Should Anet pause development and use those resources to properly rework Build Templates?

Elrey.5472

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Blockhead Magee.3092 said:Turn off templates and get back to work on alliances.

As much as I want alliances to come out, these build templates have helped me in WvW to switch build quickly for bad match ups. This, however, shouldn’t be possible to do I think. Perhaps only being able to change builds inside a friendly objective is a necessary change.Right now it’s just two hot keys while I’m on my mount and away I go.

@Elrey.5472 said:

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:If a major MMO studio needs to seize development in order to fix a broken feature, they better close shop and do something else.

If I think that's a thing is because there's a precedent with HoT:

Hot was not a single feature tho it was a whole expansion.

No. Taking everyone off other projects to fix build templates won't make fixing it go faster. Software development isn't like moving a pile of sand with buckets. It's dependent on organization and process, not bulk labor.

Likewise scrapping it to put people on other projects won't likely make a big difference in those other projects.

The big problem with templates is understanding what the players wanted and giving it to them. Clearly that didn't happen.

@Elrey.5472 said:

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:If a major MMO studio needs to seize development in order to fix a broken feature, they better close shop and do something else.

If I think that's a thing is because there's a precedent with HoT:

If they ceased development during HoT's development (see the contradiction there?) then how did HoT get developed?

@Timelord.8190 said:Good luck fixing this which has already hit the gem store. It needed to be good at release, not after.Don't think there will be anything as close to as good ARC was.

Unfortunately, that's probably correct. The best rework (apart from fixing all the bugs) would be giving people freedom to choose ANet's trash templates or the superior build templates option: ArcTemplates. But that probably won't happen because of gems.

Lol, they’ve had 2yrs+ to get templates right, and possibly longer than that, since we know they were at least discussing it in 2014. If that wasn’t enough to get it done, I doubt another few months of troubleshooting will.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the game, as initially designed, must have just been incompatible with templates, absent some arcdps-like workaround. And I doubt they’d switch to something like that because then they’d have more trouble justifying charging people gems for it. And they couldn’t offer it for free because that would piss off the people that have already bought gems to get more slots

One of my other favourite games - Elite Dangerous just added a major new UI feature to enable the use of an in-game shop linked to microtransactions. The result was similar - horrendous bugs touching all aspects of game play. I do not understand how a UI can be designed so poorly that it affects other elements of a game that should be protected. For instance, how on Earth should a build template system be able to strip enchants?