Let's Talk About PvP Balance

Cal Cohen.2358

@Chaith.8256 said:

• Heavy focus on skill splitting Engi, Ele, Revenant, Druid support skills until they're JUST good enough to where you can build around them in PvP and be part of a balanced metagame.
  • Nerf personal long-term sustain across the board until 1v1s when played optimally will end within 60 seconds of continuous brawling.

This, and another thing I wish they would do is reduce all mobility (long range leaps/movement skills) to actually make rotations matter more than it does now, even if you outnumber a certain class right now you can save a fight because of the crazy amount of mobility there is.

It might get fixed already by your idea to nerf sustain in the 1v1s that a +1 might matter more, I just wish mobility was brought down a notch, right now you can probably leap through a whole map with mobility skills which is just insane imo

@"Radagascar.6231" said:Thief:There isn't much to elaborate on beyond what a lot of people have already posted; however, I will say this: Thieves survivability should be looked at. A lot of people want to point to the fact that thieves have a low health pool. Do they, though? Carrion thieves have ~21k health. That's fine if their damage is going to be nerfed, but I think thieves should be balanced around a low health pool and high damage output. They should be high risk, high reward as opposed to the low risk, high reward playstyle they currently employ. Plain and simple, balance thieves around the concept of them being melee glass cannons with an avoidance kit. (Not perma-avoidance mind you)

Thieves were like this back when d/p dash and s/d acro were prevalent. Players still complained about "perma stealth" or "perma evade" thieves ruining their experiences etc. Eventually, they get nerfed to their present state and you see degenerate specs like s/d condi thief and actual perma evade staff thief appear. I feel like so many players here just blindly hate on thief anything when they don't even understand what they're playing against half the time. The worst example of this was when I actually got flamed by someone on the enemy team for playing condi thief when I was playing core s/d...

As a separate note though, can thief stolen skills get looked at? The power level between some of them is insane (eg consume plasma vs throw gunk).

@blarghhrrkblah.3412 said:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:
There isn't much to elaborate on beyond what a lot of people have already posted; however, I will say this: Thieves survivability should be looked at. A lot of people want to point to the fact that thieves have a low health pool. Do they, though? Carrion thieves have ~21k health. That's fine if their damage is going to be nerfed, but I think thieves should be balanced around a low health pool and high damage output. They should be high risk, high reward as opposed to the low risk, high reward playstyle they currently employ. Plain and simple, balance thieves around the concept of them being melee glass cannons with an avoidance kit. (Not perma-avoidance mind you)

Thieves were like this back when d/p dash and s/d acro were prevalent. Players still complained about "perma stealth" or "perma evade" thieves ruining their experiences etc. Eventually, they get nerfed to their present state and you see degenerate specs like s/d condi thief and actual perma evade staff thief appear. I feel like so many players here just blindly hate on
thief
anything when they don't even understand what they're playing against half the time. The worst example of this was when I actually got flamed by someone on the enemy team for playing condi thief when I was playing core s/d...

As a separate note though, can thief stolen skills get looked at? The power level between some of them is insane (eg consume plasma vs throw gunk).

Yeah uve hit the nail on the head for the majority of nerf thief threads. players post nerf threads out of spite or ignorance towards a class that they find inherently annoying to fight or are a challenge rather than learn to play. I would bet if a huge majority of these posters tried thief they'd get destroyed so hard so fast but would still have excuses. This game attracts a lot of players who just can't fathom being beat by a better player.

@blarghhrrkblah.3412 said:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:
There isn't much to elaborate on beyond what a lot of people have already posted; however, I will say this: Thieves survivability should be looked at. A lot of people want to point to the fact that thieves have a low health pool. Do they, though? Carrion thieves have ~21k health. That's fine if their damage is going to be nerfed, but I think thieves should be balanced around a low health pool and high damage output. They should be high risk, high reward as opposed to the low risk, high reward playstyle they currently employ. Plain and simple, balance thieves around the concept of them being melee glass cannons with an avoidance kit. (Not perma-avoidance mind you)

Thieves were like this back when d/p dash and s/d acro were prevalent. Players still complained about "perma stealth" or "perma evade" thieves ruining their experiences etc. Eventually, they get nerfed to their present state and you see degenerate specs like s/d condi thief and actual perma evade staff thief appear. I feel like so many players here just blindly hate on
thief
anything when they don't even understand what they're playing against half the time. The worst example of this was when I actually got flamed by someone on the enemy team for playing condi thief when I was playing core s/d...

