The Mesmers Balance around "Infinit Horizon" in PvP

Fleckzeck.4673

Hi,with the reveal of the planed nerfs to Mirage we see once more, that the PvP-Balance of the Mesmer is heavily focused around this trait. Every "Meta"-Build since the "Elusive Mind"-Nerf uses this trait.Mesmer was always a combo profession this is why it has 2 different typs of illusions.

• Phantasms damage the opponent
  • Clones don´t really damage the opponent (only combined with F1-4)

The trait "Infinit Horizon" blures the line between the two typs of illusions. Now clones damage the oponent heavily like phantasms .The traits "Infinit Horizon" with "Deceptive Evasion" give the Mesmer nearly the same amount of damage as if you run 2 offensive traitlines bevore (mostly "Illusions" + "Dueling").This gives the Mirage the opportunity to run a very deffensive traitline like "Chaos".

With "Chaos" + "Duelling" + "Mirage" the Mesmer has a high uptime of permanent preasure on the opponent AND a very good sustain.This leads the the point where playing against Mirage is very unsatisfying and playing as a Mirage feels very passive, because your clones do all the work for you.Also the Mesmer doesn´t has to rely on 3-Clone+F2 combos anymore because the clones also preasure the opponent heavily.The planed nerfs aren´t nesessary if "Infinit Horizon" itself gets nerfed.

" - Illusionary Counter: Reduced the number of clones spawned on block from 2 to 1 in PvP only

• Phantasmal Warlock:Reduced the number of warlocks spawned from 2 to 1 in PvP only.Increased the vulnerability applied per hit from 2 stacks to 4 stacks in PvP only
  • Chaos Vortex:Reduced bleed duration from 8 seconds to 4 seconds in PvP only.Reduced burn duration from 2 seconds to 1 second in PvP only.Reduced Torment duration from 8 seconds to 4 seconds in PvP only"

All changes want to lower the clone-production or the damage the clones do, to lower the preasure from "Infinit Horizon".

My suggestions is the following:

• Give "Infinit Horizon" an ICD of 20 sec in PvP+WvW only
  • "Infinit Horizon" only activates if you have 1+ clones in PvE and 2+ clones in PvP+WvW

The results I see with this change:

• With this change the Mirage is forced to change the playstyle. You lose a lot of damage if you just run "Chaos" + "Duelling" + "Mirage" after this change.
  • With a possible "Illusions" + "Duelling" + "Mirage"-Build the Mirage is forced to decide between an extra burst every 20 sec (if he runs "Infinit Horizon") or a condi-remove+stunbreak (if he runs "Elusive Mind"
  • "Infinit Horizon" won´t activate if it can´t produce any preasure in PvP (because you need 2+ clones)
  • "Infinit Horizon" is unchanged for PvE
  • Sword builds which just spam dodges and interrupt the opponent with random sword-ambush-skills can´t exist anymore
  • Playing against the Mirage feels better becaus you can time the condi-cleans better and the preasure the Mirage spams (in the current state) outside of the burst combos is lower
  • The mirage feels more active to play because you don´t get carried by your clones anymore

What are your thoughts on this topic?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Fleckzeck.4673" said:Hi,with the reveal of the planed nerfs to Mirage we see once more, that the PvP-Balance of the Mesmer is heavily focused around this trait. Every "Meta"-Build since the "Elusive Mind"-Nerf uses this trait.Mesmer was always a combo profession this is why it has 2 different typs of illusions.

• Phantasms damage the opponent
  • Clones don´t really damage the opponent (only combined with F1-4)

The trait "Infinit Horizon" blures the line between the two typs of illusions. Now clones damage the oponent heavily like phantasms .The traits "Infinit Horizon" with "Deceptive Evasion" give the Mesmer nearly the same amount of damage as if you run 2 offensive traitlines bevore (mostly "Illusions" + "Dueling").This gives the Mirage the opportunity to run a very deffensive traitline like "Chaos".

With "Chaos" + "Duelling" + "Mirage" the Mesmer has a high uptime of permanent preasure on the opponent AND a very good sustain.This leads the the point where playing against Mirage is very unsatisfying and playing as a Mirage feels very passive, because your clones do all the work for you.Also the Mesmer doesn´t has to rely on 3-Clone+F2 combos anymore because the clones also preasure the opponent heavily.The planed nerfs aren´t nesessary if "Infinit Horizon" itself gets nerfed.

