best class for solo build?

weaponwh.9810

It really depends on how good you are as a player with certain build types. Thief and Ranger have the highest potential for Kiting, but building them for damage leaves a very small margin of error against the kind of damage Champs put out in POF. Necro, Warrior and Guardian have the best options for sustain at melee range, but their damage to durability ratio varies heavily, and specing too far away from damage actually makes fights harder. Ele and Mesmer are strong damage options, but the way their builds scale when not running pure glass requires a higher level of player knowledge to work effectively. Revs have solid damage output, but all their builds do not afford mistakes well, and hybridizing them is incredibly difficult without a party comp to build them around. Engineers (more specifically Holosmith) are generally solid. But they've suffered a series of serious damage nerfs that leads to many fights now being drawn out, when they used to excel at it.

I've seen people screw up using builds back when they were still overpowered..... But the direction things are heading, a good build can't carry a bad player anymore. And a half way decent player can succeed and improve an any half way serviceable build they come across.

So the real question is, how are you approaching those fights, and what are the things that get you killed the most. That'll arm you with enough information to figure out which builds has a play style you can operate correctly. Thats assuming you're not pulling a Dunning-Kruger, and believing you can beat champs you have no right in believing you could solo. Bounties especially, as their specifically designed around the damage output of 5+ players.

Ranger and Necro come to my mind. Ranger has longbow stealth for disengaging + pet to take aggro (assuming you take tanky pet like the bear or drakes) that actually has stats to pull aggro (high toughness) and take the beatdown. If some pain is unavoidable consider wilderness survival traitline. The protection on evade + great hp regen when under effects of protection are great. Also the increased stamina regen + getting long vigor on successful evade.

Necro is all about taking the pain and pulling through thanks to his tankyness and lifesteals. Honestly he may be the best profession in certain cases (when the fight is not about 1hko death zones where mobility is the key), because from ground up he is designed as attrition fighter, meaning he is meant to stay in the fight and sustain through the pain, rather then having to burst and disengage or sweat bullets like many others. Both power and condi builds on necro can offer some great survival. As long as you build (be it via gear or traits or both) some solid defensive stats, get proper lifesteal and life force generation, you'll be able to pull through a lot this game has to offer.

@starlinvf.1358 said:Thats assuming you're not pulling a Dunning-Kruger, and believing you can beat champs you have no right in believing you could solo.

Can confirm Dunning-Kruger. I built my scrapper with sustain in mind and in most groups I've played him in he's usually the only Asura left standing. A couple of months of this I was feeling pretty invulnerable. Then I went into the desert to do the bounty daily and Zawadi the Turncoat put me down within seconds.

I learned the power of following respectfully behind a commander that day...

@"starlinvf.1358" said:Thats assuming you're not pulling a Dunning-Kruger, and believing you can beat champs you have no right in believing you could solo. Bounties especially, as their specifically designed around the damage output of 5+ players.

Actually there is quite a lot of soloable bounties, some are really hard because they either have too much cc/defence and live past 10 min timer or just deal too much damage. From my experience around a half are "hard to solo" category.

Here's the build I've been running (condi weaver):http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZw2YXMJmJeuWfvbA-zRRYtRD+NsyIzEI0CwhZZrPN-e

Condi rev and mirage are some of the best soloers, I've seen a guy solo 10 different legendary bounties as mirage, not sure about his exact build tho

@Melech.4308 said:

@weaponwh.9810 said:what are some the best solo pve build/class to take on Champion in PoF? i have ranger and thief while good at taking care vetern, but have trouble taken care champion. so i'm curious to see if others has build that can take care champ pretty well.

Which champions? I hope you're not trying to solo bounty champions...

not bounty champion, regular champ mob. though I have seen build able to solo bounty champ, not sure its the build or the player just good.

I try solo bounty champ before, but die quickly, though some ppl may able to do it with careful playstyle and good class build. I need the collection bounty achievement for ascended weapon, and sometime its hard to find a group doing that champ.

@weaponwh.9810 said:

@weaponwh.9810 said:what are some the best solo pve build/class to take on Champion in PoF? i have ranger and thief while good at taking care vetern, but have trouble taken care champion. so i'm curious to see if others has build that can take care champ pretty well.

not bounty champion, regular champ mob. though I have seen build able to solo bounty champ, not sure its the build or the player just good.

I try solo bounty champ before, but die quickly, though some ppl may able to do it with careful playstyle and good class build. I need the collection bounty achievement for ascended weapon, and sometime its hard to find a group doing that champ.

