Biology of Asura

Tekoneiric.6817

As someone who has an interest in writing I'm curious about the biology of Asura. I haven't seen much lore on their biology. I assume they are mammals since they are very energetic pretty much all the time. Do they reproduce like most mammals or do they lay eggs or egg like pods.

It's obvious they don't feed their young like normal mammals; are they marsupials, do they regurgitate their food for their young or are their young able to consume food at birth. I can't recall ever seeing asura children running around. I think Taimi is one of the youngest ones I've seen aside from the ones at the training academy.

Being historically underground dwellers I assume their native food is grubs, moss and whatever food stuff grows underground. It's obvious from their hands that they are diggers by nature. Is there much information about the aura's biology?

@Last Crysis.1934 said:I think they are turtles without shells, so i like to think they lay eggs. The are smarter than all the other races and them being cold blooded monsters might explain that.

I'd think they are too energetic all the time to be reptiles. Reptiles spend much of their time waiting to do something so they can conserve energy. Plus they handle cold weather well enough.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can post better information, but I recall somewhere that Anet stated that asura reproduce like humans. They do not lay eggs. The fact that they have a belly button seems to reinforce this.

I hadn't noticed that. I only have asura female characters and they hardly display their waist.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@"Endless Soul.5178" said:I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can post better information, but I recall somewhere that Anet stated that asura reproduce like humans. They do not lay eggs. The fact that they have a belly button seems to reinforce this.

I hadn't noticed that. I only have asura female characters and they hardly display their waist.

If you have the Outlaw Outfit, have one of your characters wear it, you'll see a belly button. Or visit the Outlaw Outfit Wiki Page to see it.

Excelsior.

The size of the ears and forehead is basically what cleavage is for heterosexual Bookahs. The bigger the better and that might help to find partners for mating. I don't think that would matter if they would lay eggs because you don't have much interaction with the other gender, and the size of the female's ears and/or forehead does not matter for the eggs.

Also, the lore and idea about the Asura changed during development as revealed in a 2011 interview, and their physiology did also change a lot with that course of development. It took them a while to be the master race like what we have right now.

@"Tekoneiric.6817" said:As someone who has an interest in writing I'm curious about the biology of Asura. I haven't seen much lore on their biology. I assume they are mammals since they are very energetic pretty much all the time. Do they reproduce like most mammals or do they lay eggs or egg like pods.

It's obvious they don't feed their young like normal mammals; are they marsupials, do they regurgitate their food for their young or are their young able to consume food at birth. I can't recall ever seeing asura children running around. I think Taimi is one of the youngest ones I've seen aside from the ones at the training academy.

Being historically underground dwellers I assume their native food is grubs, moss and whatever food stuff grows underground. It's obvious from their hands that they are diggers by nature. Is there much information about the aura's biology?

They give live birth, and for food, they're omnivores and before surfacing they ate very tough mushrooms mainly (hence the sharp teeth) among other native animals.

There are dozens of children in Soreen Draa and the Hinterlabs in Metrica Province, there's even a pre-college school with a number of events and a heart around it. There is even a tiny progeny which is smaller than any mini pet. Practically an ant tbh.

A fun fact is that ear size as well as cranium size are treated as physically pleasing assets to other asura. Treated as a PG-friendly equivalent to large cleavage or being packed downstairs for men.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@"Tekoneiric.6817" said:As someone who has an interest in writing I'm curious about the biology of Asura. I haven't seen much lore on their biology. I assume they are mammals since they are very energetic pretty much all the time. Do they reproduce like most mammals or do they lay eggs or egg like pods.

They give live birth, and for food, they're omnivores and before surfacing they ate very tough mushrooms mainly (hence the sharp teeth) among other native animals.

There are dozens of children in Soreen Draa and the Hinterlabs in Metrica Province, there's even
with a number of events and a heart around it. There is even a
which is smaller than
any
mini pet. Practically an ant tbh.

A fun fact is that ear size as well as cranium size are treated as physically pleasing assets to other asura. Treated as a PG-friendly equivalent to large cleavage or being packed downstairs for men.

There are also some interesting progeny in Mrot Boru in Brisbane Wildlands. I assume they have some kind of anti-gravity toys because they run around chasing each other and making unbelievable high jumps and falls.

• 1 year later...

oookay,Asura: have teeth perfect for entomophagy (not so much mushrooms). Why the writers went with the mushroom road - no idea. Maybe they were scared by the yuck-factor. But it is a stupid road and here is why:

Species living underground are usually small with a low metabolism. Because underground is a very nutrient and energy poor environment. Asura SHOULD have tiny brains - and their offspring actually do have tiny, tiny brains, which only grow later. Insects are pretty good sources for protein and energy (unlike mushrooms). So again, Asura mushroom eaters? Does not make sense. A brain is exctremely energy hungry, so a big brain makes no evolutionary sense in a species living underground eating mushrooms. Mushrooms are a diet which demands a lot of metabolic investment - which leads to the conumdrum that if you eat them and actually use the nutrients in them well, you don't have the energy left to think. Real world example: sloth's and koalas. Koalas' diet consists of toxic, hard to digest and very energy poor leafs. They adapted to the diet. Their metabolism is pretty slow AND their brains are tiny compared to their size, very simple in structure resulting inkoala's being pretty much the dumbest mammals around. Sloth's do not fare much better. Leaf eating, tiny brain, slow metabolism, dumb. It is a matter of debate which species is actually dumber. But whichever it is, it would be the dumbest of all mammals - there might be fish smarter than them.

But back to Tyria:The skritt make a lot more sense as an undergroud species. Small brains, omnivorous scavengers. And there might also be where the evolutionary pressure for the asura came from. The skritt worked around the small brain problem with their hive-mind like intellect. Asura answered by growing their brains to compete. But again, there should not have been enough FOOD for them to evolve.

And don't start with technology. You need the brain first.

So, asura are mammals with a high metabolism and big brains that really really should not exist. Unless their brains run on magic. Without magic as deus-ex-machina saving the day, asura could not have evolved as mushroom eating cave dwellers. They might have had a stab as insectivores - but then you need a lot of insects to grow brains to those sizes.

Argh.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:...So, asura are mammals with a high metabolism and big brains that really really should not exist. Unless their brains run on magic. Without magic as deus-ex-machina saving the day, asura could not have evolved as mushroom eating cave dwellers. They might have had a stab as insectivores - but then you need a lot of insects to grow brains to those sizes.

Argh.

Couldn't they have simply changed their diet at some point? Like eating mushrooms -> getting the teeth -> adding whatever meat source they might've come across -> brain development...

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:One thing I've been wondering lately is since there are so many bald Asura; are they all bald and choose to wear wigs as a fashion statement?Imagine if you have ears roughly the size of your head.

Now imagine if you have lush flowing hair constantly moving in and around those ears as you move your head.

But no, they're not all bald. It just doesnt add anything particular to your technological prowess.

And lets not even mention hair + mechanical cogs.

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:As someone who has an interest in writing I'm curious about the biology of Asura. I haven't seen much lore on their biology. I assume they are mammals since they are very energetic pretty much all the time. Do they reproduce like most mammals or do they lay eggs or egg like pods.

Yes. They're made of paperclips, rubber bands, fur, and insatiable curiosity.