By what percentage did Build Templates improve your PvP experience?

Ysmir.4986

It is annoying that we can't include runes, sigils, amulets and weapons into the templates. But at least the traits work, and that is nice. I write the runes etc. in the description of the build, gotta be creative since you can only use a limited amount of letters, but I can live with that... until there's a fix. I don't WvW or PvE so I don't care about switching builds between those game modes with the templates personally.

It took me a long time to realize my pvp build was on the template already and I could switch The first match was horrid with my pve build on. I might as well been playing on a level 1 toon in Arah. I then proceeded to ruin my pve-wvw build "fixing" it so I could pvp. Sorry, I don't remember my builds, mostly because created them through trial and error and I didn't have to. So then I had to recreate the pve-wvw one. It made me very angry. Sure now I got it straight and know, but that should have been clear from the get-go. It was even more annoying that now I have to either remain idle while in pvp queue or remember to switch, which I probably won't always remember to do so.

I am disappointed in the way the system came out, and hate that anet broke the auto swapping system. I guess people who play multiple game mode got precisely nothing. Anet just "gave" us what we already had, but in a less user friendly form. Soooooo ANET! In my mind your old nickname name A**net is back

The system works great for pvp. People just need to get used to it.

You can build swap at the literal last second with this system. It allows you to juke class counters and team comp counters that people think they've created against you, in ways that you could not do before. It also allows you to feint by swapping to a different build at the literal last second. Of course this doesn't change too much with class/character swapping, but for staying on the same character/class, it does wonders to equalize the rock/paper/scissors of swapping.

A full team comp can now very quickly alter their composition before a match starts at again, the last second. This really does provide a lot of counter comp play opportunity for under dog teams. Before build/gear templates, it was unrealistic for a team to discuss and change up even half of a team comp without taking much risk within a 1 minute time frame to do so. Lots of times a player may be too slow to change the build, which results in a match starting before a player completes the swap and the build is messed up. Sometimes that time strain just results in the player not taking the risk to swap when he should have. Other times, the player goes to log back in on a class that would be better to play for the match, but forgot that he had recently been in PvE and had the wrong weapon sets on, or was testing a strange build last he was on the character and forgot to change it back. <- That kind of stuff just results in a disappointing, awkward, unfun match. These build/gear templates greatly help to eliminate the hassle in all of this, because it takes at most 2 seconds to press key binds to load "Build 2" and "Gear 2", and then maybe at most 10 to 15 seconds to open the helmet icon and change sigils/rune/amulet IF those even need to be changed at all. At most you're looking at a 20s fix for even grossly botched swap issues as compared to some 60s+ fix that may result in a match starting before the build/gear was setup correctly.

Example:

• I load into a match as a Herald. I notice I had no FB with me. The other team has 2 Condi Mirages and a Condi Daredevil.
  • I take a second to size up who the Condi Mirages & Condi Daredevil are, and if it would be worth it for me to swap off my main as a Herald and log in as a FB Support for my team, which I don't perform on quite as well as I do Herald. This takes a good 15s+ to right click view account names on my team and the other team, to appropriately size up the situation.
  • I decide it would be a good idea to swap to the Support FB.
  • By the time I load out to the character screen, select my Guardian and load back into the mists and then back into the match, another 10s+ has passed. For some of us on less powerful PCs/Laptops, this can take a good 30s+ before even getting back into the match.
  • I load into the match and immediately panic when I look at my utility bar and the longbow that my Guardian is wearing. I remember that the night before, I was memeing on a full trap Dragonhunter in unranked with my friends. Now I have 50s or less "depending on PC speed" to swap the entire build structure to a Support FB, which I don't main often enough to distinctly and perfectly remember things like "112" "323" "213" on sight so, I actually have to take the time to quickly read the traits before selecting them, to make sure I am setting a proper build.
  • I am almost done setting the build up, but just as I go to swap the weapons, I run out of time. I can either play the match with a botched FB build wielding the wrong weapons including a longbow that I can't even use, or quickly log out and back in as the Herald at the last second, so I can get countered all match by 3x condi builds and no FB on my team. Regardless of the choice made, it's going to be bad game for me.

^ Build/Gear templates make fixing a botch like this realistic with little pressure attached.

it's kinda shitty right now, with pve and pvp builds no longer being separate, but it should be fantastic once that gets fixed.

If you play both PvE and PvP, it's annoying far more often than it is useful, but when it is useful it's useful by a much greater magnitude, so it's still an overall positive, but not by that much.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:The system works great for pvp. People just need to get used to it.

You can build swap at the literal last second with this system. It allows you to juke class counters and team comp counters that people think they've created against you, in ways that you could not do before. It also allows you to feint by swapping to a different build at the literal last second. Of course this doesn't change too much with class/character swapping, but for staying on the same character/class, it does wonders to equalize the rock/paper/scissors of swapping.

