Respawn rate is unpredictable, can be way too fast

More than once I've been killing a group of mobs (let's say three) and the first one I killed will respawn before I finish off the other two, then after the initial 3 are all dead and I'm working on the freshly respawned one, the other two respawn as well, turning a 3 mob group into 6. I can't think of why it would do that. It should probably NOT do that!

Usually mobs will stay dead for several minutes. It's just huge outliers like this that make it very frustrating to do content sometimes, and there seems to be no way to predict it, since there's never anyone else around when it happens. Maybe the game is trying to respawn an enemy that's still alive and gets stuck trying to respawn it, so it happens immediately when the mob dies?

• Like 1

@McFrugal.7540 said:More than once I've been killing a group of mobs (let's say three) and the first one I killed will respawn before I finish off the other two, then after the initial 3 are all dead and I'm working on the freshly respawned one, the other two respawn as well, turning a 3 mob group into 6. I can't think of why it would do that. It should probably NOT do that!

Usually mobs will stay dead for several minutes. It's just huge outliers like this that make it very frustrating to do content sometimes, and there seems to be no way to predict it, since there's never anyone else around when it happens. Maybe the game is trying to respawn an enemy that's still alive and gets stuck trying to respawn it, so it happens immediately when the mob dies?

In which map is this? What are you killing?

Its not the same mobs respawning, they all have timers of ~3 minutes, The problem is that mobs are capped by area, and they re-use spawn locations, so when the game starts respawning mobs in that area up to the cap, they can spawn in the same place.

Its standard for MMOs; GW2 seems to use alot of re-used algorithms internally.

This doesn't happen to me very much in Core Tyria, but the Branded out in the Crystal Desert are horrible with this. Usually it's the Devourers around chests and other objectives; you think you've gotten them all and start to loot, but get interrupted by a single respawned mob who, when killed, is immediately replaced by four more because their respawn timer is too low.

Not impossible to navigate, but I'd rather not have to develop a new tactical strategy every ten feet to loot two blues and an Eye of Kormir.

For something like this, we should probably just compile a list of the areas/mobs/POIs where this happens the most, since I don't think changing respawn rates across the board is the right solution. Sometimes it makes sense to have things come back quickly, and sometimes it can be exploited (or hampering to gameplay). If we can point to specific issues in specific areas, maybe ArenaNet can look into making some adjustments.

• Like 1

I really doubt they will take the time to "fix" specific respawn times at specific locations. I actually like the fast respawns. It would be much more annoying if the spawns are slow and you have to wait and compete for them like in many other mmos. A chest here and there that makes you kill some additional mobs is bearable. Keep in mind some chests actually spawn extra mobs on purpose when you try to open them.

Okay, here's specifically where it happened, two times yesterday:Once at the Second Aetherblade Site's jumping puzzle at the spot where you first get onto the ship and there are three aetherblades there just after some boxes and a flame hazard from the side. That was DEFINITELY a double spawn.The second time was during the "Destroy Psylithium Generators to free Quaggan prisoners" event in Bloodtide Coast. There were some Inquest around a generator I wanted to kill so I started clearing them out, then more spawned on top of me, which seemed like the same mobs but it was underwater so that's harder to be sure of.

I feel like three minutes is too short if there's any backtracking required. In most cases it seems like the devs placed mobs where backtracking isn't too terrible though.