Artist corner - community driven skins/outfits

Friday.7864

Why not make an artist recruitment thread, pick a certain number of creators based on quality of submissions and give them aceess to a separate non-public part of the forums.There they can submit their own ideas for weapon skins, outfits, hair styles.If you implement an idea you can credit them, give them a copy of the item and perhaps hand out some gems.

Cuz guys, a lot of the current cosmetic items and the ones you are coming up with are just... bad

@kharmin.7683 said:Why non-public?

Non public so their work doesn't get buried in spam and irrelevant comments. It's up to them tho

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:We know that ArenaNet have one of the best artists in the industry, so they dont really need that.

What takes time is actually creating the actual items we have ingame. That they cannot outsource to the community.

I'm not talking about any of that... You're completely missing the point.Outsorcing the work... Jeez. It's about skin ideas and concepts that actually look good.

@Friday.7864 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Why non-public?

Non public so their work doesn't get buried in spam and irrelevant comments. It's up to them tho

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:We know that ArenaNet have one of the best artists in the industry, so they dont really need that.

What takes time is actually creating the actual items we have ingame. That they cannot outsource to the community.

I'm not talking about any of that... You're completely missing the point.Outsorcing the work... Jeez. It's about skin ideas and concepts that actually look good.

I know what you mean, but what looks good is to everyone and themselfs.

What guarentees art made by fans is something you'd like anyway?

I love the artists work and look forward to new things they'll release ?

They've done this occasionally, usually in the form of a contest. Most recently the Design a Weapon Contest where artists submitted designs for weapons, players voted on which ones they liked best and the top 3 were made into actual weapons in-game.

That contest produced my current favourite sword for my main character, Scion's Claw. But in general I don't think the designs submitted are that much better than the ones Anet's own artists come up with. Of course it's purely subjective, and everyone has their own preferences, but if the majority of skins in GW2 aren't to your taste I don't think there's any guarantee that player submitted designs will be any better, or that the designs you like will be the ones chosen to make it into the game.

Anything would be better than the Primal warden outfit at this point...And 95% the hair choices in this game are appaling. And a huge, huge chunk of them I have never even seen being used in the game...People call this game fashion wars yet when I see some skins and hair options I feel like Anet is shooting themselves in the foot intentionally.

I loved that Design a Weapon Contest! I wish they'd add the other weapons that won it but weren't in the top 3.

As for suggestions, there's always the "GEMSTORE REQUESTS: New Items" thread where you can suggest new items or ideas you have. I'm not sure they'd want a private board of other artists concepts, that no matter how much they 'give credit' might still have a lot of legal and copyright woes/accusations/drama.

Besides, it's not like they listen that much to suggestions anyway....

@"Udolpho.1209" said:I loved that Design a Weapon Contest! I wish they'd add the other weapons that won it but weren't in the top 3.

As for suggestions, there's always the "GEMSTORE REQUESTS: New Items" thread where you can suggest new items or ideas you have. I'm not sure they'd want a private board of other artists concepts, that no matter how much they 'give credit' might still have a lot of legal and copyright woes/accusations/drama.

Besides, it's not like they listen that much to suggestions anyway....

That concept worked for ages in a previous MMO I played, just as I described it, probably still does.And when you were buying it you had the artists name next to the item "Designed by: ____"The artists were also properly rewarded so they had plenty of incentive to make great designs.

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

ummm...

Z7wWDJV.png

Yea cause one outfit is representative of the whole game, sure.

How many do you need? How about one more coming from the armor skins set on charr which makes you look like it lost in a game of Truth or Dare and was forced to wear this helmet that made him look like something that a chak just vomited out?

UDJEomP.png

Still not enough? How about the dreaded Scallywag helm on an Asura which makes it look like a bookah?

wkLcZwa.png

@Friday.7864 said:Why not make an artist recruitment thread, pick a certain number of creators based on quality of submissions and give them aceess to a separate non-public part of the forums.There they can submit their own ideas for weapon skins, outfits, hair styles.Because the work involved vetting the garbage to find one good entry likely dwarfs the work involved in them just creating a new set.

@"Friday.7864" said:That concept worked for ages in a previous MMO I played, just as I described it, probably still does.And when you were buying it you had the artists name next to the item "Designed by: ____"The artists were also properly rewarded so they had plenty of incentive to make great designs.

What MMO is that? I don't disagree with you that that sounds awesome, and would be a lot of fun.

My impression is that it's not the lack of ideas/concepts, it's the lack of being able to implement them, whether it's time or resources. Or maybe it's a conscious decision based on min/maxing profits vs effort. Just thinking of the endless number of things that people have asked for... When's the last time they added hair? They've seemed to almost abandoned the idea of armor skins. What about cultural armor, like the NPCs have had since launch?

I feel like they do watch and listen to player ideas... yet little seems to actually happen.

@Melech.4308 said:How many do you need? How about one more coming from the armor skins set on charr which makes you look like it lost in a game of Truth or Dare and was forced to wear this helmet that made him look like something that a chak just vomited out?

Still not enough? How about the dreaded Scallywag helm on an Asura which makes it look like a bookah?

This is what I mean about implementation. Having players design the concept art for those wouldn't help anet implement it in-game for every race. I agree with you: they really drop the ball a lot of the time, even though those look like older examples when they barely ever got things right for Charr/Asura (they've only gotten slightly better, by occasionally considering tails and ears).

Especially when we're talking armor. At least with weapons, they only have to size them up or down and not change whole shapes and proportions...

@Jokel.5164 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:To be fair Scallywag helm make all races look like a bookah

To be fair, I like it ? No joke, I think it looks cool.

I would’ve loved the other community weapons too though. I agree on that!

I seriously considered using it on my asuran guardian, because I think it would be pretty funny that she's so short (min height) and then wearing this massive helm to look taller. But I decided that clashed with my original idea of making her as small as possible, because I liked the idea of a tiny girl holding off hordes of enemies with a giant sword.

Which is another weird problem I had - normally I think there's far too many greatswords which look absurdly over-sized, but when my goal was "biggest sword possible" suddenly none of them were quite big enough, and not just because they were scaled down to asuran size. She's using the Pact Greatsword which is very wide, but ideally I'd like something a bit longer too.

Things like that are one reason I'm not convinced by declarations that all the skins of a certain type, or most of the ones in the game look terrible. It's hugely dependant on your own tastes, your character and what you want them to look like. I've even had things I've previewed on my female human ranger and thought it looked ridiculous, then I try it on my female norn engineer and decide actually it looks good (and vice versa). Same player, same base character model, big difference in height and a slight difference in build but I doubt that makes much difference. What I suspect does make a big difference is their colour scheme and my concept of who they are and what they'd wear. In real life I'll sincerely compliment other people on clothing that looks really good on them even though I would never want to wear it and think it would look terrible on me. It's the same with my characters.

@Danikat.8537 said:It's hugely dependant on your own tastes, your character and what you want them to look like.Exactly so. For my part, though, I haven't liked very many outfits thus far, so I feel that I am limited by choice since armor sets aren't produced as readily and I'm unable to mix/match to make a look that I would really enjoy.

More's the pity. :(

I used to plat a game that had something like a “player forge” I think it was called. Players could make their own desired skins to see in the cash shop, and a certain amount of them would be approved and put into the game. These items were released themselves and didn’t count in the regular schedule of shop items, so there were more things in the end to buy cough cough