Upcoming Changes to Fall Damage and Revival

Robert Gee.9246

@"Robert Gee.9246" said:

Necromancer

• Terrifying Descent: This trait has been reworked. It has been renamed to "Insidious Disruption". It now causes control effects to inflict torment on foes.
  • Signet of Undeath: Reduced recharge to 75 seconds in all game modes. Reduced cast time from 3 seconds to 1.5 seconds. Reduced number of allies revived from 3 to 1. Added additional health cost of 50% of base health to this skill. Increased passive lifeforce gain by 100%.

For pve heal scourges could it please retain 3 targets? Give 15% health cost per target to have overall same cost but please don't nuke pve players for WvW sins (the whole either self or shade already made heal scourge worse -- it could have been 10 targets self, 5+5 if shade is present for pve only)

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only people able to make a rule limiting how much utility a single trait can give is ANET, so why doesn't ANET just give itself permission to add additional utility to these traits, and leave the falling damage reduction as is for those who wish to use it?

After all, if they serve only a 'niche' function, it can't really have an impact on balance, no matter what additional functionality you add to those traits, right?

@Tyga.7056 said:I don't see why people complain about the removal of fall damage traits. If you can't do a jumping puzzle without, you dont deserve to finish that. As simple as it is. Also who wants passive skill activation for example in WvW. Just start playing the game properly and stop complaining about things that require no active skill usage, you can easily fix that issue by using your brain while you play :)

Actually fall damage has a significant place in WvW play. It is not about playing “wrong”, it is about being able to take jumps that others cannot; useful as a smaller group/roamer trying to get away from the Zerg pursuit, or getting to someone below that thinks they are safe because of height, just to name a few uses. It IS using the brain to play.

@Robert Gee.9246 For all the reasons mentioned previously, this seems really a bad idea. It is treating all game modes as if they were the same, here balancing around open world options and neglecting the distinctions between the various modes and content. this very kind of thing is why so many on the forum say that you all in the balance team only balance for X mode.

Is this a joke??? Seriously the usless big border land needs this fall damage reduction. If people are not using this than its not other people problems.Seriously Arenanet I though you are created some serious teams for all game aspects....this fall damage reduction exists already a long time and it has its place in this game....stop making usless updates start to improve we want and need more player in this game...Maybe make it possible that the build templates can use legendary parts on all characters at the same time...because legendaries are currently just expensive skins and runes and sigills are more or less usless legendary things since the templates update.Nothing is ment to be rude i dont want to attack you guys but after years in this game and a lot people who left im a little bit disappointed, templates have been a step forward but way to expensive and destroying the benefit of a legendar. Pls dont take the falling damage away pls.

@Robert Gee.9246 said:Elementalist

• Glyph of Renewal: Reduced recharge to 90 seconds in all game modes. Lowered cast time from 3.25 seconds to 2 seconds.

Mesmer

• Medic's Feedback: This trait no longer increases revival speed. It now causes Feedback to revive allies inside it by 5% per second.

You want overpowered revivals? Because this is how you get overpowered revivals.

Do I have to remind you that Glyph of Renewal Earth is basically warrior Battle Standard without the banner (90sec CD with 3 targets vs 180Cd with 5 targets)? Or that Mesmer can double cast Feedback and trait it to last and extra 2 seconds?

It's disheartening to see the feedback others have on WvW play; I haven't messed with that game mode but I would not want those changes if I was a WvW player. The issues with JPs and raid encounters impact me too, and they're frustrating, but I haven't seen mention yet of the impact these changes have on the simplest, yet one of the core experiences of this game for beginning players, and those who just love the exploration element of GW2 that make this game stand out from competitors.

When I first started playing GW2 the most appealing part of the game to me was how much fun it was to roam the world on my own and just explore, finding secrets and hidden areas, looking for paths to difficult-to-reach POIs. I still love mapping, though I sometimes feel bad when speed completing with my mounts, but I did complete 100% on one toon with a f2p account, so I had that experience once and it was very rewarding. I had to work for it, try and fail and yes, die to fall damage for misjudging distances. Fall damage reduction traits enhanced my open world experience--it's a small thing, but it makes you feel powerful, and it was different from previous MMO experiences I had. It gave you the freedom to make a few mistakes (and laugh at yourself when you find out the limits). The love for exploration that GW2 encouraged made me stay, buy the expacs and past LS episodes, and get involved with high-level/endgame content.

