In response to cmc, about Guardian.

Math.5123

Scepter isn't a good weapon. 3 is extremely outdated, 2 is generic, and 1 is completely awful. However, the dps scepter puts out is actually pretty good if you are getting hits. At one point, the best raid build for guard was just camping scepter since 2 out-damaged greatsword.

You take it because sometimes you need a stand-off weapon set. When you have a few secs between cooldowns, you need something to stay engaged. Seeing a 2 melee primary guard really lets a lot of smart players kite you around.

While i like a lot of these thoughts, i'm not sure they are putting pressure in the right places. Only hammer needs any changes for weapon balances. Yes, others could be touched, but i would rather see utilities changed over weapon skills.

All of the shouts besides Stand Your Ground are complete and utter garbage and need a rework.Signet of Mercy and Bane Signet are the only signets that are ever taken.Wall is the only consecration worth taking.Spirit hammer is utter garbage and the spirit shield is still bugged after ~2 years (it is invisible on except in specific situations).

Fix the utilities into something relevant. The weapon skills are a bit outdated, but the utilities have largely been trash since BETA. Easily worse than thief traps that just got a major rework.

@Tharan.9085 said:Scepter isnt funktional at all, the projectiles still work like GW1 projectiles.

Scepter is definitely outdated, but it works.

@Zephoid.4263 said:Scepter isn't a good weapon. 3 is extremely outdated, 2 is generic, and 1 is completely awful. However, the dps scepter puts out is actually pretty good if you are getting hits. At one point, the best raid build for guard was just camping scepter since 2 out-damaged greatsword.

You take it because sometimes you need a stand-off weapon set. When you have a few secs between cooldowns, you need something to stay engaged. Seeing a 2 melee primary guard really lets a lot of smart players kite you around.

While i like a lot of these thoughts, i'm not sure they are putting pressure in the right places. Only hammer needs any changes for weapon balances. Yes, others could be touched, but i would rather see utilities changed over weapon skills.

All of the shouts besides Stand Your Ground are complete and utter garbage and need a rework.Signet of Mercy and Bane Signet are the only signets that are ever taken.Wall is the only consecration worth taking.Spirit hammer is utter garbage and the spirit shield is still bugged after ~2 years (it is invisible on except in specific situations).

Fix the utilities into something relevant. The weapon skills are a bit outdated, but the utilities have largely been trash since BETA. Easily worse than thief traps that just got a major rework.

Honestly hammer and scepter could see changes, but guardian has long been severely outdated and yet still very good in pvp. Fix everything else first before changing every single weapon.

@Dantheman.3589 said:

@Tharan.9085 said:Scepter isnt funktional at all, the projectiles still work like GW1 projectiles.

@"Zephoid.4263" said:Scepter isn't a good weapon. 3 is extremely outdated, 2 is generic, and 1 is completely awful. However, the dps scepter puts out is actually pretty good if you are getting hits. At one point, the best raid build for guard was just camping scepter since 2 out-damaged greatsword.

Honestly hammer and scepter could see changes, but guardian has long been severely outdated and yet still very good in pvp. Fix everything else first before changing every single weapon.

"Changing every single weapon", you're making it sounds like I'm asking for complete overhauls. A simple velocity bonus, so that our only ranged dps weapon can actually, you know, hit from more outside melee range would be fantastic. It even had its auto damage nerfed last patch.

@FtoPScrub.5476 said:Bring back core and DH. Symbol FB is braindead and should be gutted for the sake of bringing some semblance of skill back to guardian.

While I would love to be able to play Hammer guard or medi-DH again. I feel like they are currently what the golden standard SHOULD be ingame. I believe we won't ever get back to that considering the design of many of the PoF specs, but cmc's comment in mind (saying he wants to reduce the power-creep) all we can do is hope now I guess.I would hope that he starts by toning down all the blatantly obvious OP classes, followed by all the un-fun shit like Mirage, DE, Staff Staff DrD etc etc.

