Camps are everywhere.
We got them, enemies got them, everyone got them.

And the reason is because our new generation roamers lack the bravery to roam in enemy lands.
Whether solo, duo or party, they mostly roam in home owned territories only.
Enter the enemy lands? Rare.

I even once offered and paid a roamer 2 gold to flip an enemy T3 camp that was supplying SMC with speed yaks that we were trying to take.

This is just sad.

Just earlier I watched an old guard roaming guild QQ bravely roaming in enemy territories and fighting outnumbered.
This is what it means to roam bravely and freely.

New Generation roamers need to learn this from the old guards.

<134

Comments

  • Len.1879Len.1879 Member ✭✭✭

    Well, if, as you say, your enemies have T3 camps and you are sad to see that, why not heed Gandhi?
    fm005.jpg

  • Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019

    i don't mind roaming, but i get bored playing gw2 alone. :/ i often change to an rpg game. i even play pvp now when my guildmates aren't on.

    Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

  • Gop.8713Gop.8713 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I agree most players are not willing to commit to even or outnumbered fights these days, but I do still see players running around at the north end of enemy bls. I would agree that those players are less successful than they used to be, but I'm not sure I can put my finger on a reason for that . . .

  • It's probably because of the watchtower upgrade on towers and the "marked" of sentries. Which I both love.

    Camp flippers can only go so many routes unnoticed and the defenders only have to watch the routes the sentries/watchtowers don't cover.

  • Holland.9351Holland.9351 Member ✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019

    @Holland.9351 said:
    It's probably because of the watchtower upgrade on towers and the "marked" of sentries. Which I both love.

    Camp flippers can only go so many routes unnoticed and the defenders only have to watch the routes the sentries/watchtowers don't cover.

    To add to that, the camp flippers were never brave. They needed to flip a camp fast enough before anyone had time to react and fight them over it. Then they'd disappear in stealth to go to the next camp.

    edit: Let's also not forget the Target Painter Trap. All great additions to the game.

  • Mikhael.2391Mikhael.2391 Member ✭✭✭

    Well i go around looking for fights but when a iget outnumbered not using a broken class that can get in and out at will like thief mesmer rangers warrior and holo my skill means nothing against these classes with better tools.

    I still do it and am happy when i win against other bad players since the same lvl of skill ones will win most times due to the class they have.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @EremiteAngel.9765 said:
    And the reason is because our new generation roamers lack the bravery to roam in enemy lands.

    It's a nice attempt at framing, but bravery is not a factor when a player has nothing to lose by putting themselves in a risky situation...otherwise the player behind Leeroy Jenkins is woefully overdue to receive an MMORPGMOH (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game Medal of Honor)

  • GaijinGuy.8476GaijinGuy.8476 Member ✭✭✭

    Things auto upgrade now, that’s why you see them. You don’t even have to pay for upgrades. Nothing has changed except for the population which could also be contributing.

  • Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Roamers run in groups of 5+ now. Amazingly efficient.

  • Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @thehipone.6812 said:
    And screw that random dolyak that always spawns when you have the camp 90% capped and you see the opposing warclaw racing towards you.

    Ahhh..that is the rare-spawn Trollyak. Wish it dropped extra loot to compensate for the trouble it always causes.

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019

    @Mikhael.2391 said:
    Well i go around looking for fights but when a iget outnumbered not using a broken class that can get in and out at will like thief mesmer rangers warrior and holo my skill means nothing against these classes with better tools.

    I still do it and am happy when i win against other bad players since the same lvl of skill ones will win most times due to the class they have.

    Don't you love this logic? If I win, it's because I'm better! But if I lose, it's because you play easier/better class. At this point I'd advice playing "the better class" and stop making excuses when you happen to lose. :D
    bonus tip! You're not limited to playing a single class and you can swap them depending on what you want to do :open_mouth:

  • I play Kodash [EU], and for last 3 days i got killed by asura condi trapper abount ~20 times, wherever i go i meet this small ****r, i even cant get out from our keep. Shall i know when finally these condi builds get a nerf ??? Because almost all roamers i meet are thiefs or condi mesmers/ condi rangers....

  • Mikhael.2391Mikhael.2391 Member ✭✭✭

    @Sobx.1758 said:

    @Mikhael.2391 said:
    Well i go around looking for fights but when a iget outnumbered not using a broken class that can get in and out at will like thief mesmer rangers warrior and holo my skill means nothing against these classes with better tools.