This change really feels bad and honestly, unnecessary and malicious. It's yet another blow in the ongoing series of "screw you"'s to f2p players, and detracts from one of the aspects that made this game unique. To the people saying "play the game right" by not taking an optional trait ...honestly, I don't know what made you just...hate having fun? But you're completely free to not use the traits/skills that apply fall damage decrease. Except when you no longer have that choice, because "niche traits", part of the uniqueness of GW2 classes--which are supposed to be highly customizable to the play style YOU prefer--keep getting removed for the sake of "simplicity." If I want simplicity, I can play another game. Please reconsider.

@Robert Gee.9246 said:

While fall damage reduction traits were useful when the game first launched we feel that they are currently over-complicating trait descriptions in a post-glider/mount world. Falling damage reduction is already pretty niche and in the past we have added additional functionality to make them more generally useful. However for most of these traits, that bonus functionality eventually became the main reason to take the trait. At this point we felt it just makes more sense to remove the fall damage portion, which leaves some design space if we want to buff these traits in the future.

While I understand your reasoning for these changes in pve, this will be a great loss for wvw (not sure about pvp as I dont play that mode). The Falling Damage reduction and related functionality may not be very useful in pve (besides in jumping puzzles) where aerial mounts and gliding are common counters to falling damage now, this doesnt apply to wvw, where there are no aerial mounts and gliding is also only available in territories you own.

I always had great fun playing my aerial assault/interrupt build on warrior and would wish that this trait functionality wont be gutted.If you already do skill splits for pve and competitive modes, maybe consider doing trait splits as well.

Some other solutions may be to add falling damage reduction back to runes of the snowfall or make it available through other sources, sigils, food/nourishments or even infusions (5% falling damage reduction per infusion slotted)

I would also like to keep my interrupt when taking falling damage somehow.

So no update to Merciful Intervention the real broken rez skill in gw2? For the rez update it seems a bit miss guided as your nerfing effects and skill that are already not that used often but not touching rez skills that are borderline game / balancing braking.

As for fall dmg i am not sure if the game is going to be able to be redone for it. As there many places in the game where fall dmg is part of the game. Ppl can gliding and even fly but not all of the time and the times they cant IS a massive balance point by having the risk of taking some dmg (for combat) or death.

Also removing knock back or banshese deaths from wvw / spvp is just a massive cut of fun from the game. Please rethink this.

Not sure how I feel about these changes. I think getting rid of fall damage reduction might be a bit problematic for some newer players. The reason being that, yes for veteran players fall damage is not really a big deal with gliding and mounts in PVE...but it could possibly be very frustrating for beginner players who are new to the game and who may not have POF or HOT yet. Also in WvW fall damage is def an issue unless you have gliding unlocked...and even with it there are still limitations. I agree with some other players on here...While I appreciate the work put in, removing it does not seem to add any benefit to players.

@YTKafka.4681 said:

Elementalist
  • Glyph of Renewal: Reduced recharge to 90 seconds in all game modes. Lowered cast time from 3.25 seconds to 2 seconds.

Mesmer
  • Medic's Feedback: This trait no longer increases revival speed. It now causes Feedback to revive allies inside it by 5% per second.

You want overpowered revivals? Because this is how you get overpowered revivals.

Do I have to remind you that Glyph of Renewal Earth is basically warrior Battle Standard without the banner (90sec CD with 3 targets vs 180Cd with 5 targets)? Or that Mesmer can double cast Feedback and trait it to last and extra 2 seconds?

It doesn't really matter because guards have MI

@"Vegeta.2563" said:

we feel that they are currently over-complicating trait descriptions

What's complicated about "reduces fall damage by 50%" ?

Removing the fall damage trait is going to make doing some jumping puzzles impossible to complete. For example someone without a mount or glider doing the Silverwastes JP, that requires you to jump down to reach a checkpoint needs the fall damage reduction part of the trait to survive. There is no way around it.

I believe they should remain in PvE at the very least.

Like to jo on the forest bl. You have to jump through the waterfall and land on a ledge. Even with a tanky toonand drip reduction it take a lot of my health. No most wilkjust die

And what about people without gliding. Anet's middle finger to new .players. There were many vistas back in the day that had me in tears untill I found out you could mitigate fall damage I find this just another stupid change for change sake. "LOOK AT US, WE ARE DOING SOMETHING" I say take it out when you have something better to offer

It almost seems like everytime we get a "Fix" it removes more nuance from the classes. Im growing more fearful of homogenization and the idea that everyone has to be the same, a lot of what made this game fun was how unique each class was and what it brought to the table and how well it meshed with the combat system. Now there is A LOT of classes/specs that just feel terrible to use and terrible to play. Please.... fix this? (Hell even a lot of ranger pets feel terrible with how dated they are, same with necromancer minions. And so on~)

The fall damage reduction removal could've been saved until you guys actually came up with something to replace what you're taking away. This is a pointless change and does nothing to fix what is actually wrong with certain game modes. You're reducing the utility of traits for certain classes who utilize them as an escape method in WVW. This is going to hurt roaming and further encourage mindless zerging, yet again.

