Improve the mastery system

august.8016

I think it would be nice if we could choose mastery of a different type than the current ones.Instead of donating account bound abilities they could contribute to the growth of the account of several other ways.For example, it might be interesting to have a repeatable mastery that transforms all the experience gained into some sort of usable material or liquid money (similar to pvp / reward track on level up).

Mastery of this kind could make the post-level 80 progression more interesting instead of becoming just an acquisition of spirit shard.I believe that gw2 can become more coherent if the experience becomes more and more an interesting currency.

Do you think a more advanced mastery system with more choices could be interesting?

The Mastery System was designed specifically for horizontal progression to prevent newer players from feeling like there was this gigantic gap between veterans and newcomers. Allowing some sort of monetary or economical gain would ruin the entire theory on why they were used in the first place instead of increasing the level cap.

@"august.8016" said:I think it would be nice if we could choose mastery of a different type than the current ones.

Be able to pick and choose among the masteries (e.g. choose ley line gliding before gliding) or did you mean something else?

Instead of donating account bound abilities they could contribute to the growth of the account of several other ways.

I don't believe the existing system has you donating any abilities.

For example, it might be interesting to have a repeatable mastery that transforms all the experience gained into some sort of usable material or liquid money (similar to pvp / reward track on level up).

Mastery of this kind could make the post-level 80 progression more interesting instead of becoming just an acquisition of spirit shard.

Spirit Shards currently have a value of 1.2G each.

Like the ESO's champion system? Honestly, I did enjoy that end game metric especially since new toons could benefit from it as well. Though I don't know how well something like that would integrate with the fact that most the mastery points are tied into the mounts instead of actual abilities. I'd prefer something more of a refund system with the current design mostly because some masteries just weren't worth the cost (Siren of Orr, looking at you) to get.If anything though, if they did a revamp, I'd like a branching type of system installed. Like instead of the linear design of just going down the line, say like a mount update to the raptor. Like after Ravenous Strike, it branches into Blinding Strike (mobs hit are blinded), or Crippling Strike (mobs hit are crippled), goes back to Round Up being a single choice and then a branch into two different round ups, so on and so forth etc. Of course the warclaw would have branches to encompass wvw like skills that focus on players or skills that focus on the npcs/buildings as its choices.It'd give more flavor to mounts since, admit it, most tend to rely on the griffon or the skyscale for moving around. It might help to see more variety in what mounts people choose maybe? It'd also be neat to have a bonus mastery aimed at whatever faction you chose to be and have like a treasure hunt thing that does the hot/cold where you can find documents for Whispers, artifacts for Priory or weapons for Vigil that you can turn in for badges (a small amount a day can be turned in, no need to go overboard) and get access to exclusive mount skins for that faction.Though overall, if they just add a refund option to masteries, I'd be uber happy with that as well.

I am not an ESO expert but the champion points modify the statistics of the characters. This is not what I want because become a "gigantic gap between veterans and newcomers". Having the ability to customize mount skills would be a good idea but what I proposed was a simpler thing.

More than being a "real" Mastery, I would like a system that rewards progression differently from spirit shards.The value of 1 gold proposed on gw2efficency is completely fictitious because it requires many materials and a minimum of traiding capacity since those objects are almost unsellable.

The only two solutions that work for me is:

• have new optional masteries that, like the current state, provide skills for the account but have a very high amount of required experience (similar to the first iteration on Hot). Element inconsistent with the casual strategy of gw2.
  • have mastery that does not transform the experience into the possibility to have a bonus at the level up (useful for those who have now finished all the current masteries available).

the masterys are quite clearly a system that rewards leveling up.The system is currently active only by donating account bound skills but to improve it I think it is necessary to add other options.

Having some of them passive could be an opportunity to stimulate people to complete events.This wants to be a discussion on how to improve the system without forcing developers to create new skills.

Don't you think that improvements are necessary (especially for those who have completed everything)?

