Is it time for Gw3?

zealex.9410

@Healix.5819 said:GW3 is no longer a possibility after NCSoft stepped in and cancelled their future developments. They need to recover, and right now their biggest opportunity is launching on the next-gen consoles.

Yeah. Wrong.

Who's going to code it for consoles from scratch?

Their biggest oppurtunity is an expansion and constant and consistant updates.

@zealex.9410 said:I think ncsoft treats diff a brand new game versus an existing one or an installment but thats w/e at this point.

Do you really think NCSoft's strategy favorizes a new GW3 to this moment after what has happened to Arenanet including their only gem over the last months? Are you really that shortsighted and lacking basic company strategy? How on earth do you think a GW3 will shine at the MMORPG market to this moment of time. To make that happen you would need such a huge investment machinery to overrun every negative feedback and appearance in the past. If for today only a company of the size of Blizzard or anything related would be able to deliver that. Arenanet can't, not even with the backing of NCSoft.Like so often, it feels that you are vastly out of touch about the things around you and the things you mention in your threads.

Personally I would love to see a GW3I feel like there's a huge problem with scarring away new players.The quality of the core game is so far below the quality of everything season 3 onward. New players are still forced to go through core however, and have to endure the lack luster core game then take a massive story leap to either season 2 or HoT.

A sequel requires an enormous quantity of money, a massive hiring spree, years of development, and a gigantic level of risk as to whether the vast quantity of time and money that is spent will recoup itself, let alone make a profit.

Sequels are thus not something that will ever be considered unless there are significant limitations to the existing game.

Since GW2 does not have any of those significant limitations (as evidenced by their ability to add new systems), there is absolutely no business reason for them to even remotely consider a sequel.

@mtpelion.4562 said:A sequel requires an enormous quantity of money, a massive hiring spree, years of development, and a gigantic level of risk as to whether the vast quantity of time and money that is spent will recoup itself, let alone make a profit.

Sequels are thus not something that will ever be considered unless there are significant limitations to the existing game.

Since GW2 does not have any of those significant limitations (as evidenced by their ability to add new systems), there is absolutely no business reason for them to even remotely consider a sequel.

You haven't read on posts of how problematic it is to edit even something like UI...

IMHO naming this game "Guild Wars 2" was something reasonable back when the game was launched, but today it is not. It only serves for "zillions" of topics like this or speculations about something that shouldn't happen. I see GW2 more like a constantly expandable game, with more and more features and regions added with newer updates. Pretty much how it is in Elder Scrolls Online.

If something as a "GW3" could exist, I think it shouldn't be a different game, but a restructuring of this one (mainly in terms of engine, structure and such) known simply as "GW", without version numbers, to it we could move our characters and live to fight another day.

@lokh.2695 said:Oh look at the time, it's time for this thread again.I probably wouldn't follow to a third installment unless I could take a lot of my effort in GW2 with me. I doubt they'll do it honestly. See you again in next weeks GW3 thread.

Well see for me that's the whole point of a new sequel. Not just new immersion with improved game play, visuals and sound but a fresh beginning, everything seen with new eyes, new discoveries, everyone @ ground level, fresh economy , everyone learning at the same time. They could still keep GW2 running, but I am not sure about the costs.

But it's just not going to happen, well at least not for quite a few more years. I would love GW3 and would preorder it in a heartbeat but it wouldn't surprise me if it never happens or at minimum takes 4-5 more years.

Id buy GW2 expansion, not GW3. I kinda just started, don't want to "switch" again.

I'd also buy GW1 content. How to say, a way to replay old GW1 missions within GW2. With current GW2 engine, characters and so on. As some sort of time travel thing (that doesn't change timeline). A port of GW1 story to GW2.

But I'd not buy GW3 at this time. So v1.9 or v2.1, but not v3.0.

• 2 months later...

@Bassdeff.1895 said:If there is work being done on GW3 I'm sure it is in the very very early stages, like working on a new engine.

Pffft... with what we are getting in GW2, you really believe there are resources put in a GW3? Ridiculous. If so, the result won't be any better than GW2, and that's just not good enough to commit to. After seven and a half years, it feels like they are just getting started with some of the good ideas (i.e., what you can do with the engine, how you produce higher quality writing etc) - and that's way too late. Also, ditching some of the best features of GW2 early on (namely branched dialogue with personal story options, and the character personality feature), and the removal of an expansion game model, doesn't help the future of the game, either.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Bassdeff.1895 said:If there is work being done on GW3 I'm sure it is in the very very early stages, like working on a new engine.

Pffft... with what we are getting in GW2, you
really
believe there are resources put in a GW3? Ridiculous. If so, the result won't be any better than GW2, and that's just not good enough to commit to.

GW has been a profitable franchise and GW2 has a limited life expectancy. Do you really think NCsoft is just going to let a profitable franchise die? Anet still has something like 300 employees, that's more than enough to maintain GW2 and have a group working on the future of the franchise.