How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race?

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:You do realize orcs are anthropomorphic, right? What would they add for which working on another feature would not be a better use of resources?

How so?

??? How are orcs anthropomorphic?

The definition of the word is having human characteristics. The definition I pulled up was bears so if we take dictionaries to be true we are talking the basics: 4 appendages, a head, a body, stuff like that. Orcs MORE than meet those qualifications!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want any new races. I rather they polished Male Sylvari and Charr armor and gave Sylvari unique animations and whatever other QoL improvements they can think of for current races. I do however want a Skritt Combat Tonic that uses Charr animations which shouldn't be too difficult.

I really like some versions of orcs - I'm especially fond of the ones in Warhammer 40k/Gorkamorka. But I don't think that GW2 would benefit from having them introduced. I don't see what they could do with them that they couldn't do better with one of the existing races.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:One of the common request I always see for a new race to play, are always anthropomorphic creatures. Kind of tired of that personally.

From what I've seen the most commonly requested playable race is tengu, and skritt seem to be popular as well. Those are both less anthropomorphic than orcs.

The Charr neck thing just,,,, nvmWhat is "the charr neck thing"?!

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:I like the idea of adding new races, both playable and otherwise, but I'd rather not see orcs because (as many other people have said) they're too common at this point.

The thing which originally got me interested in Guild Wars was the charr, specifically the fact that they didn't look like anything I'd seen before. There's so many fantasy games, even some fairly original ones, where I can go through most their creatures with a DnD Monster Manual and a book on folklore and say "So it's this creature, but with X changed to Y".

I have to disagree, since Charr pretty much are a race of creatures from DnD just like Orcs are, just with a different name. In fact many MMOs also have Charr like creatures just with different names for them going back to Dungeons and Dragons.

Which DnD race? (Not saying you're wrong; genuinely curious.)

@"Poormany.4507" said:Hard no - Orcs are way too overdone in fantasy MMOs and they're almost every single time a boring, uncultured, savage race that serves as trash mobs. There's so many better and more unique options that are already in GW2 for playable races (Kodan, Tengu, Dwarf, Largos, etc.).

Tengu directly come from DnDhttp://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/d-d-races#tengu

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:I really like some versions of orcs - I'm especially fond of the ones in Warhammer 40k/Gorkamorka. But I don't think that GW2 would benefit from having them introduced. I don't see what they could do with them that they couldn't do better with one of the existing races.

I like the Warborn from Archeage. Very Orc like, which is why I made this thread. I could rock with the male Warborn in GW2 if added.

you know,, the charr neck thing. ...

@"Danikat.8537" said:I like the idea of adding new races, both playable and otherwise, but I'd rather not see orcs because (as many other people have said) they're too common at this point.

The thing which originally got me interested in Guild Wars was the charr, specifically the fact that they didn't look like anything I'd seen before. There's so many fantasy games, even some fairly original ones, where I can go through most their creatures with a DnD Monster Manual and a book on folklore and say "So it's this creature, but with X changed to Y".

I have to disagree, since Charr pretty much are a race of creatures from DnD just like Orcs are, just with a different name. In fact many MMOs also have Charr like creatures just with different names for them going back to Dungeons and Dragons.

Litorian race from DnD with Dragonborn neck == Charr in GW2

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Poormany.4507" said:Hard no - Orcs are way too overdone in fantasy MMOs and they're almost every single time a boring, uncultured, savage race that serves as trash mobs. There's so many better and more unique options that are already in GW2 for playable races (Kodan, Tengu, Dwarf, Largos, etc.).

Tengu directly come from DnD

tengu are adaptations of mythical creatures. As many other D&D monsters, which also drew heavily from literature. And many franchises drew from D&D, from which in return D&D drew. It is called culture - google it some time. Not to mention anthropomorphic beasts (btw, if you want to use "fancy" words, maybe understand what they mean first?) do not require that much imagination. Maybe go away to some D&D or more traditional fantasy franchise then? I mean, since day one you campaigned for everything wow and stuff has in GW2. Maybe just go someplace else for your fix?