@august.8016 said:the masterys are quite clearly a system that rewards leveling up.

Those are progression, not rewards. They are quite different from the items and/or gold you suggested you wanted to receive when you completed a level.

The system is currently active only by donating account bound skills but to improve it I think it is necessary to add other options.

You do not donate skills in this game.

Having some of them passive could be an opportunity to stimulate people to complete events.

People already complete events. Better and/or more meaningful rewards can also stimulate people to complete events.

You also need to consider that if players were to get increased benefits from completing events, they’d stick to whatever is the most efficient similar to how DF and SW are the primary farms. It may not end up as beneficial in the long run as people will swarm to whatever is the most efficient, the value of any items that drop will plummet, and direct gold drops could cause inflation.

What kind of progression do you think is possible after level 80 without giving the player new skills or new stats for equip?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You do not donate skills in this game.

Please do not disagree on the terms, I am not a native English speakerIn any case for me an autoloot system is a clear a reward as it is to get a mount.

Personally, I'd love it if you could get mastery points for leveling up.

I have yet to fill in all of my masteries in Central Tyria, for example. Now, this is because there's a bunch of mastery points locked behind content I don't want to do. You don't do it, you don't get the reward, right? But now, the stuff that I do enjoy doing isn't getting the full reward, either. The mastery bars just sit there, progress broken because I lack the points to progress. No spirit shards can be gained.

Give us the option to earn mastery points with EXP. Make one mastery point take as long as 3 spirit shards, so actually going out to get the points directly will always be faster. No more progress blocking for people like me, and no devaluation of existing paths to mastery points.

As for the OP, what I think you really want is more things you can get with spirit shards. Imagine being able to buy a potion of reward advancement with them, or other things you might find useful. I think that's the way to go for that.

@august.8016 said:What kind of progression do you think is possible after level 80 without giving the player new skills or new stats for equip?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:You do not donate skills in this game.

Please do not disagree on the terms, I am not a native English speakerIn any case for me an autoloot system is a clear a reward as it is to get a mount.

What skills do you mean you have to donate? You mean gaining xp and unlocking the mastery with a mastery point?

Because if not, I dont know what game you are playing and you are probably on the wrong forum.

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

@august.8016 said:What kind of progression do you think is possible after level 80 without giving the player new skills or new stats for equip?

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:You do not donate skills in this game.

What skills do you mean you have to donate? You mean gaining xp and unlocking the mastery with a mastery point?

Because if not, I dont know what game you are playing and you are probably on the wrong forum.

It's a matter of wonky syntax and incorrect translation.

"The system is currently active only by donating account bound skills but to improve it I think it is necessary to add other options."The passage talks about what the mastery system gives (incorrectly translated to "donates") to players. "Skill" also being much looser than just what the game calls skills - I'm sure the meaning here is the "skill" to autoloot, or use updrafts, etc etc.

When someone tells you they're not a native speaker, look for any words that have synonyms that could be applicable - like the above give/donate. They have probably been incorrectly translated.

The passage talks about what the mastery system gives (incorrectly translated to "donates") to players. "Skill" also being much looser than just what the game calls skills - I'm sure the meaning here is the "skill" to autoloot, or use updrafts, etc etc.thank you for making this clear

@Palador.2170 said:

I have yet to fill in all of my masteries in Central Tyria, for example. Now, this is because there's a bunch of mastery points locked behind content I don't want to do. You don't do it, you don't get the reward, right? But now, the stuff that I do enjoy doing isn't getting the full reward, either. The mastery bars just sit there, progress broken because I lack the points to progress. No spirit shards can be gained.

Give us the option to earn mastery points with EXP. Make one mastery point take as long as 3 spirit shards, so actually going out to get the points directly will always be faster. No more progress blocking for people like me, and no devaluation of existing paths to mastery points.Yeah, being casual I have the same issue in Central Tyria. :(