Important Dismount Fix: Rename "Lance" to Javelin or Spear

GDchiaScrub.3241

I have pushed for reinstating Demon Summoning Runes, and now I have found a new crusade that needs to be fought. This one change has been affecting many role players in World Versus World. Lances are not thrown, and yet we have been forceed to witness the inconceivable! A throw-able. Dismounting. Lance. Please rename it to something that is more immersive for the function it serves. The two notable suggestions--spear or javelin--can be thrown because I have evidence on my side to prove this.

D:

From wikipedia:

The name is derived from the word lancea - the Roman auxiliaries' javelin or throwing knife; although according to the OED, the word may be of Iberian origin. Also compare λόγχη (lónkhē), a Greek term for "spear" or "lance".

A lance in the original sense is a light throwing spear, or javelin. The English verb to launch "fling, hurl, throw" is derived from the term (via Old French lancier), as well as the rarer or poetic to lance. The term from the 17th century came to refer specifically to spears not thrown, used for thrusting by heavy cavalry, and especially in jousting. The longer types of thrusting spear used by infantry are usually referred to as pikes.

Anet just chose the rarer and more poetic version :p

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:Balance is kitten, population is kitten, rewards are kitten. Meanwhile gw2 community:

hurr durr lance, javelin, spear

Amazing.Welcome to the forum, where you can have muliple discussions going at the same time, instead of waiting in line for your turn as the first topic is resolved.

Aint technology marvelous?

Technology? No. What is truly marvelous is that ANet is gonna listen to topics like this one but totally ignore actually worthy threads with 40+ responses. This is brilliant.

@Widmo.3186 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:Balance is kitten, population is kitten, rewards are kitten. Meanwhile gw2 community:

hurr durr lance, javelin, spear

Amazing.Welcome to the forum, where you can have muliple discussions going at the same time, instead of waiting in line for your turn as the first topic is resolved.

Aint technology marvelous?

Technology? No. What is truly marvelous is that ANet is gonna listen to topics like this one but totally ignore actually worthy threads with 40+ responses. This is brilliant.

Yes, because changing a name is easier than fixing stuff they have to actually think about. And that will make ppl think that they actually read the forums.

@"Dawdler.8521" said:From wikipedia:

The name is derived from the word lancea - the Roman auxiliaries' javelin or throwing knife; although according to the OED, the word may be of Iberian origin. Also compare λόγχη (lónkhē), a Greek term for "spear" or "lance".

A lance in the original sense is a light throwing spear, or javelin. The English verb to launch "fling, hurl, throw" is derived from the term (via Old French lancier), as well as the rarer or poetic to lance. The term from the 17th century came to refer specifically to spears not thrown, used for thrusting by heavy cavalry, and especially in jousting. The longer types of thrusting spear used by infantry are usually referred to as pikes.

Anet just chose the rarer and more poetic version :p

How dare they! They're still stuck in the pre-17th century. It's time for change, and they need to come back to 2019. This game is diverse, and isn't solely Old French, Roman, nor Iberian. This will represent a step towards modernity. We have golems after all.

D:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:retreat guard skill should be called advance!!!

"i dont retreat, i simply advance in the opposite direction"

make guards scream, you cannot advance

Change 'Retreat' to 'Re-deploy'.

or just deploy.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Sovereign.1093 said:retreat guard skill should be called advance!!!

No because you don't know who the Guardian is yelling at. The Guardian could be telling the enemy to retreat

could be? come on :p there is no could be when you fight and commNd.