@Algreg.3629 said:

tengu are adaptations of mythical creatures. As many other D&D monsters, which also drew heavily from literature. And many franchises drew from D&D, from which in return D&D drew. It is called culture - google it some time. Not to mention anthropomorphic beasts (btw, if you want to use "fancy" words, maybe understand what they mean first?) do not require that much imagination. Maybe go away to some D&D or more traditional fantasy franchise then? I mean, since day one you campaigned for everything wow and stuff has in GW2. Maybe just go someplace else for your fix?

you say this but yet you ok with races and creatures that are also from other franchises. WoW didnt invent Orcs either, just like GW2 didnt invent Tengu. Shoot people said the same argument you just did about Greatswords being in the game. "Hey you want Greatswords in GW2, go back to WoW", yet Greatsword is the most popular weapon in the game. Same deal with Raids, and Mounts. shoot we can take it a step further, I remember when people would tell you go back to WoW for requesting rifles....

@Hashberry.4510 said:

@Thalimae.3406 said:Hard NO for me. I like that GW2 doesn't have the usual cliché fantasy races, save for humans obviously. But no elves, no orcs and they even got (mostly) rid of the dwarves with Eye of the North.

This is pretty funny when the game is loaded with vampires and zombies =) .

gw2 got vampires and zombies were?

@Linken.6345 said:

@Thalimae.3406 said:Hard NO for me. I like that GW2 doesn't have the usual cliché fantasy races, save for humans obviously. But no elves, no orcs and they even got (mostly) rid of the dwarves with Eye of the North.

Orr is crawling with them.

@Hashberry.4510 said:

Vampires? Where in Orr? Under what name?

@Hashberry.4510 said:

Oh you mean the undead well they are called Risen.Might say they are the gw2 version of zombies but vampires?

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:No, boring and unoriginal. It would be just one more “something that looks mostly human but with a slight difference.” If they’re going to add a new race I’d prefer they add from this game world’s existing lore, such as Tengu or Skritt, rather than shoehorning in a race from other game’s lore.

yep, if there is a new race, it should be distinct. not just a different flavor of human. I'd vote tengu. And from what I understand, there was already work done towards tengu being playable, but it was cut relatively late in the game's development.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Tommo Chocolate.5870" said:I really like some versions of orcs - I'm especially fond of the ones in Warhammer 40k/Gorkamorka. But I don't think that GW2 would benefit from having them introduced. I don't see what they could do with them that they couldn't do better with one of the existing races.

I like the Warborn from Archeage. Very Orc like, which is why I made this thread. I could rock with the male Warborn in GW2 if added.

I've just Googled them. I don't see any real similarity with orcs personally - but if you want a character that looks similar in GW2, just make a norn or human and give them some horns from the gem store, e.g. Dragon Horns or Skyscale Horns.

Also, I recommend you look up the word 'anthropomorphic'. I do not think it means what you think it means.

you know,, the charr neck thing. ...

I obviously don't know, which is why I asked!

Litorian race from DnD with Dragonborn neck == Charr in GW2

I see that there's a little similarities, but litorians look much more like generic cat people to me, and charr have several prominent features that litorians don't: including horns, completely different ears, and a very different body shape, especially their torsos. I've no idea what you're getting at with dragonborn, who don't seem to have much in the way of necks at all.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

Tengu come from Japanese mythology and folklore. Claiming that they come from D&D is like claiming that phoenixes come from Harry Potter.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:might as well add Ninjas, Terminators and Jedi while you are at it.

Daredevil, Scrapper, Holosmith

.....dot...dot....dot....

Ninjas=Daredevil I'll give you, but the other two are hilariously weak!The scrappers makes things like drones, Terminators are humaniod robots.The only thing vaguely Jedi about Holosmith is the sword, which is really just a skin, so any sword wielder can use it.Please, expand on how the two engineer elite specs represent humanoid killer robots and a religious order of space wizards, respectively.

How about we turn this around: why should there be an orc race? What do you like about the idea?

@"Knighthonor.4061" - you've said you would be interested in having orcs added to GW2, and listed off various things already in the game which either resemble something in other franchises or were added without any prior hints in lore, but you've not said anything about why orcs should be added or why you'd be interested in the idea. Which means at the moment there's absolutely nothing to persuade anyone to support the idea except their own preconceptions about what orcs would add to the game, which doesn't seem to be much.

So, persuade us. Tell us why you think it's an interesting idea and why it would make GW2 better.

Also for what it's worth the poll options don't exactly inspire much optimism. We've got "I wouldn't mind", "I don't want orcs in this game" and "anthropomorphic creatures should be the only new playable races" so two no options and one indifferent - that, plus the total lack of reasons to support the idea in the first post almost sets it up to fail. It's an interesting reversal of the usual problems with polls on forums, normally there's a clear option supporting the OP and then indifferent or insulting options for disagreeing (e.g. "Yes this is great idea!" vs. "No I hate fun").