These are really good changes in a competitive environment, I would love to see rally removed from the PvP game modes as well. It's usually the culprit to team fights snowballing. With all the changes to revive based skills this can introduce very healthy fight durations as well as finally some incentive to prioritize better approaches to team utility.

@"Robert Gee.9246" said:Hey folks,

I wanted to pop in today to give you all a preview of some upcoming changes to fall damage and revival that we'll be rolling out in an upcoming balance update. The quick summary is that we are removing trait functionality that reduces fall damage and increases passive revival speed.

While fall damage reduction traits were useful when the game first launched we feel that they are currently over-complicating trait descriptions in a post-glider/mount world. Falling damage reduction is already pretty niche and in the past we have added additional functionality to make them more generally useful. However for most of these traits, that bonus functionality eventually became the main reason to take the trait. At this point we felt it just makes more sense to remove the fall damage portion, which leaves some design space if we want to buff these traits in the future.

For revival traits we want to focus more of that power onto active revival rather than simply increasing the speed of "press F to revive". You may have noticed that we've slowly been removing some of these traits already as was the case with the Tactics rework. We like how revival traits like Necromancer Transfusion and Elementalist Arcane Resurrection actively tap into existing skills and augment them so we added similar functionality to a few other revival traits when we removed the revival speed increase. In addition you'll also see some improvements to skills which revive allies directly.

Here's the list of changes by profession:

Elementalist

• Arcane Abatement: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait. Renamed to "Arcane Restoration."
  • Arcane Resurrection: This trait no longer increases revival speed. Auras granted by this trait are now granted only to the elementalist at the start of a revival attempt rather than at the end. This effect has a 20 second cooldown.

Engineer

• Grenadier: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait. Additionally this trait now casts Lesser Grenade Barrage on your location when using a healing skill.

Guardian

• Protectors Impact: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait. Renamed to "Protector's Restoration".
  • Signet of Mercy: Reduced recharge to 90 seconds in all game modes. Changed passive effect from granting 180 healing power (216 when traited) to granting 120 concentration (150 when traited).
  • Protective Reviver: This trait no longer increases revival speed and no longer grants boons on a successful revival. Fixed skill fact to show correct 3 second duration. Fixed a bug which prevented the recharge of Lesser Shield of Absorption from being affected by Stalwart Defender. Lesser Shield of Absorption now heals nearby allies when it ends. This trait now causes all versions of Shield of Absorption to revive allies by 15% when it detonates.
  • Courageous Return: This trait has been reworked and it has been renamed to "Stalwart Courage". It grants the guardian Protection for 3 seconds whenever aegis on the guardian is removed due to blocking an attack.

Mesmer

• Descent into Madness: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait. Renamed to "Method of Madness"

Necromancer

• Terrifying Descent: This trait has been reworked. It has been renamed to "Insidious Disruption". It now causes control effects to inflict torment on foes.
  • Signet of Undeath: Reduced recharge to 75 seconds in all game modes. Reduced cast time from 3 seconds to 1.5 seconds. Reduced number of allies revived from 3 to 1. Added additional health cost of 50% of base health to this skill. Increased passive lifeforce gain by 100%.

Ranger

• Soften the Fall: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait. Renamed to "Child of Earth"
  • Allies' Aid: This trait no longer increases revival speed. Reduced cooldown of this trait from 85 seconds to 60 seconds. Fixed a bug which caused the version of "Search and Rescue!" associated with this trait to be considered a Shout skill instead of a Command.

Revenant

• Planar Protection: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait.

Thief

• Uncatchable: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait.

Warrior

• Peak Performance: Removed fall damage functionality from this trait. Reduced conditional damage bonus from 20% to 15% in PvE and 10% to 7% in competitive modes. Now grants 5% bonus damage baseline in PvE and 3% bonus damage in competitive modes.

There is a big problem fall damage traits are needed for one of the jumping puzzles