" - Illusionary Counter: Reduced the number of clones spawned on block from 2 to 1 in PvP only

• Phantasmal Warlock:Reduced the number of warlocks spawned from 2 to 1 in PvP only.Increased the vulnerability applied per hit from 2 stacks to 4 stacks in PvP only
  • Chaos Vortex:Reduced bleed duration from 8 seconds to 4 seconds in PvP only.Reduced burn duration from 2 seconds to 1 second in PvP only.Reduced Torment duration from 8 seconds to 4 seconds in PvP only"

All changes want to lower the clone-production or the damage the clones do, to lower the preasure from "Infinit Horizon".

My suggestions is the following:

• Give "Infinit Horizon" an ICD of 20 sec in PvP+WvW only
  • "Infinit Horizon" only activates if you have 1+ clones in PvE and 2+ clones in PvP+WvW

The results I see with this change:

• With this change the Mirage is forced to change the playstyle. You lose a lot of damage if you just run "Chaos" + "Duelling" + "Mirage" after this change.
  • With a possible "Illusions" + "Duelling" + "Mirage"-Build the Mirage is forced to decide between an extra burst every 20 sec (if he runs "Infinit Horizon") or a condi-remove+stunbreak (if he runs "Elusive Mind"
  • "Infinit Horizon" won´t activate if it can´t produce any preasure in PvP (because you need 2+ clones)
  • "Infinit Horizon" is unchanged for PvE
  • Sword builds which just spam dodges and interrupt the opponent with random sword-ambush-skills can´t exist anymore
  • Playing against the Mirage feels better becaus you can time the condi-cleans better and the preasure the Mirage spams (in the current state) outside of the burst combos is lower
  • The mirage feels more active to play because you don´t get carried by your clones anymore

What are your thoughts on this topic?

If you want mirage to be unplayable that would propably do it.IH is the reason you go mirage, remove it and its gone. and since you suggested taking Elusive Mind instead of IH im guessing you have never played with it, have you?

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:

If you want mirage to be unplayable that would propably do it.IH is the reason you go mirage, remove it and its gone. and since you suggested taking Elusive Mind instead of IH im guessing you have never played with it, have you?

(I often play with "Elusive Mind")Why whould this change make Mirage unplayable?Mirage is very passive at the Moment. You just evade the attacks of the opponent and your clones do the work for you. This is very borig to play and very annoying to play againt (even in Mirage vs Mirage).

If Mirage is underperforming with my suggested changes A-Net will probably notice it.A nerf to "Infinit Horizon" gives also room for new buffs :)

@Fleckzeck.4673 said:

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:

(I often play with "Elusive Mind")Why whould this change make Mirage unplayable?Mirage is very passive at the Moment. You just evade the attacks of the opponent and your clones do the work for you. This is very borig to play and very annoying to play againt (even in Mirage vs Mirage).

If Mirage is underperforming with my suggested changes A-Net will probably notice it.A nerf to "Infinit Horizon" gives also room for new buffs :)

then propose buffs, if this change goes throught mirage becomes unplayable along the lines of chronomancer.as far as changes go, developers are trigger happy with gutting things we have, lost time, chrono, chaotic interuption, now staff nerf of 50%.just nerf after nerf. keep in mind its not only condi mirage that uses that trait, it hits power too.

This is fine as long as you shave the exhaustion on elusive mind.Also no mirage that is sane is going to take EM as long as you can still dodge while stunned and take IH.They will just be very angry and take IH anyway unless they have to choose between damage and blowing up quick, or less damage but blowing up less quick.

@"bravan.3876" said:Reducing Mesmers clone generation from weapons to have opportunity costs between dmg traits and clone generation traits like DE is very good, i asked for that since the illusion rework. Sadly you still nerf Mesmers own and for that active sources of condi dmg instead the clone ambushes and clone autoattacks from condi weapons. Nerf these two remarkable and give more Condi dmg to shatters back. At this point just switch from one source to the other more active one, don't nerf more.

