Should Anet pause development and use those resources to properly rework Build Templates?

Elrey.5472

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:If a major MMO studio needs to seize development in order to fix a broken feature, they better close shop and do something else.

If I think that's a thing is because there's a precedent with HoT:

If they ceased development during HoT's development (see the contradiction there?) then how did HoT get developed?

Month 0 = HoT release. Start work on LWS3.Month 1 = Players found HoT quite unbalanced/broken/hard/annoying/others.Months 2-3 = They ceased/paused the development on LSW3 to fix HoT. And only resumed the work on LW3 after that balancing fix was done (that's when they added lot of events on verdant brink, vinetooths on auric basin, etc).Month 4 = Continue/resume development of LWS3.Month 6 = LWS3 Episode 1 release, 6 months after HoT release instead of the intended 3 months.

That's how I remember it. I bet veterans will remember it as well.

@Elrey.5472 said:

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:If a major MMO studio needs to seize development in order to fix a broken feature, they better close shop and do something else.

If they ceased development during HoT's development (see the contradiction there?) then how did HoT get developed?

Month 0 = HoT release. Start work on LWS3.Month 1 = Players found HoT quite unbalanced/broken/hard/annoying/others.Months 2-3 = They ceased/paused the development on LSW3 to fix HoT. And only resumed the work on LW3 after that balancing fix was done (that's when they added lot of events on verdant brink, vinetooths on auric basin, etc).Month 4 = Continue/resume development of LWS3.Month 6 = LWS3 Episode 1 release, 6 months after HoT release instead of the intended 3 months.

OK, so the game, according to the timeline you list, was in continuous development for the entire time.

@"Elrey.5472" said:Month 6 = LWS3 Episode 1 release, 6 months after HoT release instead of the intended 3 months.

I remember that HoT released on Oct. 23, 2015 and Out of the Shadows (LWS3) released on July 26, 2016. That's nine months, not six.

Regardless, HoT included story, new maps, and plenty of events. That is not analogous to a QoL feature. Nor is the upset over templates anywhere near the size of the upset over HoT that I remember. Also, the period of "content drought" between HoT and OotS saw the game's revenues hit a new low (for that time). I doubt that there's any precedent there that ANet will be willing to follow. Nor, I suspect, would throwing more people at templates solve anything. Delaying LW for anything in the current climate of concern for the game's future would likely be worse than doing nothing about templates -- as much as I might like to see templates change for the better.

@Elrey.5472 said:

Probably it was that anet was on the raid train not ceasing developement. Remember during those 6 months 3 raids got released. Seeing how they can only release 1 raid and 1 fractal a year now, it show where develope prioritizes were back then.