Is it time for Gw3?

zealex.9410

Disclaimer: I did not watch the video, but I am assuming it is pro-GW3.

No.

Despite all the "ded game xd" comments everywhere, the game is still going fairly strong for an 8 year old game. There is plenty of new content coming in the future and most of the community is amazing. Anyone playing a game for 8 years (or even just a few years) is bound to have times where they find it stale or boring, and want to take a break, but this doesn't mean the game is dying - I still see a decent influx of both new players and old players returning to the game for the new Living Story.

GW2 is probably past its peak and I do understand the reasons of those players who no longer enjoy the game, or are frustrated at the lack/rate of new content (esp Raids and Fractals), or the balancing in the game, but what would a GW3 achieve, especially now? It probably would just kill the game. People would start questioning whether promised content would actually be delivered, it would be unlikely Anet would keep investing lots of time in the game past that, and it would fuel the "game is dying" comments.

Once GW2 is "finished" or has stopped being updated with any "proper" new content, then it may be a good time for a sequel - but in my opinion it's not there yet.

@"Lottie.5370" said:Once GW2 is "finished" or has stopped being updated with any "proper" new content, then it may be a good time for a sequel - but in my opinion it's not there yet.

But isnt that how it works in general? A sequel doesnt make sense until it does, in this case it would make sense for it when the devs decide they dont want to keep milking gw2 therefor putting it on maintenance.

For what is worth im on the same boat, imo this game has at least another expansion's worth of content to put out.

@Vinceman.4572 said:

@Krzysztof.5973 said:You should ask yourself a question. Are they capable of making good sequel?

Exactly, and this is a rhetorical one these days. Especially zealex should know it for months now.

Mainly wanted to share the vid, i have formed an opinion on this for months. For what is worth tho a new game might offer them opportunities they dont have with gw2 rn tho i wouldnt hold a candle for that.

@zealex.9410 said:

@"Lottie.5370" said:Once GW2 is "finished" or has stopped being updated with any "proper" new content, then it may be a good time for a sequel - but in my opinion it's not there yet.

But isnt that how it works in general? A sequel doesnt make sense until it does, in this case it would make sense for it when the devs decide they dont want to keep milking gw2 therefor putting it on maintenance.

For what is worth im on the same boat, imo this game has at least another expansion's worth of content to put out.

Sure, but all I meant was that a sequel doesn't make sense right now with the current state of the game - I think the devs are still working hard to bring new experiences into the game and trying to keep things "fresh".

@Lottie.5370 said:

@Lottie.5370 said:Once GW2 is "finished" or has stopped being updated with any "proper" new content, then it may be a good time for a sequel - but in my opinion it's not there yet.

Sure, but all I meant was that a sequel doesn't make sense right now with the current state of the game - I think the devs are still working hard to bring new experiences into the game and trying to keep things "fresh".

It would be unwise after all the "hype" they tried to built around the saga.

They are not even capable of making a new expansions because that's far more expensive than shipping out a LS every 3-4 months (idc about semantics between LS and Saga - it's the same thing). Some very entitled software developers have spoken up in this forum weeks ago and justified that expansions cost way more than this LS model. So, a GW3 would be more than an expansion, it would mean many things have to be developed from the scratch resulting in a huge financial investment Arenanet - or better said: NCSoft - has to make beforehand. It would be several times more the effort and the money than they are now investing into GW2.GW3 at this point of time? NO fricking way ever. Never. Not going to happen, unrealistic as hell.

I just saw this opinion on YouTube and it got me wondering: "Would I even spend more time finishing the Legendary I'm working toward or any of the other medium/long-term goals I have in the works?"

I know I wouldn't buy any more Gems for outfits, skins, or other BL goodies.

I would probably sell most of my non-bound items to raise gold and buy those things I may want to run around with for a short amount of time.

But that's just me.

Any GW3 most likely won't be a PC MMORPG continuation of GW2. It'd be far more realistic to keep GW2 running as long as possible and have that GW3 not compete directly with it. So it'd have to be either a mobile game, or a different genre.

So... If you think it's time for the next part of the GW2 story, better hope for another expac, I'd say.