A full team comp can now very quickly alter their composition before a match starts at again, the last second. This really does provide a lot of counter comp play opportunity for under dog teams. Before build/gear templates, it was unrealistic for a team to discuss and change up even half of a team comp without taking much risk within a 1 minute time frame to do so. Lots of times a player may be too slow to change the build, which results in a match starting before a player completes the swap and the build is messed up. Sometimes that time strain just results in the player not taking the risk to swap when he should have. Other times, the player goes to log back in on a class that would be better to play for the match, but forgot that he had recently been in PvE and had the wrong weapon sets on, or was testing a strange build last he was on the character and forgot to change it back. <- That kind of stuff just results in a disappointing, awkward, unfun match. These build/gear templates greatly help to eliminate the hassle in all of this, because it takes at most 2 seconds to press key binds to load "Build 2" and "Gear 2", and then maybe at most 10 to 15 seconds to open the helmet icon and change sigils/rune/amulet IF those even need to be changed at all. At most you're looking at a 20s fix for even grossly botched swap issues as compared to some 60s+ fix that may result in a match starting before the build/gear was setup correctly.

Example:

• I load into a match as a Herald. I notice I had no FB with me. The other team has 2 Condi Mirages and a Condi Daredevil.
  • I take a second to size up who the Condi Mirages & Condi Daredevil are, and if it would be worth it for me to swap off my main as a Herald and log in as a FB Support for my team, which I don't perform on quite as well as I do Herald. This takes a good 15s+ to right click view account names on my team and the other team, to appropriately size up the situation.
  • By the time I load out to the character screen, select my Guardian and load back into the mists and then back into the match, another 10s+ has passed. For some of us on less powerful PCs/Laptops, this can take a good 30s+ before even getting back into the match.
  • I load into the match and immediately panic when I look at my utility bar and the longbow that my Guardian is wearing. I remember that the night before, I was memeing on a full trap Dragonhunter in unranked with my friends. Now I have 50s or less "depending on PC speed" to swap the entire build structure to a Support FB, which I don't main often enough to distinctly and perfectly remember things like "112" "323" "213" on sight so, I actually have to take the time to quickly read the traits before selecting them, to make sure I am setting a proper build.
  • I am almost done setting the build up, but just as I go to swap the weapons, I run out of time. I can either play the match with a botched FB build wielding the wrong weapons including a longbow that I can't even use, or quickly log out and back in as the Herald at the last second, so I can get countered all match by 3x condi builds and no FB on my team. Regardless of the choice made, it's going to be bad game for me.

^ Build/Gear templates make fixing a botch like this realistic with little pressure attached.

But I think the fact that people do this isn't great for the state of pvp... You often see top tier players using this to game the MMR. Like duo queue as necro then swapping last second to holo for an easy match-up. Also, if your Guard had 3 separate wrong builds, it wouldn't matter how fast you could swap traits, you'd still have the wrong build. This seems like such an outlier of a situation... I think if pvp was in a better state you wouldn't have to come up with solutions like this but that's me /shrug.

I REALLY wish that the Build and Equipment templates for SPvP were like pre-patch were your saved build was completely different than your PvE and WvW build. So that I could theoretically have 6x PvE and 6x WvW builds saved for when I entered those game modes and 6x SPvP builds saved when I enter that game mode. Right now the fact that I'm going to have to save a build just for SPvP on all of my different characters and that's actively taking away from the PvE builds I could be saving, and the WvW builds I could be saving, is giving me conniptions.

-5% I swapped classes last minute and of course the build had been changed on that class to something completely useless and it was too late to swap back so I lost the first game. Also the queue is more bugged than it has ever been.

I have already said I won't be buying build templates either, I won't support such monetisation and will not be spending any more money on the game because of it. I might have accepted a one off fee for unlimited use but that ain't gonna happen.

Good if I never leave the Mists, but the removal of separate builds for each game mode and giving us 3 in return essentially makes the game no different for you if you play different aspects of the game, besides adding the action of manually switching to a build you made for a different game mode.

I think I’ve been too harsh on the new changes though, it’s better for people who take a long time to load or decide to switch to something vastly different on the same class at the last moment before the game starts; a character switch is not needed.

It does make sense for the player who makes separate characters for the different game modes, but what that signifies is Gem investment in character slots.

@Roquen.5406 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:The system works great for pvp. People just need to get used to it.

Example:

But I think the fact that people do this isn't great for the state of pvp... You often see top tier players using this to game the MMR. Like duo queue as necro then swapping last second to holo for an easy match-up. Also, if your Guard had 3 separate wrong builds, it wouldn't matter how fast you could swap traits, you'd still have the wrong build. This seems like such an outlier of a situation... I think if pvp was in a better state you wouldn't have to come up with solutions like this but that's me /shrug.

You're totally right imo. This is like a band-aid solution to the class swap metagame that all the top players play. At its best all it does is increase your chances that the people playing rock, paper, scissors, counter-pick on your team will actually have their build ready in time, and you won't be playing at a disadvantage all game.

But of course that's all it does is slightly raise the chance. Couple the fact that the advantage people are getting is down to party size and load times and it's easy to see this isn't enough to even begin to solve the issue.

Anyway, I don't vote because I don't think build templates were intended to be a PvP-centric feature. If it were, then class swapping would have some sort of interface too, and you wouldn't have to reload the map every time. That or class-swapping would be outright disabled, or premades be put into their own separate queues to slightly reduce the advantage class-swapping gives. Basically if something meant to exclusively impact PvP gets released(which probably won't happen) then i'd be more likely to judge it for better or worse. This here is really just some small QoL change that makes little difference.

Example:

Being able to swap builds at will to counter is literally one of the most cancerous things in every single PvP game.

It just becomes the game of who's quicker to change his/her build all the time. Both teams can swap, so enjoy your fun swapping ten times.

That's literally why a lot of games use the pick/lock/ban system.

Overall templates are annoying, but the armoury is lovely.