[IDEA] EOTM to decide WvW server placement

Mighty Favazz.1546

What if the first 2 hours of reset night were to begin in EOTM and the outcome of that 2 hour match determined your server placement for the week? IE place first, your server is green for the week.Not a big fan of EOTM but I hate to see WvW resources sit unused. Plus I think it might add some variety back into the game-mode.Not sure about the fairness of the map or how pop would play with multiple queued maps. Might need some handicapping to make it fair.Could also see the sea and ocx pops getting butthurt over timing. Probably lots of other issues I'm not thinking about but I'd love to see something change on the mode to change it up a bit.

So you want to turn the best two hours out of the entire week (especially for NA est prime) to get good decent semidecent ok ok the only time you get to find most people on for a fight, into hardcore forced ppting on one map that you can't even earn pip rewards for?

P.S how do you determine who's on what color side to begin? since the colors come from placement in tiers in the first place. Better idea would be just do the placement match on the last eotm match before reset, but then that messes with 1u1d placements, which this entire mess messes with.

@Mighty Favazz.1546 said:It's only ppt if you can't fight?But look, I get it that the first two hours are 'holy' to vets but you're assuming a focused 2 hours can't be engaging?

Not too concerned about 2 hours of no pips. Are you?

I don't care about pips or tickets, I have all the gear I need, but plenty of others do. What I care about is losing the only two hours the game is full anymore where most players including guilds and commanders are on to play. We already had to compromise when they made the dumb decision to move reset to saturday cause it clashed with their precious end of day patching between 8-10pm est on fridays, and then moved it back to friday when we overwhelming told them it was a bad decision, they moved it back and it cost us two hours of enjoyable wvw for that night.

So excuse me while I say hell no to ppting in eotm in those two precious NA est hours after reset.

What? EOTM by design is a "mega server" type map, meaning it just creates another instance when the previous one gets full. It doesn't get queued.Let's say your idea gets implemented. How, then, will we know the placing of servers when the people in a designated color/side are just a bunch of players from different servers than just happen to be of the same color/side?

Yes, tech would need to be in place to make this work. Your server color for prior week could be your starting color for next EOTM matchup or it could be randomized. And there would need to be tech to keep people in their respective colors for the match.And there is some underlying code to support this with the supply in citadel linked to placement.Honestly guys, there’s no reason to debate the tech. Any idea will need supporting tech. I’d prefer to discuss the idea on its merits.

Additionally, I know reset is important, but have you ever asked yourself why it was important?For my server, it used to be about population and fights. Having a singular map ( albeit instanced) should prevent the issue with hopping maps or the inability to do so on reset.The biggest pain point would be the alienation of those who just want to pvp and those who want to pve and being stuck on a map with the wrong groups.I don’t know. I still like the idea. Just need to work out the intricacies.

So you want them to spend time to develop tech to organize players randomly or previously into the three colored sides to start a 2 hour match in order to force players on a map they don't want to play on to hardcore ppt during the most important 2 hour start of a matchup in which most players are playing in order to figure out their color placement for the week in which they'll then have to reset wvw again under the new colors after the 2 hours.

That sound like a reasonable request to waste development time on? time they barely even have to spend on important stuff for regular wvw like alliance system? Or maybe instead of killing off reset night entirely we just let players determine their placement in the week long match as they currently do and as it was intended.

@XenesisII.1540 said:So you want them to spend time to develop tech to organize players randomly or previously into the three colored sides to start a 2 hour match in order to force players on a map they don't want to play on to hardcore ppt during the most important 2 hour start of a matchup in which most players are playing in order to figure out their color placement for the week in which they'll then have to reset wvw again under the new colors after the 2 hours.

That sound like a reasonable request to waste development time on? time they barely even have to spend on important stuff for regular wvw like alliance system? Or maybe instead of killing off reset night entirely we just let players determine their placement in the week long match as they currently do and as it was intended.

Sorry bud. I'm just a guy offering an idea. Didn't know I was expected to know the code and development time that would be needed to support it.Anyway you sound pretty closed-minded. I'll leave you to it.

@Mighty Favazz.1546 said:

@XenesisII.1540 said:So you want them to spend time to develop tech to organize players randomly or previously into the three colored sides to start a 2 hour match in order to force players on a map they don't want to play on to hardcore ppt during the most important 2 hour start of a matchup in which most players are playing in order to figure out their color placement for the week in which they'll then have to reset wvw again under the new colors after the 2 hours.

Sorry bud. I'm just a guy offering an idea. Didn't know I was expected to know the code and development time that would be needed to support it.Anyway you sound pretty closed-minded. I'll leave you to it.

I think they are saying they acknowledge your idea, however they believe its not something of high importance comparing it to other changed needed, however something that may be revisted once other more important items are addressed.

ya know...in their own special way.

You plopped down an idea cause you thought it was "cool" and didn't bother to fleshed it out, without also thinking about the entirety of what it would do to wvw and what it would involve to develop. I stated why it's a bad idea from a players perspective and even a developers perspective. Instead you figured I was concerned about rewards and we all don't have a clue what makes reset important.

If you can't face the tough responses and fill out your idea, how can we take this seriously? Present a good fleshed out idea and I'll support it, present an idea that you can read it's bad before you even finish the first sentence and you'll get a blunt response on why it's bad "in my own special way".

For the love of tim curry just put this damn thing in wvw and close Edge of the mists. Make it replace one of the alpine borderlands, there you go then everyone has a different map and everyone has unique things to do. AND it saves A-net time and resources, Do not make this a way of determining placement use it for more than that because this map is wonderful. (And with mounts and gliders it will be even more wonderful.)