In response to those above concerning Scepter. I currently have three builds I'm working on using, one of which utilizes Scepter. The other two, Staff with Axe/Shield. As much as I'd love to comment on the changes suggested within the OP, I'm a little too tired from posting hundreds of times concerning feedback. I'll just leave this as something that I believe should be heeded.

Instant skills(meditations for instance) are crap, they have no counter-play other than guessing. I personally prefer having cast-times as a way to fight back(Mantra charge-up time for example)

Slow weapons should hit or be more significant than their faster counterparts, I'd imagine anyone here would agree. (looking at you hammer)

When you're lacking gimmicky/bs mechanics, you should be compensated as such(evades on skills, stealth, instant and significant burst, crazy condi-variation, ect.) I'm not going to go deep into this because I'm going to get a lot of flak for this but hear me when I say STEALTH has NO reliable counter in this game. It's an insanely strong mechanic. That's all.

Get-out-of-jail traits should not exist(luckily, Guardian has none of these).

If you're within range of a skill and you're not blinded, the target isn't invulned/stealthed/blocking/aegis or whatever, your skill SHOULD hit. Tracking issue's are terrible game design(looking at you Scepter).

Thank you all for your time.

@Dantheman.3589 said:

@Tharan.9085 said:@Dantheman.3589 excuse me what?

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:By following the example of Ferios I will create a post discussing the different traits, skills and weapons that are over-performing.I will mainly suggest Quality of Life and nerfs in this post, considering we all want to lower the power-creep.

Guardian

It's a slow, bruiser type class with pretty good burst potential coming out of LoS. The sustained damage is incredibly sub-par compared to other roaming damage dealers, such as Holo and Rev.At 11k base health, you're pidgeon-holed into running an Amulet with Vitality on it. Either Mender, Sage or Marauder. I feel like messing with the base health of classes is a bit out of the scope of these upcoming few patches, so I will won't touch that.

Weapons

Greatsword

Overall a great weapon. Has much needed mobility, blinds, situational CC and burst.

#2 Whirling Wrath
- It is extremely hard to hit anyone with this ability unless they are stunned by someone else, or used in conjunction with your healing skill to out-trade classes like Holosmith / Rev / War in a melee scenario. It currently slows you down by 50% during the cast.
Remove the movement slow.

#5 Binding Blade
- Once again, extremely difficult to hit anyone outside of melee range with this. Simply adding a velocity increase would do wonders. I would also give this skill a pulsing reveal for 3 seconds, every 3 seconds while the tether is attached. The reveal will stop pulse if you move 600 units away from the Guardian (Just like the damage does).
Increase the velocity and add a pulsing reveal

Scepter

Never really been used at all in PvP. Saw a damage nerf last patch.

#1 Orb of Wrath
- Once again, slow moving projectile. Functions the same as the old Mesmer staff Phantasm hit (before rework.
Increase velocity, keep damage as is.

Sword

A stable of every Guardian build. Has mobility, blind and projectile hate.

#2 Symbol of Blades
- Saw a 40% damage nerf on the initial hit last patch. It crits for around 1.2k currently on a full on glass build.
Revert the damage nerf in PvP

Hammer

Hammer was in a REALLY good spot about a year ago. The damage was insane (
). While I can see this being incredibly un-fun to play against and honestly flat out infuriating I wouldn't want this meta back. Even though I severely enjoy running one-shot builds.Hammer right now is in a miserable state. It has no damage, outdated CC and slow projectiles (common theme).

#2 Mighty / Glacial blow
- Considering the immense after-cast and long cast times on hammer, the chill doesn't do much of anything.
Increase range of Glacial Blow to 600, remove chill.

#4 Banish
- Right now, all it is good for is knocking people out of Mercy Signet (more on that later) resses. It also has less damage and a second longer cast time than Overcharged Shot. It cleanses no conditions and it's melee. It also launches people to far to be able to follow up with a Mighty Blow.
Reduce the launch to 600 range (to combo with Glacial Hammer), reduce cast time to .75 seconds (.25 buff).

Axe

Axe is in a really good spot. Maybe a little too good. It has two hard CCs if you trait for it, pulsing Fury and good damage.