    I still do it and am happy when i win against other bad players since the same lvl of skill ones will win most times due to the class they have.

    Don't you love this logic? If I win, it's because I'm better! But if I lose, it's because you play easier/better class. At this point I'd advice playing "the better class" and stop making excuses when you happen to lose. :D
    bonus tip! You're not limited to playing a single class and you can swap them depending on what you want to do :open_mouth:

    I might loose ofc. But unlike a mesmer that has the tools to fend off a guardian and necro players at same time that have the same skill level because of the class mechanichs and invulns damage denials WHILE dealling damage works better and can be more bursty from a safe distance the other way around will not happen. A guardian cannot disengage at will and successfully run away to get cds back nor a necro.

    And that is not up to discussion .

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Mikhael.2391 said:

    @Sobx.1758 said:

    @Mikhael.2391 said:
    Well i go around looking for fights but when a iget outnumbered not using a broken class that can get in and out at will like thief mesmer rangers warrior and holo my skill means nothing against these classes with better tools.

    I still do it and am happy when i win against other bad players since the same lvl of skill ones will win most times due to the class they have.

    Don't you love this logic? If I win, it's because I'm better! But if I lose, it's because you play easier/better class. At this point I'd advice playing "the better class" and stop making excuses when you happen to lose. :D
    bonus tip! You're not limited to playing a single class and you can swap them depending on what you want to do :open_mouth:

    I might loose ofc. But unlike a mesmer that has the tools to fend off a guardian and necro players at same time that have the same skill level because of the class mechanichs and invulns damage denials WHILE dealling damage works better and can be more bursty from a safe distance the other way around will not happen. A guardian cannot disengage at will and successfully run away to get cds back nor a necro.

    And that is not up to discussion .

    Then why arent you playing those classes? Im sure you're playing necro/guard because they're so bad :D
    Tbh it seems you're just making excuses whenever you fail.

  • Voltekka.2375Voltekka.2375 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dawdler.8521 said:

    @Voltekka.2375 said:
    Roamers run in groups of 50+ now. Amazingly efficient.

    Fixed your mistake.

    Ah, yes. Typo, my bad.

  • L A T I O N.8923L A T I O N.8923 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dawdler.8521 said:

    @Voltekka.2375 said:
    Roamers run in groups of 50+ now. Amazingly efficient.

    Fixed your mistake.

    I Hate IT when i wanna take a camp with 50 roamers and i cant even cap a guard

  • I roam exclusively solo in enemy EBG. I have not been taking camps as frequently b/c of Warclaw. Reinforcements can arrive too quickly and you cannot escape if greatly outnumbered. The only way to avoid the Warclaw pile on is to roam blue/red sides near spawn where you can use cliffs to escape.

  • SoV.5139SoV.5139 Member ✭✭✭

    Most of them are tail ganking zergs, on glass builds with full escape kits. Its rare when I see someone on a balanced build actually taking "fair" fights, or taking camps / banding together to take a tower, etc.

  • Clownmug.8357Clownmug.8357 Member ✭✭✭

    The only "brave" roamers these days have easy mode meta builds and run around shoulder to shoulder with their guild buddies.

  • The game isnt what it was
    Gotta join the condi zerg

    Duo roamers?! SOLO?! LMAO
    "Roamers" are out in gangs of 10 these days!
    All 10 will jump on a single player!

  • subversiontwo.7501subversiontwo.7501 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019

    As others have already alluded to, I don't think it is an issue with bravery among the players and rather that the environment has changed.

    People have mentioned the upgrades system, the shrinking overall playerbase relative coverage to that and the particular changes in roamer amounts or shifts in player demography towards anonymous players following pickup groups to a higher degree than before.

    Another aspect that hasn't been mentioned (or at least when I read the thread this afternoon) is the introduction of the Warclaw. Alot of the attention in the Warclaw debate has been put on unwilling combatants and ganking vs. squad reconnection. An aspect that has been given far less attention even though it is arguably more important for the health of the mode as a mode is that it shifted the balance between attackers and defenders. That is sometimes mentioned with regards to reconnecting to a defensive fight (say, from spawn for a keep) but if you are looking at everyday gameplay and general statistics it har arguably affected roamers and havocers more.

