[merged] Suggestions about Guild Wars 2 Templates

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love them to change account bound items (those that don't soul bind like legendaries, ascended, and some exotics) to go into an Account Based Item Storage as an unlock (vs an item). Then they could make the equipment templates account based (and true templates vs an actual equipment set that changes as you change items). Then allow users to fill out a template with items from the Account Based Item Storage, adding the infusions and runes to the storage permanently, and use those added infusion/runes for all templates. This would make legendary and ascended even more desirable, and cleanup up alot of the issues related to the equipment "templates" as they are currently implemented.

If the equipment templates where like above, I would actually see a value in them, compared to now they loose alot of value from changing as I change gear on the fly and not be shared across accounts.

Suggestions:

remove the auto-eject of upgrades from legendary gear (that means we will need the same amount of upgrades as before the patch, but that's 100% fine)

make loadouts actual templates (with a load option) for both, builds and equipment

link equipment templates to build templates (character-bound)

increase the number of slots in the build template storage

add an equipment template storage

make loadout tab unlocks accountwide

double the maximum number of loadout tabs

I already posted in the general feedback thread, but I hope it's worth adding this here as well:

My first/main suggestion goes along with making a clearer differentiation between templates & loadouts by adding an 'active' build on which all (manual) changes are applied. I think this can't just solve issues of not being able to make small changes to build without auto-saving them, but can also be used to re-introduce auto-loadouts for different game modes and maybe even make sharing of equipment between characters a bit easier.

Adding an 'active' build

The way build & equipment templates were introduced now they completely replace the previous way of selecting skills & equipment.I want to suggest a sort of intermediate process, in which each character has one 'active' build (and equipment state), which - like before introduction of templates - is affected by any (manual) changes made to skills & traits. The templates can then work the same as they do now, with the exception that clicking / changing anything on a template doesn't automatically apply the template to the active build. This applying of a template is instead done by an additional button (or the already implemented key-binds), an additional option of 'save current active build to template' would be nice, but isn't even necessary.Additional option the active build can be saved separately for each game mode, like it was before templates. (This essentially means that people who use only one build for a given game mode don't need to save it as a template, but if they want to quickly change between two builds within one game mode, they'll need to save both as a template)

The same process can probably also be applied to equipment, but with some caveats. While it was stated that the devs didn't want to touch inventory code for the templates, I think this mostly applies to taking items out of inventory (since auto-placing stuff into inventory happens all the time with when equipping new equipment or just autoloot). This means that if we have items stored/saved in the current equipment templates, we'd need to add an 'active' slot of actually equipped items. These items can then be exchanged manually from inventory: now the game needs to check if the replaced item (currently located in 'active equipped' is also part of any template (in which case it will got into that 'slot') or not (in which case it goes into inventory, using the same process as ever / before templates).This should make quickly changing weapons easy, but won't change the saved templates (and the weapons of the saved templates do NOT go into inventory). People who want to share items between characters can then take a set character-bound armor and save it a template, then manually replace it with items from shared inventory/bank. Once they want to move it back, they just need to load the saved template, which will pop all non-saved but equipped items back into inventory (from where they can be moved to / accessed by other characters).

Alternative without 'active' buildsI know that my main suggestion is quite a bit of an addition to the current implementation of the templates.My main issue with the current implementation is that builds are not linked to game modes anymore. One hopefully easy way to solve this is allow (manual) linking a given template with a game mode. Then this template will be auto-loaded when entering the associated game mode. (I imagine this a right-click option: where it now says copy /paste /... template; just add the options: Set as default for PvE / PvP / WvW)

I have the following suggestions:

1. It seems to me the build templates are incomplete. You cannot have a build that means something unless it contains both the skills, trait and full equipment specifications. While there is nothing wrong I have seen with skills and traits part of the template it needs to specify the equipment, weapons, infusions, sigils and runes as well. Otherwise it really isn't as useful as it should be, and is clumsy to use. The GW2Skills site is a great example of implementing what I think a build template should be. Combining this with a chat code would be great. The idea of separate build and storage templates per character is a mistake. The per-character Equipment and Build templates should be merged to one template and the Build and Equipment tabs should merely be different views of the same template.

2. Once equipment is bound to the template it becomes a loadout. That loadout can be stored as an instance of the unified build template on a per character basis. The loadout should include a reference to the original template so that deviations from the template are noted. Changes to the template during creation of the loadout should be supported. A new template should be able to be created from the loadout and storeable in the account template library.