#2 Symbol of Vengeance
- The Fury is excessive on this skill. It lets them switch out of Valor while still maintaining great amounts with Sword and Axe symbols.
Remove pulsing Fury and add 2 seconds of Regen per pulse (8 seconds)

The weapons are all basically op as they are- scepter on a symbol build is one of the strongest in the game even after crazy nerfs. Guardian is already op and these changes will just make all guard builds meta.

The one symbol build that is currently being used. Symbolbrand / Sagebrand both use Sword / Axe.

Lol you guys clearly haven’t seen any guardian play in the past 2 years. The symbol build your claiming is the only one in existence is the one made by Chataton- which is probably the last build seen for symbol brand. Scepter has been one of the most common weapons on symbols since Hot. You probably missed the streams of players like Ryan and Arlen getting ranks 3 and 5 respectively right when PoF came out. Scepter is completely busted on symbols and a buff will tilt the scales like crazy.

The irony of you telling someone "you clearly haven't seen any guardian play in the past 2 years"...... and then using as your example...... stuff that happened more than 2 years ago.

Clearly, you haven't seen any guardian play in the past 2 years. Scepter is not used anywhere in PvP, by anyone above Gold. It is straight up trash. The symbol on it does 'okay' damage...... if the target sits in it for the full duration. Which will literally never happen. It was clearly supposed to be combo'd with the immobilise, but these days people are farting out cleanses and immob-breaks every second, so that combo will, again, straight up never happen. And even if it does happen, it'll still do maybe 4-5k damage. Hardly OP.

And I like how you glossed over the long list of nerfs being suggested, to tunnel on the one minor buff, to a weapon that is never used anywhere, and on the basis of that decide that was is being proposed is "huge buffs".

Not used anywhere in pvp? Lol some of best Guardians in the game always use scepter. Literally the person I duo queued with always uses scepter and he was in legend after 1 day of climbing if he played the entire season he probably would’ve been god of pvp. Also 3/4 of the other actually good firebrands and guardians in Na use it.

You are literally saying scepter is never used in gold when literally all the best guardians NA use it!!! I don’t know much about What EU guys play but we literally made Gratchaton rage quit on NA by farming his kitten. Still are u going to say that scepter on symbols- One of the most op weapons in the game is not used!!??

You guys Don’t know jack about firebrand gl in gold.

Please Just Stop. You are delusional as ever my dude.

@zoopop.5630 said:

@Tharan.9085 said:@Dantheman.3589 excuse me what?

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:By following the example of Ferios I will create a post discussing the different traits, skills and weapons that are over-performing.I will mainly suggest Quality of Life and nerfs in this post, considering we all want to lower the power-creep.

Guardian

It's a slow, bruiser type class with pretty good burst potential coming out of LoS. The sustained damage is incredibly sub-par compared to other roaming damage dealers, such as Holo and Rev.At 11k base health, you're pidgeon-holed into running an Amulet with Vitality on it. Either Mender, Sage or Marauder. I feel like messing with the base health of classes is a bit out of the scope of these upcoming few patches, so I will won't touch that.

Weapons

Greatsword

Overall a great weapon. Has much needed mobility, blinds, situational CC and burst.

#2 Whirling Wrath
- It is extremely hard to hit anyone with this ability unless they are stunned by someone else, or used in conjunction with your healing skill to out-trade classes like Holosmith / Rev / War in a melee scenario. It currently slows you down by 50% during the cast.

#5 Binding Blade
- Once again, extremely difficult to hit anyone outside of melee range with this. Simply adding a velocity increase would do wonders. I would also give this skill a pulsing reveal for 3 seconds, every 3 seconds while the tether is attached. The reveal will stop pulse if you move 600 units away from the Guardian (Just like the damage does).

Scepter

#1 Orb of Wrath
- Once again, slow moving projectile. Functions the same as the old Mesmer staff Phantasm hit (before rework.

Sword

#2 Symbol of Blades
- Saw a 40% damage nerf on the initial hit last patch. It crits for around 1.2k currently on a full on glass build.

