Trailer for Whisper in the Dark Lore Discussion

Michram.6853

@"Stephen.6312" said:I wonder if the whispers aren't just in the Commander's head. What if Aurene is the one addressed here, especially when we hear: "They'll betray you?" Maybe redditors are right to think that the original icebrood trailer, in which Jormag declares, "You don't fear death", is addressed to Aurene, who Jormag considers nothing more than a "champion".

What if Aurene killed all of those charr at the Vigil outpost? Maybe something happened and she lost control of herself?

I feel like I remember one of the devs saying the voice was aimed at Bangar in the original trailer.

And they can't be in the Commanders head only since the trailer actually explains (via Braham) they are in others too

If it was Aurene, the damage would be vastly greater than a few dead bodies. She's way more powerful than that when she's in control - out of control that fort would be obliterated

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Randulf.7614" said:If it was Aurene, the damage would be vastly greater than a few dead bodies. She's way more powerful than that when she's in control - out of control that fort would be obliterated

Sure, they probably will maintain in "shes too busy cleasing her Grandfather brand" to avoid Dragon Ball Z effect. Now shes a elder dragon, a creature capable to make even the Gods scary. Plus shes had the remains of Balthazar/Joko magic. I wonder if the true plot to be revealed is that Jormag is who had fear of Aurene, and in some way(whispers) he made Bangar fear her too.

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@"Divine Monk.2401" said:Wasnt wolverine a spirit that was also consumed? I mean owl wasnt the only one if i recall.

Dolyak, Owl, Wolverine, and Eagle are the four that directly turned to fight off Jormag and delay the dragon long enough for the other spirits to guide the Norn south to safety.

Owl is confirmed dead/consumed, the other three are "unknown" as they haven't had a havroun for a long time. Shamans, but no Havroun.

Dolyak/Minortaur returns at the start of the Norn character storyline (I don't remember which). however, I don't remember if it is said that Minortaur is indeed the one who fought Jormag or not at that time.

But I do love the idea of a "rotten" Spirit of the Wild, what happens when their lessons are corrupted/twiwted to fit some other ends. Out of all the magical/spititual entities of Tyria, the Spirits are perhaps the most mysterious left. Their relation to their species is left dubious, they have an innate connection to the Mist and abilities to allow some of their followers to walk in them freely and at will... Just like the Norns and the Kodans, really, whose origins and past are still quite unknown.

@Valmir.4590 said:

@"Divine Monk.2401" said:Wasnt wolverine a spirit that was also consumed? I mean owl wasnt the only one if i recall.

Dolyak, Owl, Wolverine, and Eagle are the four that directly turned to fight off Jormag and delay the dragon long enough for the other spirits to guide the Norn south to safety.

Owl is confirmed dead/consumed, the other three are "unknown" as they haven't had a havroun for a long time. Shamans, but no Havroun.

Dolyak/Minortaur returns at the start of the Norn character storyline (I don't remember which). however, I don't remember if it is said that Minortaur is indeed the one who fought Jormag or not at that time.

It's Miontaur, who is indeed considered separate from Dolyak, and not one of the ones who held the line in the north... although, now that the Sons have tried to feed him to an icebrood, I wouldn't be surprised to catch him helping us this time 'round.

@"Valmir.4590" said:Dolyak/Minortaur returns at the start of the Norn character storyline (I don't remember which). however, I don't remember if it is said that Minortaur is indeed the one who fought Jormag or not at that time.

But I do love the idea of a "rotten" Spirit of the Wild, what happens when their lessons are corrupted/twiwted to fit some other ends. Out of all the magical/spititual entities of Tyria, the Spirits are perhaps the most mysterious left. Their relation to their species is left dubious, they have an innate connection to the Mist and abilities to allow some of their followers to walk in them freely and at will... Just like the Norns and the Kodans, really, whose origins and past are still quite unknown.

Dolyak shares its name and position with Ox, not Minotaur. Dolyak/Ox has remained silent since Jormag's rise, with Forgal's father (presumably "Kern") being the last shaman of Dolyak/Ox.

As for rotten Spirits of the Wild, we actually have one example of what happens to them:

Once a great, northen nature spirit, Nulfastu descended into the dark arts in an attempt to destroy his brethren and usurp their powers. When his intentions were revealed, the other spirits struck down Nulfastu, binding his incorporeal body to this realm and his spirit powers to the next.

Beware! Nulfastu retains great power and should be avoided by all but the most heroic or foolhardy Norn. He can manipulate the minds of the living and is constantly surrounded by the spirits of those he has trapped. The lone survivor of an encounter with Nulfastu reported he appeared as a simple rabbit before wresting control of her mind.https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Nulfastu_Earthbound

It's unclear what Nulfastu was before becoming twisted and fallen, but it was like a powerful vaettir/Nightmare (whom are the souls of the dead turned vile) afterwards.