    That is another reason for the topic of this thread and it's contribution should not be underestimated. Running slower on hostile soil and being easier caught by superior numbers (even more so on hostile soil) will discourage alot of the activities that roamers and havocers did behind enemy lines by fighting around spawn camps and back-towers or attempting to capture them sneakily. That balance shifted more towards a defenders' advantage and while you can still certainly do it (and reap area benefits by claiming areas behind enemy lines to roam on) there is more of an entry barrier and bits of discouragement to attempting it now. That affects statistics even if it doesn't affect possibilities.

  • Bigpapasmurf.5623Bigpapasmurf.5623 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @len.7809 said:
    Its not about new generation roamer or old generation roamer. You just can't solo roam anymore.

    Well........not entirely true. I am primarily a solo roamer and not a DE aaaaaaaaaaand can usually (not 100% but maybe 80%) peace out before the roaming parties jump on me.

    The rest of your statements I can get behind however

    Red = Dead...or someone runs away. Either way it's gone.
    twitch.tv/TRMC
    Lover of Jumping puzzles, Squirrels, WvW, and Taimi
    CLOK Commander and all around nice bro

  • Sobx.1758Sobx.1758 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019

    I feel like this thread is trying to glorify the past more than it deserves. There were always better and worse roamers, they often tried to cap camps before they needed to fight or just pick out the newbs that were staggering behind their groups. The biggest difference nowadays is the introduction of warclaw, but just because you happen to meet groups rolling over camps, doesn't mean that solo/duo roaming is dead. Because it's not, it just seems you guys don't spend time doing it, so you have a weak sample. And btw, they have mounts but you do too, so if you still get steamrolled by groups when you didn't want to pick that fight, it's really at least partially on you. Raoming =/= dueling, not sure what you expected lmao.


    @Mikhael.2391 said:

    @Sobx.1758 said:

    @Mikhael.2391 said:

    @Sobx.1758 said:

    @Mikhael.2391 said:
    Well i go around looking for fights but when a iget outnumbered not using a broken class that can get in and out at will like thief mesmer rangers warrior and holo my skill means nothing against these classes with better tools.

    I still do it and am happy when i win against other bad players since the same lvl of skill ones will win most times due to the class they have.

    Don't you love this logic? If I win, it's because I'm better! But if I lose, it's because you play easier/better class. At this point I'd advice playing "the better class" and stop making excuses when you happen to lose. :D
    bonus tip! You're not limited to playing a single class and you can swap them depending on what you want to do :open_mouth:

    I might loose ofc. But unlike a mesmer that has the tools to fend off a guardian and necro players at same time that have the same skill level because of the class mechanichs and invulns damage denials WHILE dealling damage works better and can be more bursty from a safe distance the other way around will not happen. A guardian cannot disengage at will and successfully run away to get cds back nor a necro.

    And that is not up to discussion .

    Then why arent you playing those classes? Im sure you're playing necro/guard because they're so bad :D
    Tbh it seems you're just making excuses whenever you fail.

    I play them because they are more fun and were the first 2 i played at launch.

    Not making excuses but any necro that wins against a thief means the thief was bad.

    On the other hand any guard that loses to thief means the guard is bad. What a great way to "discuss" o/

  • ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Len.1879 said:
    Well, if, as you say, your enemies have T3 camps and you are sad to see that, why not heed Gandhi?
    fm005.jpg

    Hmm... ok.

  • SoV.5139SoV.5139 Member ✭✭✭

    I do, but its usually the Gandhi from Civ. B)

  • Excursion.9752Excursion.9752 Member ✭✭✭

    Times are changing. I feel like a lot of people complain about the good old days. Like we are a bunch of old guys sitting at a restaurant sharing remember when stories. While the youth is looking at us laughing secretly saying in their head, "Get with the times nothing stays the same". I've found that no matter how much I want things to be like the days of Old it just is never going to happen. Things get harder and easier we just have to adapt. Especially with the ebb and flow of the WvW player base which I believe is the main reason for these camps. We just don't have coverage like we used to...

                                                              There is a 50% chance you will not agree with me and a 50% chance I will not agree with you
    
  • XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Dedicated havoc guilds started dying off since HoT came in. These days you cap camps to pull a fight but people would rather gank with bigger numbers anyways, there's no real reason to waste time trying to cut supply from something upgrading, waypoints became less important with ewp gliders and mounts for faster travel.

