do you guys think a cap on persistent aoe's in an area would work?

Stand The Wall.6987

by persistent aoe's I mean anything that's pulsing, or other persistent aoe's like shades. single hit aoe's like hammer stun wouldn't be effected, neither would cascading aoe's.

if the cap is reached, the caster receives a failed to cast message. for example say its 15. it could be configured to have no overlap (meaning if the radius of your skill touches any point of the cap, it fails) or overlap (another adjustable, say allow 33% of the casters aoe to enter into the cap). could further punish target caps with skills entering interrupt cd but I don't think that would be necessary. I have no idea if this should also apply to support skills, you would think so at first but idk. I don't have the numbers to say yes or no.

editassume support aoe's and offensive aoe's have separate caps from each other.

@"Arioch.6507" said:So, you want to nerf Shades?

Looks like a nerf to anything that does pressure damage so basically only spike damage would kill. But we can't have that or the screeching monkeys will complain about getting hit for over 5k damage by "instant invisible boogyman" skills.

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:by persistent aoe's I mean anything that's pulsing, or other persistent aoe's like shades. single hit aoe's like hammer stun wouldn't be effected, neither would cascading aoe's.

if the cap is reached, the caster receives a failed to cast message. for example say its 15. it could be configured to have no overlap (meaning if the radius of your skill touches any point of the cap, it fails) or overlap (another adjustable, say allow 33% of the casters aoe to enter into the cap). could further punish target caps with skills entering interrupt cd but I don't think that would be necessary. I have no idea if this should also apply to support skills, you would think so at first but idk. I don't have the numbers to say yes or no.

Specifically this... “the caster receives a failed to cast message.”... The devs are NEVER going to force players into a situation where skills can not be used, or force a player into a scenario where they must change their class or build to play... This would be akin to the devs changing spvp matches to limit teams to 1 of each profession only.

Extremely low quality suggestion for aoe issues.

@Chaba.5410 said:I don't get what you're trying to say with how it is supposed to be different from target caps.

Edit: If I get your meaning, LOL. Good luck with that in PvE (or any of the tower/keep lords).

this is wvw only. wouldn't matter much for lords since you can just auto attack for credit, in fact it would probably raise the ttk a bit.

This is one thing I tried suggesting similarly in the past if I'm understanding you correctly. Basically, add a separate cap limit (This is different from the typical 5 targets max)... This can be described as "overall threshold of affect-able targets in total". Once that number is reached... The passive "pulsing" AoE fails or get's nerfed in some reasonable way assuming it would otherwise still be active/have time left.

• To further clarify for those who still don't get it. As an example, say we have a max number of targets per pulse, which is typically "5". With a threshold of "15" targets max. If you reach 15 targets in roughly (or exactly) 3 secs (5 targets per pulse per second). The AoE would ether cease to exist or become nerfed in some way; if it's normal time was greater than 3 seconds.

• Small extra example of how this would look: "5 max targets per pulse with a threshold of 15 targets total". Think of "15" like ammo... How many shots you can get off before you have to "reload" or swamp to a new weapon.

However, I will warn in doing this... Anytime we nerf AoEs by themselves alone outright... We risk affecting AoEs in situations to which they are not actually a problem. Think of any number of situations to where AoEs are not a problem now. Well, this could potentially make those experience's unpleasant for the sake of making other situations more pleasant. This turns into a double edge sword with something else to complain about. Therefore, I rather stray away from things like this because of that.

The conclusion I reached after considering all this and then some is this ultimately...

• IMO, each player should have a max number of AoEs that they can be affected by, at a time, by default. I don't know the perfect number of course, but players should still be able to kill other players considering we got way more than just "passive" AoEs at our disposal. This would also encourage a more active play-style over a passive one without risking nerfing AoEs in situations to where there is already no problem. And... The number can be set here for what is considered "too many AoE's" to be affecting a player by default. In order to help prevent these unpleasant situations all around; once a solid number representing "too many AoE's" is found... Leaving already pleasant gameplay situations untouched and un-nerfed.

So @Stand The Wall.6987... Personally, I do think a cap could work great. I just believe it's best done from the perspective of the player (not AoEs in general) for exactly the situations they personally find themselves in; where AoE's do involve them. That's all I got :) <3

Caps won't work, because even the existing AoE caps don't work. This is simple math, with a flat cap instead of scaling, one person can affect five people at 100% potency, that means that AoE skills will always be 3-5x stronger than any defense, that's the problem.

If all AoE in the game scaled damage, condition and CC duration instead of a hard cap, they'd become alot less powerful overnight.

“Come play wvw! It’s an awesome mode where hundreds of players battle it out across 4 maps!”

“Ok cool, let’s go!”

“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”

“WTF?”

@Clownmug.8357 said:

@acdspydar.8920 said:If you stand in 15 circles, you and 4 friends who are also standing in the same 15 AoEs deserve siege burials. Lol, you
had
to have seen that bomb coming and at least tried to dodge at some point?

Yeah they can see it coming, but only at 1-5 frames per second.

Honestly, the only time I've eaten low frame rates is when I was in stonemist with 2 other blob servers... I strongly believe that's the players unawareness if not the toaster's fault otherwise.

@acdspydar.8920 said:

@acdspydar.8920 said:If you stand in 15 circles, you and 4 friends who are also standing in the same 15 AoEs deserve siege burials. Lol, you
had
to have seen that bomb coming and at least tried to dodge at some point?

Yeah they can see it coming, but only at 1-5 frames per second.

Honestly, the only time I've eaten low frame rates is when I was in stonemist with 2 other blob servers... I strongly believe that's the players unawareness if not the toaster's fault otherwise.

There's also the server lag making any input require continuous button mashing. If dodge goes off they see a dozen "Evaded!" then die mid-animation.

@Swagger.1459 said:“Come play wvw! It’s an awesome mode where hundreds of players battle it out across 4 maps!”

“Ok cool, let’s go!”

“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”“Failed to cast”

“kitten?”

Lol... But what happened to all your other skillz?

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:“Come play wvw! It’s an awesome mode where hundreds of players battle it out across 4 maps!”

“Ok cool, let’s go!”

“kitten?”

He only tried to use 1 skill over and over, because thats how many ppl try to play the mode

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Chaba.5410 said:I don't get what you're trying to say with how it is supposed to be different from target caps.

Edit: If I get your meaning, LOL. Good luck with that in PvE (or any of the tower/keep lords).

this is wvw only. wouldn't matter much for lords since you can just auto attack for credit, in fact it would probably raise the ttk a bit.

How about just moving out of the pulsing AoE? Have you tried that?

@Whiteout.1975 said:

“Ok cool, let’s go!”

“kitten?”

Confused by the meaning of my post and need it explained to you?