Time for 3 tiers or just hand pick links

b ranger b.9348

Some of the new links are awful the system does not work. Why many years in to links do we put 2 servers together with all off hour coverage together like jq/hod. One is all sea the other all eu with with massive karma trains from sea to 6pm eastern lol. zergs with frog tonics and ballons rolling paper shouldnt be wvw end game. Just let a vet player that knows all the servers hand pick links at this point would have better balance

And who would you nominate for the honor of making links in place of anet?

You know the entire process is done manually right? it's not automated(that's one of the reasons for making the alliance system), it would be a major pain trying to figure out who has what coverage for all hours of the day on top of trying to match it with another smaller or bigger server and not turn it into another messed up coverage war anyways. How do you even account for players or guilds who don't exactly play the exact same times every single day of a matchup? Not even enough servers to go around for perfect matching links, someone will get screwed somehow.

Heck they even asked if players would deal with more smaller servers in order to get more pieces to help put together better links, and players said no.

@"Brian.1289" said:zergs with frog tonics and ballons rolling paper

ROFL :-)

But, I have thought about "a 3 tier scenario" recently too.. however, I think i recall the admins saying that balancing servers & populations according to timezones didnt seem to work as easy as you would expect, and therefor is not part of the projected balance estimates.

I'm thinking that perhaps they should use a flag system, where they could flag certain servers that have a massive abundancy of population concentrated inside a specific timezone, so that server has unfavorable odds of getting paired together with another of the same type. (Maybe they do, but this time the roll was unlucky for those 2 servers).

The good old days had more of a "community defined balance", as opposed to being mostly balanced by the game administrators as per today. In the good old days when servers were allowed to have mega-massive populations & still have open status, servers usually balanced themselves out & guilds & commanders would transfer off to the competition if their timezone only had map queues etc. But these days we have a new mechanic called "relinks". I guess, we will see how things evolve.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Bristingr.5034 said:The solution is painfully simple. Let the servers vote. Final week of linking, each server can vote which server they'd like to pair up with.

Everyone votes to be with BG for coverage.. what then?

It's a ranked voting style. If multiple servers vote for the same link server, then use the past 7 weeks of playing to determine who gets the nod and tiebreaker.

And not everyone wants BG. I'd honestly take DH, JQ, or BP again.

Let's think about a box. The thin sky blue king an all that. Opening the envelope! This game needs five sides instead of three! With three sides you get two bullying the weakest, one side attacks frontally while the other side sneaks around the keeps and towers they can't spare people to defend, it reminds me of gollum, creeping around tryin' to do the 'obbits in while they're busy.

I think five sides would work better than merging servers, though it would require map redesigns.

Lmao I like how everyone gets mad cause questions are asked, If you can't back up your idea how are we suppose to take it seriously. You still haven't answered the question, with ranked ordering selection, essentially the top servers get first dibs going down to the last server which basically doesn't and gets stuck with probably the another low ranked server, how is everyone going to be happy with this process? You might want certain servers, but the rest on your server might decide to just vote for the highest server available. The mix matching of links would also be so much more chaotic with a voting process, and the actual populations and coverage after links even more chaotic.

Also are we having some competition to presenting ideas or something? I've presented enough ideas through the years, when I have another to bother presenting I'll make a thread. Until then I'll ask questions of every gold star idea that comes up, feel free to ignore me.

Anytime I log into the game there's no one playing enemy/friendly and we're in tier 1 lol.. one time some group was going for us and there was nothing to fight. The game mode is dying due to 7 years off neglect I guess. Condensing tiers won't really fix anything after you get rid of 1 tier you'll want to get rid of another till there's no tiers left. I guess that's better than what it is now which is empty lol