You want, as I understand:

• Condi-Damage from the Clones removed
  • More Condi-Damage on shatters
  • More active gameplay

I suggest the following with my suggestion:

• Why my proposed change would remove Condi-Damage from clones
  • Why I think the upcomming changes aren´t necessarry if "Infinit Horizon" gets a nerf
  • The "Illusions" traitline gets more attantion (it brings damage on shatters back)
  • The gameplay will be more active again because Clone-Ambush-Attacks wont carry the players damage anymore

So why are my changes "horrible"?

@Fleckzeck.4673 said:

@"bravan.3876" said:Reducing Mesmers clone generation from weapons to have opportunity costs between dmg traits and clone generation traits like DE is very good, i asked for that since the illusion rework. Sadly you still nerf Mesmers own and for that active sources of condi dmg instead the clone ambushes and clone autoattacks from condi weapons. Nerf these two remarkable and give more Condi dmg to shatters back. At this point just switch from one source to the other more active one, don't nerf more.

You want, as I understand:
  • Condi-Damage from the Clones removed
  • More Condi-Damage on shatters
  • More active gameplay

I suggest the following with my suggestion:
  • Why my proposed change would remove Condi-Damage from clones
  • Why I think the upcomming changes aren´t necessarry if "Infinit Horizon" gets a nerf
  • The "Illusions" traitline gets more attantion (it brings damage on shatters back)
  • The gameplay will be more active again because Clone-Ambush-Attacks wont carry the players damage anymore

So why are my changes "horrible"?

Because i can reach that goal without killing active gameplay parts of IH or even make the trait completely useless. Also you try to add stuff doesn't make sense at all like ICD on a dodge trait (even 20-30 secs rofl, try to do that to other dodge traits on other classes and wait for the reactions pls and suggest that Warrior dodge trait is only working when the Warrior has at least 2 bars of adrenaline up or something like that). Re-read the partt of my post about ICDs on dodge traits. You could have just said pls delete IH from the game and give nothing in return, that is what your suggestions are saying in fact.

@"bravan.3876" said:Because i can reach that goal without killing active gameplay parts of IH or even make the trait completely useless. Also you try to add stuff doesn't make sense at all like ICD on a dodge trait (even 20-30 secs rofl, try to do that to other dodge traits on other classes and wait for the reactions pls and suggest that Warrior dodge trait is only working when the Warrior has at least 2 bars of adrenaline up or something like that). Re-read the partt of my post about ICDs on dodge traits. You could have just said pls delete IH from the game and give nothing in return, that is what your suggestions are saying in fact.

What is the active gameplay part of this trait? That you spam clones+damage if you use a dodge? You get your own ambush skill without "IH" and if you use it or not is your choice -> active gameplay.Other classes dont get a big part of the damage from just dodging (maybe Condi-DD or Staff-DD (both builds get a nerf)).My suggestion is in fact saying, that "IH" is in my opinion an unhealthy trait for the balance of the Mesmer/Mirage. This is why I want the spamy, passive gameplay, that follows if ppl run this trait, reduced.

The reason why I think the trait should only trigger every 20 sec, if you have 2+ clones up, is that it wont get wasted by a random dodge with 0-1 clones up. If you have a minimum of 2+ clones up you have at least 2+ clones + yourself using the ambush skill so the trait wont lose any value to its current state, "only" that it wont spam abush skills anymore and that it will open new room for balance changes to bring the "lost" damage back to the mesmer itself or the shatter skills.

Why do you think that the trait is healthy as it is now?

@Fleckzeck.4673 said:

@"bravan.3876" said:Because i can reach that goal without killing active gameplay parts of IH or even make the trait completely useless. Also you try to add stuff doesn't make sense at all like ICD on a dodge trait (even 20-30 secs rofl, try to do that to other dodge traits on other classes and wait for the reactions pls and suggest that Warrior dodge trait is only working when the Warrior has at least 2 bars of adrenaline up or something like that). Re-read the partt of my post about ICDs on dodge traits. You could have just said pls delete IH from the game and give nothing in return, that is what your suggestions are saying in fact.

