ANet, Can we please get an announcement of how you intend to respond to the feedback on "templates"?

Please give us some hope that all the comments in the Feedback Thread are not for nothing and tells us in an official announcement how you intend to respond to the issues raised.

The mood, as I read it, it pretty low, feeling that nothing will come of out feedback. An announcement would really help the communication with the player base, by making them feel heard and knowing what they can expect.

I have been reading the thread and the issues raised are fairly consistent and can easily be summarized into a few main bullet points. I would just like to know how you as a company feel about the issues raised.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Krzysztof.5973 said:

@Reverielle.3972 said:Give them some time, it's only been a couple of days.It's easy on the outside looking in but these things always take far more time than most think.

It's been over a month not couple of days.

Really? Templates were officially released on Tuesday. That's hardly a month. Granted, there were many, many complaints and suggestions for templates prior to the official release (and Anet might well have considered some of them?), but I wouldn't expect Anet to really concern themselves with any feedback until the actual implementation went live. Most of the pre-release talk was conjecture at best as we, the player base, didn't have the templates in place to really work with and see things for which we could provide feedback.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Reverielle.3972 said:Give them some time, it's only been a couple of days.It's easy on the outside looking in but these things always take far more time than most think.

Really? Templates were officially released on Tuesday. That's hardly a month. Granted, there were many, many complaints and suggestions for templates prior to the official release (and Anet might well have considered some of them?), but I wouldn't expect Anet to really concern themselves with any feedback until the actual implementation went live. Most of the pre-release talk was conjecture at best as we, the player base, didn't have the templates in place to really work with and see things for which we could provide feedback.

We've seen them on Tuesday, October 1st. That's when you suppose to give feedback so they can tweak it before it's released and paid for. Most people who gave feedback in that time already pointed out most of the issues that we are experiencing right now.

@Omnicron.2467 said:Please give us some hope that all the comments in the Feedback Thread are not for nothing and tells us in an official announcement how you intend to respond to the issues raised.

The mood, as I read it, it pretty low, feeling that nothing will come of out feedback. An announcement would really help the communication with the player base, by making them feel heard and knowing what they can expect.

I have been reading the thread and the issues raised are fairly consistent and can easily be summarized into a few main bullet points. I would just like to know how you as a company feel about the issues raised.

I can cover this one even though I am in no way affiliated with ANet. They Don't. Just like the other times the community was pissed off they will ignore it until it blows over. It never changes, They no longer care what we have to say. All of the feedback they received after the announcement and they did not care. It is no longer anything but a product to make money off of. They don't care if they lose people because there will always be people that will buy things and the ones they lose aren't a concern anymore.

OP, you do realize they aren't going to make any changes to them right? People are already buying them in the current iteration, they did exactly what they intended to with them (gem store sales). Personally, I liked the way builds were done in GW1, but with the launch having already happened, the only change that could happen is they will increase the number of equipment tabs and build tabs available. I'm not saying don't continue making suggestions, I just think the community should realize that templates are what they are, and it isn't going to change.

@"Ubi.4136" said:OP, you do realize they aren't going to make any changes to them right? People are already buying them in the current iteration, they did exactly what they intended to with them (gem store sales). Personally, I liked the way builds were done in GW1, but with the launch having already happened, the only change that could happen is they will increase the number of equipment tabs and build tabs available. I'm not saying don't continue making suggestions, I just think the community should realize that templates are what they are, and it isn't going to change.

Yes, but I was recalling how they dealt with the mount skin license uproar where we did get an official response as well as changes which resulted in the addition of the Mount Select License ( https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/15523/a-message-about-the-mount-adoption-license/p1 ). Now the original license was never changed, so I am not sure what we can expect or hope for here

I would personally be greatly placated by having the templates separate for each game mode. If I got 3 per game mode I would feel really blessed, so even 2 for WvW and PvP with 3 for PvE would feel fair and a wonderful addition with enough incentive to buy more. I do not think this will negatively affect those who have already purchased them. The price for me is not the main thing, its how few we have due to the lack of a split, and hence the need to buy (it really does not feel like an option)

The other feature bugs and shortcomings (like gear swapping changing the template) are fixes which one can also hope for.

@"Omnicron.2467" said:Please give us some hope that all the comments in the Feedback Thread are not for nothing and tells us in an official announcement how you intend to respond to the issues raised.

Unfortunately not much is going to happen. They are active on the forums merging all threads related to templates into one (damage control). They are allowing you to air your grievances, etc., so that you have some sort of voice for an undetermined amount of time. At some point they will say something along the lines of, "Thank you for your feedback, we have enough information and our next step is to review said feedback" and will close the thread. They will ask you to remain patient while they work out what their next step is.

In the meantime they will attempt to fix the bugs that the templates are causing and that will be it. They will release a stabilization fix and hope that the news has blown over by that point. I doubt there will be significant changes and with LS E1 coming in the near future they hope all will be forgotten.

We've seen this same process before and it's not likely to be any different this time around.

@Omnicron.2467 said:Please give us some hope that all the comments in the Feedback Thread are not for nothing and tells us in an official announcement how you intend to respond to the issues raised.They can only do that if they do intend to respond to the issues raised, which, at the moment, seems pretty unlikely.

