Haven't played since launch, need some serious guidance.

Drwaddy.2051

Hey all,

So, I've hit that point in my life where I don't really have time to play hardcore anymore, I log in an hour or two here and there and I just can't commit to raid schedules or competitive anything.

I'm somewhat of a lone wolf, I don't mind having a guild, but I want to be completely self sufficient. I like to farm and amass money / grind levels / grind pvp rewards etc.

I need a class that isn't going to struggle by itself in pve or pvp, something that's not hard mode, and definitely doesn't require a lot of knowledge about the game.

I'm just looking for something simple yet effective. Anything like that exist?

I just basically quit wow classic because it's just too much time investment, I need something a little more casual, pick up and play, am I coming to the right place?

You are most likely coming to the right place.As for the simpler professions - well, every profession is capable of a lot of different things and different builds and playstyles are possible, but generally some of mechanically easier ones are ranger, necromancer (and its elite specialization, reaper), as well as some warrior, engineer and maybe thief builds. Mesmer, elementalist and revenant are somewhat harder to play and require more experience.

@Drwaddy.2051 said:I'm somewhat of a lone wolf, I don't mind having a guild, but I want to be completely self sufficient. I like to farm and amass money / grind levels / grind pvp rewards etc.

I need a class that isn't going to struggle by itself in pve or pvp, something that's not hard mode, and definitely doesn't require a lot of knowledge about the game.

I know it's not much help to say that you can pick any class and it will not struggle in pve, but given that you said you are somewhat of a lone wolf and want to be self-sufficient, you'd want a profession which can do some damage but from a far away location while someone (or something) takes the damage for you (a phantasm, pet, minion...). Hope this helps

Casual solo/open world pve is pretty much the only part of gw2 that has been developed in years. You will have all kinds of stuff to catch up on, and you can finish it at your own pace.

Any class can do very well in all parts of the game, and a lot of the fun comes from trying all of them. That being said, if you want something that can solo most content easily then reaper, soulbeast, warrior, herald probably have the best solo power builds while mirage, soulbeast, firebrand have the best solo condi builds.

Pvp isnt in a great spot balance wise, but if you can overlook its flaws and some of the op builds it can still be fun with any class. If you want to be self sufficient in pvp I wouldnt recommend necro right now. It is possible, but it takes more skill since necro lacks mobility and is a high priority target.

@Melech.4308 said:

@Drwaddy.2051 said:I'm somewhat of a lone wolf, I don't mind having a guild, but I want to be completely self sufficient. I like to farm and amass money / grind levels / grind pvp rewards etc.

I know it's not much help to say that you can pick any class and it will not struggle in pve, but given that you said you are somewhat of a lone wolf and want to be self-sufficient, you'd want a profession which can do some damage but from a far away location while someone (or something) takes the damage for you (a phantasm, pet, minion...). Hope this helps

This is misleading to a new returning player, some classes like Ele still die very easily in PvE if not geared and played well, even in open world, due to some issues with balance especially regarding damage and defense disparity between classes (especially health).

If you go from something like Elementalist or Thief to say, Guardian or Warrior, its a huge difference.

To the OP: Try a Ranger, they're more tolerant to casual play than other classes, due to the pet, high range and strong healing.