How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@"Thalimae.3406" said:Hard NO for me. I like that GW2 doesn't have the usual cliché fantasy races, save for humans obviously. But no elves, no orcs and they even got (mostly) rid of the dwarves with Eye of the North.

This is pretty funny when the game is loaded with vampires and zombies =) .

gw2 got vampires and zombies were?

Orr is crawling with them.

Vampires? Where in Orr? Under what name?

Vampires in expansion areas, for ex. Pile of Guano HP in Verdant Brink. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vampire_Beast

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:might as well add Ninjas, Terminators and Jedi while you are at it.

Daredevil, Scrapper, Holosmith

.....dot...dot....dot....

Ninjas=Daredevil I'll give you, but the other two are hilariously weak!The scrappers
makes
things like drones, Terminators
are
humaniod robots.The
only
thing vaguely Jedi about Holosmith is the sword, which is really just a skin, so
any
sword wielder can use it.Please, expand on how the two engineer elite specs represent humanoid killer robots and a religious order of space wizards, respectively.

Holosmith utilize LIGHT for their gadget so it wouldn't surprise anyone if they could create a Lightsaber/Blaster (still impressive though) but making a Lightsaber doesn't mean you are a Jedi, in fact Engineers are Jedi Pretenders than a real one, needing gadget to do what Jedi can do (want Force Push? Magnetic Inversion for ya). So until Engineer can Force Persuade us to think otherwise, they are not Jedi.

@Ultramex.1506 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:might as well add Ninjas, Terminators and Jedi while you are at it.

Daredevil, Scrapper, Holosmith

.....dot...dot....dot....

Ninjas=Daredevil I'll give you, but the other two are hilariously weak!The scrappers
makes
things like drones, Terminators
are
humaniod robots.The
only
thing vaguely Jedi about Holosmith is the sword, which is really just a skin, so
any
sword wielder can use it.Please, expand on how the two engineer elite specs represent humanoid killer robots and a religious order of space wizards, respectively.

Holosmith utilize LIGHT for their gadget so it wouldn't surprise anyone if they could create a Lightsaber/Blaster (still impressive though) but making a Lightsaber doesn't mean you are a Jedi, in fact Engineers are Jedi Pretenders than a real one, needing gadget to do what Jedi can do (want Force Push? Magnetic Inversion for ya). So until Engineer can Force Persuade us to think otherwise, they are not Jedi.

You meaning like Moa Tonic that persuade enemies into thinking they really a bird?

IT would be very bland and i think out of gw2 lore.We already have something close to what orcs are in other games which are basically the charr (which imo are much better than simple orcs)We also have the asura which are a strange race too.

That said there are probably other races that could be just as neat such as Tengu (Which have their own private citiy)or Stone-dwarves (whom are still underground dealing with the destroyers) which would be much more fitting and are currently still in the game although you rarely see them around.

Overall this game has a few cool races they could pull from if they really wanted to expand upon that as a future feature. That said new races stuff is very costly if you want to do it right and i just dont see that happening.Either you get it right where all or most armors in the game are redesigned to fit that new race or the race gets locked its own basic racial armor and anything that comes out after the race's release which will leave fashion high and dry for a while.

Would it be a nice surprise to learn that one of the major reasons for the perceived lack of content is due to Anet working on a new race and all that comes with that task (the aforementioned armor re-designs, personal story, etc)? If so, and once released, how many complainers would applaud the effort -- or would many still find things to complain about?

@LadyKitty.6120 said:

@"Thalimae.3406" said:Hard NO for me. I like that GW2 doesn't have the usual cliché fantasy races, save for humans obviously. But no elves, no orcs and they even got (mostly) rid of the dwarves with Eye of the North.

gw2 got vampires and zombies were?

Orr is crawling with them.

Vampires? Where in Orr? Under what name?

Vampires in expansion areas, for ex. Pile of Guano HP in Verdant Brink.

He said Orr and that’s not Orr. It’s possible he managed to confuse Orr with Verdant Brink, I suppose, However a few vampire bat like animals is not what I think of when someone says the game is “loaded with Vampires” in a discussion of playable races. lol.

But thanks for the link.

@TarkaPop.4685 said:I think the Gelatinous Cube from D&D should be introduced as a playable race.

I would genuinely like that, but I'm not sure how practical it would be once the novelty value wore off.

I used to role-play with someone whose character was a sentient DnD slime, but that was free-form role-playing on a forum so there was a lot more flexibility to accommodate weird characters.

If we ever do get another race my hope is Tengu. Especially because then my next character could be a tengu called Seahawk and he'd be my 12th man.

@"kharmin.7683" said:Would it be a nice surprise to learn that one of the major reasons for the perceived lack of content is due to Anet working on a new race and all that comes with that task (the aforementioned armor re-designs, personal story, etc)? If so, and once released, how many complainers would applaud the effort -- or would many still find things to complain about?

"ARMOR CLIPPING ARMOR CLIPPING"

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:I always liked & respected Guild Wars lore because it wasn't so Tolkien based..

Shouldn't you say "Germanic-based"?Because that's where elves and dwarves come from.And the word may Orc derive from the Ork in the Austran folklore.The behaviour of classic (non-WoW derived) Orcs as brutish uncivilized races also resemble the Japanese Oni and the Norse Jötun (which as a GW2 race also have a spiritual aspect like WoW-Orcs have).

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:I always liked & respected Guild Wars lore because it wasn't so Tolkien based..

Shouldn't you say "Germanic-based"?Because that's where elves and dwarves come from.And the word may Orc derive from the Ork in the Austran folklore.The behaviour of classic (non-WoW derived) Orcs as brutish uncivilized races also resemble the Japanese Oni and the Norse Jötun (which as a GW2 race also have a spiritual aspect like WoW-Orcs have).

Yes, there's nothing new under the sun, everything comes from somewhere, yadda yadda yadda. But it is undeniable that Tolkien's writing codified Elves, Orcs and Dwarves in a way that was copied by a lot of fantasy settings in various forms of entertainment. Like, Germanic elves are very different than Tolkien's Elves so when people are talking about playable races in MMOs they are not talking about the former but a variation of the latter.

@Hashberry.4510 said:

I'm not sure that they would be considered "the usual cliché fantasy races" in the scenario we are actually talking about but that's aside the point cause neither of these are playable races which is the point of this discussion after all. And as others have pointed out the comparison is rather flimsy to begin with when you count bat-monsters as "vampires". Yes, technically they are named that but that doesn't make them what people associate with the term in a fantasy setting. Heck, real life has literal "vampire bats" as well but that doesn't mean that vampires are real.

This topic confused me for a minute or two. I've been reading Ogre as Orc for years. That's close enough for me. I am not interested in the generic races for fantasy games. And we definitely do not need Elves. Sylvari fill that roll and concept art shows they almost were going to be very Elf-like. Just that first image on their wiki, they look like Elves. If we get Orcs added like that, which people have pointed out is how the Charr are, I'll change my mind. The thing I really love about GW2 is how different it looks compared to other MMOs.A mount and a playable race is also not the same thing.

@Fueki.4753 said:

Weird, my first exposure to dwarves and elves was norse mythology, not germanic.