Trypophobia Awareness and Kormir's Library

reapex.8546

@"LadyKitty.6120" said:Kitty's getting motion sickness with awful nauseous feeling if she's playing open-world stuff for any extended period (kinda limited to 30-60mins of open-world at a time) but she's kinda solved it by focusing solely on instanced content and only open-worlding for mandatory things like story and fast guild missions. So her solution is limiting the gameplay to what she can do and focusing on that and trying to keep it interesting.

Kitty also knows some people with phobias related to textures and they've solved it by using ReShade in semi-extreme settings (like almost complete darkness around the character) to deal with areas that trigger their phobias. And if there's some areas that can't be dealt with by using reshade's filters, there might be an option of calling a friend to deal with that particular thing if it's not repetitive (if you have any gaming friends nearby).For trypophobia, reshade with strong blur at further than short distance (called "depth blur" or something like that") around the character should work as long as you keep a bit of distance from offending walls. You can deactivate the reshade preset for that when not in an area with holey walls.

This vid should explain how to do basic setup on it (and look the video on this link as searching youtube might lead to another related video which would seriously trigger that particular phobia):

I forgot about reshade and never thought of using it for this, thank you! :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I have problems with viewing vistas. The camera movement when showing the scenery makes me really nauseated. I just close my eyes before I start the view and count to 10.

The game can’t remove everything that bothers everyone. If you can look away then that’s the best course of action.

You can press the Escape key when viewing a vista. That way you won't have to close your eyes at all.Also, never said for the game to remove things. It was to bring more awareness to people who have Trypophobia when doing that story instance.

@"AgentMoore.9453" said:Lots of helpful comments in this thread. I don't think anyone's asking ArenaNet to change their game because of phobias in this discussion, but rather giving tips for coping with them to people that love GW2 but hate/fear certain aspects.

OP should consider changing their thread title to invite people to post coping mechanisms and heads ups for for multiple triggers encountered in the game so players can regulate their experience and take care of themselves. Can't avoid every nasty surprise, but it'd be a nice start and a healthy way to address kneejerk reactions.

EDIT: Not really a phobia, but I have something called Misophonia which means that certain sounds grab my attention, destroy my focus, and give me unnatural angry and uncomfortable feelings. In general, it's sounds like crying babies, whispering, pen tapping, off-rhythm beats, etc. In GW2, it's certain instruments, repetitive mini noises (Ho-Ho-Tron, Toxic Hybrid), the Jacaranda scream, the overlapping dove coo'ing in Divinity's Reach ambient sound and certain level-up and combat sounds.

In my case, the solution is to either completely shut off the master volume on the game, or go in and reduce the volume on different sound sliders. It's an annoying fix, but at least it's there.

Thank you had, no idea about Misophonia until now. I did change the title to include awareness. I'm not sure about generalizing it to all phobias, because ArenaNet may feel it's off topic and lock the post. No idea but thank you for the great suggestion :D.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"reapex.8546" said:It's been two years and I don't think anyone has commented on this.Trypophobia. Trypophobia is a fear or disgust of closely-packed holes. People who have it feel queasy when looking at surfaces that have small holes gathered close together. For example, the head of a lotus seed pod or the body of a strawberry could trigger discomfort in someone with this phobia.

People have various degrees of Trypophobia, if you go to Kormir's library and look at the scrolls...if your skin starts to crawl it possibly means you have some level of Trypophobia.Today, I was doing Kormir's story instance and I felt my skin begin to crawl when looking at the scrolls. I've forgotten that two years ago, I had to avoid staring at the walls for long due to the skin crawling feeling. The image in this post is at a slight angle, to hopefully to lessen the Trypophobia effect anyone may experience when looking at the picture. If you want to see if you have this phobia or not, you can do a google search for the word Trypophobia. If you do get anxiety or skin begins to crawl, you may experience that effect in Kormir's story instance. If you do, try not to look at the walls when doing the mission. When going to read her scrolls on the wall, I interact with them quickly and focus on the dialogue box to stop the skin crawling effect.

Update:Wanted to add back in 2017, I didn't know what Trypophobia was. So, I tried to ignore the feeling back then. However, now I know what it is and I'm concern about players who may have more serious reaction to Trypophobia.

7eN08We.png

Slightly off topic, I wonder what causes this condition? What evolutionary development made humans fear/get irritated by this type of thing?

Yeah, scientist are still figuring it out. Two years ago, I wouldn't have even made this post due to not knowing it was a condition at all and thinking it was just in my imagination. Then some people that don't have a condition or phobia, get all up in arms when a post is made about it. I'm glad the majority of the people that replied, are not like those people who rather not see phobias or conditions others are experiencing in games.

