How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race?

How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race?

Simple question. There isnt one currently in the game lore, but neither was Skyscales, Sylvari, and Warclaw and stuff like that until they were added one day by a developer/ writer.Many RPGs have done Orcs in their own unique way. One of the common request I always see for a new race to play, are always anthropomorphic creatures. Kind of tired of that personally. The Charr neck thing just,,,, nvm

But yeah I would be interesting in a Orc race of some kind instead with its own racials of course.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And what would Orc be like? Are they bunch of savage brutes? Warrior with Honor? Charr are Orc but more advanced and i prefer it that way, we have people want Tengu to be playable so i doubt they would want Anet spend resources in creating Orc, we also have Ogre and Jotun that share many similarities to Orc.Why do every fantasy setting need to have these stereotype races? Orc have been done so many time, whether in space or medieval they are always dumb savage brutes

The Sylvari were planned for years before GW2 came out--you can see the pale tree growing in GW1. As for the Skyscale and Warclaw, they are not huge pieces of lore--just side excuses to make more mounts.There are TONS of races already established in Tyria, with rich lore and background, that could be made into a new race. If they ignored all those races and instead pulled one out of the blue with some sad excuse, "Oh we just didn't discover their territory yet!" it'd be a big mistake.

Also, in order to make such a race fit into GW2, they'd have to be so drastically changed, you wouldn't recognize them as "Orc" anymore. All of the traditional "Orc" roles are filled by Charr. Plus, GW2 has a trend of doing its own thing with new races, rather than using traditional fantasy tropes like orcs and elves.

If you want an "orcish" looking character, playable Ogres would be the way to go.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:No, boring and unoriginal. It would be just one more “something that looks mostly human but with a slight difference.” If they’re going to add a new race I’d prefer they add from this game world’s existing lore, such as Tengu or Skritt, rather than shoehorning in a race from other game’s lore.

Skritt can only play one profession....you know what it is.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:No, boring and unoriginal. It would be just one more “something that looks mostly human but with a slight difference.” If they’re going to add a new race I’d prefer they add from this game world’s existing lore, such as Tengu or Skritt, rather than shoehorning in a race from other game’s lore.

where Skritts in GW1 lore?

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

No where that I know of. However they are unique to this game unlike Orcs which are in multiple games and books.

My objection is primarily relating to the lore of the game not being mixed in with the lore from other games. With unique races the story that this world has to tell is not a tired copy of other stories from other places. It homogenizes the stories when each game world has its Orcs, it’s Elves, etc instead of having their own unique races and unique stories.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

No where that I know of. However they are unique to this game unlike Orcs which are in multiple games and books.

My objection is primarily relating to the lore of the game not being mixed in with the lore from other games. With unique races the story that this world has to tell is not a tired copy of other stories from other places. It homogenizes the stories when each game world has its Orcs, it’s Elves, etc instead of having their own unique races and unique stories.

skritt are akin to dumb skavens arent they?

@Linken.6345 said:

skritt are akin to dumb skavens arent they?

Had to look it up. Skaven sounds like a cross between skritt and Asura. Lol.

The Skaven are a race of walking humanoid rats with dubious (but not to be underestimated) intelligence and a hideous feral cunning out to conquer the world in the name of their God, the Horned Rat, and also for their own personal gains.

Most media (I've seen) depicts Orcs just as somewhat anthropomorphic pigs that are simple brutes and forcefully use other races' female to reproduce.Warcraft did an extreme overhaul to the race, but that's there thing.Just because TES Orcs seem to be visually 'aligned' with the ones from WoW doesn't mean GW2 should do that as well.

Also, armour and clipping would be issues again.And we know Anet is not terribly interested in working on armours, as they would rather make outfits.