What is the active gameplay part of this trait? That you spam clones+damage if you use a dodge? You get your own ambush skill without "IH" and if you use it or not is your choice -> active gameplay.Other classes dont get a big part of the damage from just dodging (maybe Condi-DD or Staff-DD (both builds get a nerf)).My suggestion is in fact saying, that "IH" is in my opinion an unhealthy trait for the balance of the Mesmer/Mirage. This is why I want the spamy, passive gameplay, that follows if ppl run this trait, reduced.

The reason why I think the trait should only trigger every 20 sec, if you have 2+ clones up, is that it wont get wasted by a random dodge with 0-1 clones up. If you have a minimum of 2+ clones up you have at least 2+ clones + yourself using the ambush skill so the trait wont lose any value to its current state, "only" that it wont spam abush skills anymore and that it will open new room for balance changes to bring the "lost" damage back to the mesmer itself or the shatter skills.

Why do you think that the trait is healthy as it is now?

I dont think you get why IH is mandatory, GL fighting holo, that gets free stability from your clones becouse IH cant dodge, perma CC immune burst super sustain guy that jut runs you down and steamrolls you, that doesnt even have to dodge your attacks becouse you attack with condi, so he can just facetank -> kill your ass -> cleanse and heal with 0 brain.

GL fighting warrior that just spins throught you and your clones, GJ ! you dodges that 8k spin, too bad your clones didnt, now you lost them all and he got 8 might, and healed for 2k becouse of it :D

EDIT add 20s cs, since you dodge around every dunno, 6-8s? its just another 66% nerf to mesmer, i love it <3

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:I dont think you get why IH is mandatory, GL fighting holo, that gets free stability from your clones becouse IH cant dodge, perma CC immune burst super sustain guy that jut runs you down and steamrolls you, that doesnt even have to dodge your attacks becouse you attack with condi, so he can just facetank -> kill your kitten -> cleanse and heal with 0 brain.

This is why they nerf the qickness of the Holo to lower its counterpreasure and this is why they also lower the stab on Elixir-U to make it harder for the holo to cover "Corona Burst" with stability. Holo is very strong, but they try to nerf it slowly so I don´t see a problem there. As I told you bevore, changing "IH" gives room for new buffs to Mesmer.Maybe changing "Mirage Cloak" so, that it gives your illusions an evade by default would be a nice change (without triggering an ambush).

GL fighting warrior that just spins throught you and your clones, GJ ! you dodges that 8k spin, too bad your clones didnt, now you lost them all and he got 8 might, and healed for 2k becouse of it :D

Warrior don´t gets many different boons. If you don´t want to wait with "Arcane Thievery" to steal theyr resistance you can steal theyr might stacks. If they spin around, they also trigger your torment stacks. I agree with you, that the matchup is a very hard one.

EDIT add 20s cs, since you dodge around every dunno, 6-8s? its just another 66% nerf to mesmer, i love it <3

You got why I think a CD is necessary. You dodge every 6-8 sec. But I think its to strong if your clones spam every 6-8 sec a ambush skill. The Mesmers damage does not only come from your passive clone ambush-attacks. IF 66% of your damage is from clone ambush-attacks its a grat reason to split the damage more to the Mesmer himself (and this is the reason why I think the "IH" change is necessary :) )

@Fleckzeck.4673 said:

@"Leonidrex.5649" said:I dont think you get why IH is mandatory, GL fighting holo, that gets free stability from your clones becouse IH cant dodge, perma CC immune burst super sustain guy that jut runs you down and steamrolls you, that doesnt even have to dodge your attacks becouse you attack with condi, so he can just facetank -> kill your kitten -> cleanse and heal with 0 brain.

This is why they nerf the qickness of the Holo to lower its counterpreasure and this is why they also lower the stab on Elixir-U to make it harder for the holo to cover "Corona Burst" with stability. Holo is very strong, but they try to nerf it slowly so I don´t see a problem there. As I told you bevore, changing "IH" gives room for new buffs to Mesmer.Maybe changing "Mirage Cloak" so, that it gives your illusions an evade by default would be a nice change (without triggering an ambush).

Warrior don´t gets many different boons. If you don´t want to wait with "Arcane Thievery" to steal theyr resistance you can steal theyr might stacks. If they spin around, they also trigger your torment stacks. I agree with you, that the matchup is a very hard one.