I think mesmer and tif are on the similar boat, sinking, the more nerfs we get, the more degenerate builds we are forced to use. Such is life.Had a similar exp, was using power axe, and got called " condi abusing trash ".People need to seriously get educated before they make claims out of their asses, I hate weaver with passion, But I have not made a single nerf comment or post.why? I have no bloody clue how they work, or what their streanghts or weaknesses are, Its meaningless if they are overpowered or not, untill i Know what they do, and how they tick, I will keep my trap shut when it comes to them.Forums would be so much better if everyone had this mindset.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

I think mesmer and tif are on the similar boat, sinking, the more nerfs we get, the more degenerate builds we are forced to use. Such is life.Had a similar exp, was using power axe, and got called " condi abusing trash ".People need to seriously get educated before they make claims out of their kitten, I hate weaver with passion, But I have not made a single nerf comment or post.why? I have no bloody clue how they work, or what their streanghts or weaknesses are, Its meaningless if they are overpowered or not, untill i Know what they do, and how they tick, I will keep my trap shut when it comes to them.Forums would be so much better if everyone had this mindset.

The difference is that Thief Profession doesn't only effect one or few players but the majority of players including the game economy, its population and its financial economy

No other Profession effects all 3 except Thief Profession. Thief Profession is the main sole Profession for the economy decline, behind its population drop and most importantly for the game growth and its security

In other word, Thief Profession is the reason why guild wars 2 not being competitive, healthy and prosering

The better mindset is to either delete Thief Profession or to completely redesign it!!

-You want to have better reason to be mad, be mad to why the lesser of these two has not happen within the 7 years and so forth-

I'm sure the majority of the community including myself would obligate in welcoming Thief Profession redesign as a new beginning

@"Radagascar.6231" said:Fundamental Changes:

Condition Damage:Someone touched on it already in this thread, and I'd like to highlight it again. DoT effects should not have the same level of burst as power dmg. It is completely asinine that any of the condition specs can apply 10+ conditions in a miniscule amount of time and that those conditions put a comparative amount of offensive pressure as say a power burst rotation. There should be SOME distinction between the amount of damage done by a condition "rotation" and a power rotation.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS SOOOOO MUCH THIS. It does not help that alot of professions who have this kind of power have more sustain that power builds do as well.

Condition Cleanse:Having said what I did about condition damage is necessarily tied into condition cleanse. If condition damage is consequently nerfed as a result of fundamental balance changes, cleanse should then also be nerfed. The point is not to remove condition specs from the game entirely - it should be to define them differently than a power spec. Condition cleanse being as strong as it is (for some classes at least) will likely push out condition damage specs from any semblance of being meta if they, too, are not nerfed relative to condition damage.

I agree

Perma-Anything:Having the ability to max out on a boon, a stealth, etc. is not something that is healthy for the game. It promotes extreme builds that focus on one thing, and that one thing pushes it over the edge because 25 stacks of might isn't something that the game is designed around in terms of raw damage output vs. raw health points and healing output. Either remove the ability to maintain perma-anything or make it so incredibly difficult that it will hamstring the rest of the build to a point of relative irrelevance.

The idea of this is nice but alot of the classes that can currently maintain things like 25 might are pretty limited on boon application as far as number of boons generated. Just note you cant only cull classes good at holding 25 might you have to cull everything classes that can currently hold 25 might should probably still be able to achieve much higher might count on average than others who cant. At the same time others have to lose their protection, vigor, swiftness, regen etc which keeps them alive.