@Stephen.6312 said:I wonder if Jormag helped the Elder Races forge the bloodstone? What if the Elder Dragons and the Elder Races formed a truce when the ED's revealed that the DSD must flood the land in order to purge his torment? All of the terrestrial Elder Dragons were in on it. As part of the deal Jormag gave the races artifacts like the Sanguinary blade, Edge of Destiny etc. Could this be why Kralk was mad at Glint? She allowed the Margonites to be destroyed, in so doing rendering the Crystal Sea a Crystal Desert, preventing the cycle of torment resolution and forcing the DSD's hand?

Nah it didn't, The Bloodstone was made by the Seers specifically to hide magic from the Elder dragons and their corruption.. so it's very unlikely Jormag or any Elder Dragon for that matter was involved with it's creation.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Loesh.4697 said:Judging by the Boneskinner concept art it appears like the base creature for the Boneskinner was a charr, though it's body has long since 'evolved' past those easily recognizable features. Still if you wanted to create a creature that embodied the darker aspects of Charr society that we're exploring, the Wendigo spirit is a good choice for representing that insatiable bloodthirst, ruthlessness, and desire to conquer that they can exude. I am curious about that bone amulet around it's neck which appears to made of several different remains tied together. Did it make that for itself, or did someone put that amulet onto it?

Missed this bit before, but I had a similar thought that it was based off of the charr rigging. I was thinking that they took a charr and made a new animation set for being on all four. However, others reminded me of the Vinetooth rigging (also used by Awakened Abominations) which seems more likely considering it. Lorewise, though, it could be a twisted charr.

@"Kalavier.1097" said:Maybe it's a mutually beneficial thing? Boneskinner drives people insane, which makes them easy prey to join the icebrood, so it's left alone? I'm curious of it's origins, and the wildlife situation of the region. We know that Orr was entirely Risen (wildlife, plants, and people), while the jungle had creatures and mordrem.

If the boneskinner is sapient, then all it really needs is to refuse Jormag's whispers to avoid corruption, and be a good enough hunter for the icebrood to not attack it.

On different topic than the boneskinner that's gotten everyone's attention, there's an interesting things of note:

We see multiple individuals glowing red. There's the
, but in the trailer there's also another kodan at 0:38 and again at 0:58, and in the release page screenshots, there is
as well as a
. I'm very curious what this affect is, as so far it's fully unhinted at entirely.

Then the two new icebrood models. What's interesting about them is that they have a
very similar glow
as the above red glow, but it's blue. The same blue as the Icebrood Construct. In the trailer at 0:37 we see an old Icebrood model with this glow, and in the release page we have
who also appears
inside the Icebrood Construct
at 0:49 of the trailer.

And the few shots we got of vaettir, they have the same style of glow... but green. Most notable at 0:40 but also at 0:31. The Boneskinner is also hued green, but lacks this particular style of glow.

What's even more curious about these glows is that they're the same kind of effects as the new "Essence Manipulation" mastery which comes in traditional RGB colors.

And here's something I note about that mastery shot:
  • Red beam used against a green-glowing Vaettir.
  • Blue beam used against a red-glowing Kodan.
  • Green beam used against a blue-glowing Icebrood.

So it's a rocks-paper-scissors kind of setup using RGB color coordination by the looks of it. Evil spirits are green (necromancy?) - perhaps tied to the Boneskinner then who's also green - and are weak to the red beam. Evilized kodan/norn are red, and are weak to the blue beam (Icebrood essence?). Then the icebrood are blue, and weak to the green beam. Doesn't really play into the Primordus/Jormag weaknesses, so I'm rather curious what the essences are, but it seems related to why these kodan and norn are going berserk, what the Boneskinner is and how these Vaettir have remained uncorrupted in the Far Shiverpeaks.

Incidentally, this observation may give a hint to the nature of the Boneskinner as being related to vaettir. Either a very powerful vaettir, or perhaps indeed a fallen Spirit of the Wild like Nulfastu.

Definitely appears to be a connection between colours and beam weaknesses, I think you more or less nailed it there.

This appears to be a running trend in Gw2 with these 3 colours, if I recall the Vale Guardian had 3 Guardians with it using the same colours and going back to LWS1 we had Scarlets 3 Watchknight bosses in LA using the same 3 colours too..The 3 WvW colours, Ooze pit event areas.. there are probably more examples that I just can't recall at the moment.

I like how these glows kinda remind me of how Gw1 boss creatures used to have a coloured effect on them.. the colour in their case representing their class.

@Fueki.4753 said:I wish they'd have made it yellow instead of green though.Not only does it look better than green, but with yellow we would have all three primary colours used by that feature.

Primary colors of light are red, green, and blue, which is why that combination is used all the time.

You're thinking of pigmentation colors, which is often represented as blue, yellow, red, but is technically cyan, yellow, magenta. Would be interesting to see some CMYK color combinations now and then though - the Halloween Polyluminescent is almost there by having cyan and black, shame they used orange and green instead of red and yellow.