Hammer

). While I can see this being incredibly un-fun to play against and honestly flat out infuriating I wouldn't want this meta back. Even though I severely enjoy running one-shot builds.Hammer right now is in a miserable state. It has no damage, outdated CC and slow projectiles (common theme).

#2 Mighty / Glacial blow
- Considering the immense after-cast and long cast times on hammer, the chill doesn't do much of anything.

#4 Banish
- Right now, all it is good for is knocking people out of Mercy Signet (more on that later) resses. It also has less damage and a second longer cast time than Overcharged Shot. It cleanses no conditions and it's melee. It also launches people to far to be able to follow up with a Mighty Blow.
Reduce the launch to 600 range (to combo with Glacial Hammer), reduce cast time to .75 seconds (.25 buff).

Axe

Axe is in a really good spot. Maybe a little too good. It has two hard CCs if you trait for it, pulsing Fury and good damage.

#2 Symbol of Vengeance
- The Fury is excessive on this skill. It lets them switch out of Valor while still maintaining great amounts with Sword and Axe symbols.

The weapons are all basically op as they are- scepter on a symbol build is one of the strongest in the game even after crazy nerfs. Guardian is already op and these changes will just make all guard builds meta.

The one symbol build that is currently being used. Symbolbrand / Sagebrand both use Sword / Axe.

Lol you guys clearly haven’t seen any guardian play in the past 2 years. The symbol build your claiming is the only one in existence is the one made by Chataton- which is probably the last build seen for symbol brand. Scepter has been one of the most common weapons on symbols since Hot. You probably missed the streams of players like Ryan and Arlen getting ranks 3 and 5 respectively right when PoF came out. Scepter is completely busted on symbols and a buff will tilt the scales like crazy.

The irony of you telling someone "you clearly haven't seen any guardian play in the past 2 years"...... and then using as your example...... stuff that happened more than 2 years ago.

Clearly, you haven't seen any guardian play in the past 2 years. Scepter is not used anywhere in PvP, by anyone above Gold. It is straight up trash. The symbol on it does 'okay' damage...... if the target sits in it for the full duration. Which will literally never happen. It was clearly supposed to be combo'd with the immobilise, but these days people are farting out cleanses and immob-breaks every second, so that combo will, again, straight up never happen. And even if it does happen, it'll still do maybe 4-5k damage. Hardly OP.

And I like how you glossed over the long list of nerfs being suggested, to tunnel on the one minor buff, to a weapon that is never used anywhere, and on the basis of that decide that was is being proposed is "huge buffs".

Not used anywhere in pvp? Lol some of best Guardians in the game always use scepter. Literally the person I duo queued with always uses scepter and he was in legend after 1 day of climbing if he played the entire season he probably would’ve been god of pvp. Also 3/4 of the other actually good firebrands and guardians in Na use it.

You are literally saying scepter is never used in gold when literally all the best guardians NA use it!!! I don’t know much about What EU guys play but we literally made Gratchaton rage quit on NA by farming his kitten. Still are u going to say that scepter on symbols- One of the most op weapons in the game is not used!!??

You guys Don’t know jack about firebrand gl in gold.

Please Just Stop. You are delusional as ever my dude.

As delusional as ever coming from an insanely toxic dude who doesn’t even know me. Like you’ve never talked to me besides trash talk- “bad thief” stuff like that even though at the time I came back to the game I was literally highest rated thief 3 seasons in a row all solo q.

@"Zephoid.4263" said:Scepter isn't a good weapon. 3 is extremely outdated, 2 is generic, and 1 is completely awful. However, the dps scepter puts out is actually pretty good if you are getting hits. At one point, the best raid build for guard was just camping scepter since 2 out-damaged greatsword.

"Changing every single weapon", you're making it sounds like I'm asking for complete overhauls. A simple velocity bonus, so that our
only
ranged dps weapon can actually, you know, hit from more outside melee range would be fantastic. It even had its auto damage nerfed last patch.

