How would you all feel about a playable Orc Race?

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Sarrs.4831" said:if i wanted to play orcs id play wow

OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what
you
understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first
which
orcs are you talking about.

I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.like the Warborn from Archeage
http://webcdn.triongames.com/archeage/img/community/Warborn_Transform.jpg

These new race requests are funny. They ask for a new race then they show an example with the char so covered with armor that the race can’t be seen. Just play a tall human or Norn and wear bulky armor that covers everything and say you’re an Orc.

Are you sure thats armor looks like their skin to me.

I googled them and that’s armor. From what I could see they’re basically humans with horns and with the male face slightly modified. Definitely nothing like an Orc.

https://www.ign.com/wikis/archeage/Warborn

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Dante.1508 said:Cantha has Ninjas...

Assassins weren't Ninja.They made a living out of killing, while Ninja were soldiers to primarily 'acquired' information.Ninja were nothing like the fantasy tropes Senran Kagura or Naruto are trying to convey.And since their primary function included sitting silent and still in narrow attic for HOURS, they can't even compared to the jumpy Assassins from GW1 or GW2's Thief.

Yes they were, they were even dressed as ninja.. News flash Ninja are Assassins.

I did real life Togakure-ryū Ninjutsu for years they were 100% assassins

@MrForz.1953 said:

@"Obtena.7952" said:I would think "WTH did these orcs come from?"

As long as we are adding races just to sell something, might as well add Ninjas, Terminators and Jedi while you are at it.

And you've skipped the Elves completely? Unthinkable.

Sylvari are pretty much elves...

As for orcs, I would rather see the critters that are actually in our game be used first. It would be a graphic nightmare, but I would love to play a centaur ha ha I know it will never happen, but at least they already exist in the GW world.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

OK, and can't you say the same thing about Charr and just playing DnD or something? Not like Orcs are exclusive to WoW. Orcs in WoW were written to be Aliens from a different universe dimension, where as Orcs in Lord of the Rings are Elfs. Sylvari I would argue, especially based on the original concept art are Woodelfs by a different name.Okay, but that brings us back to the original question people asked you: what
you
understand under the term "Orc", and how it is different from a few races that are already in the game (like Charr, Grawl or Ogres) and fill the same spot orcs usually do in other games.Because, like you said, the word "Orc" can mean many different things, so asking people whether they'd want orcs in the game is meaningless without mentioning first
which

I posted an example of what I would like for a orc.like the Warborn from Archeage

This is hilarious!Astralporing: asks what Knighthonor understands the term "orc" to mean.Knighthonor: posts something that has
absolutely nothing whatsoever
to do with orcs!

Well I did say orcs are different in different games. You all been the people here saying Orcs=Wow Orcs. I never said that, in fact I been saying orcs can be different in ways and similar in others. Seen some of them while playing Archeage, but they they on the opposite Faction from me. Something like that would be cool in GW2. Norn are big but human like compared to orcs.

So why didn't you just say you wanted a different, unique race added to GW2 rather than focus your entire discussion on orcs? It's a little disingenuous to say you want orcs added to the game and then when confronted about it you backpedal to say that you didn't mean those orcs, you just meant any kind of race that looks different to what's already in game.

In case you are still confused, orcs are extremely well established as a single type of creature across almost all fantasy realms, and they are almost universally based on the species Tolkien created. Wiki quote:

In popular culture (including fantasy fiction and games), orcs are variously portrayed but tend towards the descriptions originally set down by Tolkien. They are of approximately human shape (with bowed legs and long arms) and of varying size. Orcs are generally ugly and filthy, with prominent fangs and facial features tending toward the grotesque (generally a mixture of the ape-like and pig-like). Their skin is typically a shade of green, grey, black, brown, or sometimes red or sandy tan (Tolkien, in contrast, described some as "sallow", some as "black"—not necessarily a reference to skin colour—and one as "black-skinned"

I challenge you to do an image search for "Orcs" and find something that breaks this paradigm.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

you
which

So, you basically want horned humans. Why didn't you say so?(hint: that doesn't require adding a new race - what you really want seems to be a set of armor with a certain specific visuals)Also, if you consider Warborn to be Orcs, then you have to consider Charr and Grawl to be Orcs as well. In this case, GW2 has not one, but
two
Orc races already.

@drunkenpilot.9837 said:

you
which

This is hilarious!Astralporing: asks what Knighthonor understands the term "orc" to mean.Knighthonor: posts something that has
absolutely nothing whatsoever
to do with orcs!

Well I did say orcs are different in different games. You all been the people here saying Orcs=Wow Orcs. I never said that, in fact I been saying orcs can be different in ways and similar in others. Seen some of them while playing Archeage, but they they on the opposite Faction from me. Something like that would be cool in GW2. Norn are big but human like compared to orcs.