@"reapex.8546" said:I also heard there was suppose to be a Spider mount for Guildwars 2, but it was dismissed due to concerns about Arachnophobia. I'm not sure, how true that story is anymore. It was mentioned years ago.

This is correct. There is a 3d model of it as well. I have arachnophobia among a lot of other phobias but that spider mount indeed did look scary to me to some extend (stationary its fine but when it actually moves that may change). The regular ones in game I can deal with fine. And I have seen spider mounts in another game that I could deal with no problem either (looked more like a fat tarantula). It just depends on how it looks.

For the spider mount that got scrapped see the spoiler below. Avoid if you do not want to see it ofcourse.

!

@Aaralyna.3104 said:

@"reapex.8546" said:I also heard there was suppose to be a Spider mount for Guildwars 2, but it was dismissed due to concerns about Arachnophobia. I'm not sure, how true that story is anymore. It was mentioned years ago.

This is correct. There is a 3d model of it as well. I have arachnophobia among a lot of other phobias but that spider mount indeed did look scary to me to some extend (stationary its fine but when it actually moves that may change). The regular ones in game I can deal with fine. And I have seen spider mounts in another game that I could deal with no problem either (looked more like a fat tarantula). It just depends on how it looks.

For the spider mount that got scrapped see the spoiler below. Avoid if you do not want to see it ofcourse.

!

Ah wow, thank you :D. Also, thanks for putting it as a spoiler too.

@reapex.8546 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:I have problems with viewing vistas. The camera movement when showing the scenery makes me really nauseated. I just close my eyes before I start the view and count to 10.

The game can’t remove everything that bothers everyone. If you can look away then that’s the best course of action.

You can press the Escape key when viewing a vista. That way you won't have to close your eyes at all.Also, never said for the game to remove things. It was to bring more awareness to people who have Trypophobia when doing that story instance.

You’re not going to achieve much by posting in the forum if your goal Is to bring awareness. The number of players who will read the thread is minuscule (31 reads at this point, not all of which are unique views) and most of those won’t have this condition. If you want to make a real difference I suggest you update the wiki and put in a note there about Kormir’s Library. A note in the wiki is longer lasting than a forum thread that disappears into the back pages after a couple of days.

@Dragon Priestess.9760 said:I... I don't even know what to say about this.

Just don't look at the walls. That's all you have to do. If it's really that bad, you need to see a psychiatrist and get off of the game.

There are people who have extreme phobia of cats. So should we remove every cat from the game? Including Charr?

So your 'skin begins to crawl' when you look at holey, things.... so what?

If you're not having a straight up panic attack, you can get over it and finish the instance just like everyone else.

I've got to second the OP here, did you even read the post? They didn't ask for anything to be changed, just giving people a heads up.

Jumping puzzles and other high places can set off my fear of heights. Especially jumping puzzles, because most of them have mounts and gliders disabled, so you have no way to save yourself. Needless to say, I think the proposed change to remove falling damage reduction is absolutely terrible.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

You’re not going to achieve much by posting in the forum if your goal Is to bring awareness. The number of players who will read the thread is minuscule (31 reads at this point, not all of which are unique views) and most of those won’t have this condition. If you want to make a real difference I suggest you update the wiki and put in a note there about Kormir’s Library. A note in the wiki is longer lasting than a forum thread that disappears into the back pages after a couple of days.

The thing, if one person reads it and tell someone else that person will know. Then the information may travel to someone else. So, if only a "miniscule" amount of players read it that is more than enough for me. Also, they don't have to have this condition. I know about arachnophobia despite not having the condition and I can empathize with people that have it. If I can empathize with others, then I can do better with interacting with them because I understand them better.

However, thank you for the wiki suggestion. I have updated wiki.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:If you can look at it then ss it then modify it then post it yeah you don't have much of an issue. Ppl complained the instant new iphone w/e had a 3rd hole. There's thing that make me/others uncomfortable but we aren't posting pictures of spiders or clowns or w/e the thing that creeps you out.

I'm not sure what you're talking about, can you rephrase your message?

@Jimbru.6014 said:Jumping puzzles and other high places can set off my fear of heights. Especially jumping puzzles, because most of them have mounts and gliders disabled, so you have no way to save yourself. Needless to say, I think the proposed change to remove falling damage reduction is absolutely terrible.