Class Changes:

Mesmer:In conjunction with the condition damage change, the passive damage that mirages can pump out as a result of their clones is wildly overtuned - they already have an inherent advantage of having multiple copies of themselves that a person has to manage. It should not be the case that those copies are also putting an unnecessary amount of offensive pressure on the opponent.

I mean yea...

Guardian:Firebrand pushes SO many specs out of the meta that it is arguably one of the most obnoxious elite specializations in the game currently. A lot of people complain about condi thieves and mirages or holos, but the biggest culprit of meta imbalance is Firebrand. It is by far the spec that can single-handedly carry a game with how generally good it is. It should be a Jack of all trades, master of none. Instead, it is a master of literally everything aside from mobility. That is the down-fall, it is slow. That should NOT be a viable reason for something be wildly overtuned in almost all other aspects of its gameplay. Nerf. Firebrand. Kill. It. With. Fire.

Firebrand only is in need of tweaks core guardian lines and skills are totally fine.

Necro:Fine. Maybe nerf Reaper damage. The spec is really easy to play and do a lot of damage with, which is a problem. It isn't the worst thing in the world of course; however, it is gaining popularity simply due to how simple it is to pilot and still dish out an incomparable amount of damage.

Kind of inaccurate statement Reaper is gaining popularity not because its damage is high or that its "subjectively" easy to paly. Its because scourge is currently in shambles and core necromancer is beyond subpar due to being outdated in a lot of ways. Reaper is currently the most viable option in pvp (where having more offensive potential is the best defense) for the necromancer profession in general. Core can work but its more or less no more or any less effective its not "in a good place" with the current meta either as many people like to say, should everything else get nerfed down it might be in a "good place" but currently this is not the case. Reaper just being used more because scourge is currently not viable due to this risk/trade off of using it heavily out weighting the reward and potential it has in spvp.We also have to remember that reaper has walk to into danger to deal its damage which is still sub par to a lot of other professions and it has no "modern" kit tools to get out like others do. Its based on conditional defense in a meta where condi clear is heavily essential and a part of most players builds while allowing them to keep strong offensive pressure. Necromancer is also known for being focused over all other professions in the game partly because they can be destructive in a team fight but also because they have no easy way outs when focused. The term "really easy" is debatable. Solo play not so easy. Playing with 2 or 3 friends to watch your back 24/7 yeah kinda easy.

Engineer:Holo. Smith. Goodness gracious. If Firebrand is the most obnoxious elite specialization to play against, then holosmith is the second. And, I am sure there are arguments to be made that could flip those in a tier list. Holosmith has the same problem of being designed as a jack of all trades, master of none but operating as a master of all. It is too overtuned in almost all aspects of its gameplay, and it needs to be brought down to a reasonable power level. Focus on one or two things that can make the spec stand out, but having the entire specialization be an homage to imbalance is wildly unhealthy for the game. Nerf. Holo. Smith.

It just needs more risk, up the heat cost in forge make over heating a bigger risk to balance out the power they have.

@Burnfall.9573 said:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

I think mesmer and tif are on the similar boat, sinking, the more nerfs we get, the more degenerate builds we are forced to use. Such is life.Had a similar exp, was using power axe, and got called " condi abusing trash ".People need to seriously get educated before they make claims out of their kitten, I hate weaver with passion, But I have not made a single nerf comment or post.why? I have no bloody clue how they work, or what their streanghts or weaknesses are, Its meaningless if they are overpowered or not, untill i Know what they do, and how they tick, I will keep my trap shut when it comes to them.Forums would be so much better if everyone had this mindset.

The difference is that Thief Profession doesn't only effect one or few players but the majority of players including the game economy, its population and its financial economy

No other Profession effects all 3 except Thief Profession. Thief Profession is the main sole Profession for the economy decline, behind its population drop and most importantly for the game growth and its security

In other word, Thief Profession is the reason why guild wars 2 not being competitive, healthy and prosering

The better mindset is to either delete Thief Profession or to completely redesign it!!