3. Automatic loading of equipment and build on changing game should be a simple optional setting.

@"Glass Hand.7306" said:I have the following suggestions:

1. It seems to me the build templates are incomplete. You cannot have a build that means something unless it contains both the skills, trait and full equipment specifications. While there is nothing wrong I have seen with skills and traits part of the template it needs to specify the equipment, weapons, infusions, sigils and runes as well. Otherwise it really isn't as useful as it should be, and is clumsy to use. The GW2Skills site is a great example of implementing what I think a build template should be. Combining this with a chat code would be great. The idea of separate build and storage templates per character is a mistake. The per-character Equipment and Build templates should be merged to one template and the Build and Equipment tabs should merely be different views of the same template.

I agree that being able to associate a build template with an equipment template would be ideal. For example, I have an equipment template for my daredevil that uses a staff, and an equipment template for deadeye that uses a rifle,. Each of those equipment templates demands a different build template, so I end up changing in both places.

1. Once equipment is bound to the template it becomes a loadout. That loadout can be stored as an instance of the unified build template on a per character basis. The loadout should include a reference to the original template so that deviations from the template are noted. Changes to the template during creation of the loadout should be supported. A new template should be able to be created from the loadout and storeable in the account template library.

This seems similar to what the previous poster proposed and again I agree that having a single current build that reads from build templates would be better so that changes made aren’t retained unless intentionally chosen to.

1. Automatic loading of equipment and build on changing game should be a simple optional setting.

Maybe a drop down on the build template to have the option to associate it to a equipment template?

Maybe a drop down on the build template to have the option to associate it to a equipment template?

The main thing I am after is that the chat string used to post templates for other players should have complete information on how to create the desired equipment, traits and skills. If that's done by creating a link, that would certainly be better than the current situation. I think a link should be required before posting though. A build is not really a build without the complete picture.

Going to just echo my feedback and change suggestions from the feedback thread and the reasons why aside from just complaining about the price.

TL:DR

Overall I'm nowhere near as down as it as other players. I think it needs a number of tweaks.

1. Implement manual saving for the Build and Equipment templates so that you can make quick minor changes to your build in the moment for certain encounters without having edited the actual template.
  2. Remove the upper limit of the Equipment Template slots in particular.
  3. Separate the PvE, SPvP, and WvW Build and Equipment tabs so that one character can theoretically save 6x PvE Builds Templates, 6x SPvP Build Templates, 6x WvW Build Templates, which will go a huge way towards making gear templates in particular feel far less choking.

My biggest issue right now is that build templates autosave. It's not so much a template so much as it just saves whatever you were last doing. I would greatly prefer if there was a manual save+load button, because I do often find myself tweaking a build by just a utility or two, or a weapon set, and it would be nice to be able to snap things back to the default by reloading the template.

I find myself really wishing I had more Equipment templates in particular. While you can go a a looooong way with just the three starter Templates and keeping the rest in storage (See HERE), I STILL feel like I'm choked on gear templates in particular. I could genuinely use more than 10+ of them. Like for my main I was able to fit Diviner's Chrono, Minstrel's Chrono, Viper's Condition Mirage, Raid DPS Chrono, Labyrinth Farm Mirage, a condition WvW build I was working on. But I couldn't fit any sort of power mesmer for WvW. I couldn't fit a boss killer Staff/Staff mirage for soloing group content. I couldn't fit a scepter boonshare chrono for when I'm doing content like Auric Basin where you're fighting structures and phantasms will never become clones because their AI is bugged on certain structures. And when I play Conquest I have a lot of gear I wear for fun to make myself look different for conquest games whenever the mood strikes me and as it is now with autosave I'd be nice to have a tab to tweak my gear between different cosmetic sets I've made without screwing up one of my actual Equipment Templates that actually matter. Either greatly expand or remove the upper limit on these, or add a storage feature similar to build templates.

I also have to say I do really dislike how we've all lost the free saved builds in WvW and SPvP. I'll always have to dedicate either a built template slot or a storage template going into SPvP and WvW, when before that was saved separately. And WvW is going to need potentially need multiple templates on it's own. I'm personally a bit saddened by that particular loss of convenience and I'll also not looking forward to setting up all my characters for their SPvP builds all over again. I really wish that your full set of SPvP and WvW build templates operated like the old system where they were saved completely separately from your PvE build. So you'd go into WvW and you could customize your six Build Template and Equipment slots completely differently than your PvE templates.

now the fact that I'm going to have to save a build just for SPvP on all of my different characters and that's actively taking away from the PvE builds I could be saving, and the WvW builds I could be saving, is giving me conniptions.

@"PurebladeProductions.4875" said:Prior to the addition of build templates, changing game mode would automatically swap you to another build made in that game mode. While those builds were converted to build templates, the auto-swap functionality no longer exists. Since this functionality is no longer present, options on each build template to automatically be swapped to when entering a specified game mode would be great.

Quick UI mockup using existing icons:

Image of two examples

The first example has the terrestrial and aquatic buttons moved down, and a checkbox for each game mode added above those buttons. Checking a game mode's box would cause the build to automatically be loaded when you change to the corresponding game mode, as well as disable the checkbox on other build templates on that character.

The second example has icons for each game mode in the bar of the template's name instead. The icons would be grayed out by default and become highlighted when selected, with the same functionality as the checkboxes—automatically loading the build when changing to one of the highlighted game modes, and disabling them on other build templates on the same character.

Being able to check/highlight multiple game modes would allow one build to be automatically equipped in, for example, both WvW and PvP without using up two templates for the exact same build. Checking/highlighting none of the boxes/icons would naturally also be an option.

The checkboxes/icons would also allow players to see at a glance in which game modes a build would be automatically equipped.

I don't know how hard it'd be to actually implement, but it'd be great to have this feature return. I just know I'm going to enter WvW with the wrong build at some point and not notice before it's too late...

This X10000000.

Make build template free, unlimited amount of build templates one could have, refund anyone who bought it.

Monetize equipment template only, increase maximum equipment templates to 30 [Drop-down list interface with search bar to easily navigate].

Link build template and equipment template to 1 single keybind so you dont need to press 2 buttons to change build(kinda annoying).

On screen templates table contains lists of build templates and equipment templates for those having over 100 builds for each specific situation for their characters and cant bother to keybind every single of them that you can switch to by manually selecting 2.

Capability of assigning keybinds for weapon skills, healing utility elite skills, profession skills directly onto each of unique build templates, differentiate from template to template making it easier to play multiple classes without having to change keybinds everytime, also each different template should remember the auto-cast on skill in that specific template.

Capability of tagging a specific template that will load automatically when you hop into certain game mode, example a template with pvp tag will always load automatically when you jump into pvp.

When swapping template the notification should be [[[Template [ Name ] Activated]]] intead of what it currently is right now, I dont know what is the point of naming template when you dont know what the kitten you swapped to.

Thats pretty much all Im having problems with right now, I think making the build template free right now is beyond impossible but anyway just want to put my thoughts out there of what it should have been to begin with, hope someone with the power to make a change would read this or as always will be ignored in the forums dark deep abyss when majority of the people are on reddit right now.

personally the worse part of this patch for me is the auto ejecting of sigils and infusions from legendary items.this simply is not a QOL change ,not for me anyway.its lead to me NOT equipping any of my legendary weapons to the equipment 'template' im only using that for armour ( non legendary )

it seems anet dont consider that people like to switch weapons to blast might or give boons before an encounter.if those weapons are 'tied' to another build ,the system extracts all the upgrades.its saddening when peoples only reply is ' buy more templates' when all you want to do is switch ONE weapon from your build.as i said ,its better to just not equip leggy weapons into the template,just have them free in your bags to switch to on the fly depending on the encounter.this is NOT a QOL improvement for me ,its created a problem which anet is trying to sell the solution to.

As a suggestion, it would be nice to mark a build as my 'active entry build' for a given content type, e. g i can tag one of my builds as my spvp entry build, and one as my wvw entry build, one as my fractal, pve etc etc.

The game swaps to the flagged build when you first switch into the given content type from another or when you login. Gives same functionality as we had previously, but now we can manage the build anywhere and extend out to fractals etc.

Utility

1. Assignment of a default build and equipment template per gamemode. I have seen people use their PvE builds in WvW and PvP as well as PvE gear in WvW. This is an outright regression.---> Make Armistice Bastion use WvW build + equipment template by default.
  2. Make good on initial claims that builds/equipment are only switchable in keeps/spawn for WvW. Right now you can switch in the middle of nowhere as long as you are out of combat just as before but without any inconvenience in swapping stats.
  3. Preview before saving an equipment "template" when using legendary items : in its current iteration legendary sigils/runes are the most problematic but the stats resetting every time they're removed annoys a lot of people. This is a regression in essence because before this patch when you unequip it saves the stat used.---> For people using exotics/ascended there is no sigil/rune/infusion autoremoval. It's actually far more time saving to use ascended if you use the same gear except for a weapon difference, for example dual axe warrior swapping to Greatsword or hammer or a scepter+warhorn tempest swapping to staff.
  4. Possibly have a stat combination suggestion or note per build template (not the title of the build) for stats used when saving that template if it isn't possible to link equipment with a build template
  5. Some people want to share their legendary accountbound gear across characters via shared inventory or bank, but I'm not sure how this can be implemented in its current iteration given how unequipping resets all stats and completely blanks a "template" of saved state. Typically legendary armor is used on multiple tabs so the unequipping result of resetting stats is a major headache.
  6. Some people want to share their ascended accountbound gear across characters if they have multiple of each class. Right now it is probably possible if only one template uses that gear via unequipping all to shared inventory , where equipping in shared inventory replaces the item with what was in shared inventory.

Monetization

1. Make equipment templates purchasable in bulk at a discount : 5 , 10, 15 packs (for 1 extra equipment template per class it is 9 already). 500 gems feels a bit like "price anchoring" for sales. If it didn't store gear as inventory bags do I'd imagine the asking price could be far less.
  2. A bank tab has 30 slots and is 600 gems and holds more data since each item has a different stat or type, why is account build storage so high at 500 gems per 3? It is literally just profession + 3 traitlines + utility skills because it doesn't store stat type, weapon or armor used. Even if someone pays 500 gems they would only be able to have 1 stored build per class right now with the three default ones + 3 extra free ones. There's no reason that this is priced that high since you can't hotkey swap this, resulting in the numerous suggestions to use other forms of storage such as Notepad for Windows users or even guild messages...
  3. Allow for more build templates per character. It's been datamined that there's up to 10 so it's definitely in the works. Build templates are probably only priced the way they are due to hotkey swapping , it's not severely faster than loading from a chatcode otherwise.

(More when I think of it.)

When swapping, instead of showing "activating template " (or whatever is says i forgot) make it show the name of the template and merge Build+Equipment so we can swap it with one button!

This in addition to the general feedback you already recieved (cheaper, account wide, more than 6 equipment tabs, etc)

OK, here's a suggestion. It's about process, which is an important part of design. It's also applicable (with some interpretation) for other things going forward as well as for looking at how to adjust templates. If you're contemplating adding/changing a QoL system, have your goal be "improving the game experience for all (or at least most) players."

An initial meeting about an official template system should have started with the following. "OK, so we've been allowing players to use a third party build and equipment template system. Let's look at what that system does and figure out how we can improve the player experience for those players. If we hit that mark, our system is very likely to also improve the game for players who don't use the third party system."

If that was done... well, you missed the mark, badly.

Finally, if you are interested in fixing the system, the idea of improving the overall game experience compared to the status quo from two months ago for the biggest target market for a template system would be a good place to start, also.

It's just a thought.

1) Combine the build and equipments together so that we have full builds that load up everything you need from equipment to traits and utilities in one click.

2) Make PvE, PvP and WvW templates separate from each other somehow so that they automatically load the last used when changing through the maps.

3) Make PvP templates save sigils, runes and everything else fully (see above as well)

4) Add the option for a one off purchase for unlimited use of build templates. I would happily pay a one off fee but will not be purchasing any build templates whatsoever otherwise.

5) Make the amount of build templates you can have to at least 10-15.

6) Rename the options to simple things like loadouts, load template, save template.

7) Add an ability to change templates other than the one currently equipped.

Overall, the design needs to be very similar to the arc templates. It needs to be simple and easy and fast to use, no need to over-complicate things and separate builds from equipment and things. Just easy loadouts that can be loaded up in one click.

The most important thing though is to add a one of payment to build templates for what should be obvious reasons. I would sooner pay the price of an expansion for unlimited use than pay for separate builds in the game. There then needs to be refunds for all previous templates purchased.