Possible creepy person, what to do?

Synn.8617

So I've played this game for 7 years, and never encountered the situation I did this morning.I had a random person say hello...that's not unusual... but throughout the whole convo they remained listed as Offline.At first it was general questions about how long I've played, what do I do in the game...Eventually it turned to age...the person focused on 30 being really old...I gave fairly generic responses...eventually they asked my age and I chose not to answer.They didn't message me after that.

So...nothing REALLY wrong about the whole convo, but just a really creepy vibe off of it. I didn't see a category to report that really matched that, so I'm not sure what to do about this. I really feel like this is someone looking for young people online.I took numerous screenshots and got their account name as well.Suggestions?

You should have told him your are a 50 year old 250 pound mountain of muscles with arms like tree trunks and you like to hug people. Alot.

Or you could just block and move on, yes. Being creepy isnt really a crime. You can always send a ticket to Anet about it but I doubt they have any sort of "black mark" logging per character account so it's not really an actionable offense on its own.

It's really hard to say what their intention was from the information given. It could be someone who is genuinely trying to be friendly and make small talk to get to know you, kind of like some people would in real life, or it could be someone fishing for information or flirting.

If it happened to me and it was just a one-off I wouldn't worry about it. Put it down to one odd person trying to be friendly and not worry about it. If it keeps happening then it could be worth both telling them you're not comfortable with all their questions and want them to stop, and reporting them for harassment. (GW2 reports are not automated - they go to Anet to decide what to do, so no one will be punished for an inaccurate report.)

Thanks for your replies...Thinking about it more, there's not really anything to be done. Even if they could flag the account or whatever, the person could just create a new account.And creepy isn't really a crime, that's trueAnd shejesa.3712 I suppose it could come across as snowflakish, sure... but I'm not really concerned for myself. I can manage just fine. It's others that could be victimized that is more of a concern.

Definitely creepy, although I find any attempt at gaining personal information about another player to be creepy, immensly so if it's coming from a random you don't even know.

Hopefully someone from Anet will see this thread and contact you directly if it's deemed appropriate.Aside from that, just block and move on.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:also, some people sound creepy because english is just not their first (or even second/third) languages and what sounds fine to them, might creep you out.

Being shown as offline can be caused by two things: setting or server issue. Nothing unusual there.

As far as I've seen, they're probably just as creepy in their own language..... possibly more so.

As for being a crime...... in the world of PC and being professionally offended, how is it not a crime. If the OP claimed to be a women, it would had escalated to a witch hunt in seconds.

@"Synn.8617" said:Suggestions?

You can always send your "evidence" to the support via the link at the top of the page. However, without real evidence, I doubt they will take any action against the person as he/she hasn't done anything inappropriate yet. There is nothing that would justify any legal action at this point, but you can still try.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:

You can always send your "evidence" to the support via the link at the top of the page. However, without real evidence, I doubt they will take any action against the person as he/she hasn't done anything inappropriate yet. There is nothing that would justify any legal action at this point, but you can still try.

ANet can always contact the proper authorities if they deem it prudent in the situation.OP is not responsible for the need to provide "real evidence", that's what authorities like the police are for.

@Synn.8617 If you think there's a chance that you are correct, send a ticket and your screenshots to ANet. You may be right but be very clear that what you're reporting is a suspicion and nothing more. They can investigate, and make the decision about further action.It's not our job as citizens to make the decision about something like this.