Why doesnt the ranger have any boon rip?

anduriell.6280

is there any reason why ranger doesnt have access to boon rips? I mean the total lack of stability uses the excuse of the longbow (because after the awful nerf to range of the shortbow that weapon is a useless) but what is the one for boon rip?Ranger suffers a lot against boon heavy classes like warrior, revenant, mesmer, guardian, elementalist and engineer. When those classes have 100% protection, resistance and stability uptime the game is a total chore.

And there is no option for the ranger to build so it can remove at least boons from time to time.The rest of the game has at least one trait or skill which remove boons. Every single class has access to boon rip but the ranger and ele

Do we know why?

We do not have any explanation. Do we really need one?But if you look at the history of all professions I think the main reason is that it was something rare during core days (boon spams or corruption/steal). Not that many professions have it in their core kit or in their concept. This idea came in place later and is more important since PoF (like warrior spellbreaker).Maybe in a future e-spec. A corruption ranger or something where the pet steals boons from enemies.

As a jack of all trades, it would be nice to have something. That being said, not every profession needs excessive boon rip. Only thief, rev, mes, necro, war have any sort of meaningful boon rip. Even then, the PVP meta rev doesn't have any, and only spellbreskers have rip for wars.

So you've got, thief steal... which is very powerful and reliable. Necro, obviously. Spell breaker, only for 1v1s really. And mesmer for power.

Engis can run the mine skill, and it's actually quite strong imo, but most don't.

So I don't know if we NEED boon rip more than we need say... Condi clear in another traitline besides WS.

But it's a possibility.

If we did get it, where would it go?Could tie it to opening strike in MMCould throw it into skirmishing on like remove 1 boon after swiftness or quickness gain. But both of those would be marginal and I don't think would offer much.

Or could be from a pet, which I think could be great. I'd love to see more utility pets like boon rip, or a pet that swaps places with you, or a pet that drops a line or ring of warding, or a reflect wall.

Anyway, does ranger NEED boon rip? Not really.... would it be nice? Hell yeah!!

Boon rip sigils are widely used. Many lb/gs users have annulment on one or the other. Many axe users used to use both rip sigils on boonbeast, it was mostly for the mirror match up but did help in some other places too.

That's like asking why whirling defense still only cleaves 3 people when whirling axe hits 5 or why the second hit in the 1H sword chain still only hits one person when both warrior and thief sword cleave on their crippling hits

we have the sigil we can use

Sure, but there's no reason Anet couldn't also go in and take one of our utterly useless in pvp pets and give them a boon rip skill

Maybe take the swiftness off the cheetah F2 and make it steal a boon or two. Actually earn that 30s cooldown.

• 2 weeks later...

@"lare.5129" said:yes, some pet wiht low damage but with boonstrip once per 30 sec can be added. Good idea."Ant Wasp" will be ok )

No need for new pet, make felines to remove some boons in the Bite skill.

It would make a reason to carry such a glassy pets into competitive.

Also as another way to improve felines for competitive: replace the maul with the pounce skill, without the additional effects. So the damage skill is cast automatically.Make the F3 to apply stealth to the pet (as used by the jaguar with the stalk F3 beast skill) and aditionaly apply the secondary effect from the actual beast ability (chill for snow leopard, bleeds from lynx) in the next attack. Jaguar can get the buff to crit and ferocity as now for some seconds.

So felines should be able to keep up with their targets, and F3 becomes an utility which works better. Also the beast mode skill will work better as it would have 2 very differentiated skills: Leap and rip boons.

Ranger already has A lot of unused crap. Rework the exisisting ones, if is easier just replace the old ones. But i would love them to rework core instead adding more over the top not working existing stuff

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"lare.5129" said:yes, some pet wiht low damage but with boonstrip once per 30 sec can be added. Good idea."Ant Wasp" will be ok )

No need for new pet, make felines to remove some boons in the
skill.

Also as another way to improve felines for competitive: replace the maul with the pounce skill, without the additional effects. So the damage skill is cast automatically.Make the F3 to apply stealth to the pet (as used by the jaguar with the stalk F3 beast skill) and aditionaly apply the secondary effect from the actual beast ability (chill for snow leopard, bleeds from lynx) in the next attack. Jaguar can get the buff to crit and ferocity as now for some seconds.

So felines should be able to keep up with their targets, and F3 becomes an utility which works better. Also the beast mode skill will work better as it would have 2 very differentiated skills: Leap and rip boons.

Ranger already has A lot of unused kitten. Rework the exisisting ones, if is easier just replace the old ones. But i would love them to rework core instead adding more over the top not working existing stuff

Stalk from Jaguar should give invisibility to Soulbeast when he is in beast mode.Savannah Strike from Cheetah should Shadowstep Soulbeast when he is in beast mode.And there are many skills from pets who can be transferred to Soulbeast when he is going in beast mode.

@Dragonzhunter.8506 said:

No need for new pet, make felines to remove some boons in the
skill.

Ranger already has A lot of unused kitten. Rework the exisisting ones, if is easier just replace the old ones. But i would love them to rework core instead adding more over the top not working existing stuff

Stalk from Jaguar should give invisibility to Soulbeast when he is in beast mode.Savannah Strike from Cheetah should Shadowstep Soulbeast when he is in beast mode.And there are many skills from pets who can be transferred to Soulbeast when he is going in beast mode.

Um that would casue rivers in the PvP forums. Soulbeast doesn't need that power creep and i like to have a reason to use the pets. So i don't agree witht that idea.

What we need to have some access to stealth other than LB#3 is an elite smoke trap and maybe one ranger pet . So we don't depend so strongly in the smokescale. Not that there is any better pet for PvP/WvW.