Ignore the extraneous post- forums always have ppl trying to fight. > @Dantheman.3589 said:

Guardian

Weapons

Greatsword

#2 Whirling Wrath

#5 Binding Blade

Scepter

#1 Orb of Wrath

Sword

#2 Symbol of Blades

Hammer

#2 Mighty / Glacial blow

#4 Banish

Axe

#2 Symbol of Vengeance

Gonna clarify I think buffs to sword are excessive suggestions , hammer too. Axe nerf?? Maybe just not liking it at all. scepter is useful I think what I never liked was animations I would maybe like a fix similar to staff rework but other than that it’s fine. But pretty much what I said these changes I feel would just tilt the balance. That’s the only thing I wanna comment on atm take it or leave it

I pretty much already said that your scepter idea was right. Though your wrong because it can hit and when it does the damage can be just nutty considering how it’s a slow ranged weapon. It’s op to where nerfs aren’t out of question. My problem is just I don’t think the weapon suggestions are hitting the nail on the head- for instance I think the suggestion for GS would make GS so very OverPowered. And that’s my opinion- I’m not sure why people have to try and fight with ppl on forums it’s so counter productiveBut feel free to prove me wrong about why GS should have reveal and velocity changes. I honestly haven’t played guardian at a top tier lvl since around release. Though I feel I know some of the stuff- like how hammer used to be great.

I really feel that something is missing when guard has no reveal and about 10000 light fields. Seems like an obvious combination.

GS doesn't need anything to make it competitive. It has wonderful cast times that almost perfectly match up with rotation. My only complaint is that 3's heal amount is a complete insult (who uses GS with healing anyways???) . The old heal on hit gs trait was actually pretty good. i have no idea why it was changed.

The 3rd strike on hammer auto chain needs a total rework. 1.25s single ability on a chain is absurd and the ability in no way gives enough benefit to actually getting it off. Hammer 3 and 4 need a rework. Both have longer cast times for mediocre effect. While punting people is hilarious, the damage and prevalence of stab makes it really bad. 5 is uniquely strong, which could justify its long cast time. 2 is nerfed from its peak, but is inline with most weapon skills.

I could post up a whole brainstorming session on guard changes i would want, but it would be useless. The devs don't look here and they will take their own path. The only hope is to generate enough noise to get them to look over it.

@Zephoid.4263 said:I really feel that something is missing when guard has no reveal and about 10000 light fields. Seems like an obvious combination.

GS doesn't need anything to make it competitive. It has wonderful cast times that almost perfectly match up with rotation. My only complaint is that 3's heal amount is a complete insult (who uses GS with healing anyways???) . The old heal on hit gs trait was actually pretty good. i have no idea why it was changed.

The 3rd strike on hammer auto chain needs a total rework. 1.25s single ability on a chain is absurd and the ability in no way gives enough benefit to actually getting it off. Hammer 3 and 4 need a rework. Both have longer cast times for mediocre effect. While punting people is hilarious, the damage and prevalence of stab makes it really bad. 5 is uniquely strong, which could justify its long cast time. 2 is nerfed from its peak, but is inline with most weapon skills.

I could post up a whole brainstorming session on guard changes i would want, but it would be useless. The devs don't look here and they will take their own path. The only hope is to generate enough noise to get them to look over it.

And that’s like my point reveal seems good on a thief counter. But like GS spin and pull are like super good even it was nerfed away from meta. If we do this core guard is gonna needlessly be meta it honestly is a suggestion for a complete overhaul of half guardian weapons

@Zephoid.4263 said:Scepter isn't a good weapon. 3 is extremely outdated, 2 is generic, and 1 is completely awful. However, the dps scepter puts out is actually pretty good if you are getting hits. At one point, the best raid build for guard was just camping scepter since 2 out-damaged greatsword.

"Changing every single weapon", you're making it sounds like I'm asking for complete overhauls. A simple velocity bonus, so that our
only
ranged dps weapon can actually, you know, hit from more outside melee range would be fantastic. It even had its auto damage nerfed last patch.