There are some PoF champs which can be easily soloed if you know how they move; a good player knows how to use the skills of his/her profession to take advantage so it is a combination of both player skill and knowledge of the class and the champion.

@Melech.4308 said:

There are some PoF champs which can be easily soloed if you know how they move; a good player knows how to use the skills of his/her profession to take advantage so it is a combination of both player skill and knowledge of the class and the champion.It really depends on how you want to play. To take more specific examples, I've been using two different spots to "test" builds with - the djinn area in north oasis (fighting 4-5 veteran djinns at once) and the champ sand shark in the choya area of kourna (easy to find, simple mechanics).

My p/p crit regen power thief for example can tear through a single djinn and the champ without taking damage, but fighting more djinn means it's easy miss a beat and get hit for alot, which mess things up. Even just 2-3 can be trouble. Same with the champ, I need to dodge the sand spin and launch. But it's not exactly hard, when done properly it works fine and since you regen about 20% hp every unload even if you get hurt you can quickly heal up.

A reaper MM however, can literally facetank it all without caring for mechanics. 5 djinn, easy. I can maintain 100% hp. The more you fight, the stronger you are. 10-15 djinn would probably still be no problems lol. For the champ you can stand in the sand spin and loose maybe 20% hp - which is regened in 3-5 seconds by just using autoattack. The launch is just a minor annoyance. But of course, it take a while to bring down when you build that tanky. Then again the build can also insta-break champs on 30s cd as well so that helps.

When I tried a condi mirage, it was somewhere in between. I actually found it rather boring.

@weaponwh.9810 said:is condi build generally easier to solo champ compare to power build? I saw bunch video on ppl solo bounty, all of them seem using condi build rather than power.A simple matter of stats and residual damage. With power if you need to evade - which you're going to - you loose a ton of your dps. For condi the damage will still tick a while. You also only need to focus on 1 stat (condi, worst case condi+crit if you have a proc heavy class) instead of 3 (pow, prec, crit), leaving much more wiggle room for toughness/vitality so that you can survive longer at higher dps than what the eqvivalent power build would have.

condi duration can go up to 100% so 2x the damage compared to no condition duration at all. So yeah, it's pretty big. There are some traits that increase expertise of specific condition duration, but these will only help you get started. Rarely a damaging condition gets anything better then 20-33% duration from traits. Rest you need to build for yourself.

Take a look at the trailblazer Herald build from Lord Hizen in Youtube; He pretty much stomped all the fractal bossses and a lot of HoT and PoF events playing solo with that one.

@Buran.3796 said:

Take a look at the trailblazer Herald build from Lord Hizen in Youtube; He pretty much stomped all the fractal bossses and a lot of HoT and PoF events playing solo with that one.

I actually look at a build from Paper roll soulbeast, seem like he is using Trailblazer and solo a lot bounty boss etc. My main is ranger. but my question is, does ascended armor necessary? all my acended equipment are power base at the moment, don't want spend so much gold to get marginal gain compare to exotic armor.

@weaponwh.9810 said:

I actually look at a build from Paper roll soulbeast, seem like he is using Trailblazer and solo a lot bounty boss etc. My main is ranger. but my question is, does ascended armor necessary? all my acended equipment are power base at the moment, don't want spend so much gold to get marginal gain compare to exotic armor.

In general terms there's only 4 kind of gear stats demanded for high end PvE content in this game: berserker, which counts for ~80% of the dps builds, viper (the other 10%, dps builds albeit sometimes is balanced with sinister or grieving) harrier (the 5%, best current combo stats for a pure healer) and diviner (best combo for a support). So usually crafting other stats is a waste (specially for armor and weapons, because are expensive whereas ascended accesories are easy to get/restat).

But we are talking here about doing alone content designed to be beated by teams of 5+ players. So, every point invested in the balance of damage and sustain is crucial. Skill aside, some of those feats are impossible to perform without the best in slot gear (including runes, sigils and food). Some of those bosses have a rage timer or a time cap, so using different stats that will decrease a bit the % of damage or its duration (and stacking) will have an impact.

My advice would be: try it with exotic, because trailblazer isn't as useful outside solo content/WvW and there's the chance that you end crafting an expensive gear but yet end unable to replicate the feats of those players (or you end disliking the gameplay). Anyway, stats from ascended crafted items can be reset at the cost of ~25-30 gold coins.

• 2 months later...

@Melech.4308 said:

Some of them are actually quite soloable. You may need to make a special build to take on but if my nub hands can do it I'm sure it isn't out of reach for the average player who has determination.

• 4 weeks later...