Should I server transfer?

starpoem.8325

I’ve been playing GW2 since launch, but took a break for quite a while around after the defeat of Scarlet Briar & haven’t bought Hot of PoF. I recently redownloaded the game because I missed the beautiful graphics/WvW/dungeons & living story & was interested in trying out the expansion content, but now that I’m back online it feels like my server is just really dead. My old guild is completely inactive & I can barely find groups in LFG for dungeons & fractals, not to mention absolutely no groups for everything else in the LFG tab. I don’t know if it’s just the game as a whole, or if it’s specifically a lack of activity on my server, but there are only 1 or 2 groups in LFG across ALL the dungeons most of the time/only 2 or 3 throughout all fractal levels. Would it be worth it to transfer to a more populated server? Any recommendations of more active servers? Thanks! ♡

@"emmastar.4075" said:I’ve been playing GW2 since launch, but took a break for quite a while around after the defeat of Scarlet Briar & haven’t bought Hot of PoF. I recently redownloaded the game because I missed the beautiful graphics/WvW/dungeons & living story & was interested in trying out the expansion content, but now that I’m back online it feels like my server is just really dead. My old guild is completely inactive & I can barely find groups in LFG for dungeons & fractals, not to mention absolutely no groups for everything else in the LFG tab. I don’t know if it’s just the game as a whole, or if it’s specifically a lack of activity on my server, but there are only 1 or 2 groups in LFG across ALL the dungeons most of the time/only 2 or 3 throughout all fractal levels. Would it be worth it to transfer to a more populated server? Any recommendations of more active servers? Thanks! ♡

It depends on where you used to play. Was it in NA or EU? Maybe you were playing during off-peak hours. There are also some activities which are more prevalent to happen in EU compared to US and vice-versa; for example EU is active with Palawadan farming in LFG compared to US (from my experience). You can "Guest" in another server in your region if you need to and try that, but you cannot guest in another region (i.e. if your Region is 'NA' you can only guest in other NA servers, not in EU servers)

Edit:

You can take a look at the looking for guilds section in the forums to look for a guild if you like.

First, before we get any deeper...... Servers no long matter outside of World vs World. They removed the logical barrier between "worlds", and upscaled the game's overflow system to become a unified "Mega server". When a map gets full, the game simply spawns a new shard of it, and sends incoming players to it. When people move off, the shards count down and expire, and move any remaining players to another active shard.

The only reason WvW still uses worlds, is it being a major organizational unit in match making. But this too is going away in favor of Guild Alliances, as the "world" unit is currently too inflexible, and too easily prone to population shift. So conceptually, the only division that exists on the PvE side is between NA, EU and China regional servers, as they correspond to physical locations for consistent performance.

Moving on.... what you're seeing is NOT a "low population" problem. The way the game's content is structured and released lends toward a problem of "map popularity" getting the majority of activity. The issues you're seeing in LFG are a specific problem of the Raiding and Fractal community being very hostile toward Pugs, and instead favor "static groups" of regulars they play with. Thus the only people advertising in LFG are Fractal Daily runners (which are the most casual of the bunch, but only focus on Challenge modes for the bonus loot), PUG raids which may or may not be properly organized, and Raid Sellers. Dungeons have not been popular in years, as Anet has been using reward systems to lure players into Fractals and Raids..... with the subsequent community barrier for entry causing many to give up on it entirely.

Open world Pugs don't bother with LFG outside of scheduled/opportunistic world events, because there is literally no other reason to call player attention to it. Thus most just wander around soloing stuff until an event worth doing pops up, and to which they join as an ad-hoc participant. World boss and certain Meta events require certain tasking..... and its in those events you're more likely to see Commander tags, squads, and sub-groups actively organize for the sake of success.

We're coming off the tail end of a major Holiday festival, and a week away from a new Story chapter drop..... so most people are on break, or moving at a relaxed pace, in preparation for next week's hardcore AP and rewards farming. When that content block goes live, 90% of the player base will be funneling into that map, spawning multiple shards to handle the load. It'll peak for about 2 weeks or so, and once novelty wears off, and people got the skins they've wanted, they disperse back to their normal farming routines. That will NOT change the LFG situation, since thats caused by different factors... but the other popular farming maps will get their populations back to normal.

If you feel like you no longer want to be on your server in World vs. World, then you can see about moving servers. Otherwise, if you do not WvW, a server move is completely un-necessary. The only time server worlds matter is WvW. Everything else happens regardless of what server you're on -- just the fact if you're either NA or EU.