Which he claimed it isn’t . But it obviously is a huge overhaul. Core guardian obviously doesn’t need buffs when that with scepter and symbols is literally enough to beat FB. I can only imagine if these changes happen we literally won’t even see FB in the meta which will cause a huge change in balance since this will also kill the already mediocre necro + FB combo

@Zephoid.4263 said:The 3rd strike on hammer auto chain needs a total rework. 1.25s single ability on a chain is absurd and the ability in no way gives enough benefit to actually getting it off. Hammer 3 and 4 need a rework. Both have longer cast times for mediocre effect. While punting people is hilarious, the damage and prevalence of stab makes it really bad. 5 is uniquely strong, which could justify its long cast time. 2 is nerfed from its peak, but is inline with most weapon skills.

Hammer 3 has always stood out like a sore thumb as the only 1200 range skill on a melee weapon kit...We're all kinda used to it at this point but fact is it's never been a well designed skill for this weapon.IMO it needs to be made into a mid-range cone-shaped attack.

@Arken.3725 said:Get-out-of-jail traits should not exist(luckily, Guardian has none of these).

Wholeheartedly agree. Defensive traits should be about presenting an opportunity to salvage something out of a mistake made. An active effort has to be made, regardless.

A fine example of this would be DH's Hunter's Determination: 1) action 2) reaction (trait proc) 3) cue for both players 4) choice (for both players). About as interactive as it gets.

The lack of cast times is an interesting one for me. Personally, I think it can be great in a 1v1 scenario, where it potentially keeps both players on their toes, and ups the skill cap of the fight. However, I think the issues these skills present become more and more noticeable in a 1 v X scenario, or a teamfight. Particularly with the offensive ones.

Now that I have time to comment, as much as I can appreciate the effort made, I disagree with quite a few of the suggested changes. I'll go over each suggestion and my opinion on it.

GreatSwordWhirling Wrath: Good suggestion but I'd also remove the projectiles and just merge the damageBinding Blade: Good suggestion.

ScepterScepter Auto: Good suggestion, being within range and still missing is terrible. This should hit barring any invulns,blocks,evades,blinds, ect.

SwordSymbol: Not sure how I feel about it.

Axe:Symbol of Vengeance: Disagree, it works considering how offensive this weapon is.

Traits:As a whole, I wholeheartedly disagree, I feel like Guardian has some of the worst traits in the game. Check this: Valor is SUPPOSED to be the defensive-line, right? Funny thing is, Honor does it FAR better and to your own teammates no less. That's just one example.

Virtues:Forget attaching it to Courage, just give it to us already.

Honor:Disagree with the Writ of Persistence suggestion. Symbols are already small as it is and they're not nearly as front-loaded as say Marks/Wells for example. Outside of FB, Core and DH have VERY few ways of keeping an enemy inside a symbol much less the benefit being significant enough to stand in it.

Skills:Hammer of Wisdom: This suggestion wouldn't do much, it would still be incredibly useless.

Mantra of Truth: Bad suggestion, here's why: Guardian has low hp, no safety traits, no stealth, less-than-average mobility, no evades on skills nor any instant invulns. This skill actually helps FB stay alive from all the Rampage and power-spike BS. Not to mention the charge-up time on every mantra is almost 3 seconds. Not to mention this is really the only source that allows Guardian to stick on their opponents due to the massive lack of cripples,chill and immobs for example.

Signet of Mercy: This is the only useful Signet Guardian has. I could see increasing the cd a tad but not almost doubling it.

Again, I appreciate the suggestions but a lot of these don't do much and would probably hinder Guardian more. Forgive me if I'm a tad biased, these are just my opinions.

Thank you for your time.

Guardian

sustained damage is incredibly sub-par compared to other roaming damage dealers.At 11k base health, you're pidgeon-holed.

Weapons

Greatsword

#2 Whirling Wrath - It is extremely hard to hit anyone with this ability

#5 Binding Blade - Once again, extremely difficult to hit anyone

Scepter

Never really been used at all in PvP

#1 Orb of Wrath - Once again, slow moving projectile.

I got this far, and remembered why I alt+f4 as quick as I can knock out daily's then go code.