You got why I think a CD is necessary. You dodge every 6-8 sec. But I think its to strong if your clones spam every 6-8 sec a ambush skill. The Mesmers damage does not only come from your passive clone ambush-attacks. IF 66% of your damage is from clone ambush-attacks its a grat reason to split the damage more to the Mesmer himself (and this is the reason why I think the "IH" change is necessary :) )

IH should be made baseline, ambush clone should be nerfed by 70-90%, other GM traits should be reworked, other abilities should be buffed.just look at utilities we have, there is like 4-5 usable ones, rest are for meming, mb start there?I tried to play core power mesmer in pve, just looked at my elites and my utilities and said fuck it back to chrono.same thing in pvp

I dunno when you don't get the active part you have in general on dodge dmg traits even though i already explained then i don't know how to explain better. I mean you are right, the problem is, that the active part from IH on Condimes is very minimal because of the reasons i mentioned already: The condi ambushes are too passively designed. First they are only about dmg and not like sword mostly about having an effect you actively can react to and counter opponents moves as Mirage. The dmg part is secondary to barely relevant on clone sword ambush. Condi ambushes don't have that, they are purely about dmg application (that alone is not even a big problem but:). The second reason is, that the dmg application from clones (even on normal autoattacks not only ambushes) is so high, that it is rewarding enough for the Mesmer to just dodge defensive and kite and let clones do all the work. Another counterpart you don't have on Condimes is that you cannot force the Mesmer into dodging for his clones to make them survive (only classes with traitprocs on hit can still do that), because with all the double clone generation on weapons like scepter and staff the Mesmer can too easily create more clones if some get cleaved out (that is why reducing clone generations on these 2 weapons is the only nerf i agree to).All that reduce the trade offs you have in your dodge managements from dmg dodge traits very hard.

But not only is the condi clone dmg too strong, the Mirage itself also doesn't rly have that much to compete in dmg applications with his own clones. Shatters are Mesmers and also Mirages class mechanic but as a Condimes you better don't shatter if you can avoid it. You sure don't shatter for dmg because your clones do more dmg with their attacks then the Mesmer does with his shatters. Means the only reasons to shatter is defensive (f4,f3) or only to finish off targets or when the Mesmer has all clone generation skills rdy and don't want to overwrite clones with new clones (then you use f2/f1). The active gameplay part from IH is pretty well burried under the wrong and passive design from the condi ambush skills.

Maybe it helps to understand IH better when you think about it as a tool to command minions (never played GW1 but i heard you had minions there you could command somehow). The Mesmer telling his clones what to do by his dodge management. That is per se completely active in his basic nature and an interesting gameplay mechanic. All comes down to how ambushes are designed to adjust how skillfull and active IH is. And the less an ambush (or a dodge trait in general) is only about dmg but more about using effects to react to opponents moves, the higher the skill ceiling and the more active the whole mechanic will be.

@"bravan.3876" said:I dunno when you don't get the active part you have in general on dodge dmg traits even though i already explained then i don't know how to explain better. I mean you are right, the problem is, that the active part from IH on Condimes is very minimal because of the reasons i mentioned already: The condi ambushes are too passively designed. First they are only about dmg and not like sword mostly about having an effect you actively can react to and counter opponents moves as Mirage. The dmg part is secondary to barely relevant on clone sword ambush. Condi ambushes don't have that, they are purely about dmg application (that alone is not even a big problem but:). The second reason is, that the dmg application from clones (even on normal autoattacks not only ambushes) is so high, that it is rewarding enough for the Mesmer to just dodge defensive and kite and let clones do all the work. Another counterpart you don't have on Condimes is that you cannot force the Mesmer into dodging for his clones to make them survive (only classes with traitprocs on hit can still do that), because with all the double clone generation on weapons like scepter and staff the Mesmer can too easily create more clones if some get cleaved out (that is why reducing clone generations on these 2 weapons is the only nerf i agree to).All that reduce the trade offs you have in your dodge managements from dmg dodge traits very hard.

But not only is the condi clone dmg too strong, the Mirage itself also doesn't rly have that much to compete in dmg applications with his own clones. Shatters are Mesmers and also Mirages class mechanic but as a Condimes you better don't shatter if you can avoid it. You sure don't shatter for dmg because your clones do more dmg with their attacks then the Mesmer does with his shatters. Means the only reasons to shatter is defensive (f4,f3) or only to finish off targets or when the Mesmer has all clone generation skills rdy and don't want to overwrite clones with new clones (then you use f2/f1). The active gameplay part from IH is pretty well burried under the wrong and passive design from the condi ambush skills.