-You want to have better reason to be mad, be mad to why the lesser of these two has not happen within the 7 years and so forth-

I'm sure the majority of the community including myself would obligate in welcoming Thief Profession redesign as a new beginning

Man what world do u live in? Lol.So I heard a couple of top players saying mesmer and how broken it was was a huge part of why esl didn't work out, not thief. How does thief's design effect other players anymore than any other class does? Lol u speak absolute nonsense.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Man what world do u live in? Lol.So I heard a couple of top players saying mesmer and how broken it was was a huge part of why esl didn't work out, not thief. How does thief's design effect other players anymore than any other class does? Lol u speak absolute nonsense.

Except top mesmers , like Supcutie (NA).... where dropping their mesmers , to use the S/d evade theif in the 100.000 tournaments .Cluess guy

Edit:https://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/guild-wars-2-are-thieves-and-mesmer-s-the-cause-of-the-meta#.VLUoBeUxwO0.reddit

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Except top mesmers , like Supcutie (NA).... where dropping their mesmers , to use the S/d evade theif in the 100.000 tournaments .Cluess guy

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

Ahhhhhh so I guess sindrener is clueess cuz he was the one that stated mesmer was the main reason why no one in esl wanted to touch gw2 due to the current balance of mesmer with the rest of the game. I'm also using that time frame as a reference to show a lot of other specs have had a huge mpact on gw2 balance than just thief. And the fact ur defending the hyperbole propaganda type speeches of a certain poster leads me to think ur pretty clueless. Oh and some mesmer players jumped to thief lmao so what? It's the closest playstyle to mesmer and if it fit the comps better why wouldn't they. So by ur logic thief supreme cause off issues if it's ever in a better spot the mesmer? Get real what a joke.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

Ahhhhhh so I guess sindrener is clueess cuz he was the one that stated mesmer was the main reason why no one in esl wanted to touch gw2 due to the current balance of mesmer with the rest of the game. I'm also using that time frame as a reference to show a lot of other specs have had a huge mpact on gw2 balance than just thief. And the fact ur defending the hyperbole propaganda type speeches of a certain poster leads me to think ur pretty clueless. Oh and some mesmer players jumped to thief lmao so what? It's the closest playstyle to mesmer and if it fit the comps better why wouldn't they. So by ur logic thief supreme cause off issues if it's ever in a better spot the mesmer? Get real what a joke.

If you are not Helseth , you are an oathbreaker to me .Buff up >bring something new in the meta>bail out .bbb

If you are cluesses , and you dont know that 2015 Mesmers spec , didnt have the current 2019 evasive capibilities . So it was NOT closer to the EVASIVE S/D THIEF .It gives you a hint that a top player dropped his SPAMM CLONE/MEDIUM CONDITION/HIGH BURST + MASS Teleport Ulti, to play a character that was 80% of the time immune for the money

Just stop typying , so you wont get rediculued any more ;https://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/guild-wars-2-are-thieves-and-mesmer-s-the-cause-of-the-meta#.VLUoBeUxwO0.reddit

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

@"Radagascar.6231" said:
Thief:

thief

Edit:

If you are not Helseth , you are an oathbreaker to me .Buff up >bring something new in the meta>bail out .bbb

If you are cluesses , and you dont know that 2015 Mesmers spec , didnt have the current 2019 evasive capibilities . So it was NOT closer to the EVASIVE S/D THIEF .It gives you a hint that a top player dropped his SPAMM CLONE/MEDIUM CONDITION/HIGH BURST + MASS Teleport Ulti, to play a character that was 80% of the time immune for the money

Just stop typying , so you wont get rediculued any more ;

Umm if I'm not herseth I'm a aothbreaker what, sry I dont speak neck beard or whatever geek garbage ur on about but I am gonna stop typing cuz reading ur gibberish is actually some how worse than burny's. If ur to simple to get a class that's glassy using miss direction and other untoward type skills as being closest to thief than ur a waste of covo. U can keep replying ur nonsense but I'm done wasting brain cells reading ur seriously special replies.

