Let's Talk About Build Templates

Buil templates are here after asking for them since day 1 and I must say, I am very very disappointed with how Anet handled them. To start, we get effectly 2 per character (since traits rarely stay the same when gear does) which sure, It's nice... kind of. A lot of people can get away with having just 2 templates, but once you start getting into people who have access to legendary gear or people who have already cashed out on inventory expansion to run extra builds (aka the not overly casual people) it starts putting up red flags. Where the game is a target for more of a casual experience, it still is extremely questionable to completely neglect, or cash in on in this case, the loyal players who have stuck around, who have already given you money to play how they want. When buying a new character slot is a better investment if you want to run more builds, you have an issue with how the monetizing of this works. Especially since this is something that third party downloads have done much better for years. Hopefully they will listen, but considering how well legendary runes and sigils went, I have doubts this system will change

The feedback thread says:

@Stephane Lo Presti.7258 said:Note that this thread is not meant primarily as a discussion but is for gathering feedback.

So we do need a place to discuss that isn't there as not to clutter their feedback.

I'm hoping someone can clarify an issue for me, as I've never really used templates or builds while playing (filthy PvE casual here).In the past, the game would automatically switch your build and skillset when you entered/exited a game mode. After this update, the game no longer appears to do this which, to me, translates to:

We weren't actually given three free build templates, they simply took away the automatically-switching PvE/WvW/PvP templates that were already in the game for those modes and now you have to switch them manually.

Do I have that right? If so, this update has actually made playing different modes more annoying in addition to the nightmares I've been hearing regarding unbound legendary gear and lost skins/duplicated infusions. While a lot of that stuff might be bugs that can be fixed, is the 'no more automatic game mode build switching' thing intended to be permanent?

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

I'm hoping someone can clarify an issue for me, as I've never really used templates or builds while playing (filthy PvE casual here).In the past, the game would automatically switch your build and skillset when you entered/exited a game mode. After this update, the game no longer appears to do this which, to me, translates to:

We weren't actually given three free build templates, they simply took away the automatically-switching PvE/WvW/PvP templates that were already in the game for those modes and now you have to switch them manually.

Do I have that right?

Yes, it looks to be that you do. I can confirm the no auto-switch in WvW. Also, if one of the three builds on my Necromancer was supposedly my WvW build, it was not transferred properly, either.

If so, this update has actually made playing different modes more annoying in addition to the nightmares I've been hearing regarding unbound legendary gear and lost skins/duplicated infusions.

I can't disagree.

While a lot of that stuff might be bugs that can be fixed, is the 'no more automatic game mode build switching' thing intended to be permanent?

I see no option currently for players to designate a game mode for a build. If ANet wants to permit people to use Character Build Templates in multiple modes, they would need to provide a way for players to designate one, and apply the old auto-mode-switch to that choice. At this point, it's probably too soon for ANet to respond either by a post about this (as if) or by making a change. So, assume it will be permanent until you hear otherwise. I find it's better to be pessimistic, that way any surprises would be good ones.

• ArenaNet Staff

I'm closing this thread and redirecting everyone who wants to give feedback about Templates to that thread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/91126/official-feedback-thread-about-build-and-equipment-templates

Feedback (positive or negative) goes in that thread. There are other threads discussing other aspects of the feature. We're just trying to make sure that the forums doesn't get overloaded with a lot of threads about the same topic.