End support of Win 7

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@"Blanger.3162" said:The biggest issue to me with MS ending support for Win 7 is that hardware manufactures will also drop support in the form of drivers, it's not as big a deal with legacy hardware (because the drivers already exist) but if you want to build or buy a new PC on the latest hardware and run Win 7 as your OS your going to have a big problem very shortly with driver support for those nice new features you upgraded your hardware to get. Win X is of course a option and will have all the hardware driver support you would need but.... no version of Win X including Enterprise or LTSB give 100% total control over your PC OS, you can put off updates for awhile but sooner or later MS is going to force them onto your PC, it's just a fact of life.

For me, with the help of others here on this forum I made the switch to Linux and have been happily running GW2 through Wine/Lutris on Linux for months, like anything it has had its moments but no worse than running GW2 on Win X IMHO..... but this too isn't a solution for everyone running Win 7 and needing compatibility with other Windows based software.

Do you have a post somewhere that I could reference?

I assume your talking about GW2 on Linux? if so here you go.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/31192/playing-guild-wars-2-on-linux-performance-optimizations-and-more/p1

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think ANet can afford losing a bunch of their player base by no longer supporting Windows 7.

And GW2 is now at DirectX 9.0c. Which is a late Windows XP level.So, we still can upgrade toDirectX 10 (Vista level).DirectX 11 (Win7/Win8 level)Before we would run into limitations for Win7 users.And MS even allows game developers to use DirectX 12 in Windows 7 games with special tricks like WoW already uses.And we still have Vulcan as an option to go to as well.

@Blanger.3162 said:

@Blanger.3162 said:The biggest issue to me with MS ending support for Win 7 is that hardware manufactures will also drop support in the form of drivers, it's not as big a deal with legacy hardware (because the drivers already exist) but if you want to build or buy a new PC on the latest hardware and run Win 7 as your OS your going to have a big problem very shortly with driver support for those nice new features you upgraded your hardware to get. Win X is of course a option and will have all the hardware driver support you would need but.... no version of Win X including Enterprise or LTSB give 100% total control over your PC OS, you can put off updates for awhile but sooner or later MS is going to force them onto your PC, it's just a fact of life.

For me, with the help of others here on this forum I made the switch to Linux and have been happily running GW2 through Wine/Lutris on Linux for months, like anything it has had its moments but no worse than running GW2 on Win X IMHO..... but this too isn't a solution for everyone running Win 7 and needing compatibility with other Windows based software.

@Blanger.3162 said:The biggest issue to me with MS ending support for Win 7 is that hardware manufactures will also drop support in the form of drivers, it's not as big a deal with legacy hardware (because the drivers already exist) but if you want to build or buy a new PC on the latest hardware and run Win 7 as your OS your going to have a big problem very shortly with driver support for those nice new features you upgraded your hardware to get. Win X is of course a option and will have all the hardware driver support you would need but.... no version of Win X including Enterprise or LTSB give 100% total control over your PC OS, you can put off updates for awhile but sooner or later MS is going to force them onto your PC, it's just a fact of life.

Thanks!

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@mercury ranique.2170 said:As soon as Microsoft stops supporting windows 7, Arenanet stops as well. It is cause they can't guarantee it works as the supplier doesn't guarantee this as well. However, this doesn't mean you will run into issues. They will still put in effort to keep it running on windows 7 and they likely will do so for a long time.Thats a whole lot of contradiction.

No it is not.Supporting something means you guarantee it will work. That is no longer possible due to a lack of support by the supplier (Microsoft).But putting in best effort is still very much possible. This will likely mean it will keep on running for a long time.Game developers cant even guarantee it works with supported OS, so no thats not how it works.Just look at RDR2.

A failure of a single developer doesn't mean it should be the standard. On the contrary. If a game is released for a specific platform, this platform should be supported (which means they guarantee it will work if the other system requirements are met as well). This obviously changes when the manufacturer of the platform stops supporting it.

See windows 7 as the foundation of a house and GW2 as the house. When the foundation is no longer guaranteed to work, the house owner can no longer guaranteed the house will still stand up properly.In case of RDR2, the house itself was/is badly build, but that got nothing to do with the foundation (platform). Although obviously notin that example, the supporting walls where not put where they were of any use. So the house simply didn't fit the foundation.