I think we both want a adjustment of the "IH"-Clone-Machanic.You want to change to clone generation to adress the "problem" and I want to have the damage back on the Mesmer :)

@Fleckzeck.4673 said:

@"bravan.3876" said:I dunno when you don't get the active part you have in general on dodge dmg traits even though i already explained then i don't know how to explain better. I mean you are right, the problem is, that the active part from IH on Condimes is very minimal because of the reasons i mentioned already: The condi ambushes are too passively designed. First they are only about dmg and not like sword mostly about having an effect you actively can react to and counter opponents moves as Mirage. The dmg part is secondary to barely relevant on clone sword ambush. Condi ambushes don't have that, they are purely about dmg application (that alone is not even a big problem but:). The second reason is, that the dmg application from clones (even on normal autoattacks not only ambushes) is so high, that it is rewarding enough for the Mesmer to just dodge defensive and kite and let clones do all the work. Another counterpart you don't have on Condimes is that you cannot force the Mesmer into dodging for his clones to make them survive (only classes with traitprocs on hit can still do that), because with all the double clone generation on weapons like scepter and staff the Mesmer can too easily create more clones if some get cleaved out (that is why reducing clone generations on these 2 weapons is the only nerf i agree to).All that reduce the trade offs you have in your dodge managements from dmg dodge traits very hard.

I think we both want a adjustment of the "IH"-Clone-Machanic.You want to change to clone generation to adress the "problem" and I want to have the damage back on the Mesmer :)

No sadly you didn't understand :disappointed: I want the dmg back to the Mesmer as well the only difference is that i want to adjust ambushes and not IH. That you still didn't understand why nerfing IH is contradicting the goal to make Condimes more active is kind of sad because i have no idea how to be more precise or how to break the problematic down to an even easier to understand lvl. Also your suggetsions are not even mindful nerf suggestions, it is a straight up rektage of the whole spec without any compensation, and as explained will dumb down the class not make it more skillful. I felt like reading an episode from the novel "A Mesmer hater in wonderland/ cockaigne"

Too easy clone generation was just another point i made as a side note to explain the whole problem to you.

? mirage ambush are probably the most visible animation and tell currently, what did you want more ?

@Fleckzeck.4673 said :You got why I think a CD is necessary. You dodge every 6-8 sec. But I think its to strong if your clones spam every 6-8 sec a ambush skill.If you think you can kill something with half a brain with 6-8 sec 3-4k on high animation delay, we don't play the same game and you clearly don't play mirage.

@"phokus.8934" said:This is a pretty significant nerf to Mesmer as a whole, not just Mirage.

ANet is going about changing things when the real culprit is IH/Ambush.

New team, same mentality.

agreed. Ambush gives damge as well as mobility (with sword) while IH makes clones too "tanky"i would also add mirage Cloak as a problem

@Zawn.9647 said:

@"phokus.8934" said:This is a pretty significant nerf to Mesmer as a whole, not just Mirage.

agreed. Ambush gives damge as well as mobility (with sword) while IH makes clones too "tanky"i would also add mirage Cloak as a problem

clones literarly die to 1 auto attack, there is no such thing as clones being too tanky.

@Zawn.9647 said:

agreed. Ambush gives damge as well as mobility (with sword) while IH makes clones too "tanky"ambush give pressure
or
mobility fixed this for you because you know the ambush who give mobility + condi damage + direct damage didn't exist yet.IH makes clone not die in random AOE put out by many class in normal cycle but you have to play mesmer to figure this out.

@viquing.8254 said:

agreed. Ambush gives damge as well as mobility (with sword) while IH makes clones too "tanky"ambush give pressure
or
mobility fixed this for you because you know the ambush who give mobility + condi damage + direct damage didn't exist yet.IH makes clone not die in random AOE put out by many class in normal cycle but you have to play mesmer to figure this out.

They still die to random aoe, you can just sometimes protect them from specific aoe you need them to avoid, mostly corona burst, warriors rampage leap and gs3 spin.