    ^ Another derailing post - Anet
    Perma stealth is needed to outrun zergs. - Thieves
    A skill overpowered? just nerf their dodge, balanced. - Anet
    No expansion money as long as Mesmers are broken. - Me

  • Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Excursion.9752 said:
    Times are changing. I feel like a lot of people complain about the good old days. Like we are a bunch of old guys sitting at a restaurant sharing remember when stories. While the youth is looking at us laughing secretly saying in their head, "Get with the times nothing stays the same". I've found that no matter how much I want things to be like the days of Old it just is never going to happen. Things get harder and easier we just have to adapt. Especially with the ebb and flow of the WvW player base which I believe is the main reason for these camps. We just don't have coverage like we used to...

    it is similar, my experience. and my guys are indeed not young anymore. :/

    Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

  • Sleepwalker.1398Sleepwalker.1398 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019

    I must add that most Tier 3 camps are nowdays littered with ballis and golems.
    Someone sees you, then they come running and hop into golem and call for backup.
    Unless you have a couple with you, its no point staying there.

  • what roamers? the spawn camping gankers? The 3+x v 1 crowd hanging around their own smc?

  • Mil.3562Mil.3562 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 28, 2019

    What? Ppl are still playing WvW?
    Must be waiting for Alliance... wait longer then but not for the change, only another update annoucement, and then... wait for 1 year more... for even more update announcements and then... I T E.

  • Grey.3179Grey.3179 Member ✭✭

    Nike Rangers Unite!!!
    I almost exclusively solo roam on a Greatsword, sword/warhorn soulbeast with a bird pet. I can't tell you how much fun I have had flipping camps and getting groups to chase me all over the map. I have more fun lately than I have had in a while.

    I'm not positive but I think Papasmurf plays a mesmer, which is not condi cancer, but everyone knows that mesmers have some serious cooties. Lol.

    Thunderfro The Grey ~ Darkhaven by way of BP~ [HART]

  • ArchonWing.9480ArchonWing.9480 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @SoV.5139 said:
    I do, but its usually the Gandhi from Civ. B)

    Maybe but then there wouldn't be a borderlands left.

  • HazyDaisy.4107HazyDaisy.4107 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Tiered camps being guarded by 2 and 3 people at 2am on a Monday morning in T4 by the second place team and they still refuse to leave the camp for a "fight" with 1 roamer unless they have another 2-3 more for said "fight" Yes, clearly there's a lack of bravery on the roamers part these days...

  • Acheron.4731Acheron.4731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Justine.6351 said:
    I don't think anybody was ever brave. They either played builds they knew they could run away on, played builds that could win every 1v1 or just learned to not care if they died.

    I was the third
    I really contributed negatively to our warscore sometimes :)
    BUT BY GOD I WAS NOT GIVING YOU THAT CAMP FOR FREE
    That SWC is for MY BAY....STAY OUT (all 4-6 of you thieves, brave ranger at 1500 range and illusions and clones coming from somewhere)

    Don't Worry, My Dutch is OK

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @HazyDaisy.4107 said:
    Tiered camps being guarded by 2 and 3 people at 2am on a Monday morning in T4 by the second place team and they still refuse to leave the camp for a "fight" with 1 roamer unless they have another 2-3 more for said "fight" Yes, clearly there's a lack of bravery on the roamers part these days...

    This so much, in the last year of solo roaming ive never seen so many players camping on camps(the last month has been terrible) and refusing to fight unless they either outnumber you or have backup incoming already.

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • Bigpapasmurf.5623Bigpapasmurf.5623 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Grey.3179 said:
    Nike Rangers Unite!!!
    I almost exclusively solo roam on a Greatsword, sword/warhorn soulbeast with a bird pet. I can't tell you how much fun I have had flipping camps and getting groups to chase me all over the map. I have more fun lately than I have had in a while.

    I'm not positive but I think Papasmurf plays a mesmer, which is not condi cancer, but everyone knows that mesmers have some serious cooties. Lol.

    Nuuuu. I was discovered....as was my non condi / non meta cooties

    Red = Dead...or someone runs away. Either way it's gone.
    twitch.tv/TRMC
    Lover of Jumping puzzles, Squirrels, WvW, and Taimi
    CLOK Commander and all around nice bro