So why didn't you just say you wanted a different, unique race added to GW2 rather than focus your entire discussion on orcs? It's a little disingenuous to say you want orcs added to the game and then when confronted about it you backpedal to say that you didn't mean
those
orcs, you just meant any kind of race that looks different to what's already in game.

In case you are still confused, orcs are extremely well established as a single type of creature across almost all fantasy realms, and they are almost universally based on the species Tolkien created.
:

In popular culture (including fantasy fiction and games), orcs are variously portrayed but tend towards the descriptions originally set down by Tolkien. They are of approximately human shape (with bowed legs and long arms) and of varying size. Orcs are generally ugly and filthy, with prominent fangs and facial features tending toward the grotesque (generally a mixture of the ape-like and pig-like). Their skin is typically a shade of green, grey, black, brown, or sometimes red or sandy tan (Tolkien, in contrast, described some as "sallow", some as "black"—not necessarily a reference to skin colour—and one as "black-skinned"

I challenge you to do an image search for "Orcs" and find something that breaks this paradigm.

https://aminoapps.com/c/sanketsu-world/page/blog/raca-orcs/Paok_nEFmuDwoYD1EMklE3GGbx5koDWbP8

Yes I want this in GW2https://www.pinterest.com/pin/206602701642216339/?lp=true

@Sarrs.4831 said:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Yes I want this in GW2

That's literally a Warcraft orc! lolYou can't go on about wanting a unique interpretation of orcs and then take
literal warcraft orcs
and say you want them in GW2!

• it have nothing in common with what s/he wanted before, that was horned headed human.

@Vayne.8563 said:Anet creates a game with fewer fantasy tropes. Fans come and ask whether we should have more fantasy tropes. My answer is no. We don't need more fantasy tropes. Frankly I'm glad Anet killed off the dwarves in Guild Wars 1. There's too much derivative fantasy out there. People need to learn to think outside the box.

agreed, dont had the fantasy tropes clichés is the one of strogest points of gw2, the only fantasy game where im interested in lore.

i played neverwinter(from pwe) 1~2 years, nothing interested me, they had orcs, elfs, all possible clichés.

Charr are much more creative and fascinating than Orcs. the warcraft Orcs lore is poor and childsh.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

@Vayne.8563 said:Anet creates a game with fewer fantasy tropes. Fans come and ask whether we should have more fantasy tropes. My answer is no. We don't need more fantasy tropes. Frankly I'm glad Anet killed off the dwarves in Guild Wars 1. There's too much derivative fantasy out there. People need to learn to think outside the box.

agreed, dont had the fantasy tropes clichés is the one of strogest points of gw2, the only fantasy game where im interested in lore.

i played neverwinter(from pwe) 1~2 years, nothing interested me, they had orcs, elfs, all possible clichés.

Charr are much more creative and fascinating than Orcs. the warcraft Orcs lore is poor and childsh.

Again tired of this argument. Since just about everything in GW2 can be traced back to DnD in some ways or some form of mythology like DnD gets it from. GW2 isn't somehow suddenly out the spectrum of the fantasy RPG realm just because it uses different names on things.

@Sarrs.4831 said:

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:Yes I want this in GW2

That's literally a Warcraft orc! lolYou can't go on about wanting a unique interpretation of orcs and then take
literal warcraft orcs
and say you want them in GW2!

I love how the OP just flips their view to continue a 'discussion'.

Clearly, people don't want 'orcs' of any form in this game is undesirable. There are so many opportunities to NOT appeal to the cliche that I see absolutely no reason for anyone to want it, including Anet. The data shows that, the game shows it.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

Again tired of this argument. Since just about everything in GW2 can be traced back to DnD in some ways or some form of mythology like DnD gets it from. GW2 isn't somehow suddenly out the spectrum of the fantasy RPG realm just because it uses different names on things.

There is a difference between something that exists somewhere and a trope. It's not the same thing. Saying that they're the same thing shows you're not really getting my argument.

I play fantasy to escape into a fantasy world. If all fantasy worlds are the same (elves, dwarves, orcs), then it's not really a new world for me. It's derivative.

A good portion, virtually all, of Shakespeare's works were written with words other people used. He put those words together in ways that other authors didn't. Guild Wars 2 didn't bow to the tropes that most fantasy MMOs have stuck with and that resonated for a lot of people.

Virtually everything in this game can be found somewhere, but no one has put together these threads in the way this game has. There's no excuse, in my opinion, to take something that everyone else uses and throw it in here. Nor have you given any reason why it should be done. Maybe the only reason is I like orcs. To me, that's not enough reason. I like Orcs too.

I like them in Lord of the Rings and D&D. I don't like them in other places though.