@Omnicron.2467 said:

@"Ubi.4136" said:OP, you do realize they aren't going to make any changes to them right? People are already buying them in the current iteration, they did exactly what they intended to with them (gem store sales). Personally, I liked the way builds were done in GW1, but with the launch having already happened, the only change that could happen is they will increase the number of equipment tabs and build tabs available. I'm not saying don't continue making suggestions, I just think the community should realize that templates are what they are, and it isn't going to change.

Yes, but I was recalling how they dealt with the mount skin license uproar where we did get an official response as well as changes which resulted in the addition of the Mount Select License (
). Now the original license was never changed, so I am not sure what we can expect or hope for hereNothing. If you look at the statement they made about the Mount License uproar, you'd have noticed that they never admitted to making any design mistakes. What they said was that they were sorry that the bad players misunderstood their good intentions. And, as you have noticed, they changed exactly nothing wbout the original, first Mount Licence. That's likely exactly what you should expect now - them making a statement about how people misunderstood the system (or making no statement at all), and then making no further changes apart from introducing those 4 more tabs they've already made but are currently hidden, while mentioning how they're adding them "as a response to player feedback". All the core problems with the system will almost certainly remain as they are however.

@"Omnicron.2467" >>> ANet, Can we please get an announcement of how you intend to respond to the feedback on "templates"?

Game Developers DON'T ever make announcements over "how they intend to respond players' feedback on matter XYZ "

I learnt many, many, years ago, to accept Game Developers will make changes, updates as they see fit, and not based on popular player opinion.

Anet's microtranscation business model is one that targets the few (~3% richest players) and not the many (subscription based model), and this top richest % of players will buy everything on offer in microtransactions: The $$$ amounts to these individuals will seem paltry amounts compared to what the general community sees them as.

Ergo Anet will not mind one bit the general gaming community complaining on forum about any monetization issue or even quitting playing altogether, since the top ~3% richest players will go on playing and spending regardless.

WWE 2k20 released in an unplayable form in one of the glitchiest major releases Ive ever seen. 2K games ignored the community for days to utter outrage. It's the same model of comms Anet and many other gaming companies use when issues arise and it always backfires.

I would hope in this modern day and age, companies were savvy enough to understand that you jump on an issue immediately, you manage the problem and keep customers informed - esp in the social media age where things spiral out of control exponentially the longer they are left. You will never satisfy everyone because some are looking for an excuse to have a go, but actually most people are pretty respectful when treated the same way and will be a lot more forgiving and understanding when kept constantly in the loop.

I have no personal issues with the templates and am quite satisfied with what I got, but I can recognise there is enough legitimate feedback from others to be addressed and addressed immediately, even if implementation takes time. Enough feedback is out there now to understand where they need to action anything

Have you ever considered that you're creating too much noise, some of it very angry, and there's no way any sane Human being would want to sift through all of that, especially when they likely aren't paid enough to do so on top of all their efforts ?

Companies are made of the people that work there, and alot of them are just trying to pay the bills. Have some empathy, and ArenaNet will likely communicate with the players more, but as it is the forums have become little more than anger, negativity and even borderline hatred. I'm a game developer myself and on our last project we had to shut the forums down because it was giving the other devs anxiety.

Would you really want to talk to someone who hates you ? Alot of these people aren't even buying anything.

@Hannelore.8153 said:Have you ever considered that you're creating too much noise, some of it very angry, and there's no way any sane Human being would want to sift through all of that, especially when they likely aren't paid enough to do so on top of all their efforts ?

Companies are made of the people that work there, and alot of them are just trying to pay the bills. Have some empathy, and ArenaNet will likely communicate with the players more, but as it is the forums have become little more than anger, negativity and even borderline hatred. I'm a game developer myself and on our last project we had to shut the forums down because it was giving the other devs anxiety.

Would you really want to talk to someone who hates you ? Alot of these people aren't even buying anything.

It's kind of a catch-22People have been building up their frustrations over the last few months with how ANET handles the game and lacks communication.Would you want to talk to angry customers? Ofc not. But, should you completely ignore them either? No, they will only speak more loudly.That's the problem. People don't feel like they are heard...so they are voicing their opinions louder and louder.It's getting kinda hard to watch at this point. They don't seem to be able to do much 'right' lately but are gleefully still charging ridiculous amounts of money for a very poorly developed product. I don't know how to fix it,,,,but ignoring it will only sew seeds of mistrust later and the next issue will blow up even larger. It is the trend we have seen lately.

@Hannelore.8153 said:Have you ever considered that you're creating too much noise, some of it very angry, and there's no way any sane Human being would want to sift through all of that, especially when they likely aren't paid enough to do so on top of all their efforts ?

It's true that some people can be downright vitriolic and that's not very constructive. But the vast majority of what I'm reading hasn't been hateful, just frustrated. Sure, it's easy for the devs to take it personally, but they have to be able to meet the community halfway with a thicker skin if there is to be a better relationship and communication.

From merged thread

We want to acknowledge that we are reading the feedback expressed in this thread and the other forums threads about the Build and Equipment Templates. We are discussing this feedback internally to determine how we can address it.

Stéphane Lo PrestiContent Marketing Manager

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Reverielle.3972" said:Give them some time, it's only been a couple of days.It's easy on the outside looking in but these things always take far more time than most think.

It wasn't conjecture. The "templates" work exactly as shown in the stream.

This response just underscores how immature the IT and gaming industry is. A mature industry would learn how to handle this stuff, not convince themselves to close down communications.