Let me , make it simpleYou are a casual , that simply promotes powercreep , by defendind your class .You did what other thiefs did before you , and then they bail out .You are in the same road , and you simply are waiting for newer games, with better combat than Archage

Until then , we have some conversations :P

Edit: because you keep tyingmesmer using miss direction = stealthS/d thief = uses evadesthief didnt have a group utility , like Mass Teleportation to force a 4v5 in midday and night

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:Let me , make it simpleYou are a casual , that simply promotes powercreep , by defendind your class .You did what other thiefs did before you , and then they bail out .You are in the same road , and you simply are waiting for newer games, with better combat than Archage

Trust me all u can to is make thing simple lol. yeah ur right I am a casual, been casual for 5 yrs in gw2 now cuz I have a life. U want a apology for that lol, ur views more important cuz u life the game chief? ? I dont promote power creep at all I just stand up to players who promote bias garbage nerfs outa ignorance such as urself :)

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Killthehealersffs.8940 said:Let me , make it simpleYou are a casual , that simply promotes powercreep , by defendind your class .You did what other thiefs did before you , and then they bail out .You are in the same road , and you simply are waiting for newer games, with better combat than Archage

Trust me all u can to is make thing simple lol. yeah ur right I am a casual, been casual for 5 yrs in gw2 now cuz I have a life. U want a apology for that lol, ur views more important cuz u life the game chief? ? I dont promote power creep at all I just stand up to players who promote bias garbage nerfs outa ignorance such as urself :)

promote bias garbage ignorance , it does include you :psaying that thief is underpowered and didnt have precence in the top pvpSpouting left and right ''condition theif , stuff/stuff , snipers specs i beat them with myy d/p , they dont need nerf , just l2p''and then you simply made posts over posts saying that the balane is garbage and then went to archage :P

thats an oathbreaker

promote bias garbage ignorance , it does include you :psaying that thief is underpowered and didnt have precence in the top pvpSpouting left and right ''condition theif , stuff/stuff , snipers specs i beat them with myy d/p , they dont need nerf , just l2p''and then you simply made posts over posts saying that the balane is garbage and then went to archage :P

thats an oathbreakerU sure are caught up on archage for some reason lol u do kno people play more than one vid, u dont play other vids than gw2? Gw2 pvp balance most certainly is garbage so? That means I cant play a few matches they the week lol. Make no sense man

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

thats an oathbreakerU sure are caught up on archage for some reason lol u do kno people play more than one vid, u dont play other vids than gw2? Gw2 pvp balance most certainly is garbage so? That means I cant play a few matches they the week lol. Make no sense man

Yeah i play other games , mainly PS1 emulators

But i dont go from balance is garbageto > inv ppl to join other games because balance suckto > and then move back to GW2 , saying that i know many ppl that came back because new pvp devs = new hopeto> going from thread to thread , saying that damage is a staple of rogue archetype , then in an other threads saying the same about evasion ....an other for mobility...an other for stealth.... an other about l2p...to > then telling others that balance is garbage , as a response when pressured

I simply hop on and off and i dont mess with the enjoyment of future balanceSomething you better do it too

That why we must have these constantly conversations :PUntil you understand it :PImmagine it like tango :P

can someone take all points and list them up? it helps also to see the most agrees/ disagrees.

On my side:

• Every part needs a counter part (block vs unblock, condi vs cleanse, stealth vs destealth, dmg vs reduktion, boons vs removal and more)
  • Every part needs a good amount of counter parts (if you can perma stealth and only a few classes could destealth you but need other tools also, stealth gets unbalanced!)
  • you should never be able to avoid a significant part of dmg by one/all sorce (eg. invulnerability, evades, resistance reduce a dmg source by 100%!), cause you need a minimal inpact (we allready have some traits and boons that do better like protection)
  • non meta builds, should also be not too far away from metas (btw i know that your allready working on it and i think you do well!)

now to the maps and team size:i think you dont really need new maps, but maybe more thinking over the basic 5v5 teammatches!

why?