@Vinceman.4572 said:They are not even capable of making a new expansions because that's far more expensive than shipping out a LS every 3-4 months (idc about semantics between LS and Saga - it's the same thing). Some very entitled software developers have spoken up in this forum weeks ago and justified that expansions cost way more than this LS model. So, a GW3 would be more than an expansion, it would mean many things have to be developed from the scratch resulting in a huge financial investment Arenanet - or better said: NCSoft - has to make beforehand. It would be several times more the effort and the money than they are now investing into GW2.GW3 at this point of time? NO fricking way ever. Never. Not going to happen, unrealistic as hell.

I think ncsoft treats diff a brand new game versus an existing one or an installment but thats w/e at this point.

@Fenella.2634 said:Any GW3 most likely won't be a PC MMORPG continuation of GW2. It'd be far more realistic to keep GW2 running as long as possible and have that GW3 not compete directly with it. So it'd have to be either a mobile game, or a different genre.

So... If you think it's time for the next part of the GW2 story, better hope for another expac, I'd say.

According to recent statistics, PC sales (especially laptops), are back on the rise. Mobile gaming is mostly a failure except for cheap clickers and such and many mobile games of the caliber, including what was presumably a sequel, remake or sister game to GW2 (no confirmation here from ArenaNet , but a ton of evidence points towards it), have either failed or been cancelled because phones aren't good for it, while other devices like tablets continue to get bigger and more powerful, slowly reversing the previous trend of getting smaller and less powerful.

Basically people realised that computers were good for things afterall. Consoles are another story..

I dont think it's time now, but I do think that time is much more rapidly approaching than I would like. Mostly, because of the stupendously slow content release schedules we veterans from 2012, and others who have joined since then, have endured.

I've pumped my fair share of money into this game, many, many times more than what I spent on the base games or even the physical collectors edition added. To this day, I have yet to see an acceptable rate of adding content. For the first time since shortly after launch I'm taking longer and longer breaks from a game I have enjoyed for almost 10 years now. All because ain't nothing happening. The festivals are just a "flip the switch" deal and offer a few new skins every year, but no updates beyond that and I'm not sure we'll see anything new involving the Saga until after New Years.

On the other hand, you can predictably say that every tuesday the store gets updated.

It's very frustrating.

@Hannelore.8153 said:

@Fenella.2634 said:Any GW3 most likely won't be a PC MMORPG continuation of GW2. It'd be far more realistic to keep GW2 running as long as possible and have that GW3 not compete directly with it. So it'd have to be either a mobile game, or a different genre.

According to recent statistics, PC sales (especially laptops), are back on the rise. Mobile gaming is mostly a failure except for cheap clickers and such and many mobile games of the caliber, including what was presumably a sequel, remake or sister game to GW2 (no confirmation here from ArenaNet , but a ton of evidence points towards it), have either failed or been cancelled because phones aren't good for it, while other devices like tablets continue to get bigger and more powerful, slowly reversing the previous trend of getting smaller and less powerful.

Basically people realised that computers were good for things afterall. Consoles are another story..Sure, but GW2 is ANets only money-making game ATM. They would be really stupid if they set up their next big game in the exact same niche, competing for costumers with themselves. In the worst case they'd hurt GW2 badly and still can't make GW3 profitable.Making GW3 not a direct competitor is way safer.

@Fenella.2634 said:

Basically people realised that computers were good for things afterall. Consoles are another story..Sure, but GW2 is ANets only money-making game ATM. They would be really stupid if they set up their next big game in the exact same niche, competing for costumers with themselves. In the worst case they'd hurt GW2 badly and still can't make GW3 profitable.Making GW3 not a direct competitor is way safer.

Depends, that is if a new game directly competes with gw2, id compaire this with w9w retail and wow classic, they both exist and take some resources but both have their own audiences.

We could see a similar case with gw2 and gw3 or simply we could see gw3 happen after the main plot of gw2 has concluded.

@Fenella.2634 said:

That's why I was implying it would work well as a console game.

@zealex.9410 said:Depends for me if they did hom 2.0

You know, I thought about that but I'm not sure that they would be able to pull it off in this game. The previous system had a lot to do with title rankings and rep, and so far there has never been a title that you can get for having x amount of other titles behind your belt across all aspects of the game. The End-All-And-Be-All is one that asks you to get other titles, but from/for a very specific location (SW).