I'm sorry you experience that while doing jumping puzzles ><.Yeah, I feel falling damage reduction should at least be kept for mesmers but that a different topic.

Slightly off topic, but I felt it necessary to point out that you should use better forum etiquette by not posting a separate comment to each and every reply you make. You can put them all in one post using quotes to highlight who you're addressing, otherwise you're spamming up the thread quite a bit as you've already done. By my count you have 17 back-to-back comment replies which could have all been condensed down into 2 separate replies. Posting a separate comment for every reply you make can bloat a thread's comment count unnecessarily and also create a more difficult reading experience for other users. Just a thought.

Regarding the topic of phobias, I have a pretty severe phobia of insects in general. Spiders are a concern as anyone with arachnophobia can attest to, but mine is a more general fear of anything insect related. Yes, this even extends to in-game bugs like the roller beetle mount. If I think too much about it or zoom my camera in when using it, the fear kicks in and I have to dismount and go do something else for a while. Same goes for the wide array of bug enemies in this game--I have to sort of suspend my anxiety toward them and let my focus shift to other things while fighting these mobs otherwise I get the creepy-crawly skin sensation and on a few occasions it's caused me to have to stop playing the game for a little while (or just return to DR or LA to do some trading post stuff to get my mind off of the admittedly totally irrational fear I'm experiencing).

But as the other commenters here have said, there's really no way Anet could possibly foresee and address every phobia that exists across the wide spectrum of the playerbase. The best that individuals with phobias can hope to do is find a way to distract themselves or use avoidance techniques to keep from freaking out about it. I'm sorry you had that experience with the library but I truly hope you aren't expecting Anet to change future development plans based on this topic.

Either way, I hope you have a better gaming experience going forward.

@drunkenpilot.9837 said:Slightly off topic, but I felt it necessary to point out that you should use better forum etiquette by not posting a separate comment to each and every reply you make. You can put them all in one post using quotes to highlight who you're addressing, otherwise you're spamming up the thread quite a bit as you've already done. By my count you have 17 back-to-back comment replies which could have all been condensed down into 2 separate replies. Posting a separate comment for every reply you make can bloat a thread's comment count unnecessarily and also create a more difficult reading experience for other users. Just a thought.

Regarding the topic of phobias, I have a pretty severe phobia of insects in general. Spiders are a concern as anyone with arachnophobia can attest to, but mine is a more general fear of anything insect related. Yes, this even extends to in-game bugs like the roller beetle mount. If I think too much about it or zoom my camera in when using it, the fear kicks in and I have to dismount and go do something else for a while. Same goes for the wide array of bug enemies in this game--I have to sort of suspend my anxiety toward them and let my focus shift to other things while fighting these mobs otherwise I get the creepy-crawly skin sensation and on a few occasions it's caused me to have to stop playing the game for a little while (or just return to DR or LA to do some trading post stuff to get my mind off of the admittedly totally irrational fear I'm experiencing).

But as the other commenters here have said, there's really no way Anet could possibly foresee and address every phobia that exists across the wide spectrum of the playerbase. The best that individuals with phobias can hope to do is find a way to distract themselves or use avoidance techniques to keep from freaking out about it. I'm sorry you had that experience with the library but I truly hope you aren't expecting Anet to change future development plans based on this topic.

@drunkenpilot.9837 said:Slightly off topic, but I felt it necessary to point out that you should use better forum etiquette by not posting a separate comment to each and every reply you make. You can put them all in one post using quotes to highlight who you're addressing, otherwise you're spamming up the thread quite a bit as you've already done. By my count you have 17 back-to-back comment replies which could have all been condensed down into 2 separate replies. Posting a separate comment for every reply you make can bloat a thread's comment count unnecessarily and also create a more difficult reading experience for other users. Just a thought.

Thank you for your opinion about forum post.In regards, to phobias I'm glad you found a solution that works for you..In response, to your message about Anet making changes. I never recommended or suggested that once.

@reapex.8546 said:

The thing, if one person reads it and tell someone else that person will know. Then the information may travel to someone else. So, if only a "miniscule" amount of players read it that is more than enough for me. Also, they don't have to have this condition. I know about arachnophobia despite not having the condition and I can empathize with people that have it. If I can empathize with others, then I can do better with interacting with them because I understand them better.

Tip: You neglected to sign your Wiki edit (use 4 tildes ~~~~ at the end of your edit). Also, it might have been better placed on this page: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Sanctum

you know? I had pretty strong arachnophobia. And I dealt with it. Today I share my shower with several spiders and I do not care. They are just spiders, utterly harmless.