Are you guys going to play this episode with your Norn?

I have a Raven-blessed Herald Norn that I created a long time ago, and she has Stag racial armor and Nevermore too.

Anybody else does something similar to kind of get in mood? Or you just go with the shiniest Ice Encasement Asura or something? :D

I also particulary want to play for 2nd time with my Sylvari to see how they interact with the whispers of yet another Dragon.

@"Arden.7480" said:Are you guys going to play this episode with your Norn?

I have a Raven-blessed Herald Norn that I created a long time ago, and she has Stag racial armor and Nevermore too.

Anybody else does something similar to kind of get in mood? Or you just go with the shiniest Ice Encasement Asura or something? :D

I also particulary want to play for 2nd time with my Sylvari to see how they interact with the whispers of yet another Dragon.

My main is my Norn (and my Multiverse gaming character for all games) so I'll be completing it first on him followed by my Noble Human.

After that, I'm tempted to skip some story stuff on older toons to get them into it, but I don't really like doing that. My Norn Rev (bottom pic) may be an exception though

xppnCwd.jpg

q8Uajod.jpg

j70tE3t.jpg

rETLJUc.jpg

@Arden.7480 said:Are you guys going to play this episode with your Norn?

I wont be, my Norn sits abandoned at level 10 cause i cant bring myself to level another Character xD ill be playing as my Charr!

@Dante.1763 said:

I wont be, my Norn sits abandoned at level 10 cause i cant bring myself to level another Character xD ill be playing as my Charr!

Sounds good to me :)

@Fueki.4753 said:Didn't they gave up on special dialogues for specific groups?If not, there are a lot of missed opportunities regarding Balthazar and human players that chose him.

there were some dialogues if you picked Kormir or Balthazar as your god, but not too much. But you know, if you play lore-wise, then you want to know every single detail, I like to go for theme so there is a big chance I get something extra, like as a charr in the Prologue I got a different letter from Bangar for example. There are small easter eggs that I learnt I don't want to miss, it builds immersion for my experience and brings more value to the story.Hopefully my Raven-blessed Norn will get to hear more from the Raven spirit or something.

example: That's Kormir! She blessed me at birth, but I never thought I'd—hail to you, Goddess of Truth. (Facing the Truth as Human blessed by Kormir)

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Arden.7480" said:there were some dialogues if you picked Kormir or Balthazar as your god, but not too much.I didn't notice any difference my Balthazar-Warrior and Grenth-Revenant though.

There's a minor difference the first time you meet him in PoF- "Balthazar! Stop this! I've prayed to you and enjoyed your blessings for as long as I can remember. I won't allow you to commit more atrocities. If you won't talk, we have to treat you as the enemy." Other humans replace the sentence about praying to him with "Your war will kill everybody but the Elder Dragons."

@"Fueki.4753" said:Didn't they gave up on special dialogues for specific groups?If not, there are a lot of missed opportunities regarding Balthazar and human players that chose him.

Rather than saying they gave up, it'd be more accurate to say they had minimal variance due to the effort and cost. However, with Bound by Blood, they had quite a number of variances in dialogue for charr, and even more for Blood Legion charr than Ash or Iron.

I played through Bound by Blood on my Ash charr and actually felt like I was playing an Ash charr, whereas for other races it felt a lot more generic (reasonably so, though I would've liked more variance for humans).

For Path of Fire and meeting the gods, there was one line variance for Balthazar-blessed humans during The Sacrifice and during Facing the Truth there's one line that's varied quite a bit:

If human blessed by Kormir:Character Name: That's Kormir! She blessed me at birth, but I never thought I'd—hail to you, Goddess of Truth.If human not blessed by Kormir:<Character Name: Kormir... I've seen statues and shrines, but I never imagined—hail, Goddess of Truth. We need your help.If charr:Character Name: That must be Kormir. Hail to you, "Goddess of Truth." We need your help.If norn:Character Nam>: This must be Kormir. Hail to you, Goddess of Truth. We need your help.Otherwise:Character Name: That must be Kormir. Hail to you, Goddess of Truth. We need your help.

The charr was my favorite because it was delivered with sarcasm when getting to the title. But as you see, the norn line is varied, but just "that" to "this". This is how most line variance occurs throughout the post-PS storylines (exception being sylvari during HoT). Minor things that don't really reflect the PC's race, or is just a variance of exclamation (e.g., "By the Pale Tree!" gets turned into "By the Six!" or "By the Spirits!" etc.).

To say there were missed opportunities with Kormir and Balthazar is an understatement. But they were fairly minimal about it in PoF and S4, far more than HoT and S3, and even that was minimal compared to what charr got in Bound by Blood. So hopefully they'll keep that up with charr and make more variances for norn in the future episodes.

I may or may not play the episode with my Norn warmaster, but her story will definitely involve going up there. I'll have her unlock the map at least :).