@Obtena.7952 said:Clearly, people don't want 'orcs' of any form in this game is undesirable. There are so many opportunities to NOT appeal to the cliche that I see absolutely no reason for anyone to want it, including Anet. The data shows that, the game shows it.

yeah,Charr is better than OrcsNorms is better than ElfsAsura is better than DwarfsKrytan, Elonian Humans is better than anything else related to human lore in other fantasy stuff.

In future, probably there will games, novels or fantasy stuff borrowing from Gw2.

@Fueki.4753 said:

• it have nothing in common with what s/he wanted before, that was horned headed human.Warcraft Orcs are prettier, greener and more thick/thicc humans and they have fangs.

WarCraft orcs are prettier than humans?! There's no accounting for taste, I suppose...

If you equal fangs with horns, it's pretty much what they want.

If you equate fangs with horns, you're going to have a hard time holding a coherent conversation about fantasy creature design - or about animals in general, for that matter.

• 4 weeks later...

Tengu all the way!!!

...and seriously, no orcs, please. They're way too overdone and have become cliche in RPGs. One of the things I like about Guild Wars 2 is that all their playable races are far from mainstream and I would even say they are all new to video game RPGs. I admit they pulled inspiration from other sources, but the Guild Wars 2 playable races (except human, obviously) are all very much unique to Guild Wars 2.

So again, please, no orcs....or dwarves or elves. Don't get me wrong, I like elves, dwarves, etc. as much as the next guy, but they're overdone. Keep Guild Wars 2 unique; don't jump on the bandwagon to be just like every other MMORPG out there. Guild Wars 2's unique lore and thus world is part of what makes it so appealing.

@Bron.9647 said:, but the Guild Wars 2 playable races (except human, obviously) are all very much unique to Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 2's unique lore and thus world is part of what makes it so appealing.

As pointed out, this is not true. Calling something a different name don't make it now different. None of the playable races in GW2 are unique to this IP. DnD had all of them way before Guild Wars or even Anet was ever a thing. They used different names.

And Lore has little to do with this argument, since Lore can be written in anyway they want, still doesn't make the race different. It's unique in its Lore alone honestly. Tengu aren't unique. They been done before. Like Orcs been done before.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:might as well add Ninjas, Terminators and Jedi while you are at it.

Daredevil, Scrapper, Holosmith

.....dot...dot....dot....

Obviously the point is missed ... Orc aren't part of the lore and neither are the things i mentioned.

I would request kodans or avicaras with 1 special class only for each since would be easier than prepare toon skeleton for all classes skills..

But orcs... at least request lewd elf lolis.

Lets say Anet decides to implement other races, they should just reuse the current ones skeletons and add textures and reuse the story or create new story that is current living world episode and a flashback starting point for the new race. So lets you have a something of a sub race you pick Norn with option to be lets say Kodan(same skeleton) or more deformed Orkish model of a Jotun. So in the end we get more variety of appearances by reusing old code. Could be even a selling point for expansion.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Bron.9647" said:, but the Guild Wars 2 playable races (except human, obviously) are all very much unique to Guild Wars 2.

Guild Wars 2's unique lore and thus world is part of what makes it so appealing.

As pointed out, this is not true. Calling something a different name don't make it now different. None of the playable races in GW2 are unique to this IP. DnD had all of them way before Guild Wars or even Anet was ever a thing. They used different names.

So, the existing GW2 races are all rehashes of DnD? It might help focus the discussion if you made a case for Charr being X, Asura being Y. I find it interesting you have not really done so. Less-specific claims are also less arguable.

If existing GW2 races are simply adaptations of races existing elsewhere, then surely this is because they fill general stereotypes, not because a specific name or general appearance was used. DnD has multiple "races" that fill the same niche as orcs. They just have a different name, their appearance might be based on different animals, size is different, or there are some minor cultural differences. Regardless, goblins, gnolls, hobgoblins, bugbears, even kobolds are all "evil," anthropomorphic creatures who serve as lower-level adversaries. Some of them are derived from very similar creatures in existing folklore from different cultures.

DnD does this to provide "variety." This allows DM's to chose a specific humanoid evil race to populate their campaign. In the case of a generic dungeon delve, it allows DnD's publisher to pad Monster Manuals with more entries, making them seem meatier, and/or sell more/different miniatures.

GW2 has several races that fit the general role orcs play in the fantasy genre. This has been pointed out by others, above. It seems from your later posts that what you're really after is the appearance of orcs popularized in more recent fantasy adaptations like Warcraft. Since I'm not a fan of playing such a creature, I'd say no. Normally, I'm a "different strokes," live-and-let-live kind of person. However, your intent seems to boil down to a purely cosmetic desire. Adding a new race seems like an awful lot of work so that some players can have a character whose appearance is the main (or sole) aspect of the race that's a bit different from what is already available.

• 4 months later...