• if ranked is districted to 1-2 players at a 5team match, they will mostly have hard times to find teams, for the next lvl (tournaments!). means a 6v6 or something like that map can help out.
  • If we play ranked atm, we have a big issue like on most other games: players are rated at a gamble mode (and most don´t now), instead of rating them the rolle they play. btw. having less then 50% influence on a rated game causes imo the biggest part of frustration and toxity.
  • gw2 has also potential to be a brawl game, but atm no rating or just a few tournaments for that
  • changing the maps for a smaller(2v2, 4v4) amount of players will grow the influence of a player at a match
  • changing the map for bigger (6v6, 8v8) amount of players, will need new mechanics to have more rolles that impacts different lines (like on lol, the jungle for a 5v5 or the buffs/ units/ defences on stronghold)

what else?

• we need to support ts/ discord. If players talk to others they mostly understand more actions of others => less flaming, toxity
  • everyone need a trainingsarea for themself, esp for pvp.
  • connect pvp with activities! they are also a sort of competition and they are varieties
  • dont call ranked, ranked as long it is mostly a gamble mode
  • you could work on a beginner tutorial, that also explains that we players have different goals for the same game mode
  • optimise the tournament times and add an option to make them more present (if wanted^^)

btw i didnt bring exact suggestions, cause imo you allready have a idea how to implement them.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:@"Cal Cohen.3527" Regarding this... "hard CC skills also doing large amounts of damage."

The Condition System could use a 2019 review. Most games used DoT skills, which made most sense and seems much easier to balance around. In wvw sometimes my outgoing conditions are cleansed away almost completely or sometimes they are overly effective against an opponent. There could be a middle ground maybe?

And just so you are aware, I have 6 Daze skills and 3 Stun skills on my Thief skill bar.

The team needs to not just reduce damage of Hard CC skills (and on some movement impairing skills), but there needs to either be (in addition to cutting out a bunch of hard cc skills from weapons and slot skills)...

1- Immunity timers after a player gets hit with 1 (ONE) Hard CC effect and movement impairing effect when the duration ends, or when a player
out of the effect.

OR...

2- Break Bars on players.

Getting Hard CCed and "snared up" by movement impairing skills and effects over and over and over and over and over... needs to go right away. MOA from
and
NEEDS to be considered a Hard CC skill that is countered by

There are also weapons and slot skills that drop too many different conditions and effects.

The team needs to revamp the condition system sooner than later, because it's not really great at all honestly.

God's love thank you!
, I have to wait for a honest thief player to come out and state the issues at hand. I have already stated that CC lock must go from this game and particularly I am looking at
Headshot
and
Pistolwhipe
, both those skills allow the thief player to assume two very
frustrating
playstyles to deal with.

1) Headshot : the thief just prevents you from doing any action by repeatedly spamming
at 4 ini for 15 ini, they can prevent you from using any skill meanwhile they pressure you with their
AA spam
, it's very hard to outplay a thief playing this way if you haven't got instant cast heals, instant stealth (like mesmers and engis) or passive heal ( like wars and eles )

2)PistolWhip : Again a spammable stun with
baked in evade
the thief just teleport in and can't be hit while cleaving for great amounts of dmg

What instant stealth do engi's have? Mine gets blocked if I'm in a dome cause my potion has to land last I checked.... With the gank wars that exist today I'm often dead before the invis takes effect.

@Hoodie.1045 said:I'll try to make this list brief for every profession:

Revenant

Revenant is also fine as it is in both PvE and PvP. Sure, some may want to see Facet of Light's healing reduced, but overall revenant is good as it is. Core revenant's Ancient Echo skill could use more useful.

i think they could improve some legends besides shiro, so they can be a useful opponent in pvp too. Like making jalis a bit more tankyfor example: Improving its healing (barrier per removed condition)Improve baseheal from vengeful hammers by 50% , increase damage reduction from VH from 20%->33% but making the energy cost to 7Bars

ΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞΞ