How can I switch back to a way to play without templates?

Hi, I was quite happy before these new and better feature template did enter the game.

I have 9 chars that I'm activity playing in PVE, PVP and WvW. I'm using builds that use the same weapons in all three modes. The build are optimize for WvW and (thanks to PVP using not the runes that are in your gear but the one that you declare in PVP) also PVP. It is okay only for PVE, but as long as I'm not playing raid or fractals I did have a blast in all modes.

However since this new feature there is no automagically switching of the skills+traits when change the modes. It is very burdensome to change skill and gear templates when entering a mode. I very often find myself laying on the floor, because I forgot to change it. This is very discouraging in PVP, since this means that I will spend the next 10 minutes just being a burden for my teammates. And other claimed as well that it is happing to them, too.

So, what can I do to have the comfort of automatically changing my skills and traits when changing the modus without any additional mouse clicks, like I did have for the past 7 years?

The simplest solution for now is to make sure your builds are consistent across all characters - .eg. PvP build in the first tab, WvW in the second and PvE in the third - then assign a keybind to each one and get into the habit of pushing that when you load into a new game mode. Since the Heart of the Mists uses your PvP build and WvW always starts you in your base you've got some time before you'll need to attack anything to remember to switch.

It is an extra step, but once it's set up it doesn't need to be a lot to do.

@BadHealer.3608 said:

@BadHealer.3608 said:It is very burdensome to change skill and gear templates when entering a mode.No... it isn't.Right. Because everbody is perfect and always is thinking about that.

You'll get used to it eventually, you'll see. :) And trust me when I say that this should be the least of your worries regarding this new "feature". :/

@"Ashantara.8731" said:You'll get used to it eventually, you'll see. :) And trust me when I say that this should be the least of your worries regarding this new "feature". :/I did fail suddenly out of WvW because of a connections problems on Guild Wars 2 side. When I log in again I was having my WvW-Build on and was in PVE constantly attacked by mobs. Fighting the mobs with my WvW build+gear did take 10 minutes, than I could finally switch to my PVE-gear - that could kill the mobs in 10 seconds. Maybe just laying still and pray for a quick death would be the best option.

So this new feature is great if it wants to increase the time players are frustrated because of the game.

Beside the fact that it is increasing the amount of mouse-clicks you need to do just to play into a INSANE amount. And the idea of this update is that it should reduce the amount of mouse clicks you should need to do.

So, does someone have an idea to change it back the way it was before? I don't care about build templatest or the way ARCDPS did provide it, I just want to play the way I could play for 7 years.

You can't. This is what we do now. We're gonna be like this from now on!

On a serious note, you can also hotkeys. They added build and gear switch hotkeys on your Keybindings tab. I made my Builds Shift+1,2,3 and Gear Ctrl+1,2,3. So now when I enter WvW from PvE, I just press Shift+3 and Ctrl+3 since those are were my WvW builds/gears are.

@borgs.6103 said:You can't. This is what we do now. We're gonna be like this from now on!

On a serious note, you can also hotkeys. They added build and gear switch hotkeys on your Keybindings tab. I made my Builds Shift+1,2,3 and Gear Ctrl+1,2,3. So now when I enter WvW from PvE, I just press Shift+3 and Ctrl+3 since those are were my WvW builds/gears are.

Thanks for the reminder about shift and ctrl for hotkeys. I've been trying to decide where to put shortcuts for these that would be easy to remember (I've got space, but mostly in the middle of the keyboard where it will be hard to remember/find the right keys) and I completely forgot about being able to do that because I normally avoid using modifiers for my keys, seeing it as just adding to the things I'll mess up when trying to push it quickly. But since I don't tend to swap builds often and mainly only when going between game modes this will be a good way to do it.

@"thepenmonster.3621" said:Try to view them as another thing in the hero panel to ignore like the chairs or novelties.I wish I could, but they did disable the automatic change of skills/traits when changing the game mode. So I'm now forced to use this "feature" or I would in a game mode with a completely wrong build - ruining it for everyone.

Instead of hitting the same buttons over and over again, when I change the game mode, I just want to go back to the time when I just could switch the game modes and play.

@BadHealer.3608 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:You'll get used to it eventually, you'll see. :) And trust me when I say that
this
should be the least of your worries regarding this new "feature". :/I did fail suddenly out of WvW because of a connections problems on Guild Wars 2 side. When I log in again I was having my WvW-Build on and was in PVE constantly attacked by mobs. Fighting the mobs with my WvW build+gear did take 10 minutes, than I could finally switch to my PVE-gear - that could kill the mobs in 10 seconds. Maybe just laying still and pray for a quick death would be the best option.

So this new feature is great if it wants to increase the time players are frustrated because of the game.

Beside the fact that it is increasing the amount of mouse-clicks you need to do just to play into a INSANE amount. And the idea of this update is that it should reduce the amount of mouse clicks you should need to do.

So, does someone have an idea to change it back the way it was before? I don't care about build templatest or the way ARCDPS did provide it, I just want to play the way I could play for 7 years.

so that whole scenario is built on the fact that you-A. didn't find a relatively space spot before accepting the WvW queue (and I'm assuming thats the only possible reason you can accomplish that mid-combat).

B. Decided NOT to run from mobs in a low damage build.... which begs the question..... If they were weak enough that you could kill them in such a build, why not run? And if they were strong enough to be a serious threat, and would take no more then 30 seconds to get clear of them (POF aggro range and normal foot speed).... WHY NOT RUN?!?!. (and I'm ignoring the faster disengage of gliding, and the 33% chance you're a Scrapper with stealth gyro already equipped)C. The fact it would take 10 to kill said mob in PvE gear suggests its a Vet or higher, and reinforcing B being the smarter option.D. Even if this is all hypberbolic, the fact that the player base understands a lot of cheesy short cuts to find the shortest path to an immediate goal, and rarely suffers any significant consequences for performing it, you would had to have purposefully made the least desirable decision, and then reaffirmed it several times throughout the 10 min fight, to keep yourself in that struggle. This also indicates you didn't have a serious priority in WvW, since you were already aware that death would had been a faster option, and would get you back in queue a lot quicker.

The Circumstances are unfortunate...... but its not like it couldn't had been mitigated with forethought and/or pragmatism. You went out of you way and doubled down on a struggle that would had been apparent within the first 20 seconds of the engagement, disregarded better options upon that reassessment, , and obviously reduced WvW as a priority in order to follow through on your plan to "not die and avoid taking advantage of the massively convenient Waypoints that would not only get you way from the current danger, but would also prevent a repeat of situation when you popped back into WvW, as 95% of Waypoints are set up as relative safe zones ".