This is the way to go. Not 'I have this and that, please remove' because if you do that for everyone, nothing in the game will be left. 998 out of 1000 players suffer, because of 2.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Tip: You neglected to sign your Wiki edit (use 4 tildes ~~~~ at the end of your edit). Also, it might have been better placed on this page:

Unfortunately, I'm not that use to wiki syntax. ArenaNet said, if we weren't use to using wiki we can just click the leave feedback link and someone more experience can correctly format our post. So, it's not really neglected it's more like I don't want to mess anything up on the wiki page. I choose to put it on the mission page where the player first reaches the instance. Since, that will be their first encounter with that location and they may look up information on the mission rather than the name of the building they're in.

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:you know? I had pretty strong arachnophobia. And I dealt with it. Today I share my shower with several spiders and I do not care. They are just spiders, utterly harmless.

This is the way to go. Not 'I have this and that, please remove' because if you do that for everyone, nothing in the game will be left. 998 out of 1000 players suffer, because of 2.

You didn't read my post, if you did you would see that I never stated what you're addressing.

@Hannelore.8153 said:ArenaNet is pretty good about phobias, other companies like Blizzard just ignore them, like the Swarm Host from SC2 (don't Google it if you have this). I guess the difference is, in the audience size and how cheap it is to lose some players.

That's part of why they try to keep the artstyle kind of painted and cartoony, btw.

In their defence, if your game is about the infestation of an insectoid master race, you wouldn't expect them to cater to people with such a fobia.

GW2 is already very fobia friendly.Sometimes a little too much even soncr it was a leading argument against the spider mount. Even though there are obligatory spider bosses in the game already

I'm usually very sympathetic to psychological... issues? such as phobias, but I feel that the people suffering from them have to understand that they are a minority. And people with super-specific rare phobias are a very, very small minority. I don't mean to be rude by any means, but this seems to me like special snowflake behavior. The problem here is not on Arenanet's end, but rather the player's in question. Thus I feel like it's up to them to deal with it.

If Arenanet starts removing holes from the game, then they pretty much have to acknowledge other rare phobias too, or they get called out for discrimination and unfairness. And if they remove absolutely everything someone might be scared of, we're not going to have a game left to play.

I don't personally suffer from phobias, but there has been some great advice in this thread from people who do. If it's really bad to the point where playing the game becomes impossible, seeking professional advice or considering other games are very viable options.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I'm usually very sympathetic to psychological... issues? such as phobias, but I feel that the people suffering from them have to understand that they are a minority.

They do. Telling them this is not helpful and implies that because not 'enough' people feel the same way, their fears and discomfort are not valid.

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I don't mean to be rude by any means, but this seems to me like special snowflake behavior.

It's rude. It's also not something the OP was doing. No one is asking for things to be removed from the game.

To anyone who has gotten this far in the thread, here's a refresher:

• OP has Trypophobia (fear/disgust triggered by closely-grouped holes) and is spreading awareness to try and help other players manage the problem so they can enjoy the game with minimal discomfort
  • Triggers for this condition can be found in Kormir's Library (and other places in the game)
  • Users have suggested enlisting the help of friends to complete the content, averting their gaze, and other methods for dealing with this condition
  • Several posters have also posted techniques for dealing with other phobias and conditions
  • No one has requested changes to the game or removal of content

@AgentMoore.9453 said:

@Hevoskuuri.3891 said:I'm usually very sympathetic to psychological... issues? such as phobias, but I feel that the
people suffering from them have to understand that they are a minority

They do. Telling them this is not helpful and implies that because not 'enough' people feel the same way, their fears and discomfort are not valid.

I never meant to imply that anyone's fears or discomfort aren't valid or acceptable. It just so happens that I personally know people with different kinds of phobias, and most of them accept their situation and deal with it gracefully, and all my sympathies go to them. And then a few of them constantly demand attention, complain how things should be changed to suit them better, and feel entitled to be treated differently because of their issues. And these aren't even reasonable requests or constructive suggestions, but rather completely absurd ideas in the neighborhood of changing official country flags because the patterns in some of them cause discomfort to the phobic in question. And that right there is most definitely special snowflake behavior.

Now, as to my above post as a whole, I did not realize that OP was not in fact asking/demanding for anything at all to be changed or removed within the game. Despite reading their post twice, I still somehow got the impression they were asking for Arenanet to step in, instead of just raising awareness. This was a brainfart on my part, no excuses. I stand corrected, and deeply apologize. Also, thank you AgentMoore.9453 for setting me straight.